This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uh?
    that's my exact reaction when i read the majority of your posts

Default Re: Jamal Crawford anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post

Crawford is a good guy to have in the clutch and generally as a 6th man off the bench. But you would also find yourself pulling your hair out on numerous occasions if you had to watch him over an 82 game schedule. There's a reason he was once had for nothing more than Al Harrington.

He is streaky. You'll find he'll float through stretches were he looks invisible. And when he's not scoring, not on a hot streak or hitting clutch shots, you forget he's even on the team. Defensively, sometimes the guy doesn't even try.

Somebody else said it right about Crawford: In the same way that Stephen Jackson often "forces" things, Crawford too often "settles". With his long, lean frame and slick handle, he ought to be able to get to the basket more often, but he settles for jumpers. He should be disruptive defensively with that long frame of his, but he's closer to just being a matador.

Big time props to him for hitting shots like that. It's what he excels at. But strangely enough, he can be pretty tough to watch through an entire schedule. Just saying this as kind of a devil's advocate because nobody here really ever mentioned wanting him during the season until now, and there's a reason for that. As a 6th man, he would be a very good addition to the Pacers.

Not adding Crawford because he's not the final piece is insane. This is our time to get aggressive about becoming a good team. Make Crawford one of those pieces, just not THE piece. Still go get at least 1 big man. Still look for anything else you can add beyond those two. 2-3 good additions/moves combined with the improvement of our youth could have us looking a lot better, very quickly.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Crawford is a good guy to have in the clutch and generally as a 6th man off the bench. But you would also find yourself pulling your hair out on numerous occasions if you had to watch him over an 82 game schedule. There's a reason he was once had for nothing more than Al Harrington.

He is streaky. You'll find he'll float through stretches were he looks invisible. And when he's not scoring, not on a hot streak or hitting clutch shots, you forget he's even on the team. Defensively, sometimes the guy doesn't even try.

Somebody else said it right about Crawford: In the same way that Stephen Jackson often "forces" things, Crawford too often "settles". With his long, lean frame and slick handle, he ought to be able to get to the basket more often, but he settles for jumpers. He should be disruptive defensively with that long frame of his, but he's closer to just being a matador.

Big time props to him for hitting shots like that. It's what he excels at. But strangely enough, he can be pretty tough to watch through an entire schedule. Just saying this as kind of a devil's advocate because nobody here really ever mentioned wanting him during the season until now, and there's a reason for that. As a 6th man, he would be a very good addition to the Pacers.
    That's what I want him to be: First wing off the bench. I'd really welcome him in that role.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For those of you who want Jamaal, what kind of contract should we offer him?

I think if it was around 4yr/20mil or so, I would be cool with that. Would he be willing to go that low ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Not adding Crawford because he's not the final piece is insane. This is our time to get aggressive about becoming a good team. Make Crawford one of those pieces, just not THE piece. Still go get at least 1 big man. Still look for anything else you can add beyond those two. 2-3 good additions/moves combined with the improvement of our youth could have us looking a lot better, very quickly.
    crawford is at or slightly past his prime, so by adding him you are adding a depreciating asset. and given his production, he likely won't come cheaply. giving crawford the contract we would likely have to give him to come here severely hurts any chance of us going after one of the young free agents in 2012 who could greatly improve our roster for the long-term. crawford is a very short term solution. i'd prefer the money and flexibility to sign someone more in line with the ages of our core players.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

i'd prefer the money and flexibility to sign someone more in line with the ages of our core players.
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who is thinking along these lines. Crawford would be worth it if he would take a much smaller pay cut, but at his price he is too old for this teams long term goals.

Depending on the price, I'd absolutely love it.

As some have said, he's very very streaky, but when he hits 2 or 3 in a row, he can light you up for 25 or 30 in a heartbeat.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For the right price and not too long of a contract, 3 years, 4 at max, I would welcome him as the 6th man. He is talented offensive player that can score. We need that. Also I like the idea of having another veteran. This series is showing we need another consistent scoring threat and Crawford could be that for us. Is he a home run guy? No, but he is a good player who will help us get better. He does chuck up shots, which is why I prefer him off the bench. But there is no doubt he can score in bunches and the only guy who can do that consistently on this team is Danny Granger right now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

My guess is that he will be looking for something in the $8 to 9 mil a year range as this is his last contract and he's been doing very well in the Playoffs...hoping for someone to bite at that price range. Given that he's likely to be one of the top 5 SGs on the FA market....I just don't see him settling for anything less.

The problem is that if you intend to spend that much $$$ on him.....that money should be going to a Starting Quality Player...not someone that you intend to have as a 6th Man.

I agree with dc on this and many of you...he's too streaky to be counted on to be a Starting SG.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Crawford would be a nice guy to add, but not for the type of money he's going to command. It just feels rushed. Would anyone be rallying for Jamal Crawford if this wasn't a weak free agent class? No one said we have to use our cap room this year. Unless adding Crawford puts us in contention in the East in the next two years (it doesn't) I don't see the point.

If he'll take a smaller contract than I think he'll take, then nevermind, come on down JC.

The Pacers desparately need another outside scoring threat. That is why the Pacers are losing to the Bulls. Defense is good but a little more offense is needed to not allow the Bulls
    to crowd Roy and focus on Danny. That and a big that can rebound like a beast and this
    team would contend. If nothing is available in the big department get the pick you need
    to get him and find your additional scorer in free agency this year or next.
    I wonder what the Jimmer would be like bombing from 25 and really stretching a defense.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Banned

I don't understand why people keep bringing the starting small guard thing? I opened this thread to see what people think about bringing a guy that is clutch to be our 1st win off the bench and possible help us in the playoffs next year, again I am suggesting to sign the guy to be one of the pieces on the team, nobody is saying that he is the answer or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't understand why people keep bringing the starting small guard thing? I opened this thread to see what people think about bringing a guy that is clutch to be our 1st win off the bench and possible help us in the playoffs next year, again I am suggesting to sign the guy to be one of the pieces on the team, nobody is saying that he is the answer or anything like that.
    The "Answer" is not available via FA anyway. Crawford would be a nice piece to add for the right price. The only negative thing to consider is that his pricetag might go up because of such a weak FA class.
    He is a combo guard which we could really use. Not to mention can shoot from the outside. I would love to get him

Banned

Your previous post doesn't make any sense and maybe you don't understand my posts because I'm talking about other things not related to Danny Granger, this is actually one of the few time you don't trash Danny, good job.

[QUOTE]
    if we were a true contender like dallas, miami, san antonio, okc, boston, orlando etc, yea i'd go for crawford in a heartbeat. but that fact remains, we need a lot more pieces than 31yo jamal crawford to reach elite status.
    Please find me anybody that is talking about him been the answer to reach elite status, I am suggesting another piece on the team, we are losing a lot of guys and I you don't know this the Pacers need to at least sign 13 players

i'd prefer to hold off giving someone like crawford a decently sized contract until we make sure we have hibbert, george, and collison signed long term,
    Again, Uh? so you want to wait until we sign George,Collison,Hibbert long term? you know that is going to be few more years before we need to sign them long term right?

one. and two, have found a legitimate go-to player to build around long-term. ideally, we maintain our cap flexibility throughout the summer to use via trades or to go after someone like eric gordon in the much better 2012 free agency class. imo,
    Yes because go to players are easy to find

crawford could get us to a 4 seed, but would ultimately hurt our chances to reach elite status.
    So you are saying that a guy like Crawford could get us a top 4 seed but you don't want that because you want to wait until the 2012 free agency?

So if the Pacers keep the same team and make it to the playoffs as the 8th seed again you are not going to B**** and M*** right? and if the Pacers keep Danny for one more year you are not going to troll every thread right? right?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who is thinking along these lines. Crawford would be worth it if he would take a much smaller pay cut, but at his price he is too old for this teams long term goals.
    Thats all we need = more rookies/1st/2nd year players. No thanks. We need some vets to mix in and help the young guys.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

How much money do people expect us to spend on new players? We're going to have over twenty million in cap space, as far as I know. You could give Crawford 8 or 9, still have 11 or 12 or more left now, and in a year Posey expires, giving you close to 18 or 19 million again in 2012.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I say, we're a Josh Smith and Eric Gordon away from being championship contenders. Go after J-Smoove this off-season in a trade, fill some holes (back-up center, back-up pg) through free agency for cheap, then save money to get Gordon next off-season.

If we do that, plus continue to draft well, and stay smart with our money, I see us becoming an elite franchise for a long time.

Go Pacers!

According to this, I was being conservative, and we might be looking at closer to 25+ million/ in cap space this summer.

http://www.hoopdata.com/salaries/IND.aspx

Posey has 7.5 mil expiring next season, by the way. So if you sign Crawford, Posey "gives most of that back" the following summer.

The only snag next summer is Roy's contract extension. Also, well have to sign a few cheap guys to fill out the roster.

But let's say Roy adds 10 million.

Danny 13.3
    Roy 10
    Crawford 8.5
    Tyler 3.1
    Dahntay 2.9
    George 2.6
    Collison 2.3
    '11 15th pick 1.6

That's 44.3.

'12 pick will be about 1.1, so make that 45.4.

If the cap is about 58 again (I think it will be a little higher), that leaves 12.6, less whomever else we may give a 2+ year deal to this summer.

If we wanted to fill out the roster cheap, that might knock it down to 8 or so left?

I think, if their goal is to still have cap space in 2012, they could make that happen and still make one larger (but not too large) deal now.

But I have doubts that that's the plan.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Plus, if it somehow didn't work out between us and Crawford, he'd be easy to move as he has value around the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    What does Kyle Korver have anything to do with this? I know he's killing the Pacers but damn!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

I don't feel like looking it up, but I'm pretty confident he is the only player in NBA history to have a 50+ point game for four different teams. Just an interesting tidbit.
    Last edited by tinsley#11; 04-23-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    I was ready for Josh Smith to go to Indiana, but he went to the NBA. I am ready for him to come to Indiana once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    How much money do people expect us to spend on new players? We're going to have over twenty million in cap space, as far as I know. You could give Crawford 8 or 9, still have 11 or 12 or more left now, and in a year Posey expires, giving you close to 18 or 19 million again in 2012.
    Great point... To many posters IMo are scared to sign anyone due to the last 4 years. ITs like we expect to get nothing or just hope for something in the distant future with our cap space. ( I call it the Pacers tea party).

I guarantee that anyone we sign will not make all PD members happy and I am ok with that because the Board is heavy on the manics here recently.

I would be happy with either Crawford or OJ at this point. Jason Richardson would also be nice for the right price but one thing is for sure, we will have a gaping hole at sg this off season with Dunleavy leaving and Rush not progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Great point... To many posters IMo are scared to sign anyone due to the last 4 years. ITs like we expect to get nothing or just hope for something in the distant future with our cap space. ( I call it the Pacers tea party).

I guarantee that anyone we sign will not make all PD members happy and I am ok with that because the Board is heavy on the manics here recently.

I would be happy with either Crawford or OJ at this point. Jason Richardson would also be nice for the right price but one thing is for sure, we will have a gaping hole at sg this off season with Dunleavy leaving and Rush not progressing.
    If you are happy with either Crawford or OJ, wouldnt you want OJ since he is about $7mill a year cheaper?
    Crawford is a proven scorer. OJ lost his job to a no-name player.
    Richardson will cost a lot more than Crawford.
    If you add all this up. Wouldnt Crawford be the best bet? He is versitle. Can play the 1 or the 2.
    Why not try to sign Crawford and then send the 1st rd pick to Cleveland for Varajeo? Cleveland wants to acquire as many picks as possible!
    Last edited by troyc11a; 04-23-2011 at 12:19 PM.