Thread: Game 6 Buzzkill?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Game 6 Buzzkill?

I almost didn't post this, because of the knee-jerk reactions from some people, but it is a question I wanted to put out there.

Suppose we win tonight and the series returns to Indiana for Game 6. We once again get swamped by Bulls fans and we lose the game (and series).

Does that kill the good will and excitement that we gained by winning Game 4 at home? Does the pain of seeing a house full of Bulls fans celebrating as if they'd just won the Finals take away all the pleasure we've had watching the Pacers grow?

I'd never want the team to do anything but go out and win, but in the back of my mind it makes me think that winning our last home game is absolutely mandatory - and winning 3 in a row from the Bulls isn't going to be easy.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Game 6 Buzzkill?

No, it would not ruin it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

If it happens just remember that the bulls fans are having to celebrate that much only because we, as an 8th seed have managed to get under their skin and play them so tough.

I would be a bit ashamed of our fanbase though, these are the types of underdog stories hoosiers are supposed to eat up.

The team deserves support for the heart and effort that they've left on the floor.

Plus this would be during the week, I'd reckon the crowd would be closer to game 3's than game 4's, the former being a much better pro pacers crowd (numerically) than in game four.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

I think the key thing for us to remember is that we are the 8th seed. The fact that we r here is great BUT, it's not over. If we outwork the Bulls, they are beatable. If this series gets back to Indy, I think that seed of doubt will be placed into Chi-towns players.

The crowd for a Game 6 would be much, much more pro-Pacers. A few reasons, in my opinion:

Bulls fans were buying tickets for Game 4 (and Game 3 to an extent) as soon as they went on sale because they wanted to see the closing game of the first round (expecting a sweep). They haven't done that for Game 6.

Game 4 was on a Saturday afternoon. It was easy for Bulls fans to plan in advance to take a trip down to Indy on a Saturday. It is far more difficult to do the same on a Thursday, particularly when they won't plan on going more than a day or two in advance.

While Bulls fans were trying to buy tickets up for games 3 and 4 as soon as they went on sale, casual Pacers fans were wary- they didn't want to get tickets to see a team get swept and blown out. If we win in Chicago and come back for Game 6, casual fans will be energized by the fact that we have proven we can not only compete but win.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to asmithxc For This Useful Post:

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I have talked to many people at work whom I have gone to games with or given tickets to. Many are casual fans, but most of them are talking about going to Game 6 if it happens. So getting the casual fans back will help.

The other reason why we will not expect a sea of red is that I suspect that nearly 1/3 to 1/2 of the tix are already bought up by STHs and other diehard Pacer fans. The Bulls fans are so cocky that surely they don't expect a Game 6, so it's doubtful that many of them have purchased their tickets yet. Therefore, even assuming a 50/50 split in regard to who gets through to Ticketmaster first, I would envision that at worst, the crowd would only be 25% Bulls fans, and their chants can be squashed just as they were in Game 3.

Would Game 6 be Thursday? I don't think it would quite as bad on a weekday. But I still don't think that would ruin anything. We are playing with house money at this point, even moreso if we force a Game 6.

Bill, my excitement is more about how well the team has played, the style they are playing and the approach the team is taking. Winning game #4 was great for many reasons but even if they had lost game #4, I would still be excited about how they have played in this series. And although the number of Bulls fans especially on Saturday angered me that does not take away how I feel about the Pacers team.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-26-2011 at 01:20 PM.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

What is this Game 6 you speak of? Game 5 is tonight and that is the only game that matters right now.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have talked to many people at work whom I have gone to games with or given tickets to. Many are casual fans, but most of them are talking about going to Game 6 if it happens. So getting the casual fans back will help.

The other reason why we will not expect a sea of red is that I suspect that nearly 1/3 to 1/2 of the tix are already bought up by STHs and other diehard Pacer fans. The Bulls fans are so cocky that surely they don't expect a Game 6, so it's doubtful that many of them have purchased their tickets yet. Therefore, even assuming a 50/50 split in regard to who gets through to Ticketmaster first, I would envision that at worst, the crowd would only be 25% Bulls fans, and their chants can be squashed just as they were in Game 3.
    I dont consider myself a casual fan because I can only go to about 3-4-5 games a year. I watch every game that is on FSI , and am on PD quite often, even though I dont post much. I just dont get a chance to go because of other commitments and financial constraints.

That being said, I consider myself an avid fan, and I wouldnt miss this game for anything. I am definitely going to game 6. I hope other fans like myself are going to step up to the plate.

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    What is this Game 6 you speak of? Game 5 is tonight and that is the only game that matters right now.
    IF we get to game 6 (as Bball says), and we lose to the Bulls in front of our home crowd, in our house, I still wouldn't be disappointed. According to critics, experts, and everyone, we weren't "supposed" to win a single game. And we did that. If we win tonight's game, I'll be even more proud, because we beat the odds. Even if we lose game 6 back at home, we've gone farther than anyone expected, and farther than we've been in years. Our Pacers deserve far more respect than they've received, and this series is just another step to making next year's playoffs.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

So are you another poster who "can't change there mood" , Or do you just like to bring up the old coach every time you post?

Also the casual fans weren't in the arena game 4. If there is a game six it won't be Chicago fans influencing there perception of the team. The fans that need brought back are watching on tv. If they are in the crowd the Chicago fans won't be. But as you stated lets just worry about tonight.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 04-26-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    If it happens just remember that the bulls fans are having to celebrate that much only because we, as an 8th seed have managed to get under their skin and play them so tough.

I would be a bit ashamed of our fanbase though, these are the types of underdog stories hoosiers are supposed to eat up.

The team deserves support for the heart and effort that they've left on the floor.

Plus this would be during the week, I'd reckon the crowd would be closer to game 3's than game 4's, the former being a much better pro pacers crowd (numerically) than in game four.

My Man u rock!!!!

I have been peepin your posts on RealGM Bulls Boards, Ia m not a memeber but sooooooooooo many times I wouldnt to jump in and comment

Are those Bulls posters not the most arrogant sons of *****es?

They whine , complain, abuse etc

Way to stick up for the Pacers , fam
    Sittin on top of the world!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I would wager that there would be more Pacers fans than bulls if a game 6 were to occur mainly because it wasn't anticipated by bulls fans to ever get that far and to make all the arrangements in a few days to get here would be a little harder. That is of course assuming that most of the Bulls fans aren't the bandwagon jumping losers from around Indy and surrounding areas. I'm giving a lot of people the benefit of the doubt cause a lot of people seem to be seeing a lot of cars with the Illinois license plates.
    Last edited by TheDon; 04-26-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    My Man u rock!!!!

I have been peepin your posts on RealGM Bulls Boards, Ia m not a memeber but sooooooooooo many times I wouldnt to jump in and comment

Are those Bulls posters not the most arrogant sons of *****es?

They whine , complain, abuse etc

Way to stick up for the Pacers , fam
    Heh, thanks!

Go pacers!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Ok Tony Dungy.

NO! It doesn't kill it. If someone said we are going to go 6 games with the Bulls three weeks ago 1 in 100 would say that's crazy talk. They have the best record in the NBA and we aren't even .500 team. This is a very competitive series; no matter what happens we are the winners here. I have very high doubts (if they get to the next round) they win more than 2 games. We are beating them up mentally and physically even though we aren't coming away with the wins.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I almost didn't post this, because of the knee-jerk reactions from some people, but it is a question I wanted to put out there.

Suppose we win tonight and the series returns to Indiana for Game 6. We once again get swamped by Bulls fans and we lose the game (and series).

Does that kill the good will and excitement that we gained by winning Game 4 at home? Does the pain of seeing a house full of Bulls fans celebrating as if they'd just won the Finals take away all the pleasure we've had watching the Pacers grow?

I'd never want the team to do anything but go out and win, but in the back of my mind it makes me think that winning our last home game is absolutely mandatory - and winning 3 in a row from the Bulls isn't going to be easy.
    This concern is why the revenge storyline is so popular.

Not that I'm thinking about revenge. As far as I'm concerned, the Bulls will be the one seeking it next year.