Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL lockout deemed "illegal"... How does it effect the NBA's collective bargaining this summer?

Default Re: NFL lockout deemed "illegal"... How does it effect the NBA's collective bargaining this summer?

If I've been reading correctly, unlike the NFL, the NBA is opening their books to the NBAPA. If they're fudging these losses, we'll likely hear about it from the players, I have to imagine.

As for contraction, I agree that if it came to that the NBA would likely have to buy the teams from the owners.

At this point, all I care about is a speedy resolution. If they can figure something out by July, great.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: NFL lockout deemed "illegal"... How does it effect the NBA's collective bargaining this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I've been reading correctly, unlike the NFL, the NBA is opening their books to the NBAPA. If they're fudging these losses, we'll likely hear about it from the players, I have to imagine.
    And so we have. From an article posted by UB in another thread:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...qdE_story.html

Despite the NBA owners’ unprecedented decision during these labor talks to open their books to the union, the sides can’t even agree on what the numbers say. Silver said last week 22 of the league’s 30 teams lost money this past year with collective losses at $300 million (better than the $340 million lost the previous year). Hunter maintained during an interview days later that not even a single team is in the red, saying the union disputes elements of the league’s accounting, such as including as losses depreciation figures and certain third-party transactions with team-owned companies.
    Contraction is a potent threat against the players, and I guess there's a financial argument there that the surviving owners would be better off with fewer teams. On the other hand, I see this as something of an empty threat as long as Stern remains the commissioner. He's always put great stock on the NBA's brand and reach, no way would he allow a contraction.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post: