Thread: Williams now wants to rejoin Dolphins

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Williams now wants to rejoin Dolphins

Agent says RB has had change of heart and has asked NFL to clarify his status.

Associated Press
    October 6, 2004

Ricky Williams wants to rejoin the Miami Dolphins and has asked the NFL how soon he can return, his agent said Tuesday.

It's unclear whether Williams must serve a suspension the rest of this season for repeated violations of the league drug program. He has asked the NFL for a hearing to clarify his status, but no date has been set.

"Ricky has asked me to explore and to try to facilitate his return," said his agent, Leigh Steinberg. "He has a passion for playing football and is excited about playing."

The 2002 NFL rushing champion stunned the Dolphins when he retired just before training camp in late July. Steinberg declined to discuss his client's change of heart, but on Sept. 24, Williams was ordered by an arbitrator to repay more than $8.6 million to the team for breaching his contract.

Steinberg and the Dolphins declined to say whether there have been recent conversations between the two parties.

"This is an issue between the player, his representative and the league," Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman said. "Accordingly, we don't have a comment on the matter."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to comment on the situation.

Since retiring, Williams has traveled to Asia and Australia, but Steinberg said he's now in the United States.

"He's in excellent shape," Steinberg said. "He has been working out regularly and looks great."
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Williams now wants to rejoin Dolphins

I guess Ricky needed more weed money
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I was a member of the team which Williams quit, I wouldn't want the guy on my team, no matter how good he is.

It's a matter of principle.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This could be really good for us. If they bring back Ricky, it may decrease the odds of them also wanting to pick up Edge.