Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing Game 5 no-call (with video)

Mood

Sports Logo

Default Disappointing Game 5 no-call (with video)

I'm not going to ***** about the lousy refereeing in any of the games, but the fact that the NBA put this as one of their top plays of the night without recognizing the foul is just disappointing.

It's easy to see in the first replay that Rose doesn't block any of the ball, but rather slaps his hand into Roy's. Also, from the looks of it, Noah was holding onto him and/or pulling him down. This obviously should have been a foul call and the fact that it wasn't just goes to show that either (a) the refs suck/can't see/other excuse, or (b) the NBA is continuously rigged to raise up the top team(s) and/or bring down the Pacers (or just the 8th seed).

Cmon, NBA. Have a little integrity. You can't give turn a bad no-call into a highlight for the sake of buffering the probable MVP. This bulls*** makes me not want to watch pro basketball anymore if the Pacers are just going to keep getting unfairly pushed around and cheated out of very important (or not) games. We don't deserve this kind of unfair treatment.

Can I get an amen?
    Last edited by imbtyler; 04-27-2011 at 10:53 PM.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Default Re: Disappointing Game 5 no-call (with video)

The hand is part of the ball and if there was any contact from Noah is was very minimal.

I think the correct call was made - no call.

TNT owns NBA.com, so I dont think you are correct in suggesting the "NBA" decided to use this as a highlight, TNT decided to use it. Does the NBA have editorial control of NBA.com? Probably, but I don't know if they control everything on that site

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

we lost, move on

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IUfan4life For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The hand is part of the ball and if there was any contact from Noah is was very minimal.

TNT owns NBA.com, so I dont think you are correct in suggesting the "NBA" decided to use this as a highlight, TNT decided to use it. Does the NBA have editorial control of NBA.com? Probably, but I don't know if they control everything on that site
    Is the hand really part of the ball? I've seen plenty of fouls called where a player gets hit across the hand during a shot.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Is the hand really part of the ball? I've seen plenty of fouls called where a player gets hit across the hand during a shot.

if the hand is on the ball or the part of the hand is on the ball I think it is part of the ball and therefore it is not a foul.

Most of the fouls you are frerring to I think is when the defender hits the lower part of the hand when that part of the hand is not touching the ball

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    Cmon, NBA. Have a little integrity. You can't give turn a bad no-call into a highlight for the sake of buffering the probable MVP. This bulls*** makes me not want to watch pro basketball anymore if the Pacers are just going to keep getting unfairly pushed around and cheated out of very important (or not) games. We don't deserve this kind of unfair treatment.

Can I get an amen?

A-FREAKING-MEN brother..

Basically, feels like a "kicking dirt on us while we down" .. kinda thing..
    Last edited by Kemo; 04-27-2011 at 11:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

If that's Dahntay Jones making the block on boozer- foul IMO. Just how the NBA works. Maybe the reason SA is shooting way more FTs than the Grizzlies in the game tonight.

Only with the NBA do you find this, and only in the NBA do you see people stand up for ****ty refereeing. The NBA is the only league where the underdog is always fighting an up hill battle against the other team AND the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Only with the NBA do you find this, and only in the NBA do you see people stand up for ****ty refereeing.

What do you mean?

Thing is, your starting center should be powerful enough to dunk the ****ing ball through this kind of contact...

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Awesome play by Rose and a good no call by the ref.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

What do you mean?
    Despite the well known fact that NBA refs give preferential treatment based off of media attention and perception there are always people willing to defend them no matter how bad of a call it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Thing is, your starting center should be powerful enough to dunk the ****ing ball through this kind of contact...
    Thank you. Who the hell whines about this? If Hibbert was any kind of an NBA center, he would have attacked the rim so hard there that it couldn't have possibly been blocked.

I'm actually embarrassed that a 7 ft center got blocked by a 6 ft point guard. It's disgraceful really.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Despite the well known fact
    Is it a well-known fact? Threads like this one seem like complaining to me, not fact.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Is it a well-known fact? Threads like this one seem like complaining to me, not fact.
    I don't see how you can say that with decades of video evidence saying otherwise. Everyone knows it, except for a small minority of people who don't want to accept it. I can't accept that trained NBA refs cannot see what a stadium of Joe Blows can see in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Thank you. Who the hell whines about this? If Hibbert was any kind of an NBA center, he would have attacked the rim so hard there that it couldn't have possibly been blocked.

I'm actually embarrassed that a 7 ft center got blocked by a 6 ft point guard. It's disgraceful really.

I don't know why people are so up in arms about this lol. First of all that really didn't have **** to do with Hibbert "Not throwing it down," Taller people just can't jump as high and aren't at all as quick off of their feet, especially Hibbert. they jumped at the same time, but with Rose actually being able to get higher than hibbert faster, Rose was able to block it before Hibbert could barely get it over the rim. It happens pretty often with tall centers really.

It's a part of the reason why defensive backs in football are shorter. Being quick off your feet helps even with taller receivers.

At the end of the day though, it does look embarassing lol. But really I don't think Hibbert deserves to have his aggressiveness questioned because of this..... and to the Topic: I say Rose got a completely clean block.

EDIT: I would also like to add the fact that Hibbert was flat footed and rose was not.
    Last edited by Gold; 04-28-2011 at 01:37 AM.

I think that is a really really good block and there was no foul!

I don't see how you can say that with decades of video evidence saying otherwise. Everyone knows it, except for a small minority of people who don't want to accept it. I can't accept that trained NBA refs cannot see what a stadium of Joe Blows can see in real time.
    Because 99% of the time those Joe Blows are wrong about the call, exhibit A being the Rose play this thread is about.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hand is part of the ball and that's the way it is in all levels. Good block by Rose, but Hibbert has to get better at finishing.

It was a nice block, but everybody so far has missed that Rose touched the rim on the block. It should have been a goal tend, but I can see how the refs missed it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    It was a nice block, but everybody so far has missed that Rose touched the rim on the block. It should have been a goal tend, but I can see how the refs missed it.
    I am not sure if that was goaltending. His hand hit the rim from blocking Hibbert. Good no call.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_11...av=ArticleList

Section I-A Player Shall Not:
    a. Touch the ball or the basket ring when the ball is using the basket ring as its lower base.
    EXCEPTION: If a player near his own basket has his hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if his contact with the ball continues after the ball enters the cylinder, or if, in such action, he touches the basket.
    b. Touch the ball when it is above the basket ring and within the imaginary cylinder.
    c. For goaltending to occur, the ball, in the judgment of the official, must have a chance to score.
    d. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.
    e. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight.
    f. Trap the ball against the face of the backboard. (To be a trapped ball, three elements must exist simultaneously. The hand, the ball and the backboard must all occur at the same time. A batted ball against the backboard is not a trapped ball.)
    g. Touch any live ball from within the playing area that is on its downward flight with an opportunity to touch the basket ring. This is considered to be a "field goal attempt" or trying for a goal.
    h. Touch the ball at any time with a hand which is through the basket ring.
    i. Vibrate the rim or backboard so as to cause the ball to make an unnatural bounce.
    PENALTY: If the violation is at the opponent's basket, the offended team is awarded two points, if the attempt is from the two point zone and three points if it is from the three point zone. The crediting of the score and subsequent procedure is the same as if the awarded score has resulted from the ball having gone through the basket, except that the official shall hand the ball to a player of the team entitled to the throw-in. If the violation is at a team's own basket, no points can be scored and the ball is awarded to the offended team at the free throw line extended on either sideline. If there is a violation by both teams, play shall be resumed by a jump ball between any two opponents at the center circle.

All three of these occurred on the play. Rose was touching the ball and basket ring, when it briefly entered the ring, and his combination of touching the basket ring and the ball hitting it caused the goal to shake.

I can totally see how the refs missed it. It was in traffic and you see most of on the replay above the basket, but you could still see the rim shaking.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

a. Touch the ball or the basket ring when the ball is using the basket ring as its lower base.
    EXCEPTION: If a player near his own basket has his hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if his contact with the ball continues after the ball enters the cylinder, or if, in such action, he touches the basket.
    b. Touch the ball when it is above the basket ring and within the imaginary cylinder.
    c. For goaltending to occur, the ball, in the judgment of the official, must have a chance to score.
    d. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.
    e. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight.
    f. Trap the ball against the face of the backboard. (To be a trapped ball, three elements must exist simultaneously. The hand, the ball and the backboard must all occur at the same time. A batted ball against the backboard is not a trapped ball.)
    g. Touch any live ball from within the playing area that is on its downward flight with an opportunity to touch the basket ring. This is considered to be a "field goal attempt" or trying for a goal.
    i. Vibrate the rim or backboard so as to cause the ball to make an unnatural bounce.
    PENALTY: If the violation is at the opponent's basket, the offended team is awarded two points, if the attempt is from the two point zone and three points if it is from the three point zone. The crediting of the score and subsequent procedure is the same as if the awarded score has resulted from the ball having gone through the basket, except that the official shall hand the ball to a player of the team entitled to the throw-in. If the violation is at a team's own basket, no points can be scored and the ball is awarded to the offended team at the free throw line extended on either sideline. If there is a violation by both teams, play shall be resumed by a jump ball between any two opponents at the center circle.

All three of these occurred on the play. Rose was touching the ball and basket ring, when it briefly entered the ring, and his combination of touching the basket ring and the ball hitting it caused the goal to shake.

I can totally see how the refs missed it. It was in traffic and you see most of on the replay above the basket, but you could still see the rim shaking.
    I think it could go either way. The evidence you showed makes sense, but I'm not sure if it is considered a shot when it was blocked. Doesn't really matter though since we lost by 27.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

The only thing I hope comes of this, is that ROY HIBBERT, YES, YOU ROY, (if your reading), you dunk this down the bulls throat no matter who is coming into block you. Go up with explosiveness, get the ball in the circle and come down ferociously as the ref calls the AND 1.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

a-The ball was blocked into the rim in the first place. Also, the ball wasn't using the rim as its base at all. It was almost off the side of the rim where it's completely legal for a defender to touch it.
    b-The ball didn't get within the cylinder.
    i-The whole "vibrating the rim" thing just means you can't make the rim vibrate and alter a shot. It doesn't mean you can't touch it and make it vibrate ever. If someone throws up a shot, you can't pull on the rim to make it bounce. In Rose's case, what made the shot not go in, is the fact that he blocked it. He only inadvertently touched the rim after that.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold For This Useful Post: