Thread: ESPN: Chauncey Billups stays a Knick

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default ESPN: Chauncey Billups stays a Knick

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6437715

The New York Knicks decided not to buy out the contract of point guard Chauncey Billups on Wednesday, ensuring he will be with the team for his full $14.2 million salary for the 2011-12 season.

The Knicks had until Friday to pick up the option or pay Billups a $3.7 million buyout.

"Chauncey, Amare [Stoudemire] and Chauncey [Billups] are a great nucleus, as we continue to look to improve our team going into the offseason," Knicks president of basketball operation Donnie Walsh said in a statement.

"Chauncey is an extremely talented and experienced point guard -- we are very happy to have him back."

Sports Logo

Default Re: ESPN: Chauncey Billups stays a Knick

I'm surprised that they did this...but it's not like they had any choice. Now they have $50 mil tied up in Chauncey, Amare and Carmelo.

Players that want to play in NY will have to take a major paycut if they want to go there.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm surprised that they did this...but it's not like they had any choice. Now they have $50 mil tied up in Chauncey, Amare and Carmelo.

Players that want to play in NY will have to take a major paycut if they want to go there.
    yikes

They want to stay semi-competitive for one more year before the big name free agents in 2012. With Chauncey's contract coming off the books they'll be able to sign Chris Paul or Deron Williams.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not surprised at all. The option they picked up is only for a year and this allows them to remain competitive next season. Plus there are no great free agents out there this summer. When Billups' contract expires in 2012, they can throw their money at Chris Paul or Deron Williams.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I'm not surprised at all. The option they picked up is only for a year and this allows them to remain competitive next season. Plus there are no great free agents out there this summer. When Billups' contract expires in 2012, they can throw their money at Chris Paul or Deron Williams.
    That is why I think that Stern will figure out a way to allow NY and the Heat ( all Teams that have or will have between $45 to 50+ mil tied up in 3...yes...count them...3 Players by the start of the 2012-2013 season ) to still improve via Free Agency in the new CBA. The Heat barely was able to scrap up a Team under the current CBA rules, you have to figure that there will be some loophole that will allow them to improve at a greater pace then making minor incremental changes from year to year.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

That is why I think that Stern will figure out a way to allow NY and the Heat ( all Teams that have or will have between $45 to 50+ mil tied up in 3...yes...count them...3 Players by the start of the 2012-2013 season ) to still improve via Free Agency in the new CBA. The Heat barely was able to scrap up a Team under the current CBA rules, you have to figure that there will be some loophole that will allow them to improve at a greater pace then making minor incremental changes from year to year.
    sadly, i think you're right. god i ****ing hate david stern.

really, capitalism in general promotes this kind of thing. when money is put above all else, nothing retains its purity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Haywoode Workman For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

They will probbly get to keep what they got, but I'd like to think they would lose out on any exemptions &/o being able to add any player > a min salery player, &/or lose draft picks.
    Word is the owners want the MLE gone/ phased out w/ a cap that could slowly rise, but would become a hard cap. This would allow all current contracts to remain, but future ones & future FA signings to fit in a controlled setting, thus saving the owners from themselves, and keeping the current stars w/ big deals happy.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)