Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Music debate #2 ...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Music debate #2 ...

"Who was the voice of the last decade".(2000-2010)

Very difficult question. Many things changed in the music industry during this decade. The "Napster" bomb has changed the way we get our music to the date. But there are many elements that makes somebody the voice of the decade due the difference in culture/availability/controversy/ and musical impact.

I had a few candidates:

Corey Taylor (Slipknot & Stone Sour lead singer)
    Benjamin Burnley
    Billie Joe Armstrong
    Chad Kroger
    Britney Spears
    -----------------------
    These were the most I could think of at the time. But if I had to send my vote in and then support and prove my case, I can give full possession of this title to non other than "Eminem".

Would love to hear other thoughts, and start another debate. (Off-season)
    Last edited by Constellations; 08-08-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Music debate #2 ...

Not even a question.

Eminem.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is none for this decade in my eyes. Quite frankly the only one on your list that deserves to be in the discussion is Billie Joe Armstrong, but I'm not sure he even does.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not even a question.

Eminem.

I agree, although I think a very strong case could be made for Britney. Em's obviously more talented than she is, had significantly greater music, although I'd say both were equally as popular and Britney had a stronger cultural influence. (But, I'm also seeing this through the eyes of a woman..)

Musical influence I struggle with, I'd like to side with Eminem. I don't really know who he's influenced musically, but I do think Eminem brought rap to an even more popular state.

However, it's pretty obvious that Britney has clearly influenced a lot of female performers. (Pretty much all bubblegum pop acts after she became a hit) and she's always ahead of the curve in terms of trends in pop music, and other (and funny enough, significantly more talented) artists tend to follow her.

And I like Britney, but I've said before, I can appreciate fun crappy music. But because it's "fun crappy music" despite the arguments you can make for Britney, I'd go with Eminem as well.

Nobody.

Though if people want to say Eminem, that's cool with me only in that I like a lot of his hits.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I agree, although I think a very strong case could be made for Britney. Em's obviously more talented than she is, had significantly greater music, although I'd say both were equally as popular and Britney had a stronger cultural influence. (But, I'm also seeing this through the eyes of a woman..)

Musical influence I struggle with, I'd like to side with Eminem. I don't really know who he's influenced musically, but I do think Eminem brought rap to an even more popular state.

However, it's pretty obvious that Britney has clearly influenced a lot of female performers. (Pretty much all bubblegum pop acts after she became a hit) and she's always ahead of the curve in terms of trends in pop music, and other (and funny enough, significantly more talented) artists tend to follow her.

And I like Britney, but I've said before, I can appreciate fun crappy music. But because it's "fun crappy music" despite the arguments you can make for Britney, I'd go with Eminem as well.
    The debate can start anytime form here on. Everyone record he released, he won a grammy, and all peaked at #1 on the billboards. Not only that, the controversy he brought to the music scene. He pretty much forced the music industry into putting the memo out stressing "Parental Advisory". We could go on forever about this man...
    Last edited by Constellations; 08-08-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    The debate can start anytime form here on. Everyone record he released, he won a grammy, and all peaked at #1 on the billboards. Not only that, the controversy he brought to the music scene. He pretty much forced the music industry into putting the memo out stressing "Parental Advisory". We could go on forever about this man...
    From a personal standpoint, Eminem got me to respect rap. I was not interested in the Rap movement of the 90s, and never bothered to listen too it, until Eminem.

Rap along with Country were really the only genres I had yet to appreciate yet, but Eminem got me to listen. He's brilliant lyrically. (As other rappers are). And I can even deal with the homophobic and sexist lyrics for a variety of reasons.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have would have to go with Eminem. He is a decent choice, but there just aren't many other competitors.

Spears and Armstrong would be my runners-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    From a personal standpoint, Eminem got me to respect rap. I was not interested in the Rap movement of the 90s, and never bothered to listen too it, until Eminem.

Rap along with Country were really the only genres I had yet to appreciate yet, but Eminem got me to listen. He's brilliant lyrically. (As other rappers are). And I can even deal with the homophobic and sexist lyrics for a variety of reasons.
    I have to agree with this too.
    Last edited by ECKrueger; 08-08-2011 at 07:44 PM.

He pretty much forced the music industry into putting the memo out stressing "Parental Advisory".
    You say this like it's a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie
    the homophobic and sexist lyrics.........
    This too.

In the politically correct world that we live in, where high profile people get canned for questionable remarks, I guess I don't see 'music' as a place to encourage and applaud similar things.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post

This too.

In the politically correct world that we live in, where high profile people get canned for questionable remarks, I guess I don't see 'music' as a place to encourage and applaud similar things.
    Where are you reading that I'm saying it's a good thing? If you read the post, I use the word controversy. I don't consider controversy a good thing. I also followed up with (...) I thought it was clear.

I'm going to make a blanket statement: No one person or one band is the voice of any generation. That is stupid. The wording is dumb and that is my main problem with the Nirvana garbage. Reword it, please. Most significant musical figure, maybe?

Oh, and for these purposes, if you have to explain to us what band the person is involved in, then odds are he isn't that significant.

I'll throw in Jay-Z and Kanye West here. The past five years Kanye has been unstoppable. Celebrated albums (commercially and critically), controversial figure, like him or not, he's an artist and has spawned sort of a smarter form of hip hop as opposed to straight gangster rap and such. I think in time, he will be seen as the most significant artist of this era.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm going to make a blanket statement: No one person or one band is the voice of any generation. That is stupid. The wording is dumb and that is my main problem with the Nirvana garbage. Reword it, please. Most significant musical figure, maybe?
    Nirvana garbage? So saying John Lennon was the voice of a generation is ok, but no other artist deserves that? Now it's come to the point where no one person deserves the title?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh, and for these purposes, if you have to explain to us what band the person is involved in, then odds are he isn't that significant.

I'll throw in Jay-Z and Kanye West here. The past five years Kanye has been unstoppable. Celebrated albums (commercially and critically), controversial figure, like him or not, he's an artist and has spawned sort of a smarter form of hip hop as opposed to straight gangster rap and such. I think in time, he will be seen as the most significant artist of this era.
    If you think Kanye made a bigger impact that Eminem, I'm concerned.

Nirvana garbage? So saying John Lennon was the voice of a generation is ok, but no other artist deserves that? Now it's come to the point where no one person deserves the title?
    I didn't say that about Lennon, ever. I don't like the phrasing in general, for anyone. "Nirvana garbage" refers to the bickering in the other thread we have been doing.

If you think Kanye made a bigger impact that Eminem, I'm concerned.
    If you think the lead singer from Stone Sour made a bigger impact than either of them, then I'm even more concerned.

And over the past 5 years, it has been all Kanye. Even Eminem himself came out and said his ego wanted him to go head to head with Kanye, but he knows he would have lost. His last album was great, the one before that was crap. Over the past 15 years though, yes, Eminem is absolutely the more significant figure.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't say that about Lennon, ever. I don't like the phrasing in general, for anyone. "Nirvana garbage" refers to the bickering in the other thread we have been doing.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you think the lead singer from Stone Sour made a bigger impact than either of them, then I'm even more concerned.

And over the past 5 years, it has been all Kanye. Even Eminem himself came out and said his ego wanted him to go head to head with Kanye, but he knows he would have lost. His last album was great, the one before that was crap. Over the past 15 years though, yes, Eminem is absolutely the more significant figure.
    Which is why I stated Eminem.

ps. Fixed my previous post.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Constellations For This Useful Post:

Where are you reading that I'm saying it's a good thing? If you read the post, I use the word controversy. I don't consider controversy a good thing. I also followed up with (...) I thought it was clear.
    Just read it how it was written. And I guess I missed the memo that ... means - well, what does it mean ?? Other than S.

Last edited by PacerDude; 08-08-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the apparently required :rolleyes:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just read it how it was written. And I guess I missed the memo that ... means - well, what does it mean ?? Other than S.

... has never meant something great. You just chose to read it the wrong way. Wasn't intended. Why would I be happy having to trips to certain stores to buy my music?

This too.

I'm going to guess that you've never listened to his music, and I don't mean a stray word or two, or what the news quotes. Actually listened to his music as a whole.

Jay-Z is interesting as well. Kanye I don't think so, he's a product of Eminem and Jay-Z in a lot of ways. Very similar to both.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Corey Taylor is one of the most gifted singers of all time imo. I had the chance to meet him at a concert in Chicago, and he is just a really cool dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Jay-Z is interesting as well. Kanye I don't think so, he's a product of Eminem and Jay-Z in a lot of ways. Very similar to both.
    Oh please don't compare Kanye to Jay-Z or Eminem. He isn't in either of their neighborhoods. Give Jay-Z or Eminem a crappy beat and it's still going to turn out decent. Give Kanye a crappy beat and you've got a crappy song. If he couldn't produce songs as well as he does, he'd still be working at The Gap.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Oh please don't compare Kanye to Jay-Z or Eminem. He isn't in either of their neighborhoods. Give Jay-Z or Eminem a crappy beat and it's still going to turn out decent. Give Kanye a crappy beat and you've got a crappy song. If he couldn't produce songs as well as he does, he'd still be working at The Gap.
    I don't think he was comparing them really. A product could just be an inspiration, or a soldier taught by the generals. But I could be wrong.