Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Could we make an offer for Dwight the way New Jersey made an offer for Deron Williams?

Default Could we make an offer for Dwight the way New Jersey made an offer for Deron Williams?

Once Utah felt Deron wasn't going to re-sign with them, they pulled the trigger.

That seems to be the way it very well could end with Orlando and Dwight Howard.

Could we throw a package at them this summer so they can get something before he bolts in 2012?

The question is, what would you offer that they might take?

I'd offer Granger and Hibbert and picks and see if they bite.

DC/AJ
    Rush/Jones
    George/TBA
    Hansbrough/TBA
    Howard/TBA

While DC is a weak link (and occasionally so is Tyler), having Rush, George, and Howard together is a huge trio defensively.

Suddenly we have a monster inside presence, and George (gradually) and Collison (immediately) handle the majority of our perimeter offense.

We still have a ton of cap space to pursue a better starting power foward and to fill in the other blanks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Could we make an offer for Dwight the way New Jersey made an offer for Deron Williams?

Would Dwight Howard be happy to come to a Pacers team that just traded their best player?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Default Re: Could we make an offer for Dwight the way New Jersey made an offer for Deron Williams?

since Howard and CP3 want to play together, offer Roy and a combo of other players and draft picks to orlando, and DC and players/draft picks to NO and persuade howard and cp3 they will be able to play together. this means they sign long term contracts and IND forms big 3 with granger
    Murph

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

*dream scenario
    Murph

Just wait until he is a free agent. Dwight will not want to come to a depleted team.
    Put him on the current team and you have a monster. Save all your cap space until 2012
    if you feel you have any chance. I am sure they will try and trade him but I would not
    deplete the roster and then end up like Orlando is now.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

It would be a great idea. I dont think Howard would want to re-sign with Magic. Their pay roll is so high.

I would love to see Howard and Stan Van Gundy with the Pacers.

1) Granger + Hibbert + 2 first rounder for Dwight Howard

2) Rush + McRoberts for Mayo

DC/Price
    Mayo/Stevenson
    George/Jones
    Hansbrough/TBD
    Howard/TBD

That would be a good start to lure other FAs with the cap space we have
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would Dwight Howard be happy to come to a Pacers team that just traded their best player?
    I think so, if Paul grows offensively. Paul should be better than Danny in a year or two, and Dwight is better than Danny.

I think that roster, plus Vogel, plus 1 or 2 solid moves using our cap space, equals a very, very competitive team. So long as we're able to make some waives in the playoffs sooner rather than later, I think he's happy. I could see us being a top 3 seed in this scenario.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hicks didn't mention Paul George or Lance Stephenson in the trade...

We would be pinning a lot on hopes of signing him to an extension ourselves. Is DC/Rush/George/Hans going to be enough going forward to keep Dwight happy here? I think we all agree that there's a lot of potential there.

Let's say George improves to be an equal talent to Danny, and Hans solidifies his game and finds his place as either starting PF or great 6th man -- does that team, including Howard, earn a top 4 seed and serious consideration as a contender? Because Dwight knows he has the talent to be a contender, and his team has to compliment that.

To be honest, I'm not sure it would equate to a team any better than the current Orlando team. And I'm not a guy who knows about contract details, but would trading for Dwight's contract still allow us to have cap space enough to sign a big time free agent to pair with Dwight?

The whole thing is a pipe dream, I'm sure, but I think those are some questions we have to ask as long as we're dreaming about it.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I thought about this other day. However, I don't think Orlando will dump Dwight until they absolutely have to, meaning I think it's more possible you'd see a midseason trade around the deadline.

Still, the problem would be whether Dwight would want to re-sign in Indiana. Anything short of an Eastern Conference Finals, and he'd probably be a goner, so you'd have to make sure your roster is ready to contend around hm.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Realistically, I see him re-signing with Orlando, but we'll see what Otis Smith brings in to help him want to stay.

If he likes the deal and doesn't have confidence in re-signing Dwight Howard, he might bite.

It's up to Dwight if he'll want to re-sign depending on our success.

Also if we do this, then that's that. I'd be happy to get OJ Mayo since we probably won't have enough to get Eric Gordon.

It might be possible if we manage our money well, our 2 largest contracts would be Dwight and EJ. Getting a sharp 2 guard in EJ might make Dwight happy and give us a better chance to compete.
    Last edited by Trophy; 04-24-2011 at 10:25 PM.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

NJ offered Harris, Favors, and two firsts. The most I'd offer is DC, Hibbert, and two firsts MAX. That's about equal value and I don't see how anyone could offer a better deal around the league.

If Dwight came to town, I wouldn't want George or especially Granger going anywhere. I think he's going to turn into a great Pacers legend for us when we get better.

TBA (Probably a Felton or Harris)/AJ
    PG/Jones
    Granger/Rush
    Free agent/Hansbrough
    Howard/TBA

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I know it'd be good for the team to have Dwight Howard and increase our chances of being competitive even further down the road and further into the playoffs. It would be really depressing for me though to see Roy go out of any of the other players on this team. Especially after the whole area 55 thing this season.

I honestly don't care where he goes as long as it isn't the freaking lakers and keep the lakers amazing for the next umpteen years. I'm so tired of the big franchises just having ridiculous situations just fall into their lap.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    NJ offered Harris, Favors, and two firsts. The most I'd offer is DC, Hibbert, and two firsts MAX. That's about equal value and I don't see how anyone could offer a better deal around the league.

If Dwight came to town, I wouldn't want George or especially Granger going anywhere. I think he's going to turn into a great Pacers legend for us when we get better.

TBA (Probably a Felton or Harris)/AJ
    PG/Jones
    Granger/Rush
    Free agent/Hansbrough
    Howard/TBA
    I agree, I would not offer Granger. If Granger leaves I think Dwight ultimately leaves and the whole thing is a huge flop.

DC, Hibbert, 2 Firsts would also be my final offer. Other than that, we have a great core sans Howard that could be as good as a Howard-led team if we play our cards right. Just about every small market would kill to be in a situation where you have Collison/George/Granger/Hibbert as a young core with Hansbrough as an indispensible sixth man of the future and tons of cap space to play around with.

*ahem*

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...38#post1220038

I get credit for this right?

Anyways, yeah I'd love Howard here and he'd be worth quite a few people. Although I'm thinking it'd end up being similar to the Heat trade for Shaq.

Dwight Howard clearly wants to play with a superstar, something we don't have now and definitely wouldn't have if we were to trade Granger and Hibbert. Howard isn't going to be happy here with the hopes that George "might" be a great player someday. All indications point to Howard wanting to play with someone who is a proven star right now, most likely in a big market.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Dwight Howard clearly wants to play with a superstar, something we don't have now and definitely wouldn't have if we were to trade Granger and Hibbert. Howard isn't going to be happy here with the hopes that George "might" be a great player someday. All indications point to Howard wanting to play with someone who is a proven star right now, most likely in a big market.
    Ehh, I just think he wants to play with a team that consistently wants to play hard and win. A team that is scrappy. A team that helps him out on defense. And a coach that he likes.

He hasn't been getting that with his guys.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Banned

Is funny that I was just thinking about this, I bumped the Tmac to the Pacers thread so people can see that it almost became reality.

I'm thinking that we have a chance for Howard or CP3, either package is gonna have to be huge plus we would have to take on their bad salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

True, but where is he going to get that? Can't get it in New York, Orlando, or Miami. I guess the Lakers is possible, but I think I'll swear off Basketball if that happens. Plus, I don't know how much he'd want to play with a 35 year old Kobe. Pacer's have enough cap space to sign two superstars and have an up and coming team. I guess MAYBE the Nets?

Still a compelte dream. I wouldn't trade for Howard, though, when you can get him in free agency. He could also play along Roy.

Feel like orlando would demand paul george and pass on granger. That said, I know everyone loves paul, but we still make the deal right?

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IUfan4life For This Useful Post:

Banned

For CP3 I would send, DC+Danny+two 1st round picks and for a guy like Howard I would send Hibbert+Tyler+two 1st round picks at least.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't send some ridiculous package for Dwight like NY did for Melo because it would potentially kill our edge. I don't want Granger or George going anywhere. If he really wants to come here, he'll sign with us in the summer.

And I have a good feeling that he'd have significant interest in playing for a core of Granger/George/Hansbrough/Hibbert/DC/and a great bench with loads of cap space.

That's what NY should have done. Next year, they could potentially have had a team of Melo/Amare/Felton/Gallo/Chandler (If they were to re-sign him). With cap space left over.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 04-24-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Surely, the trade would be Paul George and Roy Hibbert (plus two picks) for Howard. And of course we would do that (as long as Howard extends).

29. The Following User Says Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we could keep him here, you have to try. Not sure what it would take. Would Orlando want cap relief or would they want proven talent?

Is everyone carefully considering what happens if he's brought over in a trade and he doesn't like it here? Disaster. We have a really promising young team. Impress the big name players and try to sign him when his contract is up because he sees a bright future here. Every team will want him. Don't pin our franchise future on hoping that he thinks by next year Indiana is the most desirable place in the league for Dwight Howard. That doesn't sound like a bet I'd want to make.

Nope.

You'd have to build a package around Hibber+George or Hibbert+Collison. Even then I don't see it happening unless one of them absolutely blows up with what's rest of our playoff run.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods