Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

  1. #1
    Redemption. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,685

    Default Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    http://dimemag.com/2011/04/jeff-fost...-im-their-guy/

    JEFF FOSTER: “IF THEY NEED A VILLAIN, IT LOOKS LIKE I’M THEIR GUY”
    BY ARON PHILLIPS

    No one grows up wanting to be the next Jeff Foster. I’m sorry, but it’s true. Kids grow up wanting to play at Duke or North Carolina and become the next Kobe Bryant or LeBron James; not attend Southwest Texas State and average five points per game for their career. All-Star Games, MVP awards, endorsement deals, these are what kids aspire towards. You know, the good life. But at 34 years old, Foster lives that too. And 12 seasons and almost $50 million later, he’s leaving his mark on another playoff series.

    “It’d be kind of cool if I got booed,” Foster said, laughing. “If they need a villain, it looks like I’m their guy. The Bulls have great fans. It should be a great game.”

    But why boo Foster, a guy who’s averaging under 19 minutes per game in the Pacers’ first round series with the Bulls? In Game 1, he fouled Derrick Rose. Hard.

    Then in Game 3, he fouled Rose and Luol Deng – both of which were upgraded to flagrant 1 fouls by the NBA after the game.

    “I thought they were good, clean playoff fouls,” Pacers interim coach Frank Vogel said. “That’s all we talk about with our guys, is that we want to protect our basket. We don’t want flagrants. We’re trying to protect our basket and protect it in a physical manner.”

    And if the Pacers have any shot of winning this series, they’re going to need Foster to do just that. But luckily, he’s been here before – seven times to be exact. Beginning as a rookie on Indiana’s 1999-00 team that went to the NBA Finals, this postseason marks the seventh time that Foster has played in the playoffs with the Pacers. So you might as well call him Michael Myers, because he’s turned the role of the villain into a career.
    Man, if there was an identity that appealed to an apathetic Midwest region, this would be it. The leadership played this out almost perfectly, IMO.

    Blue collar, knock you on your butt, out scrap you team. I hope we can find a way to keep Foster around, healthy, and interested... as a marker for what our identity needs to continue to be.

    (smiling from ear to ear in glee)

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,787

    Default Re: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    If someone would have told Pacers fans back in 2001-2004 that someday Foster would be our enforcer, our physical force and the player that opposing fans love to boo, we would have laughed and laughed - yeah right.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-26-2011 at 03:33 PM.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Member BPump33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,837

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If someone would have told Pacers fans back in 2001-2004 that someday Foster would be our enforcer, or physical force and the player that opposing fans love to boo, we would have laughed and laughed - yeah right.
    I said that pretty much verbatim to a guy in my office today.

  6. #4
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,444

    Default Re: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    Foster needs to bring back his mustache, its makes him look more evil.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    Good article. The Pacers have been getting love from the press big time.

    Those fouls, other than the one on Deng weren't that rough. Nothing like the way the Pacers and Knicks used to go at it back in the 90's. Even the Pistons/Pacers series in the last decade were more physical.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  9. #6

    Default Re: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    I don't like the term "villain." Laimbeer was a villain. The "Enforcer" is much more appropriate for Jeff. If you met the guy in a Marsh during a food drive, a thug is the last image that would come to mind.

    And actually, you don't have to go any further than the local YMCA to hear coaches telling dads that their kid may not be a great shooter, but he reminds them of Jeff Foster, which is pretty good. It's the Fosters of the world that often make the LeBrons look so good.

  10. #7
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,703

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    I would love for us to turn the clock back and use Foster as the Backup Center ( his current role ) for the next 3 years....but the reality is that Foster is likely destined to fill the role as "Emergency Backup Center" ( the role that Solo fills now ).

    Other then Varajeo ( who won't be had without costing a pretty penny ), is there another Jeff Foster / Enforcer-Like Player that we can sign in FA?

    My first thought was to try to go after Ronny Turiaf on the Knicks since the Knicks will likely be trying to shed salary.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  11. #8

    Default Re: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If someone would have told Pacers fans back in 2001-2004 that someday Foster would be our enforcer, our physical force and the player that opposing fans love to boo, we would have laughed and laughed - yeah right.
    I get what you're saying, and I agree. But he's not even any of those things, well other than the receiver of boos. Chicago fans are just incredibly over sensitive.

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Other then Varajeo ( who won't be had without costing a pretty penny ), is there another Jeff Foster / Enforcer-Like Player that we can sign in FA?
    Vareajo's not an FA, wrapped up for I think another 3 years. I disagree he'd cost a ton though. With Cleveland where they are, is it THAT unfeasible that something a first and Rush and the immediate monetary savings that come with a deal like that could happen? I'd just really like to add Andy.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 04-26-2011 at 04:24 PM.

  12. #9
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,703

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vareajo's not an FA, wrapped up for I think another 3 years. I disagree he'd cost a ton though. With Cleveland where they are, is it THAT unfeasible that something a first and Rush and the immediate monetary savings that come with a deal like that could happen? I'd just really like to add Andy.
    Sorry, I should have clarified on my comments on SideShow Bob....I meant that I do not think that the Cavs would be willing to move him to save $$$ ( they will have roughly $56 mil in guaranteed $$$ owed in 2011-2012 ). Even if they did intend to move him......unless they are desperate and ask only for BRush+1st Round Pick....my guess is that they will be asking for more than what we are willing to pay.

    I'd REALLY like to get SideShow Bob...but the reality is that he's fairly CHEAP for a fairly solid and young Starting Quality Center ( he's owed $8-9 mil a year for the next 3 seasons...which is incredibly cheap for what he brings to the table ) and a solid piece for the Team to include as their future core of Players.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  13. #10

    Default Re: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    Just hard to figure out where they are with him, hell where they are period (Baron Davis?!). They need rebuilt so bad you'd think money savings + picks would be something they'd be interested in, he'll be 29 by the start of next season. Figure he'd be well into his 30s by the time they get something going.

  14. #11
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,703

    Sports Logo

    Wink Re: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just hard to figure out where they are with him, hell where they are period (Baron Davis?!). They need rebuilt so bad you'd think money savings + picks would be something they'd be interested in, he'll be 29 by the start of next season. Figure he'd be well into his 30s by the time they get something going.
    It's not hard to figure out where they will go with him and BDiddy.

    The Cavs have essentially hitched their trailer onto BDiddy...which means that they have to start building a decent supporting cast around him for the next couple of seasons. By committing to BDiddy and his huge contract....it only makes more sense to keep a good $$$ valuewise Center like SideShowBob rather then trade him for $$$ savings. They essentially have their Starting Center position locked up for the next 3 years at a good price at a fairly reasonable price. If SideShow was paid something along the lines of $10-12 mil a year...then I'd agree...but for $8-9 mil a year for the next 3 seasons...that's good value for a solid and young Starting Center.
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-26-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  15. #12

    Default Re: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    Pretty sure the common thinking was they moved for Davis because it got them the Clips lotto pick to add to their own and that Davis has an early termination option after next season that they assume he'll hate Cleveland so much he'll exercise to pursue his movie pursuits or whatever he has going in LA.

  16. #13
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,703

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure the common thinking was they moved for Davis because it got them the Clips lotto pick to add to their own and that Davis has an early termination option after next season that they assume he'll hate Cleveland so much he'll exercise to pursue his movie pursuits or whatever he has going in LA.
    He may have LA interests that he wants to pursue, but I doubt that BDiddy will leave $14+ mil on the Table unless he is absolutely sure that he can get something comprable in a long term dea somewhere else.

    With the new CBA in place and expected wages to be lower....especially for an aging Injury Prone Starting Quality PG....no one is going to offer him something for the long-term that will make up for $14 mil in lost wages.

    Also, the reason that the Clips moved BDiddy ( at least based off of what I read ) is that they want to clear 2012-2013 Salary Cap space to pursue DWill, CP3 and/or Dwight by dangling Blake Griffin in Sunny LaLaLand...or use 2011-2012 Expiring + Draft Picks to try and trade for one of them.
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-26-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  17. #14

    Default Re: Our growing new identity: Starring Jeff Foster...

    Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://dimemag.com/2011/04/jeff-fost...-im-their-guy/



    Man, if there was an identity that appealed to an apathetic Midwest region, this would be it. The leadership played this out almost perfectly, IMO.

    Blue collar, knock you on your butt, out scrap you team. I hope we can find a way to keep Foster around, healthy, and interested... as a marker for what our identity needs to continue to be.

    (smiling from ear to ear in glee)
    I've seen the dude's wife, and he's living the good life there too.

Similar Threads

  1. Denver "loves" Jeff Foster
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 02:55 PM
  2. 03/23/2005 Game Thread: Pacers vs Spurs
    By BostonConnection in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 01:29 AM
  3. I want everyone's opinion on Jeff Foster
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 08:05 PM
  4. Good article on Jeff Foster
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:44 PM
  5. Is Jeff Foster way underrated by everyone
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 12:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •