Thread: Vogel wants interim tag removed

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Vogel wants interim tag removed

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....ap/index.html

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Displaying the positive attitude that energized the Indiana players and fans, interim coach Frank Vogel explained why he believes he should be the next head coach.

Vogel took over for Jim O'Brien at midseason, went 20-18 and led the team to its first playoff berth since 2006. The Pacers were competitive in losing their first-round series to the Chicago Bulls.

"One thing I learned the last three months is that I can do this," he said. "I'm confident in my leadership abilities, my management abilities, my coaching abilities. It's been an honor to coach the last few months, it would be an honor to coach in the future."

Team president Larry Bird was impressed with Vogel's performance. He said the 37-year-old would get the first interview for the head coaching position.

"I think Frank did an excellent job, stepping in without the experience of a head coaching job," Bird said. "The way he conducted himself, he brought positive energy to this team. We won more games than we lost. We did it with a young team, a team that's trying to grow."

The mood around the team quickly changed when Vogel stepped in. Early in his tenure, he claimed that Eastern Conference powers Boston, Miami and Orlando wouldn't want to play the Pacers when - not if - they make the playoffs. He said the talent to win big already existed on the roster, and he told leery Pacers fans to hop on the bandwagon.

That confidence earned the respect of the players. Guard Dahntay Jones hopes Vogel returns.

"It would be a breath of fresh air to know we have some stability and some consistency," Jones said. "Frank's done an excellent job in the interim. When he's coaching us, the focus is on the positive, helping us get better, helping us find a niche. He's done a great job with us."

Forward Tyler Hansbrough's minutes increased dramatically under Vogel.

"Frank's done a good job," Hansbrough said. "I don't know what they're going to do. I'm not a part of that process. But he's done a good job."

Vogel accomplished what he said he would, yet he felt he could have done more.

"I was hopeful it would work better, to be honest with you," he said. "I thought we could have made a serious run this year. This group has a high ceiling. A high ceiling for what they can achieve in the future."

Vogel said he understands that the decision on his future could take some time. It's uncertain if Bird will return as team president because he's in the final year of his contract. Either way, Vogel said he'll be patient.

"It's really up to Larry and the front office," he said. "Anytime you're making a decision as important as this, you never want to rush into it. Whatever timetable they decide is fine with me."

Vogel introduced "smashmouth" basketball, an approach that focused on driving to the basket to put pressure on defenses rather than on shooting a lot of 3-pointers. He moved Hansbrough, a second-year player, and Paul George, a rookie, into the starting lineup and restored third-year center Roy Hibbert's confidence.

"I believed in the young guys we have on the team, and that if we went with them, the way we utilized them and the way we changed our style of play, that it would work," Vogel said. "I think it did work."

Vogel said the day he was hired that he would tighten the playing rotation.

"Earlier in the season, guys didn't know it they were dressing or if they were sitting out or if they were going to play," Bird said. "Under Frank, we sort of knew the three guys who weren't going to dress. They knew their roles. There's a lot more communication. I think the last 25, 30 games, Frank did a good job of letting the players know where they stood."

Once roles became clear, the locker-room environment improved.

"We came together as a team," Vogel said. "That doesn't always happen, where guys really pull for each other and genuinely care for each other, fight for each other, work for each other and really just come together as a team in the true sense of the word. That's what I'm most proud of with this team."

The Pacers won seven of their first 10 under Vogel, then hit a stretch in which they dropped 8 of 9. Indiana rallied to win 10 of its next 15 and clinch a postseason berth.

"My message at that point was that competition has a way of raising the level of your play, and it worked out that way," Vogel said.

Bird likes the way the Pacers finished the season.

"At the end of the season, he got them back," he said. "We probably performed as well in the playoffs than at any part of the season. That's a good sign."
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vogel wants interim tag removed

It doesn't really say anywhere in the article he wants it removed.. It's just obviously insinuated. He's a vivacious "young man" by NBA head coaching standards, of course he thinks he can do this. I myself do think he is poor mans Brad Stevens. I'll remove the poor only after the interim tag is removed and he brings us a consistent run during the season. Not just a slight splash in the playoffs.

I'm a huge fan of him and the Pacers.. I went to both the playoff games here but it was just a slight splash in the grand scheme of things. We've just been looking for anything to help hold us above water.

I am more uncertain today than I was a week ago but I do think Frank is our guy.
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers4Life For This Useful Post:

I want it removed, too.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My opinion is clear.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I've known he would be a good coach since his interviews on Pacers live postgame shows since like 2008.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The man has EPIC press conferences. Sign the man a contract lol.

Btw I started a group on here for supporting Frank and him becoming our head coach next season.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Constellations For This Useful Post:

Guess I have to break up this party. No decision on Vogel until the interview and if he doesn't bring in some vet coaching experience on the bench I say no.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

What does he need a veteran assistant to do for him, exactly? What's the glaring weakness? His strategies and tactics are solid, and there's no reason to assume they can't improve. He's proven thus far to be a very effective motivator and manager.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guess I have to break up this party. No decision on Vogel until the interview and if he doesn't bring in some vet coaching experience on the bench I say no.
    He doesn't need to. He just needs to bring in assistants that will coincide with his strategies on offense and defense. He has handled the coaching job well being a first timer as the head of the coaching staff. He just needs to improve the gameplay of his team and employ new strategies.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    What does he need a veteran assistant to do for him, exactly? What's the glaring weakness? His strategies and tactics are solid, and there's no reason to assume they can't improve. He's proven thus far to be a very effective motivator and manager.
    I'm not sure a veteran assistant can help with the weakness he has, which is simply the lack of head coaching experience. If you could talk someone who has been a head coach into being an assistance just to give us a little "ahh, I've been there before, this is the decision I had to make" ability, I'd love it. Not very likely, but I'd love it. Ultimately, a young team led by an inexperienced head coach seems to me too much like we can find ourselves in a situation neither the players nor the coach can cope with and start going around in "blind leading the blind" circles.

Another concern I have is with his ability to be a hard liner if/when things go badly. I begin to get the feeling Bird had to step in during the whole Lance thing, and it doesn't give me happy tingles. Bringing in an assistant who can be the bad guy might be a requirement.

With just the last part of the season and the preseason, we really don't know what flaws in the offense are player ability, lack of time for changes, or inability to work on multiple levels. The simple offense is nice but proves too easy to counter, could it be corrected with a training camp?

IF you could evaluate him for a year and then decide, I'd be for that, but you simply can't do that - coaches in the NBA don't work year-to-year except with teams they've already coached for some time. You have to give him at least 2 plus an option with the idea that you pick up that option unless things go horribly wrong - and it is more likely you'd need to give him 3 plus an option. If there's a better coach available - and I'm one of those who likes the thought of Adelman coming here - you've got to think long and hard about it.

I'd be fine if Vogel comes back as Head Coach, but I'll understand if the FO goes a different way. I'd love it if somehow we could keep Vogel as assistant under a veteran head coach with the understanding that he is the anointed successor, but I think a veteran team without a coach will likely snap up Vogel before that.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    I want it removed, too.

it will get removed one way or another. Either he'll be the head coach or he'll be the former interim coach.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I want Frank the Tank back, as well. 2 year contract. Do it Larry/Herb/Whoever.

BTW, new avatar in support of our guy.

If Frank does need someone to give him the "been there" conversations and to be a task master, I'd actually prefer that be Bird, who has a position of power over the players that a coach does not, than an assistant. That said, if he was willing to stand up to Posey, I doubt he's going to be a pushover.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Another concern I have is with his ability to be a hard liner if/when things go badly. I begin to get the feeling Bird had to step in during the whole Lance thing, and it doesn't give me happy tingles. Bringing in an assistant who can be the bad guy might be a requirement.

I hear jim o'brien Is available.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He needs someone to question and debate with, and experience is key in that situation.

It's a coaching staff, and all of them are VERY important. He needs people he trusts, and who know NBA basketball. Getting a coaching staff with inexperience questions is like playing with fire.

You might not get burned, but there's a strong possibility you will. It's better to be prepared, and get people with strong areas where you're lacking.

He's lacking experience.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

If Frank does need someone to give him the "been there" conversations and to be a task master, I'd actually prefer that be Bird, who has a position of power over the players that a coach does not, than an assistant. That said, if he was willing to stand up to Posey, I doubt he's going to be a pushover.
    I had thought about that, but Bird isn't going to be there every day. You don't want things getting bad enough that Bird has to step in from outside, you want someone who sees it when it starts and can grab Vogel's ear right away.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a fatal flaw, just a gap that I'd like to see filled. The suggestion made elsethread of Sam Mitchell as an assistant actually has a lot of merit if he'd take it.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Just in general terms, I'm not too sure having a soft head coach and a tough task master assistant coach (yes I'm using hyperbole and yes I've taken the names out of the discussion on purpose) would work. The head coach is in charge he decides minutes and if he is soft it won't matter how tough an assistant coach is.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Just in general terms, I'm not too sure having a soft head coach and a tough task master assistant coach (yes I'm using hyperbole and yes I've taken the names out of the discussion on purpose) would work. The head coach is in charge he decides minutes and if he is soft it won't matter how tough an assistant coach is.
    I think you're right in that it won't work as well as a taskmaster coach and an assistant who is the player's friend, but I think it could work depending on how much authority the coach gives the assistant. If the assistant is seen as having the coach's ear and some real influence over things like minutes then he'll be effective.
    BillS

I don't think Frank needs someone who can be tough, I think Frank needs someone who is experienced. And there's a big difference. Maybe a more experienced guy would be able to help Frank out with, say..when to call timeouts at the right time, at the end of the games...(although, Frank got better at that as the series went on. That's one of the things I really liked about him, he's a quick learner)

Frank can be tough. We've heard about it a few times. And we've also heard the players say that when Frank gets tough, they pay attention because he's not tough all the time.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    I think I still agree with this Sookie though I think your point is valid too.

But anyone who's coached knows the value of having a right hand guy to look for the stuff you overlooked, to cover your back, and to give you some counters to your strategies. Things you cook up always sound great in your own head.

Little League is small potatoes but the problems remain the same. I had years with great help and years where I was mostly on my own. On my own, even at my most experienced, was always overwhelming. There are just too many options to consider and issues to track.

Having that coach that notices Player X shies off on defense if he gets early fouls or that Player Y misses a later weakside rotation if he's first put in a PnR are the kinds of details an assistant can pay attention to while the HC is focused on the overall play development.

Another concern is that his focus as video scout allowed him to notice all these details, and those details only remain similar for a short window of maybe 2-3 months. As time goes on the HC gets more and more out of touch with what he was looking at when his only job was to study video.

He simply won't be able to devote the same time to this as he was previously. So he'll need a replacement "him" that sees the same kinds of things he does. One big issue with lack of experience is lacking the pack of trained assistants who have learned how to approach coaching from you.

But even good coaches had to have a first season. Maybe this is his.

Also, with the whole Lance thing..I think Larry made Vogel play Lance, so he probably needed Bird's okay to stop playing him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...f=10&t=1109621

Interesting to see what Bulls fans have to say about Frank.

A little bump since we were discussing who/what was needed to upgrade Vogel's coaching staff....See, Larry does read PD.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....