Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jamal Crawford anybody?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jamal Crawford anybody?

I think I'd rather take a flyer on Mayo, but if that failed, I'd be okay with Crawford.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was at a game in NY like 5 years ago when he drained a game winnner and the Knicks beat us.

lets get both Mayo AND Crawford! yayyyy

I love J-Rich

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

For what we'd have to pay Crawford, I'd rather go after the Pistons' Stuckey (RFA).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to this, I was being conservative, and we might be looking at closer to 25+ million/ in cap space this summer.

http://www.hoopdata.com/salaries/IND.aspx

Posey has 7.5 mil expiring next season, by the way. So if you sign Crawford, Posey "gives most of that back" the following summer.

The only snag next summer is Roy's contract extension. Also, well have to sign a few cheap guys to fill out the roster.

But let's say Roy adds 10 million.

Danny 13.3
    Roy 10
    Crawford 8.5
    Tyler 3.1
    Dahntay 2.9
    George 2.6
    Collison 2.3
    '11 15th pick 1.6

That's 44.3.

'12 pick will be about 1.1, so make that 45.4.

If the cap is about 58 again (I think it will be a little higher), that leaves 12.6, less whomever else we may give a 2+ year deal to this summer.

If we wanted to fill out the roster cheap, that might knock it down to 8 or so left?

I think, if their goal is to still have cap space in 2012, they could make that happen and still make one larger (but not too large) deal now.

But I have doubts that that's the plan.
    Thanks for typing out the salaries so people could get a look at them.

The reason I'm conservative about the cap is because, like many of us, I'd like to eventually offer Eric Gordon a huge contract while saving enough to extend all the members of our core (assuming they continue to develop). Hibbert next year, Tyler and DC after that, PG in three years. It's on down the road, but when people talk about signing Jamal Crawford to a 4 year deal, you have to think about things like that. We don't know if DC is going to develop into a player worth giving a good-sized contract to. Same with Tyler and PG. Uncertainty is a problem with young teams. In our situation I wouldn't call it a bad problem, just one we have to monitor patiently.

If Gordon re-signs with the Clippers, I'd be willing to spend more on smaller pieces. Gordon seems to be one of the few big-money players that'd be willing to come here, so we could spread the money around more if he doesn't. But if he does come, I'd hate to be in a position where we can't afford to re-sign young members of our core because we overpaid for vet "pieces" when we had cash burning in our pocket.

This off-season, I'm more inclined to make smaller signings (another backup big, a backup point, reasonable contracts for McBob and Foster, etc) and see what our core can do next year. If the team comes out playing like they have all playoffs, it's hard to imagine less than 45 wins. A 5 or 6 seed and a decent chance at a first round upset are realistic goals for this team next season whether we add anyone or not. So if we can save money for the future, why not do it? If I thought we could make a championship run next year, I'd feel differently. But I think, with a good foundation, that's a very realistic goal 3-5 years down the line.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Tom Lael

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    For what we'd have to pay Crawford, I'd rather go after the Pistons' Stuckey (RFA).
    I agree. Ive liked Crawford for awhile. I wanted us to get him a few years back when he was a bit more under the radar, but he is getting on a bit in age. I love his game tho. If we had Stucky right now the bulls series would be 3-1 going the other way.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver For This Useful Post:

If the Pacers decide to throw $7-8 mil at a backup, I'd prefer a
    guy like Dalembert, who is a couple years younger and can backup
    at 4/5 over a guy like Crawford.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Jackson shimmy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    Thanks for typing out the salaries so people could get a look at them.

The reason I'm conservative about the cap is because, like many of us, I'd like to eventually offer Eric Gordon a huge contract while saving enough to extend all the members of our core (assuming they continue to develop). Hibbert next year, Tyler and DC after that, PG in three years. It's on down the road, but when people talk about signing Jamal Crawford to a 4 year deal, you have to think about things like that. We don't know if DC is going to develop into a player worth giving a good-sized contract to. Same with Tyler and PG. Uncertainty is a problem with young teams. In our situation I wouldn't call it a bad problem, just one we have to monitor patiently.

If Gordon re-signs with the Clippers, I'd be willing to spend more on smaller pieces. Gordon seems to be one of the few big-money players that'd be willing to come here, so we could spread the money around more if he doesn't. But if he does come, I'd hate to be in a position where we can't afford to re-sign young members of our core because we overpaid for vet "pieces" when we had cash burning in our pocket.

This off-season, I'm more inclined to make smaller signings (another backup big, a backup point, reasonable contracts for McBob and Foster, etc) and see what our core can do next year. If the team comes out playing like they have all playoffs, it's hard to imagine less than 45 wins. A 5 or 6 seed and a decent chance at a first round upset are realistic goals for this team next season whether we add anyone or not. So if we can save money for the future, why not do it? If I thought we could make a championship run next year, I'd feel differently. But I think, with a good foundation, that's a very realistic goal 3-5 years down the line.
    Well put. I agree with everything you said.

Why pay Crawford when we potentially have everything he has to offer? Paul, Danny, Rush, Dun (value resign), and Dahntay with a training camp under a long term headcoach (Vogel or Adelman) along with this playoff experience dismisses the need to over pay a guy who can't win us a title (and only hamper Paul and Rush's development).

Bird should make wise investments into the pieces we already have and hold out for the return of Indy's crowned prince. EJ's a Hoosier through and through and wants to come home and take his beloved Pacers to the top. I plead the fifth but a little birdy told me that. Not to mention his dad is on record with the LA Times saying he wants EJ back in the midwest. After the way the Illini fans treated his family I doubt that means the Bullies. I mean he sat courtside at both playoff games in Indy and saw the windy city wagon riders behavior for himself.

Consider my post the prelude to the greatest sports story Indiana has ever heard!
    Last edited by Thoreau87; 04-24-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    If you are happy with either Crawford or OJ, wouldnt you want OJ since he is about $7mill a year cheaper?
    Crawford is a proven scorer. OJ lost his job to a no-name player.
    Richardson will cost a lot more than Crawford.
    If you add all this up. Wouldnt Crawford be the best bet? He is versitle. Can play the 1 or the 2.
    Why not try to sign Crawford and then send the 1st rd pick to Cleveland for Varajeo? Cleveland wants to acquire as many picks as possible!
    Each guy has certain risks IMo. Crawford will cost more and is a streaky shooter. OJ is a bit of a headcase and doesn't shoot as well as Crawford or Richardson.

Personally I like Crawford the best because he seems like he will cost less than Richardson and is more proven than OJ with less issues.

I am not sure why you think Varajeo could be had for a first round pick..
    He would cost a lot more than that IMO.

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

As much as I'd love to have Crawford, isn't he already over 30? Would rather save the $ and send our first to Memphis for OJ. Also, I would love to read that article about EJ's dad talking about how he wants his son back in the midwest
    Murph

Banned

20, 3 and 3 for Crawford today.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    You stole my idea.

Dude is a beast and would be amazing as the first guard off the bench.

Stuckey already is what we all hoped Lance could develop into.

Larry Bird has all but called his shot in regards to Crawford. He has said he wants a veteran presence in the locker room, plus the Pacers' one glaring need in light of the Bulls series is a guy who can create his own shot at crunch time. Crawford is a defensive liability and a streaky shooter, but he can create his own shot off the dribble arguably better than anyone not named Durant or Kobe.

As for the age thing, that's a complete non-factor to me. Ray Allen was 32 when he was traded to the Celtics. Reggie Miller was 34 when he advanced to his first and only NBA Finals. Jordan was 32 when he "unretired" and then proceeded to win three more titles and two more NBA MVP Awards, his last MVP earned when he was 35 years old.

Banned

Crawford is the only Bench player since Kevin M to escore 20+ points in 4th straight games.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who is thinking along these lines. Crawford would be worth it if he would take a much smaller pay cut, but at his price he is too old for this teams long term goals.
    I want Crawford, but I absolutely don't think he should be the 2nd highest paid player on the team, which he would be at $10 Mil+.
    Reasonable contract though, and I'd be all over that!