Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please have somebody other than Granger shoot the last shot.

Default Re: Please have somebody other than Granger shoot the last shot.

Paul George is going to be a more clutch guy.

Give him the last shot.

Seriously.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Defense takes a lot of energy. So, when you don't move the ball, it allows the other 3 Bulls to rest who aren't guarding Danny. This makes them more effective on offense and more apt to get our guys in foul trouble. It allows them to get in better rebounding position. It allows them to cheat for a fast break. We simply become predictable. They become more confident and less frustrated or confused with defending us. All this stuff is lost when you just look at the silly stat line for a single player. The fact one player has a good stat line always seems to blind people to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by brichard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmm... did you read my post? We've lost at least 2 games giving it to him in the last seconds of a ball game, and I don't want to watch it again. I'm not saying he sucks or ship him away. It is really a very objective post and more critical of Vogel's play design in the last seconds of a game than anything.
    Yes I read it, and unlike some other posters with their complaints you were making sense, but there has already been several posts complaining about Granger so I jumped on you when you said you weren't here to demean Danny, but complained anyway.

I don't usually go off on good posters like that. I usually just delete the post and let it go . . . (shrug) . . . this time I didn't.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You guys want me to take this thread seriously when you are saying Jeff Foster should take the last shot?

Danny is our best shooter. Danny has hit clutch shots before. Danny was on fire in the fourth last night. Danny HAS to take the last shot last night. How about the team runs/executes better a play that gets Danny open? Can you imagine just giving Reggie the ball and telling him to hit the game winner? No, you set screens. And I mean actual screens, not that weak **** Tyler set.

I can't believe I even have to post this.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Don't laugh. He actually hasn't been half bad with his jump shot lately; that is, when he doesn't have to shoot after getting the pass with about 1 second left.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

since paul george is our future why not let him take it? i mean he did spend time in the gym putting up shots after game 2 til like 3 AM...

Hell brandon rush can get a look...give me TJ Ford dribble drive to the basket...ANYONE but granger...And i like DG but man he doesn't look to create ANYTHING...he just wants to get a little space and fade away...what are you kobe? cmon DG
    Keep believing...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul George is shooting 22% from the field. I know he's the future, but he's currently showing himself to not even be half the shooter Danny is. I have less faith in his jumper right now than I do Josh's.

Well, and that is part of the problem, he isn't going to get a good look b/c everybody in the building knows he is going to shoot it. And with a very good defensive team, I'm not surprised that he hasn't been successful. There are certain guys who just seem to have ice in their veins when it is on the line (Horry, Billups, Reggie, etc.)

If you don't have that, you need to go with the hot hand or use a little deception to get somebody open. But I'm telling you, for the sake of Danny Granger and his confidence, having him miss one more shot like that isn't going to be great for him.
    The board ought to listen to you on this but I would not hold my breath. Actually, this is not just a playoff issue. It is an every close game we have issue for as far back as I have been watching which is since Hanbrough came on board. (This post has NOTHING to do with Hansbrough.) Getting Granger the last shot will work once in a great while but like you say everybody and his brother in 10 states knows he is getting the ball so just make sure he has to shoot slop. It works nearly every time for the opposing team.

Did everybody know Jordan or Bird were shooting the last shot? Sure, but they each had an uncanny ability to hit some pretty unbelievable shots with great consistency.
    They were also unselfish enough not to force up an awful shot when Steve Kerr, John Paxon, Jerry Sichting or Danny Ainge was unguarded, ready, willing, and able to make the shot. They knew when to play team ball, not hero ball. Vogel didn't draw up a heroball play, I'm pretty sure.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For Game 3, I wanted Hansbrough to take the last shot to tie the game to get to overtime. It would have been unexpected, and Hansbrough seems to like pressure in my view. He also was open IIRC, and less likely to draw the contact that Danny did on the last shot despite it not being called.

one long Grimp-season ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Granger shooting the last shot is not the problem, it's just the shots he us shooting that are bad. I would prefer Danny shoot the last shot last night, unless the best shot he could get was that well contested 3.

we need better screen to free up Danny like we use to do for Miller.....we would have not been in the playoff had it not been for Danny and he is working hard at both end of the court......why are you people so mean to Danny!!!! I believe in Pacers and Pacers basketball......Paul G will be the best player in the NBA in two years!!!

The only way we win this game is to not have it come down to the last second.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Game 1 - I thought they could have found more ways to continue to feed Hansbrough. More Pick n Rolls or off ball screens ( which I wish they would use for Hansbrough anyway ).

Game 2 and 3 - When teams know Granger is going to get the ball its that much harder for him to succeed because he really cant split double teams or really beat anyone off the dribble all that often.

I wouldnt have minded seeing Dunleavy getting the last shot because he uses off ball screens better than anyone else on the team and he seems knock those catch and shoot shots down consistently.

In Game 3 after Collison missed Granger coming open he also missed and open Hansbrough on the baseline. He has to give it up to one of those guys IMO

Here's a radical idea: the person who is open should shoot the shot. If he is open and he can't make it, I'd question why he was where he was on the court, or why he was playing at all.