Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simon Responds to Bird's Presser

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Simon Responds to Bird's Presser

I wonder what potential FAs think of Vogel and whether that might come into consideration as to whether to remove the interim label or go after a veteran coach.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No idea, I don't see any cows here... Honestly I haven't heard anyone call it that. And 1990 was a long time ago man. Certainly things have changed quite a bit since then.
    LOL

I know, it was my first station in the Air Force, I was 18

I still had fun while I was there, we used to get an extra military ID , then we would use a razor to cut the last number of our year so it made us 21.

We would hit the clubs, sometime we got in sometime we didnt, but I did have fun. I think what I didnt like at the time was Sac was the west coast style of cities were they are spread out and not congested like be east and mid west
    Sittin on top of the world!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Why do they call it CowTown ?
    Chris Webber.

Oh I loved San Fran/Oakland and I agree but thats not Sac
    I guess the point I was really trying to make is that there is not going to be an enormous difference between Indy and Sacramento in terms of free agents wanting to go there, based on the quality of city. They are both small markets with some good things to offer. Pros and cons to either place.

You made it sound like people would run screaming to Indy to avoid having to go to Sacramento, which is just not an accurate assessment IMO..

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    I guess the point I was really trying to make is that there is not going to be an enormous difference between Indy and Sacramento in terms of free agents wanting to go there, based on the quality of city. They are both small markets with some good things to offer. Pros and cons to either place.

You made it sound like people would run screaming to Indy to avoid having to go to Sacramento, which is just not an accurate assessment IMO..
    No doubt

Im sure if you took a pool of NBA players and asked would they rather live in Sac or Nap it would be fairly close
    Sittin on top of the world!

Here's what Bird's conversation with Simon should be like about this summer and our impending cap space

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sac sucks the sweat off a dead mans balls
    That's pretty rough really.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Constellations For This Useful Post:

I really really hope that the new CBA lowers the salary cap significantly

That will give us a lot more pull because teams will suddenly need to shed payroll, and we could provide cap relief while aquiring someone of talent we couldnt get in this years FA class

Right now only Sacramento has more cap room than us, and when I was in the Air Force I was stationed near Sacremento

No offense to anyone from there/living there but

It makes Naptown look like NYC

Sac sucks the sweat off a dead mans balls

meaning with all our money, and especially if they lower the tax, I think I could see players chosing Nap over Sactown
    I lived in Davis, CA, next door to Sacramento for awhile, and you're claims seem pretty questionable to me. I was pretty happy with my time in that area with the available small, medium, and large city experiences (Davis, Sac, and SF, respectively), especially with trips to the Bay area on the weekends. The Bay area shames Indy in a wide variety of ways. I live just outside of Indianapolis now and am not saying it's a bad city, but it's certainly not San Francisco. I was particularly fond of the universities and employment opportunities in that region, especially Cal, Stanford, UCSF, and UC-Davis and strongly considered staying long-term. I still think about it occasionally. Great hospitals and clinics. It's a good place to be for my field of interest and a great place in general.

Regarding NBA players specifically, that's going to vary somewhat by personal preference, but regardless Sacramento isn't that bad of a place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I live just north of Sac and it is a great area. Everything you could want or need is close.
    I just bought some land in the foothills of Oroville CA.

And to everyone that questions, there is a reason I'm moving to the Sacramento area from Indianapolis. Sacramento area >>>> Indy area.

k, bye

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swish For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wilk39 View Post
    Great to see both statements, I'm just hoping we don't get too anxious this summer. This team still needs a year or two to grow and oversigning for a player who is not going to turn us into contenders (David West, Carl Landry) would do more harm than good.

Landry isn't going to command the type salary West will. He "might" get Foster type salary of 6 mil, maybe less. That sure isn't going to be oversigning, and I don't see getting Landry as more harm than good.

Is Landry the answer to the PF position, maybe not, but signing him wouldn't be the ruination of the Pacers anymore than Bird giving Foster 12.6 mil for the last 2 years.

The Pacers play in a nicer arena and are a much better team than the Kings.

That alone makes Indiana far more attractive than Sacramento.

This is the jet age- NBA players can hop on a plane and be in the mountains or on a beach in a couple of hours no matter what team they play for.

Banned

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6450849

Bird is in the final year of his contract and owner Herb Simon said Friday that they will meet in the next 10 days to discuss Bird's status. Either they will agree on an extension, or the franchise will part ways with one of the state's greatest hoops heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    You have to love the fact that Bird has the balls to call out the owner (who is also his boss) and force him to lay his cards on the table.
    I don't get this statement. I believe it either signals internal confusion and argument within the Pacer management, or Bird already knew the owner's position and just publically stumbled. You take your pick.

This statement, along with O'Brien's continued disparaging comments over an extended period of time, which I would view as an executive as totally unacceptable, tell me that the Pacer management team could do with some basic management and communication mentoring.

Good teams speak with one supportive voice, not because they don't disagree, but because they have done the hard work necessary to get aligned.

Bird's statement, especially in light of the owner's response, was mickey-mouse and childish. It didn't take any balls to say it because it took no thought at all.

UPDATE: No evidence of internal disagreement. Just Bird being an amateur and unnecessarily throwing his owner under the bus.
    Last edited by Whiskeyjim; 04-30-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Update

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Whiskeyjim For This Useful Post:

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjim View Post
    I don't get this statement. I believe it either signals internal confusion and argument within the Pacer management, or Bird already knew the owner's position and just publically stumbled. You take your pick.

This statement, along with O'Brien's continued disparaging comments over an extended period of time, which I would view as an executive as totally unacceptable, tell me that the Pacer management team could do with some basic management and communication mentoring.

Good teams speak with one supportive voice, not because they don't disagree, but because they have done the hard work necessary to get aligned.

Bird's statement, especially in light of the owner's response, was mickey-mouse and childish. It didn't take any balls to say it because it took no thought at all.

UPDATE: No evidence of internal disagreement. Just Bird being an amateur and unnecessarily throwing his owner under the bus.
    I took Bird's statements at the presser to mean he had spoken to Simon and that he wasn't sure what the owner wanted to do and they would get together in a couple weeks to discuss.

In the mean time Vogel, the team, the fans and Bird are left hanging. Bird says he wants to come back and be able interview coaches and hire one, prepare for the draft, start exploring trades and know that he can spend money to improve the team.

Simon wanted to do it on his time frame but Bird was saying let cut to the chase NOW so I can get on with things. If you want me as GM you gotta spend the money to let me build the team!

Simon seemed to come around quickly based on his comments later that day to Rich Nye. Whether you agree with the way Bird handled it or not it did take balls to throw your billionaire boss under the bus before you have a new deal.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjim View Post

What I took from Bird's presser was something like "Ok boss, our future is upon us. Are we gonna be mediocre or are we gonna do what we have to do to be great? I know what we need and I know who I want."

I agree 100% with Larry. We've got resources now. We need to make the most out of them.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

god i hope we don't spend money up to the luxury tax on free agents THIS summer. huge mistake that would be. nobody worth the money this year.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    I just bought some land in the foothills of Oroville CA.

And to everyone that questions, there is a reason I'm moving to the Sacramento area from Indianapolis. Sacramento area >>>> Indy area.
    Especially in Jan., Feb. and March. Summer just the opposite.