Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this Make Sense?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Does this Make Sense?

Next move? in In:
    If Memphis is looking to cut salary AND keep the current style of play, wouldnt a trade of Gay and Mayo for Granger, Rush and/or 15th pick this year make sense? Memphis saves money and gets a cheaper second option in Granger. Indy gets more talent.

Joel Brigham:
    I'd have to look at the salaries, but I don't know that that's cutting a whole lot of salary. You're probably looking at fewer years left on the Granger deal, which is what you're referring to. But whatever. Forget the money thing for a minute, and just looking at the basketball aspect of it I think it makes a lot of sense for both teams. We know Indy wants Mayo b/c they already traded for him once (but didn't trade for him in time), and they've got the money they're willing to spend on a free agent who's never going to come and play there. Grabbing Gay's long-term deal forces a solid player that way. Him plus Mayo makes Indiana EXTREMELY formidable next season... like, one of the best young cores in the league formidable... and Memphis saves some money, keeps their entire starting lineup from this year's great playoffs, and adds Granger, a decent pick, and you could even throw Josh McBob in there, too. Why not?

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?C...#ixzz1MFDUuUpA
    Sittin on top of the world!

Sports Logo

Default Re: Does this Make Sense?

What doesn't make sense to you?

Rudy Gay + Mayo

for

Granger + 15th Pick

The only reason why it doesn't makes sense is that I don't see much of an upgrade in Rudy Gay to Granger and therefore why the Pacers do it in the 1st Place. Sure...Mayo is great to get...but at the price of taking on a slightly younger Rudy Gay who has a bigger and longer contract?

Pass....
    [I]Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This would be a tough one to pass up.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Wow, I don't know. We will have the youngest core, and a really promising one too.
    But...
    Do we really need George, Gay and Mayo? They're 21, 24 and 23. Are we supposed to have so many young wings who are still developing their game? I can't really call that optimal.
    I would honestly rather do a George+Picks for Gay than this trade. I still have to think about this trade.
    This is really interesting.
    Last edited by yoadknux; 05-13-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This would be a tough one to pass up.
    Grangers contract is reasonable for his production but Gay's isn't. He is owed 15 next year and it goes up to 19 mill in 2015. Also mayo only has one more year on his contract as well so what if he doesn't resign?

I don't think the deal makes a whole lot of sense personally.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Didn't realize he was being paid that much. That makes it tougher.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They have almost identical stats, and i dont see roughly 3 million per year more just to have a slightly younger version of Danny worth it.

Banned

Gay is younger and better than Danny, so yes sign me up

Sports Logo

Getting Gay is basically having Granger before he made his MIP step. If Gay takes this step and stays with it, he's a superstar. This is our chance of getting one. This is a risk, question is whether we take it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would say no just because of the money issue. I rather sign a FA or two than use a few more Million for a guy that will play around the same as Granger. Also the George plus pick for Gay is also a bad deal, George has the potential to be a top notch player in this league and just cannot be traded in my opinion, we would get way less value for him.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post
    They have almost identical stats, and i dont see roughly 3 million per year more just to have a slightly younger version of Danny worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Gay is younger and better than Danny, so yes sign me up
    Read the post I've quoted other than yours. The two players are VERY similar, with the statistical edge going to Granger, along with Granger having a much cheaper contract. Do you still feel the same?

Rudy Gay is what we all hope and dream Paul George will become. Not to mention we'd be getting everyones man-crush O.J. Mayo. If Bird were to pass this up he'd be a damn fool.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Gay is a little over 2 years younger, but he's only been the league 1 year less than Danny. I was a big supporter of Rudy, and lately not so much of Danny, but this feels like making a deal just to make a deal. If we want Mayo, and I dont. Just offer up some cap space and some type of pick, like they wanted in the first place.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    Rudy Gay is what we all hope and dream Paul George will become. Not to mention we'd be getting everyones man-crush O.J. Mayo. If Bird were to pass this up he'd be a damn fool.
    I guess I just dream bigger than most of us then.

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    Getting Gay is basically having Granger before he made his MIP step. If Gay takes this step and stays with it, he's a superstar.
    Sorry but Gay is younger and IMO already better than Granger. He made his "MIP step" last year. Maybe you haven't watched him play or have the bias since Memphis stepped up without him? I'd have to think long and hard but my initial reaction is "Yes please!"

Does this address either of the two main needs of the team?

First/Second scorer and banger down low?

If not, does it leave money to address these issues or hamper you.

If you think its a net gain from a talent and longevity standpoint, but if it keeps you from doing the other things you need to do moving forward, I don't know.

With that said, I agree Rudy Gay is big time with room to keep getting better. I don't think I can say that about Danny. Although I think Danny will get smarter, I think Gays ceiling is pretty high.

I guess I just dream bigger than most of us then.
    I was thinking the same thing.. George will be easily better than Danny, and Gay is barely better than Granger.. So I think George will be better than both of them for sure. Never underestimate hard work when paired with skill.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    Sorry but Gay is younger and IMO already better than Granger. He made his "MIP step" last year. Maybe you haven't watched him play or have the bias since Memphis stepped up without him? I'd have to think long and hard but my initial reaction is "Yes please!"
    But do you think he's 29 million better than Danny?

Mood

Sports Logo

I like this trade, but I'm still very iffy on Gay. He's a great player, one of my favorites, but I'm not sure of the degree he'd make the team better. If we got a future pick, that'd be nice, but I don't think we can be too greedy if we were making this move. If nothing else, we could move Gay for a better piece before his contract takes a leap, in the event that George gets significantly better by then.

I'm still on the fence with this trade, though.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

I hate to trade Granger after watching him in this year's playoff, but we're talking about RUDY GAY!! Before he got hurt, I seriously doubt we could've traded for him with just Granger and Rush, but right now we're talking about getting Gay AND Mayo with just Granger and Rush/#15!! I don't see how you can pass that up (unless Gay's salary somehow impedes our chances of signing Hibbert/DC/PG in the future..)!! Granted, this is just an idea from someone's chat, but if this deal is on the table, I'd do it.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersRule For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    IMO gay is a two much like Granger. He doesn't address the real problem of a closer and he gets paid alot more to be a number 2 guy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    If you put in Rudy Gay vs Danny Granger in a Google search you get 10 different forums comparing the two and asking who would you rather have. Almost all of them consider Danny the more talented, although a less athletic player.

http://heat.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/...72/m/207107446

I'm a Granger apologist. I have no shame in that either. He's easily my favorite current Pacers player. I still have to agree that Rudy Gay is slightly better than Danny. I think that Rudy's athleticism and ability to attack the rim is better than Danny's.

They both are good 3-point shooters but Danny gets the nod there but Rudy hit 39.6% of his attempts this past season.

Rudy is a much better defender as evidenced during the 2010 WBC where Danny was outplayed and essentially benched because of him. Rudy averaged 1.7 steals per game and 1.1 blocks. His perimeter defense is excellent.

Overall, Danny is the better scorer but Rudy is the better defender.

Money-wise is where the decision gets much easier to make. Rudy isn't a max contract player but will be paid like one for the next 4 seasons.

The Pacers have 2 good perimeter defenders in George and Jones - that's not as big a need as scoring is, IMO. The Pacers should keep Danny and try to add a scorer through free agency.

The only players I could agree with trading Danny for are Eric Gordon, Steph Curry, or Monta Ellis because the Pacers won't lose out in the scoring department and they would gain a guy that can create his own shot off the dribble.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

But do you think he's 29 million better than Danny?
    Just to expand on what you're saying, below is the breakdown of how much Rudy is owed ( compared to Granger ):

Rudy Gay's Contract:

2011-2012 - $15.03 mil
    2012-2013 - $16.46 mil
    2012-2013 - $17.88 mil
    2012-2013 - $19.31 ( Player Option )

Total Owed over the next 4 seasons - $68.68 mil Guaranteed

Granger's Contract:

2011-2012 - $12.02 mil
    2012-2013 - $13.06 mil
    2012-2013 - $14.02 mil

Total Owed over the next 4 seasons - $39.1 mil Guaranteed

Not only is Rudy owed $29 mil more in guaranteed Salary, his contract is longer and easily adds $3 mil in Salary over the next 3 seasons.

The question is....is Rudy that much better then Granger that he is worth paying that much more?

My answer is no. I'd rather keep Granger at his current Salary, make a run at Mayo WITH a TPE+1st offer and use that $3 mil per season in Salary saved ( that would have gone towards a Granger for Rudy trade ) towards a PF or some other Player that we need.
    [I]Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

Rudy Gay + Mayo

for

Granger + 15th Pick

The only reason why it doesn't makes sense is that I don't see much of an upgrade in Rudy Gay to Granger and therefore why the Pacers do it in the 1st Place. Sure...Mayo is great to get...but at the price of taking on a slightly younger Rudy Gay who has a bigger and longer contract?

Pass....
    That, my friend, I thought was the million dollar question

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

Rudy Gay + Mayo

for

Granger + 15th Pick

Pass....
    Also , wasnt the reason Rudy played over Granger at the World Finals because LB thought he was better?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post: