Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NBA Reviewing Jeff Foster fouls

Default Re: NBA Reviewing Jeff Foster fouls

I really felt Jeff's fouls really were in the realm of hard NBA foul. I haven't seen all of the fouls from Boozer, so tough to comment. I will tell you though, whether this real or percieved, I do feel the Pacers end up getting the short end of the stick on many of these decisions. I'm not going to call it Small Market or Conspiracy theory, just an honest observation.

During the Pistons/Pacers melee, the disparity in how things were handled still bothers me. One guy shooting more than the entire team? Part of that is a testament to Rose and his driving, but you always have to question that much of a disparity. Were there times when I have felt like the Pacers got preferential treamtent? Sure. But when the league gets involved, can't think of a time where it has seemed to work out equitablly.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep. Time to unleash the Manleavy!

I really hope Jeff goes into **** It mode tommorow.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Surprised no one has come in here to say "the officials are not evil"
    Well, the officials on the floor DIDN'T call either foul flagrant, so I'm not sure how the league upgrading the fouls to flagrant reflects on the officials being influenced in this case.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Well, I think it's been said before that one of the ways an official decides if contact was necessary or not depends on if he feels the defender was trying to get to the ball as opposed to just 'randomly' whacking the guy.

Perhaps it is a factor in the decision. but it is not a get out of jail free card. meaning if Player B killed player A on the court, but since he was going for the ball it is not a flagrant - obviously hyperbole, but makes my point.

Also works the other way if defender does not go for the ball but barely tocuhes the offensive player obviously won't be a flagrant

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    I'm not a big fan of being able to retroactively assess flagrants. If they aren't called in the game, let them be...

Oh really? Lets say the reverse happened. They were called flagrants during the game, and because of that jeff was suspendd the next game because he reached the limit. So you don't want the league to review those calls to confirm they were the corect calls. I think not. League reviews every call and every non-call made in every game

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Oh really? Lets say the reverse happened. They were called flagrants during the game, and because of that jeff was suspendd the next game because he reached the limit. So you don't want the league to review those calls to confirm they were the corect calls. I think not. League reviews every call and every non-call made in every game
    Who does the reviewing? Stu Jackson personally? Or is there some panel of other refs? Or is it a league Ombudsman? Or the game referees themselves?

What standards do they use? What determines whether a foul is deemed "flagrant" or not? Does the fact that the game refs didn't call the flagrant carry any weight? Does it reflect against the game refs if they missed the "flagrant" call? Will they be fined or demoted for missing the "flagrant" call?

Does the player or team affected have any input in the decision?

Does the injured player or the team affected by the asserted "contact" initiate the review or is the review simply automatic?

Is the review procedure set out in writing somewhere?

If the procedure, reviewers, standards are secret, why is that?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
    Last edited by IndyHoya; 04-23-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Here are the NBA Flagrant Foul Rules

Section IV--Flagrant Foul
    a. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpreted to be unnecessary, a flagrant foul--penalty (1) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team.

PENALTY: (1) Two free throws shall be attempted and the ball awarded to the offended team on either side of the court at the free throw line extended. (2) If the offended player is injured and unable to attempt his free throws, the opposing coach will select any player from the bench to attempt the free throws. (3) This substitute may not be replaced until the ball is legally touched by a player on the court. (EXCEPTION: Rule 3--Section V--e.) (4) The injured player may not return to the game. (5) A player will be ejected if he commits two flagrant fouls in the same game.

b. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpreted to be unnecessary and excessive, a flagrant foul--penalty (2) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team.

PENALTY: (1) Two free throws shall be attempted and the ball awarded to the offended team on either side of the court at the free throw line extended. (2) If the offended player is injured and unable to attempt his free throws, his coach will select a substitute and any player from the team is eligible to attempt the free throws. (3) This substitute may not be replaced until the ball is legally touched by a player on the court. EXCEPTION: Rule 3--Section V--e. (4) The injured player may return to the game at any time after the free throws are attempted. (5) This is an unsportsmanlike act and the offender is ejected.

c. A flagrant foul may be assessed whether the ball is dead or alive.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Well, the officials on the floor DIDN'T call either foul flagrant, so I'm not sure how the league upgrading the fouls to flagrant reflects on the officials being influenced in this case.
    I was commenting more on the big pictures, reviews for Jeff's fouls, but not for any of Boozers elbows, be it to the air or to the head of Foster or McRoberts

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I was commenting more on the big pictures, reviews for Jeff's fouls, but not for any of Boozers elbows, be it to the air or to the head of Foster or McRoberts
    Or Boozer's intentional throw-down of Hibbert? Not flagrant? Certainly wasn't "incidental" contact.

And isn't a potential flagrant reviewable by the game refs on "instant replay"?

If so, the game refs passed up two instances of calling Foster for a flagrant -- i.e., when the incident occurred and when the initial call was reversible after an in game "instant replay" videotape review.