Default Re: Onto the draft?

Give me either one of the Morris twins.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Give me either one of the Morris twins.
    Absolutely would take either twin over almost any of the players projected in the first round.

Outside of the top 5 picks, I like Biyombo and Nogiuera. They are upside picks, but they are both very intriguing. Thompson and Thompkins are two PFs with legit size, but I am not overly aware of either prospect. JaJuan Johnson has the length and athleticism, but he needs to work on his body to be able to handle an NBA season. I wouldn't hate the pick, but I think we could trade down and still get him.

I am all aboard for Markieff Morris though. He is the bigger of the two, although not by a huge margin. He is more used to playing around the basket and is the better rebounder and defender. Marcus has the outside game that is more refined. He is more suited to running the pick and roll, IMO, which is an area of need for us. Marcus is a good rebounder and defender as well. Same with Markieff, offensively. He can knock down the 15-18 footer, but has always just played more of the inside game to let his brother work the outside game better. I really like both of their games' and it would be tragic for me if they both went before our pick.

I don't like many of the prospects in the 6-15 range. There are too many internationals for my liking. I don't care for the Vesely's and Montiejunas's that are projecting in that area. I just don't think they are a great fit for what we need, moreso than them being bad prospects. I like Faried, but he is strictly a PF, IMO and we really need a guy that can play both big spots. I am fairly confident his rebounding will carry over to the NBA pretty well.

Then there is a huge crop of SF/PFs. I would almost put Faried in that category with Singleton, Leonard, Jones, and Singler (he probably projects a bit lower). This is NOT an area of need for us. We absolutely need a PF/C, unless the plan is to bring back Foster, McRoberts, and Barac. Even then, I would draft a PF/C, possibly two. The SF/PF thing might work if we go with a Center in the second round. They would move ahead of Posey in the rotation at SF, moreso than getting minutes at PF.

I am getting the feeling that we will be making a trade or two this off-season, so that would change everything. The one thing I am sure of, is that we need depth/size added to our front court if we keep either of our draft picks.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Marcus is undersized and the other one doesn't have much offensive skills. Markieff doesn't bring much more than Tyler, if anything.

Give me Jordan Williams of Maryland. Wide load with low post moves and size, talent, and plenty of potential to develop.

Ugh. Would we really be required to give someone that we take at 15 a guaranteed contract? If we can't trade that pick, do we *have* to select someone? Or can we just pass?

Stern: "And with the number 15 pick in the 2011 NBA draft, the Indiana Pacers select... nobody."

I don't want some useless rookie clown taking Stanko's roster spot...

I thought this draft was really bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I thought this draft was really bad?
    It is. Beyond Irving and Williams it's a complete crap shoot, with the emphasis on "crap".

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Stern: "And with the number 15 pick in the 2011 NBA draft, the Indiana Pacers select... nobody."
    Ha, that would be funny. I guess if it came down to it, we could just trade it for a second rounder and then cut that guy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't want Jimmer at all. He's slow and plays no defense, when asked how to beat BYU , Steve Alford said go at Jimmer he can't guard anyone. He can be hot and cold with his shot in the NBA he is strictly a reserve as such if he's not hitting he has no value in fact he becomes a major negitive.

Tristen Thompson of Texas is undersized but has a 7'2 reach and a body which can add weight . Young but great potential

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh and no thank you to Jimmer.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Ugh. Would we really be required to give someone that we take at 15 a guaranteed contract? If we can't trade that pick, do we *have* to select someone? Or can we just pass?

I don't want some useless rookie clown taking Stanko's roster spot...
    You can always renounce the player you picked in the 1st round. He simply becomes a free agent. Bulls did that before the last lockout.

didn't we do that back in the 1990's with greg minor from louisville? (renounce)
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Personally, I like Jimmer. Will he be the next Stephen Curry? Probably not - Stephen Curry has an All-NBA basketball IQ next to his shooting, and that's why he is who he is. But Jimmer, despite some bad shots, is generally a very smart player. At least, he's an upgrade over Price.

I don't love any bigs where we pick, and with Lorbek and Stanko in Europe, we don't need another long term Euro prospect big (unless Valanciunas falls hard due to buyout).

Look, stop thinking about this as a no.15 pick. Think about it as a 2nd round pick. Basically, that's what it is this year. Do you want Jimmer at 15 in a good draft? Probably not, given the high chance of busting. Is he a fair risk this year? Sure.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Banned

Terrance Jones (if he falls)

Jordan Hamilton
    Tompkins
    Tobias Harris

I love this draft. Player projected top 5 are not much better than players projected 10 -15. It was not a good season to tank. I am happy we made the playoffs.

Jimmer, I am not going to knock the man. If the Pacers end up taking him @ 15 Bill Simmons will love us. I just think Mc Roberts is gone and one of the above players will take his minutes. Tompkins has very polished offensive game in the post. Harris can play, but Jordan Hamilton and Terrance Jones could be steals in June.

Undefeated

I think there's some potential point guards in this draft who could back up Collison. From either of our picks I would like:

1. Kemba Walker
    2. Kenneth Faried
    3. Shelvin Mack
    4. Darrius Morris
    5. Demetri McCamey

Ideally Faried in the first and McCamey in the second (if Morris and Mack are gone). I think that would be a really solid draft and both would likely sign with the team.
    Danger Zone

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    I think there's some potential point guards in this draft who could back up Collison. From either of our picks I would like:

1. Kemba Walker
    2. Kenneth Faried
    3. Shelvin Mack
    4. Darrius Morris
    5. Demetri McCamey

Ideally Faried in the first and McCamey in the second (if Morris and Mack are gone). I think that would be a really solid draft and both would likely sign with the team.
    Faried is not better than Singleton on Florida State. I dont understand the love fest of Faried. Why do like his game for the Pacers soo much?

Mood

No one will have any idea of how strong/weak this draft will be until may 8th, there are so many underclassmen that have declared that have not yet signed a agent.

People say the middle of the draft is strong and the beginning is weak, but if those players head back it will be scary to say the least.

Taking a look at close to 50 mock drafts online, the emerging consensus on who the Pacers should pick at 15 seems to be...there is no consensus. I find Faried and Thompson mildly interesting and wouldn't hate the pick, but I'd prefer to trade out of the 1st round.

I guess it's info worth having, however, so here's what people are projecting in order of preference:

1. Marcus Morris, Kansas -- As close to a consensus as there is. Projected to be Pacers' #1 pick by eight mock drafts.

2. Kenneth Faried, Morehead State -- Projected as Pacers' #1 by four websites.

3. Tristan Thompson, Texas -- Projected as Pacers' #1 by three websites.

3. John Henson, UNC -- Projected as Pacers' #1 by three websites.

5. Jan Vesely, Czech Republic -- Two websites

5. Brandon Knight, UK -- Two websites

5. Donatas Motiejunas, Benetton Treviso -- Two websites

Beyond that, there's a logjam of players that all get one nod:

Michael Gilchrist, UK
    Trey Thompkins, UGA
    Lucas Nogueira, Brazil
    Nolan Smith, Duke
    Bismack Biyombo, Congo
    Jimmer Fredette, BYU
    Jordan Hamilton, Texas
    Alec Burks, Colorado
    Nikola Mirotic, Real Madrid
    Tyler Honeycutt, UCLA
    Chris Joseph, Syracuse
    Last edited by Reginald; 04-27-2011 at 01:36 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Reginald For This Useful Post:

Trade the pick.

If you don't, take the best backup SF or best backup C you can get.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    Taking a look at close to 50 mock drafts online, the emerging consensus on who the Pacers should pick at 15 seems to be...there is no consensus. I find Faried and Thompson mildly interesting and wouldn't hate the pick, but I'd prefer to trade out of the 1st round.

I guess it's info worth having, however, so here's what people are projecting in order of preference:

1. Marcus Morris, Kansas -- As close to a consensus as there is. Projected to be Pacers' #1 pick by eight mock drafts.

2. Kenneth Faried, Morehead State -- Projected as Pacers' #1 by four websites.

3. Tristan Thompson, Texas -- Projected as Pacers' #1 by three websites.

3. John Henson, UNC -- Projected as Pacers' #1 by three websites.

5. Jan Vesely, Czech Republic -- Two websites

5. Brandon Knight, UK -- Two websites

5. Donatas Motiejunas, Benetton Treviso -- Two websites

Beyond that, there's a logjam of players that all get one nod:

Michael Gilchrist, UK
    Trey Thompkins, UGA
    Lucas Nogueira, Brazil
    Nolan Smith, Duke
    Bismack Biyombo, Congo
    Jimmer Fredette, BYU
    Jordan Hamilton, Texas
    Alec Burks, Colorado
    Nikola Mirotic, Real Madrid
    Tyler Honeycutt, UCLA
    Chris Joseph, Syracuse
    Dude did u check when these Mocks were made, or even for what year, Gilchrist hasn't even went to college yet, Henson didn't declare. I think you should go back and check and then modify this thread.

No offense

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Dude did u check when these Mocks were made, or even for what year, Gilchrist hasn't even went to college yet, Henson didn't declare. I think you should go back and check and then modify this thread.
    I make no claims to their accuracy. Just passing it on as a general barometer. Throw out Gilchrist and Henson for all I care. If anything, it's even more telling that the consensus is not only lacking, it seems to be a lot of flat-out guessing.

Trade it. I don't want any of the ball-dominate 2s masquerading as PGs or utility knife combo 3/4 players. I'd rather take a project if we're going to keep it.

On the other hand, next year's draft is going to be amazing.

No way do Jan Vesely or Brandon Knight drop outside the top 10.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    No way do Jan Vesely or Brandon Knight drop outside the top 10.
    Yeah thats the thing, I think that some of these Mocks haven't been updated in a while, probably some back when the college season was still going on..

What will be interesting is if Bird will select brother Ben if he is available in the 2nd round?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Marshon Brooks or Jimmy Butler in the 2nd, if available.