Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does the rest of the week bring?

Default What does the rest of the week bring?

Awesome playoff series. I was enthused by watching our young team play for the last 9 or so days. And more so, the play since seeing Vogel take over. I think we have a nice young core. Danny, a player I am annoyed with, pulled it together a bit. Darren showed heart. I liked the tenacity of Hansborough. Hibbert..... was Hibbert. I'm excited about seeing the potential of Paul George. Best story to me was hearing about him working out at CF at 4 am. That is encouraging.

All that said, tomorrow and this month will be important to the shaping of our team. Will we see:

Larry Bird resign?
    or will he say that he's equally excited and want to see the team grow atop his thrown?

Vogel extended and lose his interim status?
    or will he lose his position with the team all together?

David Morway fired?
    or retained?

Will we have players react positively to this season and growing as one?
    or will they exhibit frustration and will some of the troubles of the season boil up - such as the blow up in the locker room a few months ago.

Will Lance Stephenson's status be addressed?

I think the dust may settle for a few days, but I think by the end of the week and Monday at the latest we will have a clear understanding of Larry's tenure and future with the team. At the same time, I wouldn't put it past the team to announce tomorrow that he is going to resign.

Could we even hear of plans for Larry to acquire the team?

I think the above are all possibilities for the next days. Thoughts? How quickly will the dominoes fall?
    Last edited by Kaufman; 04-26-2011 at 10:29 PM.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

Default Re: What does the rest of the week bring?

It's going to be an interesting summer. I hope Vogel stays, but even if Bird sticks around, I'm not so sure.

I don't think there's any concern over frustration over the season. I don't think there's any way that any of the players can be frustrated with how the season ended. Regardless of the fact that they only won a single game in the postseason, they should realize that they gave the Bulls hell for 4 of those games and be proud of it. They should definitely use it as motivation to come together as a group and learn to close games out, though.

Is Larry acquiring the team even a possibility? I've seen the idea mentioned a few times before, but does he have the capital? Or does the Larry buying the team bit assume that he forms a team to buy the Pacers?

I'm exciting to see what happens this off season roster wise, what trades, signings and acquisitions are made. Should be exciting.

does anyone see bird resigning tomorrow?
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

i feel like the set up is bird to resign tomorrow

I could see him resign, but probably not tomorrow, maybe thursday or Friday if he is going to do it

Quote Originally Posted by smj887 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's going to be an interesting summer. I hope Vogel stays, but even if Bird sticks around, I'm not so sure.

I don't think there's any concern over frustration over the season. I don't think there's any way that any of the players can be frustrated with how the season ended. Regardless of the fact that they only won a single game in the postseason, they should realize that they gave the Bulls hell for 4 of those games and be proud of it. They should definitely use it as motivation to come together as a group and learn to close games out, though.

Is Larry acquiring the team even a possibility? I've seen the idea mentioned a few times before, but does he have the capital? Or does the Larry buying the team bit assume that he forms a team to buy the Pacers?

Bird doesn't have the money to buy the Pacers himself. If Bird is to be ownership, it will take a group headed by Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I could see him resign, but probably not tomorrow, maybe thursday or Friday if he is going to do it

That sounds feasible, but my guess it would be after the Pacers have their end of season meeting with each player.

yeah. he knows totally what is going to happen. and this degree of silence...... is deafening.

i can't believe it but i am really concerned, 70/30 that he will step down.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know but I'm bored already.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

bird doesn't strike me as the business man type, no chance he buys the team. i think he'll stay, though. he was already hinting that he'd be back, and that was before the impressive performance.

i think we'll see a lot of improvement by lance and an increased role for him next year.

i'd predict that we won't see any of the expiring contracts being picked up, except for jeff if he wants to return. i also think posey will either retire or find a new home. i don't see him being a pacer next year. either rush or dunleavy will be gone, but not both. bye solo, and j-mac is probably 50-50. i'd like to see him stay, but i just think he's a cool guy, so i may be bias.

i'm 75% sure vogel will be back. a lot of the national guys are saying it would be silly not to bring him back. i want the team to explore every option though.

all of our main pieces will remain. roy needs to get tougher, plain and simple. not necessarily bigger, but tougher. strength will come with age. i think we see a huge increase in paul george's role and i'm still confident that darren collison is our pg of the future. for me, our biggest hole is at PF. i love tyler, but he needs to come off the bench. zach randolf, nene, david west, josh smith, boris diaw, kenyon martin, kris humphries, in no particular order, are all somewhat realistic options.

i would also love to sign either jamal crawford or shannon brown.

and thats all i have to say about that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Haywoode Workman For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I know why ....................

at least it looks like peyton will be in place this fall.

Bird - he's tried to lead or be involved in multiple ownership attempts in the past - most notably the bobcats.

Lance - I don't think he'll be on the team, honestly. But I think he's a total shame. Sad story here.

Posey - I can't see him or anyone leaving money on the table. So he'll be here unless we package him.

Vogel - I agree with you. Exhaust options but really need to have a great alternative if we let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywoode Workman View Post
    bird doesn't strike me as the business man type, no chance he buys the team. i think he'll stay, though. he was already hinting that he'd be back, and that was before the impressive performance.

i think we'll see a lot of improvement by lance and an increased role for him next year.

i'd predict that we won't see any of the expiring contracts being picked up, except for jeff if he wants to return. i also think posey will either retire or find a new home. i don't see him being a pacer next year. either rush or dunleavy will be gone, but not both. bye solo, and j-mac is probably 50-50. i'd like to see him stay, but i just think he's a cool guy, so i may be bias.

i'm 75% sure vogel will be back. a lot of the national guys are saying it would be silly not to bring him back. i want the team to explore every option though.

all of our main pieces will remain. roy needs to get tougher, plain and simple. not necessarily bigger, but tougher. strength will come with age. i think we see a huge increase in paul george's role and i'm still confident that darren collison is our pg of the future. for me, our biggest hole is at PF. i love tyler, but he needs to come off the bench. zach randolf, nene, david west, josh smith, boris diaw, kenyon martin, kris humphries, in no particular order, are all somewhat realistic options.

i would also love to sign either jamal crawford or shannon brown.

and thats all i have to say about that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I know why ....................
    ...why?

Pacers are now able to start to trade with any other team not still in the playoffs until July 1. I don't expect to see any trades until after the playoffs are over... closer to the draft.

Banned

...why?
    that you are sad because somebody that you love is leaving........

Banned

I wanna see us go all-in in trying to land a secondary legitimate star or someone on the brink of stardom.

I'm slow-burn-excited to see how things shape up from the president, general manager, head coach, his staff, and ultimately the roster. There could be a ton of changes in the next few months. Hopefully, whatever they are, it results in a better team with a brighter future.

I would imagine we'll know about Bird's decision fairly quickly, and of course either way that might have a domino effect, at least down to the GM and the coaches.

Players changes, I think, will lie in wait. I don't know how willing or anxious teams will be to make moves during this draft with the new CBA looming. For all I know, it will make everyone's rear-ends pucker up and no one does much of anything other than make their draft selections.

Then we have this ominous lockout waiting, and obviously that freezes the player movement until it's over. Really sucks. Waiting would have been hard enough this summer just to see what moves we try to or actually do make, but now it could be twice or three times the wait.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

The Bird situation is really a wildcard because depending on how that goes it could change other things as well (namely coaching options).

Considering this team went with Jim O'Brien heading into 4 seasons it's hard to imagine how Vogel doesn't earn some more time.

Also, for a team not bringing in a lot of money it's hard to think Vogel would be an overly expensive option.

And lastly, we're known as a team that's loyal, perhaps loyal to a fault sometimes, to people in the organization. After what Vogel has done just that fact alone has me wondering whether we'd really kick Vogel to the curb following him turning the team around, posting a winning record (which was necessary to make the playoffs), bringing a breath of fresh air to the franchise, and then giving the Bulls one of the toughest 5 game playoffs they could never have expected.

I think Morway will be gone no matter what happens with the other things.

I also have to wonder about whether a team hurting for dollars really needs 2 people in the front office serving the same role (or splitting duties when one person could do it all). That might also play a factor in what happens with Bird because if Morway is gone, even if Bird leans towards staying does Simon prefer an executive that can handle all the management duties and is that Bird?

I will say this... this offseason... even with all these question marks... feels MUCH better than recent offseasons!

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The is one of THE threads where the difference between resign and re-sign is significant.

Are you guys saying you think Bird will sign a new contract or that he'll leave before his contract is formally up to give a new guy time to come in before the lockout?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    The is one of THE threads where the difference between resign and re-sign is significant.

Are you guys saying you think Bird will sign a new contract or that he'll leave before his contract is formally up to give a new guy time to come in before the lockout?

That drives me crazy, I wish people would use resign and re-sign correctly

I have no feel what Bird is going to do, nothing will surprise me

That drives me crazy, I wish people would use resign and re-sign correctly

It's not like Anthem didn't point out the differences this year. For me it's the words then and than, and I'm amazed how many good posters use them incorrectly.

Did anyone hear Wells on Dakich's show about 30 minutes ago? I only caught the very, very end. I know there is no news, but I was just wondering if Wells talked about the timetable on Bird's decision

I meant resign as in leave the team. And I am concerned that this is imminent. I don't want it to happen but the silence is bothersome.