Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

  1. #1
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    They just flashed a stat on the screen during the Spurs-Griz game. They were complimenting the Grizzlies for having, like, the 5th best defense during the playoffs.

    But the Pacers were second, keeping their opponents to only 40 percent field goal percentage. Only the Celtics were better at 39 percent.

    Go Pacers.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    The 8th seed teams really keeping it close.

    Both us and the Grizzlies haven't been to the playoffs since 2006 so both are taking advantage.

    At least the Grizzlies are winning/closing their games out though.

  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Imagine how much better our defense could be if Mcbob was starting and playing 30+ minutes, is Tyler's fault that we are second, Damn you Tyler..........

  5. #4
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,960

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Imagine how much better our defense could be if Mcbob was starting and playing 30+ minutes, is Tyler's fault that we are second, Damn you Tyler..........
    I assume you are joking? Tyler's defense is pretty good. I would say right now that Tyler is a better one-on-one defender while Josh is a better team defender. Josh is better at trapping Rose and then getting back into proper position

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I assume you are joking? Tyler's defense is pretty good. I would say right now that Tyler is a better one-on-one defender while Josh is a better team defender. Josh is better at trapping Rose and then getting back into proper position
    Sarcasm

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,079

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I assume you are joking? Tyler's defense is pretty good. I would say right now that Tyler is a better one-on-one defender while Josh is a better team defender. Josh is better at trapping Rose and then getting back into proper position
    I agree, the difference in defense I feel would be negligible. The only difference in performance I feel is on offense, and that is the deciding factor of who should be playing. When Tyler is hitting his shot it is typically almost automatic (right now he is kind of an all or nothing player with his shot) and when that is happening he should be on the floor because he won't miss very many. When Tyler isn't hitting McBob needs to be on the floor more because he does a better job of making his teammates better.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  10. #7

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I assume you are joking? Tyler's defense is pretty good. I would say right now that Tyler is a better one-on-one defender while Josh is a better team defender. Josh is better at trapping Rose and then getting back into proper position
    I have to question how true that really is.

    My question to you is: Which offensive player has had more success against his defender this series between Hansborough or Jmac? You also have to consider who Jmac or Hans are defending. It's a double-edged swore really. Hans could be up against one of the better offensive players at his relative position than Jmac has to guard under the same circumstances. So, it really could be a push for both. I think the bigger question should be who has produced better, more effectively on all both sides of the ball - offense, defense, rebounding, steals. For me, Hansborough has been the more well-rounded player. However, Jmac isn't far behind.

  11. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree, the difference in defense I feel would be negligible. The only difference in performance I feel is on offense, and that is the deciding factor of who should be playing. When Tyler is hitting his shot it is typically almost automatic (right now he is kind of an all or nothing player with his shot) and when that is happening he should be on the floor because he won't miss very many. When Tyler isn't hitting McBob needs to be on the floor more because he does a better job of making his teammates better.
    No offense but I call BS on this, the Mcbob fans used the assist per game numbers to tell us that Josh was so amazing, but guess what? Mcbob and Tyler have pretty similar numbers regarding APG in the playoffs.

    Again even if Tyler is not hitting his shots he is always going to be a treat the other team is going to guard no matter what, while nobody really care to guard Josh, I would also like to ad that the Mcbob's point guard experiment should be put to rest.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 04-25-2011 at 11:20 PM.

  12. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,079

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to question how true that really is.

    My question to you is: Which offensive player has had more success against his defender this series between Hansborough or Jmac? You also have to consider who Jmac or Hans are defending. It's a double-edged swore really. Hans could be up against one of the better offensive players at his relative position than Jmac has to guard under the same circumstances. So, it really could be a push for both. I think the bigger question should be who has produced better, more effectively on all both sides of the ball - offense, defense, rebounding, steals. For me, Hansborough has been the more well-rounded player. However, Jmac isn't far behind.
    I disagree, to me McRoberts is by far a more well rounded player, but Hansbrough has the ability to be more directly productive on the offensive end because there are one or two things that he excels at. McRoberts has the ability to do everything on the floor. Although it isn't likely to happen he does have the skill set to play SF if necessary. In some ways he is the perfect glue guy because he is not bad at anything and is a great passer.

  13. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,079

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No offense but I call BS on this, the Mcbob fans used the assist per game numbers to tell us that Josh was so amazing, but guess what? Mcbob and Tyler have pretty similar numbers regarding APG.

    Again even if Tyler is not hitting his shots he is always going to be a treat the other team is going to guard no matter what, while nobody really care to guard Josh, I would also like to ad that the Mcbob's point guard experiment should be put to rest.
    Numbers don't tell the whole story, and I don't see how the Bulls putting focus on Hansbrough has helped Hibbert so far. Hell so far Hibberts best game has been when McRoberts saw more playing time. Good passing does not always produce stats, but it does make those around you better. I haven't seen anything that suggests that the team plays better when Hansbrough isn't hitting his shots.

    As far as the McRoberts PG experiment, even before Saturday people should have known it wasn't a smart idea. Yeah, for a PF McRoberts is a good ball handler, probably every bit as good as Granger or slightly better, but no one is suggesting Granger should be a PG for a reason. The only reason it was suggested was because it is unexpected from a PF.

  14. #11

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Seriously...we have our Hans/Josh argument thread already.

  15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Madison
    Age
    34
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    We would be first if Korver would miss. Currently shooting 80% from three point range.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to opiejsimpson For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    #SeePGFly KingGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    22
    Posts
    911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by opiejsimpson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We would be first if Korver would miss. Currently shooting 80% from three point range.
    I just seen this stat on NBA.com.

    The Bulls score 117.09 points per 100 possessions while Korver is on the floor, while just scoring 91.62 when he is on the bench.

  19. #14
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    22,911

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by opiejsimpson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We would be first if Korver would miss. Currently shooting 80% from three point range.
    Maybe we have to just better defend him
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  20. #15
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,204

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just seen this stat on NBA.com.

    The Bulls score 117.09 points per 100 possessions while Korver is on the floor, while just scoring 91.62 when he is on the bench.
    Those stats mean nothing to me.

    It's clear that Keith Bogans has been the one playing the winning basketbal since he's been starting.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 04-26-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  22. #16
    Member pathil275's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    411

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Does anybody remember ESPN's Hollinger claiming that D. Jones was grossly overpriced and the worst FA signing?

    So eat your words, professor!

    I stand in awe with our defensive performance and cannot help but thinking back to the first 20 or so games of the season when our squad played superb defense, too. What happened afterwards? All the old coach's fault? Was the alleged altercation in our locker room responsible?

    So I don't see it as a fluke when they play great team defense in this series, I am just curious what it might take to keep it up throughout an entire season. Besides, do you think we -as a smashmouth-basketball team- overly benefit from the way of officiating in the playoffs? Does this particular way of playing and hustling translates well into the regular season or would we permanently be in early foul trouble?

  23. #17
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    8,823
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just seen this stat on NBA.com.

    The Bulls score 117.09 points per 100 possessions while Korver is on the floor, while just scoring 91.62 when he is on the bench.

    This proves that Thibs is not coach of the year in my book.

  24. #18
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,033

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Imagine how much better our defense could be if Mcbob was starting and playing 30+ minutes, is Tyler's fault that we are second, Damn you Tyler..........
    Unnecessary thread derail of the year?

  25. #19
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,147

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unnecessary thread derail of the year?
    I'm just surprised it wasn't a Jim O'Brien reference for once.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  26. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anderson
    Posts
    1,147
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unnecessary thread derail of the year?
    Challenge accepted!

    Well if JOB was still our coach we would be the worst defense in the playoffs. Heck we wouldn't even be in the playoffs. JOB sucked, I cant believe anyone on here backed him.

  27. #21
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,106

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    1st in adjusted FG% allowed - 43.4%
    tied for 1st in forcing turnovers - 16.8
    2nd in FG% allowed - 39.8%
    5th in 3pt FG% allowed - 31.1%
    10th in points allowed at 93ppg

    http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/te...rison-per-game

  28. #22
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,033

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Challenge accepted!

    Well if JOB was still our coach we would be the worst defense in the playoffs. Heck we wouldn't even be in the playoffs. JOB sucked, I cant believe anyone on here backed him.
    I blame the Chinese government, and their currency being intentionally undervalued, for our defense not being 1st.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  30. #23
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I blame the Chinese government, and their currency being intentionally undervalued, for our defense not being 1st.
    I think blaming it on Kyle Korver was a darn good theory.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  32. #24
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would also like to ad that the Mcbob's point guard experiment should be put to rest.
    Not me. I like the experiment and would like to continue it.

    Sure, it failed once or twice the last game. But it has also seen several successes.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  33. #25
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    4,995

    Default Re: 2nd Best Defense in the playoffs

    Stats aside, I agree. In the games I've seen, the Pacers have had the 2nd best defense in the playoffs behind Boston.

    Who would've EVER thought that?!? One of the shocks of the playoffs so far.

Similar Threads

  1. Hoopsword Article: If the NBA Playoffs Started Today
    By 15th parallel in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 02:37 PM
  2. comments from an O'brien supporter - warning its lengthy :)
    By PacersPride in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
  4. 12/15/2008 Game Thread #24: Pacers at Wizards
    By BostonConnection in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 07:48 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •