Thread: Great series, good season, steady improvement...now, what do we do to get better for next year?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Great series, good season, steady improvement...now, what do we do to get better for next year?

Here are the Playoff stats:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/stats/

Judging from this series we have the following things that need to be taken note in my opinion:

-Granger can get it done. It's a false myth that he's some pretender. He's legit. He averaged 22 on 48% shooting with Luol Deng guarding him all series. No worries from me that he's a guy that will fold in the post season. That's a monkey off our back; if he was one of those guys who choke in the Playoffs, the franchise would be put in a tough spot.

-Tyler Hansbrough and Paul George are best suited for the bench. Good players, great pieces, and they need to reunite the Goon Squad. Get better starters at the 2 and 4 so that we can have one of the best benches in the NBA. Their FG% is very bad and they'd excel in the second unit. BRING THE GOONS BACK!

-DC was okay. The ankle really messed him up these past three games, you can tell. When he was completely healthy he was arguably our second best guy. By far the second best guy offensively when he was healthy.

-Worried about Hibbs, but this isn't a good matchup for him. He does keep our defense honest though and he's had his moments. He's a guy who is a starter, but plays about 26-28 minutes a game and he has to have a very good backup center to help him out if he's playing soft.

-Foster and Dahntay were good off the bench for us. Dahntay is a very good fourth wing who can mix it up.

-The rest of the guys are very easily disposable. Some of the guys I don't want to really see again.

Sooo...What do we improve on?

Our weaknesses are rebounding, closing out games (Poise), lack of veteran and savvy play, and especially not having a closer.

How do we fix these problems? *Gasp because I don't want this to turn into a free agent/draft thread* Who do we sign to address those problems.

I think a realistic goal is 50 wins next season if we sign a couple of impact guys, and the steady improvement of the young fellas. And if Vogel is brought back. What does it take to achieve 50 wins next year? This group has me believing.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Great series, good season, steady improvement...now, what do we do to get better for next year?

I think we need another scorer next to Danny, in all 5 games he led us in points, he pretty much leads in FG% (unless you wanna count tj's and foster's 3 ppg). I think this series really reflected all our problems from the regular season:
    - We've lacked a consistent #2. Sometimes it was Tyler, Roy, DC. Rarely Dunleavy/Rush.
    - We failed to close games out

So if we can get some support for Danny, like David West, and if our guys keep developing, we might find ourselves within the top 6 of the confrence.
    I really hope we resign Jeff as well.

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Default Re: Great series, good season, steady improvement...now, what do we do to get better for next year?

Hire Kevin Pritchard. Sign Chris Wilcox and Maurice Thorton. Thank Frank for his great job in the Interim. Hire an experienced coach who can teach.
    Protect the Promise!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

we need our "core" guys to simply get better.

Roy- needs to figure it out mentally. he is too big and talented to ever disappear in games. if he doesn't start a game strong, he usually has a bad game. this must change.

tyler- needs to learn how to impact a game if his outside shot isn't falling. seems like he loses interest if he isn't shooting well.

paul george- needs to learn to be more aggressive offensivley. likes to shoot the three pointer, but we need him to be better attacking the basket. he is a good ball handler, and has good body control. he has the ability to create his own shot late in the shot clock.

darren collison- improve outside shooting. dc has a decent jumper, but he rarely got hot where he would make several jump shots in a row. would love to see dc become a serious threat for 3 pointers.

aj price- improve shooting. his shooting percentage was really poor this season. also he needs to give up the ball earlier in the shot clock

josh mcroberts- average at pretty much everything he does. needs to excel at something.

We need a better front line. Granger was fine, we saw some good things from the SG position (minus Dunleavy) and DC was good before he was hurt. We had Foster and one good game from Hansbrough and Hibbert each. We need more there.

Enjoyed watching the Pacers play because Tyler was drafted there. You guys played well in the series till last night. A few more pieces and the Pacers will be a team to be reckoned with. Good luck in the off season and in the draft!