Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well at least nobody can blame Kravitz for not trying to spread the word..

Default Well at least nobody can blame Kravitz for not trying to spread the word..

Bob is all sunshine and roses in this playoff coverage. TV locally may not be getting on it enough but at least the star has done a good job with this series.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...-good-riddance

The last time the Indiana Pacers were in the playoffs, and that would be the 2005-06 season for you amnesiacs, the team and its scandal-weary fans were eager for the season to end. Nobody liked that team, and nobody on that team liked one another. After a Game 6 home loss to the New Jersey Nets, we were all ready to pack up and go on vacation.

"I think the culture has to change," former point guard Anthony Johnson said that night.

This time, we're not ready for it to end. This time, the Pacers have a team worth supporting and celebrating, a team growing by the day. This time, we don't want to see them run out of time, not when things are just starting to get interesting.

Conventional wisdom says the Chicago Bulls end this series tonight, but I've been employing conventional wisdom throughout this matchup, and it hasn't worked for me yet. My pre-series prediction was Bulls in five, but this isn't the kind of Bulls-in-five any of us expected.

In other words, it wouldn't shock me to see this series return to Conseco Fieldhouse for a Game 6.

If it ends tonight, though, I'm going to miss a bunch of things:

I'm going to miss the yapping we've been hearing from Chicago.

During and after Game 4, former Bulls Scottie Pippen and Stacey King called for their Bulls to retaliate against the Pacers for the hard fouls they've committed. "It's an eye for an eye," Pippen said.

And some of the Chicago media has walked in lockstep. One Tribune columnist wrote that Jeff Foster, who has knocked down several Bulls, graduated *** laude from "the University of Stupid." Another radio-station blogger called Foster "a hoodlum" and characterized Tyler Hansbrough as a "flailing weirdo."

Seriously, compared to the old Pistons, or the Lakers versus the Celtics during the 1980s, Pacers-Bulls is a game of checkers.

Two words:

Playoff. Basketball.

I'm going to miss interim coach Frank Vogel's news conferences.

He hasn't just been a star on the court, he has been a star off it as well. He has been equal parts Norman Vincent Peale and The Rock, pumping up his team with happy talk and daily affirmations.

He said this after Game 4:

"This is the scrappiest team I've ever seen. Not just the scrappiest team I've ever worked with or been around, but the scrappiest team ever."

Ever?

He is the king of giddy overstatement, but after fired coach Jim O'Brien, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Let's face it: Obie could make you feel bad about winning the lottery.

I'll miss watching the different tactics the Pacers employ to harass Derrick Rose.

The crazy thing is, he won those first three games for the Bulls with his late-game heroics, but you look at the statistics, he has needed a ton of shots to get his numbers. They've trapped and taken the ball out of his hands. They've thrown Paul George at him. They've put Dahntay Jones in his path -- which makes me wonder why Jones didn't play in Chicago in those first two games.

I'll miss the Luv-a-Bulls.

But that's just me.

I'll miss the teeth-gnashing in the Chicago media, where every story has the same general approach: "Sure, the Bulls are winning, but why aren't they winning by more or winning more impressively? WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE BULLS!!??''

Shoot, here in Indiana, we're ready to throw the Pacers a parade for keeping it close. (Although that's going to change next year, when expectations come.)

I'll miss watching this team's remarkable and sudden growth spurt, and miss watching Vogel grow alongside it.

With each passing day, it becomes more difficult to argue that Vogel should not be the coach next year and the years beyond.

Emotionally and strategically, he has turned this team around, and he has done it in what seems like five minutes.

"Right from the beginning, we made some subtle changes those first two or three weeks, and every two days we had a fairly big change in our style or something we added," Vogel said Monday. "There was a series of small steps from the time I took over."

He was asked, was there a point when he felt like his team really got it under his tutelage?

"Maybe the New York game (a Pacers victory March 13 at Madison Square Garden that broke a six-game losing streak) where we caught ourselves," he said. "Everybody was talking about how the newness had worn off, we had lost a few in a row and people were saying now they were going back to being the same, old Pacers.

"Our guys kind of rallied around that. We beat the Knicks back-to-back, we beat the Bulls that week, and probably that's where we started to believe it was real and not just a honeymoon period."

More than anything, I'll miss basketball that matters -- more specifically, Pacers basketball that matters.

This has been a fun little ride.

And it's too soon to get off.

Bob Kravitz is a columnist for The Indianapolis Star. Call him at (317) 444-6643 or email bob.kravitz@indystar.com. Follow Bob on Twitter at @bkravitz.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Well at least nobody can blame Kravitz for not trying to spread the word..

...Exactly right on the mark...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Well at least nobody can blame Kravitz for not trying to spread the word..

Great column, as always.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Talking Re: Well at least nobody can blame Kravitz for not trying to spread the word..

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another radio-station blogger called Foster "a hoodlum" and characterized Tyler Hansbrough as a "flailing weirdo."

HAHAHA! Damn him.. I literally was taking a big gulp of code red dew , and bursted out laughing at the same time, gasping for breath after dousing my monitor with spray out of my mouth and nose....

That is some very funny chit .. ROFLMFAO "Flailing Weirdo" ... that's great ..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This was a great article but also sad.

Everyone is excited about Pacers basketball again, and I don't want the season to end (at least not this early).

Lets just keep winning and make it to the finals.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Who wrote this article?

Cuz I don't recognize who this Bob person is. Done sound like any Indy writer I know.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Who wrote this article?

Cuz I don't recognize who this Bob person is. Done sound like any Indy writer I know.

I actually think he's been pretty positive about Frank since he took over and the rest of the young guys.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

It's unbelievable to read Kravitz write in a positive manner. But cool thoujgh

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Makes Mike Wells look like a push-over.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Great column, as always.
    No, not as always. The last couple have been the exception to the rule!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Mood

Actually a really well written and uncharacteristically optimistic article.

Kudos.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

SUNSHINER ARTICLE FROM KRAVITZ?!?!?!?!

Hell: It's frozen over.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I simply can't buy that this turn of tone is from Bob...

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He commissioned a PD sunshiner to write for him while he's on vacation.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Kravitz has always been a great writer.

You may not always, or even often, agree with what he's saying but that doesn't mean he's not a great columnist. Far better than he gets credit for.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

I don't know if you guys noticed, but Kravitz hasn't had a whole lot of sunshine to write about the last several years.

Give him a good product, and he'll probably write about good stuff.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

I don't want it to end either...which makes me wonder why the Pacers players were out partying last night.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I don't want it to end either...which makes me wonder why the Pacers players were out partying last night.
    What's the source on this? Some guy El Pacero retweeted. Not saying it isn't true but I'd like more details/credible sources. Also it's different if Ford/Posey/Solo are partying vs. Collison/Hibbert/Granger. You got a better source or more info?

I'll take his word for it, no reason for some guy in Chicago to randomly tweet about the Pacers being out drinking.

Got a link or anything?

I'll take his word for it, no reason for some guy in Chicago to randomly tweet about the Pacers being out drinking.
    Yeah, because Bulls fans haven't been known to try to provoke/upset Pacers fans at all...

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Professor S For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I think I want a Kool-Aid Man smiley with Bob's face...

BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Got a link or anything?
    Check ElPacero's twitter...

Quote Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
    Yeah, because Bulls fans haven't been known to try to provoke/upset Pacers fans at all...
    Well, if you want to believe our team is full of saints be my guest...However, one of the tweets named specific players.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 04-26-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Well, if you want to believe our team is full of saints be my guess...However, one of the tweets named specific players.
    I apparently did not see that one. I know our team isn't full of saints but I also am intelligent enough to question sources. Do you have a link to the tweet that named names?