Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kravitz end of the season sit down with Bird..

Default Kravitz end of the season sit down with Bird..

I love how Larry is pretty blunt, in particular about Lance.

While I appreciate the job he has done & would be more than willing to welcome him back. I think he owes it to Herb Simon and the franchise to not drag this out. In fact by now my thought is if he doesn't know what he wants to do then I'm not sure he should be leading this going forward. I want 100% committment all the way around from everyone.

Either way, another positive Pacer piece by Bob.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...ll-long-way-go

For the first time in years, the Indiana Pacers can say "wait till next year" and not have it sound like a threat. A 20-18 regular-season finish and a competitive five-game playoff series loss to the No. 1 seed Chicago Bulls has Indiana fans finally coming out of self-imposed exile.

There is, however, a long way to go for this franchise.

A really long way to go, with a lot of changes still to come before the Pacers become any kind of challenger in the Eastern Conference.

"Anybody who watches us play a little bit and has any basketball IQ knows what we need," team president Larry Bird said Tuesday. "It's no secret. Everybody around the league knows what we're looking for in the draft and free agency."

No. 1: A long, athletic power forward who can score and defend at the basket.

No. 2: Another perimeter scorer (O.J. Mayo?) who can take some of the load off Danny Granger.

So where do you find these guys?

Free agency is always a roll of the dice, especially for a small-market team that isn't a hot spot for young, single athletes. That's particularly true this year with an uninspiring free-agent class. So for the most part, it will have to come through trades, much like the one last year that landed Darren Collison.

"Teams are going to be shedding payroll," Bird said. "With the money we're going to have, we'll be able to do some things this summer. And whatever we can't do, the next summer we'll have another $10 million coming off the (salary) cap."

The greatest improvement has to come from within the roster. Bird gave capsule summaries of several players as they head into an important summer:

Roy Hibbert has to continue getting stronger. "It's always going to be about his strength," Bird said. "But he'll be fine. The biggest problem is he gets down on himself."

Regarding Collison, ditto on strength. Once he was deprogrammed after months under fired coach Jim O'Brien, he flourished. Next year, he needs to attack more.

Tyler Hansbrough has to develop more ways to score, including developing a left hand and some subtle moves around the hoop. On a 50-plus-win team, he's probably a 25 minutes per game rotation player.

"With him now, it's in-game adjustments," Bird said. "When they switch the way they're playing him, he has a hard time picking it up and adjusting, and he's getting frustrated. But that takes time."

Paul George has to learn how to put the ball on the floor and create more scoring opportunities inside the 3-point arc. That said, Bird loves his work ethic, calling him "one of the five best young guys I've been around in all my years in the game."

Granger had a good playoff series, but Bird felt he took some small steps backward this year and wants to see him step up his game.

"He's a top-30 player," Bird said. "I've always thought he could be an All-Star and he's close, but he's not there yet. I didn't think he was as committed consistently as he's been in the past. It would be really nice if he could be our second scorer.''

Brandon Rush? Somebody has to explain why they picked up his option. My sense is he'll be dealt this summer.

"He's so inconsistent," Bird said. "I hate to see him turn into a role player. All the skills he's got, but he's not consistent."

Lance Stephenson has to have some kind of personal revelation this summer, or he's going to waste a precious gift.

"When he's playing, he's fine and has as much talent as anybody on this team," Bird said. "He's a long shot, but he's my ace in the hole. If we can get him to grow up, he knows how to play . . .

"I know he's a pain in the *** and the guys in the locker room get frustrated with him, but I'm not giving up on him. Unless he does something crazy."

Before anything happens, though, the first domino has to fall, and that involves Bird.

Does he stay or does he go? We spoke for 40 minutes before Tuesday's game; one second, he sounded like he was staying, the next, like he was leaving.

His tenure has been a mixed bag, some hits and some misses, but he has done the big-picture things the Pacers needed, establishing a young nucleus while getting the team out of salary-cap purgatory. He has earned the right to call his own shot here.

Whatever he does, he must do it quickly. Bird would like to remain and do the draft, but it's only fair for a new team president to come in and begin building the team the way he sees fit. And Bird is fine with that.

Once the Bird question is settled, then interim coach Frank Vogel's future can be addressed. By any measure, he has done an amazing job, and I'd like to see him be rewarded.

That said, I've been struck by how nobody on this team, on or off the record, has said, "Absolutely, positively, Frank should get the job." The furthest anybody will go is, "Yes, he's done a very good job."

It's going to be an intriguing summer, one the Pacers have been pointing toward for years.

Bob Kravitz is a columnist for The Indianapolis Star

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Default Re: Kravitz end of the season sit down with Bird..

I knew it!! The players want a real coach.
    Protect the Promise!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good read.

But I'm telling you, give Frank the keys and let him have a summer camp and he'll turn this into a 45-50 win team.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Constellations For This Useful Post:

Paul George has to learn how to put the ball on the floor and create more scoring opportunities inside the 3-point arc. That said, Bird loves his work ethic, calling him "one of the five best young guys I've been around in all my years in the game."

WOW thats high praise. not surprising though after seeing his tweet at 5am after a playoff loss that he was just coming out of the gym.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Banned

So if Bird wants Granger to be our second scorer, who does he want to be our primary scorer?

"He's so inconsistent," Bird said. "I hate to see him turn into a role player. All the skills he's got, but he's not consistent."

Anyone else remember a big aurgument about the word inconsistent earlier this season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Anyone else remember a big aurgument about the word inconsistent earlier this season.
    You really want to bring that up again? The things that Brandon is inconsistent with isn't his three point shooting, its everything else...

Reading what he said about Paul George, wow. One of the 5 best young guys he's ever been around? That is some high praise coming from Larry Bird. Another reason I think this kid will be special for us.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

OH wow I pray and hope Bird stays. We're obviously on the same page. I mean he nailed it, he was painfully obvious about the glaring weaknesses on this team and what they need. I hope and pray he stays with us. Because I don't want someone else to walk in here clueless about what this team needs.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Reading Bird's thoughts were almost identical to my entire feelings about this team. We need Bird to come back... He knows what we need.

I like the Bird/Morway/Vogel trio moving forward.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Bob Kravitz with three straight good columns! I'll be darn!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Bird doesn't pull any punches, does he. For what's it worth, I think his evaluations are dead on. Guess he's not trying to talk up any of our players for trade purposes

Regarding Lance's problems, on the plus side Bird seems to be on the ball. On the other hand, is his talent really that good to be worth the aggravation? Guess Larry has earned the benefit of the doubt.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

No mention of the impending lockout. Hopefully he'll relay his thoughts on that in the next few days.

Also he sounds like he's in deep with Lance. He has to know that he should be able to drop the kid from the team the moment he ****s up (again).

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

"I know he's a pain in the *** and the guys in the locker room get frustrated with him, but I'm not giving up on him. Unless he does something crazy."
    Damn...if you're a player and you're known as "A pain in the ***," I don't know why he's being kept around. Especially the 12-15th man.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    IOnce the Bird question is settled, then interim coach Frank Vogel's future can be addressed. By any measure, he has done an amazing job, and I'd like to see him be rewarded.

That said, I've been struck by how nobody on this team, on or off the record, has said, "Absolutely, positively, Frank should get the job." The furthest anybody will go is, "Yes, he's done a very good job."
    This deserves some discussion.

Why haven't the players said they want Frank as their coach. Are they just covering themselves? No one wants to go out on a limb?

I think what Kravitz is saying here, that no player on or even off the record (you know Wells will back this up) is saying that Frank should get the job is extremely revealing and to me that is a huge red flag.

Makes me wonder. Do the players think yeah Frank was great as the anti-Job, but as the full time coach for the next 3 seasons they aren't sure. Do the players think Frank is too soft on the players, is he too positive - that can get old pretty quick.

This makes me completely re-think whether Vogel should be the coach going forward.

Some of you will think I am over-reacting, but what the players think is vital

One thing I will say and I do not know if this applies to Vogel or not. But a coach does need to be really strong with X's and O's, because late in a close game when the players go into the huddle with their coach, they have to believe what the coach is saying, the play he is calling the set he is drawing up. A coach can be a great motivator, a breath of fresh air after the previous coach, but there has to be some real substance in reserve
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-28-2011 at 08:39 AM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    No mention of the impending lockout. Hopefully he'll relay his thoughts on that in the next few days.

Also he sounds like he's in deep with Lance. He has to know that he should be able to drop the kid from the team the moment he ****s up (again).

I don't think management can comment. I mean he can say things are business as usual for now, hoefully things get worked out, we are proceeding ahead as if there won't
    be a lockout.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm a little surprised Bird was so blunt and straight-forward with his answers. However, as a fan, it's great because you get a feel for what he thinks of a lot of the players. His opinion isn't different from what a lot of us have already figured out, but it's nice to see he's on the same level of thinking.

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This deserves some discussion.

Why haven't the players said they want Frank as their coach. Are they just covering themselves? No one wants to go out on a limb?

I think what Kravitz is saying here, that no player on or even off the record (you know Wells will back this up) is saying that Frank should get the job is extremely revealing and to me that is a huge red flag.

Makes me wonder. Do the players think yeah Frank was great as the anti-Job, but as the full time coach for the next 3 seasons they aren't sure. Do the players think Frank is too soft on the players, is he too positive - that can get old pretty quick.

This makes me completely re-think whether Vogel should be the coach going forward.

Some of you will think I am over-reacting, but what the players think is vital

One thing I will say and I do not know if this applies to Vogel or not. But a coach does need to be really strong with X's and O's, because late in a close game when the players go into the huddle with their coach, they have to believe what the coach is saying, the play he is calling the set he is drawing up. A coach can be a great motivator, a breath of fresh air after the previous coach, but there has to be some real substance in reserve
    I think I agree. Don't get me wrong, I loved the job Vogel did this year. Loved it. But, in the final minutes of each game of the playoffs, he showed his lack of experience and actual coaching abilities. Perhaps a more experienced coach or one with better X and O's could have staved off the furious comebacks that the Bulls had. Maybe I am wrong, but that stood out to me.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    I think I agree. Don't get me wrong, I loved the job Vogel did this year. Loved it. But, in the final minutes of each game of the playoffs, he showed his lack of experience and actual coaching abilities. Perhaps a more experienced coach or one with better X and O's could have staved off the furious comebacks that the Bulls had. Maybe I am wrong, but that stood out to me.

Not to get off on this tangent (as I would want to go back and re-watch the late game situations because just because they didn't score doesn't mean the coach didn't call a great play) but in general I think the bigger problem is the Pacers lack of go-to-scorer, not the plays that are being called

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I could have sworn that Granger and McRoberts were on record that they wanted Vogel back as coach? McRoberts even went as far as to say that he'd run through a wall for Vogel.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to luis3ep For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    So if Bird wants Granger to be our second scorer, who does he want to be our primary scorer?
    I think he's banking on Stephenson. I can't say which coach but I was told off the record last summer they were worried about his head/maturity, but he had the talent to be more than an allstar. We're talking Deron Williams, Carmello Anthony skills.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Not to get off on this tangent (as I would want to go back and re-watch the late game situations because just because they didn't score doesn't mean the coach didn't call a great play) but in general I think the bigger problem is the Pacers lack of go-to-scorer, not the plays that are being called
    I think part of the problem was the plays being drawn up. Not just the end of 4th quarter, but at the end of every quarter seemed to be an ISO for the point or Granger and they all failed miserably. I didn't see one ISO executed very well. Part of it is also execution too.

The coach should not have drawn up so many ISO. No one can create their own shot, so the logical thing would be some kind of ball movement, whether a screen or pick and roll.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Can you imagine having to sit down and talk to Kravitz for 40 minutes about how you perform your job?

Anyway, far as no players coming out with a strong "Keep Coach Frank," I don't make much of it. I'm sure they'll be consulted by the people that actually make the call when the time comes. Them not saying it to the media just tells me they're a pretty young bunch and none of them feel like they have the type of pull to say something like that.

Glad to see Larry holding Danny accountable for some of the regressions he made pre-playoffs.

Do think it's time for all of us to face reality with Rush. Yep, has the tools, been plenty long enough to realize he'll never put them to full use. It's not him becoming a role player, he already is. Sure he'll continue to tease us every so often, but he is what he is. Use him in situations like Vogel did at times on Korver, lock and trail type defender, he shines there. Offensive floor spacing to keep a defense honest. If the shot's off or the opponent doesn't have a guy they run through a billion offball screens, let him sit. There've been bigger mistakes than Brandon Rush in NBA history, hell in Rush family history.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 04-28-2011 at 09:38 AM.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I think the proper way to proceed is to let the process work its way out with interviews for the job. Priority number one is what is Bird going to do. I am concerned about the wishy-washy way he is about the subject. That makes me think he is really split about it. With that kind of conflict maybe someone else should take over who is fully commited. I hope a fully engaged Bird comes back.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I think the term go-to-scorer is very broad in meaning. I mean everybody on that team can be a go-to-scorer, but they just to assign one player on that. The only skills that a go-to-scorer need is to be able to shoot the ball in crunch time, whether it's a jumper, a dribble drive or an alley-oop. The critical part is what is the most suitable play for your go-to-scorer. Reggie is the go-to-guy for points. Does he have crazy dribbling skills? No. Does he have great athleticism? No. Can he create his own shot ala Jordan or Kobe? No. But how is he successful as a go-to-guy for points? They have great set plays for him, like screens and picks and specific player movement for him to get open jumpers. That's just it. The key is on the set plays for your chosen go-to-guy.