Thread: Marcus Thornton

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Marcus Thornton

He is young, and he can score the ball, what do we think about trying to sign him this summer? I think he would make a nice edition to this young core, and i dont think he would require a huge salary.

I havnt seen much of his game other than box scores and highlights, so anyone with more knowledge feel free to share it.

Default Re: Marcus Thornton

He was huge for the Kings after they traded for him, and they have lots of cap space too. Not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was huge for the Kings after they traded for him, and they have lots of cap space too. Not happening.
    The Kings arnt exactly a stable franchise lol, and they are by no means close to making noise in the playoffs for atleast another 2 years. Marcus could instantly be a big part of a competitive playoff team here, so i think there it could very well happen.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Marcus Thornton is also a restricted free agent. Sacramento can match anything we offer if they want him back, and it looks like they do. Not happening as Doddage said.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

younger version of jamal crawford... i'd rather go after thornton than crawford as a 6th man type.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I like him, but SAC has more cap space than us and they get the final offer... so unless something huge happens we won't be able to get him

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    I like him, but SAC has more cap space than us and they get the final offer... so unless something huge happens we won't be able to get him
    Yeah, thats true, forgot he was resticted.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

No he's not, he's unrestricted.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Mood

He's another high-upside guy. Struggled towards the end of his tenure in NO, but the trade seemed to invigorate him.

I'd love this move. Young, should be an effective 6th man for years to come, and a capable spot-starter.

Quote Originally Posted by thatch3232 View Post
    He is young, and he can score the ball, what do we think about trying to sign him this summer? I think he would make a nice edition to this young core, and i dont think he would require a huge salary.

I havnt seen much of his game other than box scores and highlights, so anyone with more knowledge feel free to share it.

This was just discussed 2-3 weeks ago indepth! Why the re-hash? I guess you might have missed the thread.

I posted then that the reason he was traded was b/c he doesn't/wouldn't play "D". Monty Williams wouldn't put up with it, hence the trade for Landry who has been a big help to NOLA after West went down.

I also pointed out Thornton is a blackhole who took 23 shots per game after coming to the Kings, hence the points he puts up. Your talking about a player who takes approximately 25% of a teams shots!

I'm not looking for a backcourt of DC and Thornton with little perimeter "D". I don't want to watch opposing guards waltzing down the lane for easy baskets. I've had to watch that for years. I want a player like PG and Dahntay who can help with perimeter "D". One who also has the ability to score. Someone like a Tony Allen or Courtney Lee would be better fits than Thornton.

I hope this sheds some light on Thornton for you.
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 04-29-2011 at 10:37 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    No he's not, he's unrestricted.
    I think some people have reported it wrong. As far as I could determine, he's a restricted free agent under the current rules.

Restricted free agency applies to players coming off a 4 year rookie contract, as well as to veteran free agents with 3 years of service or less. Thornton is second year, so the second provision applies.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q37

What may be confusing some people is that Bird rights don't kick in until after 3 years of service. Bird rights allow a team to exceed the cap to re-sign their free agent. So it's possible for a team to own restricted rights on a second year player but still be unable to match another team's large offer, which famously happened with Gilbert Arenas. This does not apply to Sacramento, however, who are comfortably under the cap.

All this is under the current CBA however. The new CBA could change things, who knows.

No thanks, Don't need a low rent Danny Granger

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I think some people have reported it wrong. As far as I could determine, he's a restricted free agent under the current rules.

Restricted free agency applies to players coming off a 4 year rookie contract, as well as to veteran free agents with 3 years of service or less. Thornton is second year, so the second provision applies.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q37

What may be confusing some people is that Bird rights don't kick in until after 3 years of service. Bird rights allow a team to exceed the cap to re-sign their free agent. So it's possible for a team to own restricted rights on a second year player but still be unable to match another team's large offer, which famously happened with Gilbert Arenas. This does not apply to Sacramento, however, who are comfortably under the cap.

All this is under the current CBA however. The new CBA could change things, who knows.

He was a second round pick. That does not apply to him. He is unrestricted this year.

Now do we want to try and get him? I would he can score in bunches, but as stated his defense is lacking. He would seem to be a great guy to have off of the bench, but if you look at his career he plays way better when he is given starter minutes. He played well next to Collison in New Orleans, but unless we don't have Granger and George is going to start at SF I would rather have George at SG starting than Thorton.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    He was a second round pick. That does not apply to him. He is unrestricted this year.

Now do we want to try and get him? I would he can score in bunches, but as stated his defense is lacking. He would seem to be a great guy to have off of the bench, but if you look at his career he plays way better when he is given starter minutes. He played well next to Collison in New Orleans, but unless we don't have Granger and George is going to start at SF I would rather have George at SG starting than Thorton.
    For the reasons bolded, I think Thornton is worth a shot at the right price. People need to remember, young guy, he can be developed.

Defense is something that you can teach.

Plus, I would only be interested in him as the 6th man, could be quite a spark from that position.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    Restricted free agency applies to all players with 3 years of experience or less. Read the link. He's restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

Defense is something that you can teach.

Not always. If a player isn't interested and doesn't want to learn they won't. If he wanted to learn to play "D", he'd still be in NOLA. He was given training camp, pre-season, and 2/3 of the season to learn under Monty Williams to learn. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't force him to drink. Thornton wants to be a scorer only, and let someone else play "D". He averaged 23 shots per game after being traded to the Kings. That's ridiculous for a player of his quality! Obviously passing isn't his style of game.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Not always. If a player isn't interested and doesn't want to learn they won't. If he wanted to learn to play "D", he'd still be in NOLA. He was given training camp, pre-season, and 2/3 of the season to learn under Monty Williams to learn. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't force him to drink. Thornton wants to be a scorer only, and let someone else play "D". He averaged 23 shots per game after being traded to the Kings. That's ridiculous for a player of his quality! Obviously passing isn't his style of game.
    1. Good point, and I agree, it isn't a guarantee that he can learn "D".

2. He averaged 17 shots/game in Sac-Town, at least according to ESPN.

3. His most effective year, when he played with DC: 25 Min/gam, 12 FGA, 45%, 38% 3PT, 81% FT, 14.5 points.

When he was with NOLA this past season, he averaged 7 attempts a game. Then he goes to Sacramento, plays with Tyreke/Cousins and starts taking a ton of shots because they don't play "D", they just shoot.

I believe its worth the risk, if he's available, to get him to where he was when he played with DC. I don't think he's neccesarily a starter, but could be a great 6th man. And who knows, maybe you do start him, depends on progression.