Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Onto the draft?

Hybrid View

Default Onto the draft?

Picking 15th. I think we should go for a big that can block shots. I like Tristan Thompson fron Texas.
    Here we come lottery?

Default Re: Onto the draft?

Package it with Posey's expiring or another redundant position to take on a higher salaried player. That's option A and B for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Package it with Posey's expiring or another redundant position to take on a higher salaried player. That's option A and B for me.
    Sounds great, but I think you might be overvaluing the 15th pick.

As far as prospects go, I like Kenneth Faried. He plays like a slightly smaller Ben Wallace. In a draft that is short on shot blocking, board crashing, physical low post defenders, he fits that mold perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimePacerFan View Post

As far as prospects go, I like Kenneth Faried. He plays like a slightly smaller Ben Wallace. In a draft that is short on shot blocking, board crashing, physical low post defenders, he fits that mold perfectly.
    He might rise up the draft board ahead of our pick. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimePacerFan View Post

No need to go for a small PF. We have one in Hans now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    No need to go for a small PF. We have one in Hans now.

Tyler never led the nation in rebounding. Faried is a different kind of player.
    Last edited by owl; 04-28-2011 at 09:43 AM.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Tyler never led the nation in rebounding. Fareid is a different kind of player.

Yes, and at Moorehead he wasn't playing against the greatest competition either. Sorry, the Pacers don't need another undersized PF, they need size up front. Preferably one that can play the 4/5, play "D", help Hibbert in the paint. How is he playing the P&R? I don't see Faried doing any of these things.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone available at 15 that has star potential, even if it's a reach ?

I'm feeling lucky!
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Here's our luck, Charlotte or Milwaukee wins the lottery. Where the last 5 years we've been. That would just be awesome.
    Here we come lottery?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    Here's our luck, Charlotte or Milwaukee wins the lottery. Where the last 5 years we've been. That would just be awesome.
    Who cares? This is a weak draft and we are better for having played in the playoffs. New Jersey winning would be a bigger problem.

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    They can have it, I'll take what we had.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

use the pick as trade bait if we can.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Trade the pick or trade up for Brandon Knight.

I think we'll address our big man needs through a trade or free agency with a young veteran.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    use the pick as trade bait if we can.
    Agreed.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

i'm willing to deal it. but because there's hardly any star power in this draft, i'd go on the safe side with this pick if we keep it. my preferable options are in this order...

1- jimmer
    2- johnson
    3- faried
    4- singleton
    5- leonard

each of these players brings a certain quality to an nba team. the rest of their game may have some question marks, but these qualities will translate. since this is such a horrible draft on upside, i'd rather draft the sure thing. do we want 3pt shooting? mid range shooting? post defense? rebounding? perimeter defense? these guys bring that.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Trade the pick or take Jimmer.

Undefeated

I think there's some potential point guards in this draft who could back up Collison. From either of our picks I would like:

1. Kemba Walker
    2. Kenneth Faried
    3. Shelvin Mack
    4. Darrius Morris
    5. Demetri McCamey

Ideally Faried in the first and McCamey in the second (if Morris and Mack are gone). I think that would be a really solid draft and both would likely sign with the team.
    Danger Zone

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    I think there's some potential point guards in this draft who could back up Collison. From either of our picks I would like:

1. Kemba Walker
    2. Kenneth Faried
    3. Shelvin Mack
    4. Darrius Morris
    5. Demetri McCamey

Ideally Faried in the first and McCamey in the second (if Morris and Mack are gone). I think that would be a really solid draft and both would likely sign with the team.
    Faried is not better than Singleton on Florida State. I dont understand the love fest of Faried. Why do like his game for the Pacers soo much?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No one will have any idea of how strong/weak this draft will be until may 8th, there are so many underclassmen that have declared that have not yet signed a agent.

People say the middle of the draft is strong and the beginning is weak, but if those players head back it will be scary to say the least.

The Jimmer Phenomenon: Steve Alford, Damon Bailey, J.J. Redick, and Adam Morrison all in one.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    The Jimmer Phenomenon: Steve Alford, Damon Bailey, J.J. Redick, and Adam Morrison all in one.
    funny how you named only white players when in reality, jimmer is much closer to a steph curry than any of the players you listed...

also for every hyped white shooter that happened to not have a successful nba career, i can name you a mark price or scott skiles or rex chapman or kyle korver
    Last edited by croz24; 04-27-2011 at 07:50 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    jimmer is much closer to a steph curry than any of the players you listed.
    I needed to start my day with a laugh after last night's game. Thanks for that.

Obviously, I don't get the Jimmer infatuation. The comparison to Alford is unfair to Alford. Just because you can shoot a half-court pull-up jumper doesn't mean you should. Jimmer's shot selection is horrible, and he pretty much ignores his teammates. The speed and athleticism of the NBA game will negate any of his perceived strengths as a scorer.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Reginald For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    I needed to start my day with a laugh after last night's game. Thanks for that.

Obviously, I don't get the Jimmer infatuation. The comparison to Alford is unfair to Alford. Just because you can shoot a half-court pull-up jumper doesn't mean you should. Jimmer's shot selection is horrible, and he pretty much ignores his teammates. The speed and athleticism of the NBA game will negate any of his perceived strengths as a scorer.
    SEASON MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
    2006-2007 30.9 21.5 4.6 2.8 2.8 1.00 1.8 .2 2.6 .463 .855 .408 1.40
    2007-2008 33.1 25.9 4.6 2.9 2.6 1.12 2.0 .4 2.4 .483 .894 .439 1.42
    2008-2009 33.7 28.6 4.4 5.6 3.7 1.50 2.5 .2 2.4 .454 .876 .387 1.42

2007-2008 18.5 7.0 1.1 1.7 1.2 1.49 .8 .1 1.3 .407 .854 .336 1.20
    2008-2009 33.0 16.2 3.0 4.1 2.6 1.59 1.5 .1 1.3 .480 .847 .382 1.40
    2009-2010 31.1 22.1 3.1 4.7 2.7 1.71 1.2 .1 1.1 .458 .892 .440 1.53
    2010-2011 35.8 28.9 3.4 4.3 3.5 1.22 1.3 .0 1.3 .452 .894 .396 1.40

pretty much identical numbers across the board with the slightest of advantages going to player #2 from a pure statistical perspective. player #1 is steph curry. player #2 is jimmer fredette. so while you question his shot selection, jimmer is still a 40% 3pt shooter. while you question is ability to share, he still posts better assists and a/t numbers than curry at davidson. and as for the style of play between the two, they were near identicals in college. curry maybe has a small advantage in athleticism. jimmer an advantage in lift on his jumper and body control. how you can laugh at a comparison between the two is laughable in itself.

you must also understand the lack of help jimmer had at byu being the reason he was forced to take so many shots, again that he hit at a very efficient clip. also realize that byu was a top 10 program the last two years jimmer was there. and why anyone would compare an off-the-ball player in steve alford to byu's primary ball handler i have no idea.
    Last edited by croz24; 04-27-2011 at 03:19 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

he still posts better assists and a/t numbers than curry at davidson
    Are we looking at the same numbers? By the time he left Davidson, Curry had evolved into a nearly six assists-per-game player, a progression that has continued into the pros and has never been matched by Jimmer. And on an anecdotal level, when Curry's team is trailing in a game I'm guessing his first inclination isn't to chuck up a 30-footer when none of his teammates are under the basket.

Jimmer has skills and can be a human highlight reel. But in the context of close games when every possession counts, he clamors for the spotlight and makes bad decisions that hurt his team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

2006-2007 30.9 21.5 4.6 2.8 2.8 1.00 1.8 .2 2.6 .463 .855 .408 1.40
    2007-2008 33.1 25.9 4.6 2.9 2.6 1.12 2.0 .4 2.4 .483 .894 .439 1.42
    2008-2009 33.7 28.6 4.4 5.6 3.7 1.50 2.5 .2 2.4 .454 .876 .387 1.42

2007-2008 18.5 7.0 1.1 1.7 1.2 1.49 .8 .1 1.3 .407 .854 .336 1.20
    2008-2009 33.0 16.2 3.0 4.1 2.6 1.59 1.5 .1 1.3 .480 .847 .382 1.40
    2009-2010 31.1 22.1 3.1 4.7 2.7 1.71 1.2 .1 1.1 .458 .892 .440 1.53
    2010-2011 35.8 28.9 3.4 4.3 3.5 1.22 1.3 .0 1.3 .452 .894 .396 1.40

pretty much identical numbers across the board with the slightest of advantages going to player #2 from a pure statistical perspective. player #1 is steph curry. player #2 is jimmer fredette. so while you question his shot selection, jimmer is still a 40% 3pt shooter. while you question is ability to share, he still posts better assists and a/t numbers than curry at davidson. and as for the style of play between the two, they were near identicals in college. curry maybe has a small advantage in athleticism. jimmer an advantage in lift on his jumper and body control. how you can laugh at a comparison between the two is laughable in itself.

you must also understand the lack of help jimmer had at byu being the reason he was forced to take so many shots, again that he hit at a very efficient clip. also realize that byu was a top 10 program the last two years jimmer was there. and why anyone would compare an off-the-ball player in steve alford to byu's primary ball handler i have no idea.
    Okay, I've kept my mouth shut on this subject for a while but this post did me in.

To start, your comparing Fredette's number as a senior to Curry's as a junior. Every year they were at the same level Curry obliterated his stats and if you were to throw the Senior version of Curry he would have torn the NCAA a new one. He is at the NBA level getting better every year.

Curry also played against MUCH better competition year round. Davidson was scheduled against Duke, Carolina, UCLA, or whatever a lot. Then in the NCAA tourny absolutely destroyed top teams in the Nation - including the Hibbert lead Hoyas.

I can see Fredette being a nice spark off the bench for short periods of time in the NBA. He will not be able to defend anyone in the NBA though.

The comparison between the two starts and ends at two good college players taking a smaller school to the big stage. Fredette won't make anything close to the same impact Curry has made in the NBA.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post: