Thread: Re: Official Offeseason Wishlist

Default Re: Official Offeseason Wishlist

(first post attempt #2):

Hi guys, long-time reader, first-time poster.... so be nice!

Ever since our game 5 loss I've been trying to dream up some reasonable trade scenarios to address our biggest hole (PF). It seems pretty clear to me that Utah is our best trading partner. Not only have they recently acquired Favors, but most mock drafts I've seen have them taking another big if they stay put at #6 (since a big will likely be the BPA). While I'd be stoked for either Millsap or Jefferson, I think I'd rather have Jefferson due to his length and ability to create his own shot. But, he won't come cheap; it'll take WAY more than Rush plus our pick this year (as someone wildly dreamed earlier in this thread) because Al was actually pretty efficient this year and showed a lot of improvement.

So, here's the trade proposal. Tell me what you think.

Indy trades: Paul George, Posey's expiring, this year's first
    Utah trades: Al Jefferson

Why we do this: well, our offensive production will see an immediate boost because our talent will be well-distributed over the starting five. Al + Roy makes us long up front (perhaps the best front-court in the East?). Our first this year isn't likely to be as valuable for us (weak draft) as a team that is rebuilding. Plus, Jefferson's contract is very reasonable, with only a couple years remaining.

Why Utah does this: George gives them some much needed depth at the wings; the trade makes them a better shooting and defensive team on the perimeter. This also allows them to promote Favors to the starting lineup as well as promote Millsap to team captain. They'll also be able to find time for either Kanter or Biyombo (two bigs they'll have to take a serious look at if they fall to #6).

With an aging Granger (who's still elite, IMO), we need to gear up for a 2-3 year run before Boston re-tools and after Miami implodes because of the new CBA (fingers crossed!!!). While I'd be sad to see George go, we definitely get the better end of this trade in terms of winning now.... you just don't get a guy with Jefferson's abilities too often; nor do you get the opportunity to put him at PF with a legit 7-footer too often. I'd take this trade in a heartbeat, even if we had to throw in an additional future pick.
    Last edited by Indy4eva; 04-30-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Sports Logo

Welcome.
    Most people here will trade George only if a superstar is involved... so don't expect too many people to like this trade.
    Al Jefferson is a good player who can improve our team, no doubt, but this might be a bit too much.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Welcome to PD.

This is a tempting trade, I won't lie, but PG24 is basically not tradable for me. But Collison/?/Granger/Jefferson/Hibbert is incredibly tempting.

thanks for the replies.

Let me offer a little more defense of the trade. btw, I watched a lot of Utah basketball this year (b/c of Hayward).

Jefferson got off to a relatively slow start while he was adjusting to a new system and new teammates. His numbers weren't spectacular through the all-star break. But, his second-half numbers, despite the utter chaos that ensued) were outstanding (approx. 25ppg and close to 10 rpg). Those are near superstar numbers. He could do for us what Z-Bo has done for the Grizz; he's not terribly athletic, but he is nigh-unguardable in the post. Again, only 27.

Now, while I like PG, if he can nail us a 27yr old 20-10 guy, then I'd consider our pick last year to have been very valuable.

btw, I just ran this trade past some Jazz fans on another message board and they seem to think they could get more for Al. Most don't want to trade him, preferring to get rid of Millsap.

Like, REGGIE FOR 3!!! cgehlhausen4's Avatar

Yah im not trading PG. In a couple years he will be averaging 20+ per game and be defensive player of the year. Jefferson is old.
    Craig "The Coon" Gehlhausen

Wishlist ??

I wish people on this board wouldn't over-react so much. Granger has a 5-15 shooting night and it's "Trade Granger. Granger sux. What can we get for Granger - his trade value is really low now." On the flip side - McBob goes for 12 and 10. All of a sudden he's the #2 PF in the league. "Sign him to a 5 year-90 million dollar deal. He'll carry the franchise."

Happens all the time. I'm just wishing everyone could be a little more level headed in their reactions to things that just happen over an 82 game season. At one point or another during the season - everyone on the team had played a bad enough game or 3 to be traded or simply cut.

There's just a happy medium to all of this. We have a good group of guys and just need 1 or 2 little tweaks to be 'contenders' again. Have faith in the guys, have faith in the people in charge ............... and relax at times.