Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBA Reviewing Jeff Foster fouls

Default Re: NBA Reviewing Jeff Foster fouls

Quote Originally Posted by IndyHoya View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So do we review Thomas' elbow to Hansborough too?
    i don't see why not, actually

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Rridiculous. None of those fouls were intentional. When foster hit Deng's head, it was mostly from Foster getting his lower body taken out from under him. So what does EVERYONE do when that happens? You put your arms down to try to save yourself and he managed to hit Deng on the head. Foul on Rose? It was hard yes and he nearly close-lined him but he went after the ball completely. Now I do think these are kind of worthy for review... but what about all the bulls fouls if they're going to review fosters?

Nothing after Hansbrough gets hit in the TEMPLE by Thomas? That's extremely dangerous. Don't tell me the seriously have never investigated that. Nothing about Boozer throwing that elbow at Hansbrough last game where Hansbrough got called for a foul?

Where are the reviews on those? Why does Foster have to get reviewed and not the placement of camera men? Is this about protecting players, or is this only about protecting the bulls players? Come on now.

I call shenanigans if they seriously never looked into any of those things.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Because the cynic in me isn't always rational?

And that discussion was about bias for decisions on the floor, which this is not about.
    The thread discussed more than just that one single point. Hicks straight up asked the question on what percentage people thought it was possible Stern dictated the way officials officiated the games.

So no, the discussion wasn't just about decisions on the floor. It was about the whole topic of the NBA and their treatment of superstar players and the teams that they play for.

This right here is why the discussion has merit, and why it should take place. It's absolutely ridiculous to look into his fouls.

We foul harder during our pickup games on match point.

I think it's even more ridiculous that some think the discussion about the leagues treatment of star players shouldn't take place. Or UB's assertion that the league doesn't favor starplayers. That is mindboggling.

"Oh no not my baby Derrick Rose" - David Stern

Stern has got to go. What a joke.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    Thomas got a one game suspension for that. HA! Of course not.

Quick question, there was a foul called on Hans when it looked like Boozer just hit him in the face. I was at the game and missed the replay, but was watching Hans when it happened and it really looked like Boozer purposely just hit him in the face. To be honest I was a fairly long way up in the balcony. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a replay? Thanks
    The replay clearly showed Boozer pushed Hasnbrough because Boozer bumped into Hasnrbough who had already established position. Boozer was the only player to commit a foul, and it should have been a technical foul.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

There was nothing wrong with those fouls, any more than there has been anything wrong with Boozer's repeated cheap shots at Hansbrough.

That said, my reaction last night after the second one was that Jeff might be in trouble with the league because there had been two overtly aggressive fouls by today's standards, even in the playoffs. It would be wrong for them to do anything but fine him, and even that would be excessive in light of the physicality of the series.

Unfortunately, I look for the officials to be completely different for game 4 and that they are going to magically start calling everything as if it is still regular season. That will potentially lead to an explosion by Rose and Deng, and a blowout loss for the Pacers whether Jeff is suspended or not, which I so hope doesn't happen because it would ruin an otherwise great series.

Mood

Looking at that clip, I can see why they think it might have been intentional. If I'm being honest. He starts to go for the ball, then for some reason starts to pull away from the ball on the way back down.... which leaves his elbow coming right on top of Deng's head.

I was going to say that maybe Jeff was trying to avoid the foul at the last split-second once he realized he wasn't going to get the block, but then if that's the case, why still swing so hard?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Hardest foul of the night was Noah swinging his elbows and hurting air.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I can't see the clip, due to work restrictions, so I'm working off memory.

He swings so hard because he can't let him get an AND-1 call. That's why playoff fouls are so hard, because the premium on every possession. It's not about just beating the other team up, it's also about not letting them finish the play.

Especially for an NBA player. They're so big and so strong that they're going to absorb incidential contact. So if you're going to foul them, you better foul them hard enough so they can't keep going and get more points on you.

Players have been taught since their Jr days, that if you're going to foul then you better not let them score. That idea just gets magnified and executed a little harder as the stakes rise.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Looks like he was going for the ball to me. Someone needs to prove otherwise.

Whether the defender goes for the ball or not means nothing. That is not a factor and not in the rule book in the NBA. Flagrant 1 is unecessary contact, flagrant 2 is unnecessary and excessive. A player could "go for the ball" and commit a flagrant 2.

Also whether it was intentional or not means nothing, that is not in the NBA rulebook either

I think Jeff should have been called for a flagrant 1 last night, he hit Rose in the head area with an elbow
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-22-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Whether the defender goes for the ball or not means nothing. That is not a facor and not in the rule book in the NBA. Flagrant 1 is unecessary contact, flagrant 2 is unnecessary and excessive. A player could "go for the ball" and commit a flagrant 2.

Also whether it was intentional or not means nothing, that is not in the NBA rulebook either

I think Jeff should have been called for a flagrant 1 last night, he hit Rose in the head area with an elbow
    Sure, I'm going under the assumption and excuse they are looking to give Jeff the day off. Flagrant 1 last night would be justified (Deng foul), but more than that with a suspension then I want to see Kurt Thomas gone for a game too.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Boozer's attempt to take away Hansborough's legs in the first game was the dirtiest in the series imo, as it's the only one that was irrefutably dirty. Foster's and Thomas' elbows are debatable.

It sucks that the way a player reacts/falls down decides whether or not a review is merited.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Sure, I'm going under the assumption and excuse they are looking to give Jeff the day off. Flagrant 1 last night would be justified (Deng foul), but more than that with a suspension then I want to see Kurt Thomas gone for a game too.
    Right now the only player that deserves to be suspended is Boozer.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I can't see the clip, due to work restrictions, so I'm working off memory.

He swings so hard because he can't let him get an AND-1 call.
    I was going to disagree with this, because Jeff is swinging/pulling-away-from the ball, but when I went back to the clip just now, he DOES still completely nail Deng's off hand/arm, so maybe that's all it was.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Whether the defender goes for the ball or not means nothing. That is not a factor and not in the rule book in the NBA. Flagrant 1 is unecessary contact, flagrant 2 is unnecessary and excessive. A player could "go for the ball" and commit a flagrant 2.
    Well, I think it's been said before that one of the ways an official decides if contact was necessary or not depends on if he feels the defender was trying to get to the ball as opposed to just 'randomly' whacking the guy.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm just going to say that just because there was contact, it doesn't mean that was a foul...might pertain to this case; might not...

Oh well, in the grand scheme of things, the NBA game as we know it today is SOFT.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This league is freaking ridiculous...some slightly more than soft fouls occur and they review it like we tried to murder someone. If it weren't against the NBA's new overrated pretty boy and his #1 team, they wouldn't even talk about reviewing these fouls. The ones that need to be reviewed are the fouls from Boozer and Kurt Thomas on Hansbrough--now those are malicious!!! I think it's hilarious how soft Rose and the Bulls are--no way will they win a championship EVER. Time for them to rebuild, for real. Rose = HIGHLY overrated. Can't wait for Dwight Howard to REALLY land a nasty foul on Rose!!!!!!

Supposedly both are being upgraded to flagrant 1

Hardest foul of the night was Noah swinging his elbows and hurting air.
    True. Noah likes to be all demonstrative with his pointy elbows. Someday he'll swing them at the wrong guy and he'll find himself on the floor, sans his scrunchy, with his luxuriant hair all free and loose - like a chick in a Breck commercial.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyHoya For This Useful Post:

And they'll be reviewing the work of the refs in....

Oh yeah, thats right, Stern thinks the refs can do no wrong.... When it benefits his chosen ones......
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sometimes its hard to admit your own player is a cheap shot artist, but we all know Foster has made a career of hitting people. That shot to Dang's head was obviously flagrant. He went directly for Dang's head with his elbow. If the league doesn't suspend Jeff, things will get way out of hand Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    And they'll be reviewing the work of the refs in....

Oh yeah, thats right, Stern thinks the refs can do no wrong.... When it benefits his chosen ones......
    As usual, all "reviews" are by unnamed people, done in private, without any public scrutiny or transparency, with arbitrary penalties, and without appeal.

The NBA's management sucks.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyHoya For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Wow, this just shows how soft the game is becoming. Compared to some hits I have seen the Oak Tree and Davis Bros land this was a love tap.
    It's absolutely ridiculous. They should just put dresses on. They would probably arrest Rik Mahorn for some of the fouls he committed in the early 90's.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Supposedly both are being upgraded to flagrant 1
    2 F1s is an ejection, is it a suspension for the next game?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    This league is freaking ridiculous...some slightly more than soft fouls occur and they review it like we tried to murder someone. If it weren't against the NBA's new overrated pretty boy and his #1 team, they wouldn't even talk about reviewing these fouls. The ones that need to be reviewed are the fouls from Boozer and Kurt Thomas on Hansbrough--now those are malicious!!! I think it's hilarious how soft Rose and the Bulls are--no way will they win a championship EVER. Time for them to rebuild, for real. Rose = HIGHLY overrated. Can't wait for Dwight Howard to REALLY land a nasty foul on Rose!!!!!!
    Yes, Boozer is blatantly fouling. His style is basically dirty and sometimes there appears to be an intent to hurt. One example was the push in the back when Tyler had a fast break. But Boozer's antics are usually off the ball so the refs don't pay attention to it.

Foster has been a little rough in a couple instances but not on the play that set Rose off. Rose simply ran into Jeff and while Jeff looks thin he is simply an immovable object. There is no one in the league right now that can just push Foster out of the way. I don't even think Dwight can do that. Back in the day when Shaq was in his prime, that was about the only guy Jeff couldn't check adequately in the post. Again, Jeff's looks are very deceiving.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post: