Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a rivalry reborn.. ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default a rivalry reborn.. ?

Pacers have had some rivalries in the last decade or so.. knicks, pistons, bulls.

This appears to be the beginning of the rivalry reborn between the Bulls and Pacers.

I think the Pacers are going to give the Bulls a run for the central division title over the next 5 years.

I would prefer the pacers position right now over the bulls. Noah is good but offers little offensively. Boozer is overpaid and would prefer Hansbro at a much less expensive salary.

DRose no doubt is the difference; if Indiana can add a kid like Eric Gordon, I think George is every bit as good as Deng or will be anyways.

Look for this series to reignite a rivalry between central division teams.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Default Re: a rivalry reborn.. ?

Unfortunately, I'd have to disagree about liking our position more than theirs. They've already got their stud to build around, PLUS they have a more attractive market than we do. I also don't think that Boozer is a long-term solution for them, but they've got building blocks. Who knows how things will turn out though? People thought LeBron would stick with his "hometown" Cleveland and make them competitive for another 8 years, but it didn't go that way.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

If we stay on track and get better as a team. Then yes, this will be a rivalry once again

reignite?

i'm sure the bulls don't even consider the pacers a classic rival. and frankly i don't consider the bulls a former rival of the pacers. fun games in the past, but they always beat us when it mattered.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    reignite?

i'm sure the bulls don't even consider the pacers a classic rival. and frankly i don't consider the bulls a former rival of the pacers. fun games in the past, but they always beat us when it mattered.
    To be fair, Michael more or less beat everyone when it mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    To be fair, Michael more or less beat everyone when it mattered.
    fair enough - the only real team i think of as a rival of the jordan bulls really was the pistons. to a lesser degree maybe maybe the knicks.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think there's ever really a rivalry until each side has drawn some blood.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

To me for a rivalry to exist each side has to win something.

We had a rivalry with the Knicks but IMO we never had a rivalry with either the Bulls or the Pistons because they beat us each time.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

When I think of rivalries related to the Pacers, I only consider the Celtics and Knicks. But in all actuality, have the Pacers ever even beat the Celtics in the playoffs?

When I think of rivalries related to the Pacers, I only consider the Celtics and Knicks. But in all actuality, have the Pacers ever even beat the Celtics in the playoffs?
    At least twice off the top of my head. Reggie's last season in 7 and the 61 win season in 4.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I don't think there's ever really a rivalry until each side has drawn some blood.
    well im pretty certain the pacers made MJ bleed in that 7 game series in 98. the only team too take the bulls too 7 games.

MJ bled in that series. I recall vividly.

the fact of the matter is that the pacers and bulls aren't really rivals. adversaries, maybe. but we've never beaten them ever.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    well im pretty certain the pacers made MJ bleed in that 7 game series in 98. the only team too take the bulls too 7 games.

MJ bled in that series. I recall vividly.

the fact of the matter is that the pacers and bulls aren't really rivals. adversaries, maybe. but we've never beaten them ever.
    This is the second time EVER that the two teams have met in the playoffs. If the Bulls win the first five series the teams play then we can say things like "we've never beaten them ever."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it is, but we need to win something to officially renew what was once a rivalry.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

depends on your definition of rivalry i suppose. the Colts had nvr beaten the pats in the playoffs until the SB season, and i would say it was a rivalry way before then.

you need too look at the history of rivals. the fact the bulls and pacers battled and were central division rivals at minimum, classifies as a rivalry. maybe not as strong as the knicks and pistons, but one nevertheless.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ndcoltsnpacers View Post
    Unfortunately, I'd have to disagree about liking our position more than theirs. They've already got their stud to build around, PLUS they have a more attractive market than we do. I also don't think that Boozer is a long-term solution for them, but they've got building blocks. Who knows how things will turn out though? People thought LeBron would stick with his "hometown" Cleveland and make them competitive for another 8 years, but it didn't go that way.
    i agree with the more favorable market.. but what cap room do they have left after noah, booz, and rose?

i like hansbro more than boozer at a much lower salary. if pacers land Eric Gordon, and I believe it will happen, we have our stud as well, along with George, Hibbert, Hansbro, DC, and whomever else we can acquire with cap space, draft picks, and trades.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

you need too look at the history of rivals. the fact the bulls and pacers battled and were central division rivals at minimum, classifies as a rivalry. maybe not as strong as the knicks and pistons, but one nevertheless.
    I never considered the Pacers a rival back in the day, either....being in the same division does not automatically qualify as a rivalry.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I never considered the Pacers a rival back in the day, either....being in the same division does not automatically qualify as a rivalry.
    so be it.. the pissons didnot really lose much the year of the brawl. it was the pacers it cost a potential championship in Millers last season. maybe during the brawl you as a piston fan recall pacers walking into your place and destroying the defending champions pissons by 20 most of the game.

i hope the pacers kick the pissons butts for many many seasons to come. my hope is detroit becomes a losing franchise for the next 20 years.

that is my definition of a rival. behind the knicks is the pissons on my list of franchises i hope go through what the blue & gold have the last 5 years.

yea..i despise the pissons.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always looked at the teams we rival to be the Pistons, Knicks, and Bulls.

The Reggie/Jordan matchup and the meetings during the season and in the playoffs were always notable and it was always good.

The fans are really looking to stir up this rivalry again as are the players.

I'm happy we won today so we can say we got a crack in the "rivalry renewed".

ehhh. i might agree that the colts and patriots were rivals dating back to their days battling for the 1st pick in the draft or over ron meyer and over which team would not be the first 0-16 team ever. afc east days.

with regard to the pacers / bulls, we never really beat them. even back to the reggie/jordan days. once in a while, yes, but i don't think the bulls thought of us as a classic rival. if anything we were a backburner team - like jordan said, "playing with reggie miller drives me nuts, its like chicken fighting". thats what it was to them.

and while this might develop into something, only time will tell. to me its like saying back in 1990 during our coming out party in the playoffs that the pistons would be a rival for the pacers. it never came to be often just because of playoff seeding. lets see.

depends on your definition of rivalry i suppose. the Colts had nvr beaten the pats in the playoffs until the SB season, and i would say it was a rivalry way before then.

well factually my statement is true. and this just goes to show that there really is no current rivalry and never really was one - the fact that we've only met twice in the playoffs, this year being one of those years.

thanks for pointing that out

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This is the second time EVER that the two teams have met in the playoffs. If the Bulls win the first five series the teams play then we can say things like "we've never beaten them ever."

with regard to the pacers / bulls, we never really beat them. even back to the reggie/jordan days. once in a while, yes, but i don't think the bulls thought of us as a classic rival. if anything we were a backburner team - like jordan said, "playing with reggie miller drives me nuts, its like chicken fighting". thats what it was to them.
    see.
    More proof Jordan was a giant dick.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

We had a rivalry with the Knicks but IMO we never had a rivalry with either the Bulls or the Pistons because they beat us each time.
    I don't know,

Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees are like..the biggest rivalry ever. And for a LONG time the Red Sox hadn't won anything in years..

Count me with those who see the Knicks as a 90's rival but not the Bulls.

I'd start considering them a rival if we took them to 7, but they wouldn't say the same of us until they lose to us.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

I agree completely. We never had a rivalry with the Bulls. Because I am sure the Bulls didn't think we were in their top 5 or 6 in that category.

I will say though that what we had with the Pistons although very short term was something a little different because of the brawl - is it a rivalry, maybe not but it was something