Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy has played roughly one good quarter in this series. The first one. Since then, he's been a huge disappointment.

The big guy has come up small.
    If Hibbert shows up it's 2-1 us at worst

Let's not jump the gun on Hibbert. He is a 24 year old center in his first playoff series against the best post defense in the NBA. He also lost all this weight this past summer to fit JOBs "system" and it clearly has hurt his post game. JOB literally was ruining our young talent.

I expect Frank Vogel to be rehired and still preaching smashmouth basketball, and hopefully Hibbert will get stronger this summer. Hopefully someone will tell the big fella to bulk up with health food and build lean muscle mass and don't go the junk food route many NBA players go. Junk food will hinder your game and probably cause you to get hurt. Also he should stay away from suppliments. Milk, vegetable juice, fruits (not fruit juice), vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains and lots of water can strengthen anyone I believe.

Hopefully Hibbert choses the path of health and gains strength and proves to be our center before his 26th birthday. I just hope he can maintain his speed and get strong enough to get better position in the post. I think he doesn't need to get that much stronger and has progressed in that area since JOB got canned. It's just to little to late against the Bulls. If Vogel was the coach all last summer we wouldn't be in this spot. We would probably be knocking off the Hawks or the Magic lol.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't mind that Roy lost some of his "baby fat", but what he needs to do it put on some good weight, the muscle type. For a guy so big in frame, he gets pushed around way too much.

He acts like a chicken sometimes.

I wish he was as aggressive as Noah. Maybe not swing his elbows around nearly about to break someone's nose, but I want him to play with size and get fouled and dunk with authority.

I don't want him to be like a goofy Zydrunas Ilgauskas, but be like a tough Dwight Howard type.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Did Hibbert even take a jumpshot last night? I honestly can't remember one.

People were calling him a "mental midget" during the whole JOb arguments, which I thought was harsh and uncalled for. I do agree, however, that mental toughness isn't a strength of Roy.

After game 2 the camera panned to Roy sitting on the bench, and he had his elbow on his knee with a towel in his hand, and his head resting on his wrist. He just had this look on his face like his GF just broke up with him right after he proposed or something.

I think it's good to show emotions, and it's good that losing bothers him. But it shouldn't make him sad, IMHO. It should make him pissed off. That's competitive drive. Take that emotion of anger, and use it as motivation to work harder. He looked defeated, he looked lost.

Roy, you need to take some responsbility for your play and not start handing out excuses on why you're not getting your job done. You shot 3-12. You shouldn't be getting the ball anymore than that if you're only going to hit 3 of your attempts.

If you want the ball in better position, THEN GET YOUR BIG *** IN BETTER POSITION!!!!!

The team can't set you up and get you the ball where you want it, just because you want it there. You've got to take the initiative and get position. If you don't get the ball, yell for it on the floor. If they still don't get you the ball, get in their face. If they still don't get you the ball, then say it publically.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Roy was in great position with the ball many times and just missed the shot. What more does he want that a good look from two feet away from the basket?

I am at a loss to explain why some of you want him to gain weight, he is already slow and heavy footed enough and if he gains weith even all muscle he'll get even slower and more heavy-footed.

I would consider trading him, see what we could get.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Roy needs to shut up and start making shots. He is missing shots over a shorter defender who he should attack.
    He is getting better and is the most likeable player on the team. But the bottom line is he is soft and that will not change. It is in his DNA and players do not all of a sudden get tough.
    If he adds weight he will just be a bigger, slower version of the softie he is now. If he gains weight he will be in contant foul trouble and would need to be benched or traded!

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    He acts like a chicken sometimes.

I wish he was as aggressive as Noah. Maybe not swing his elbows around nearly about to break someone's nose, but I want him to play with size and get fouled and dunk with authority.

I don't want him to be like a goofy Zydrunas Ilgauskas, but be like a tough Dwight Howard type.
    If Roy was half as tough as Noah he would be an all-star! Shoot, if we was half as tough as Jeff Foster he would be an all-star!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I am at a loss to explain why some of you want him to gain weight, he is already slow and heavy footed enough and if he gains weith even all muscle he'll get even slower and more heavy-footed.

I have wanted to trade him since forever he isnt menatly or physically strong enoght to play at a high level on a regular basis. My off season plan if im the gm would be expolre trades for Danny and Roy. Obviously I wouldnt trade them for just any deal but if a decent deal came around I would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

What do you have in mind?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Can't complain about touches when you can't finish around the rim.

With that said, despite Roy's issues, I doubt a better center is going to be available in the next several years.

We're going to have to hope he keeps working his *** off to get better, sees the fruits of his labor, and that we get a better power foward to start next to him.

I'm fine with upgrading (and I'm also happy to keep him), but I just don't see how that's going to happen.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hibbert was definitely better once he lost the weight, he just had another weakness that defenses exploit, and that is his lack of aggressiveness to get up to the rim to finish. Some of that is muscle in his lower body, but most of it is mental.

Roy losing the weight is one of the main reasons his fouls went way down this year. This was NOT some negative advice from an idiot who didn't know better - in fact, weren't people saying at the beginning of the year that the advice was good AND it took a lot of work on Roy's part individually over the summer to make it happen, so it couldn't possibly have been from the coach?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Where you get the ball is crucial. When you get the ball is crucial. The post play is very dependent on which side your man is guarding you and where you can get the ball at. Roy has been forcing the issue the past 2 games trying to get his shots up from angles and positions he normally does not get them from.

He has plenty of bunnies at the rim that just go in and out. He is not taking bad shots. His touch is simply just a hair off. He is a playoff rookie. You can say trade him all you want but there is not way to pratice the physical play of the playoffs. Roy has been eating up 3 years of nba regular season basketball. With a guy on your back shoving you out of position and every time you get a good shot you get called for a offensive foul I could see why he would be frustrated. He is so close to dominating noah. Its not other way around. dissect hibberts shots and you will see that once he gets that playoff touch down around the rim he will be back up at 15 ppg.

This playoff series is the best thing that could of happened to hibbert. You better believe he will come back from this stronger. He is very eager and willing to learn. Vogel has said he is the most coachable player he has.

Another thing I wish he would get away from before these playoffs games is those damn 5 hour energys. The camera showed him drinking one RIGHT BEFORE tip. IF YOUR READING THIS ROY take your shot before shoot around. Get yourself going with that energy shot in you. This goes back to that touch. The inside game is all about a minute flick of the wrist. Your body already has adrenalin going during the game that throws your shot off there is no reason to add increased energy or jitters throw it off that much more. I am sure its great for his defense and court awareness. But I have seen the effects first hand from guys that are shooters drink them before game. They are instantly long.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    The inside game is all about a minute flick of the wrist.
    Or, perhaps, about playing 7'2" tall and doing the jump necessary to jam the ball into the hoop instead of trying to finesse it in every time.

He gets the ball in plenty of time to take a step on the defender, he just holds until the double comes before moving...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Or, perhaps, about playing 7'2" tall and doing the jump necessary to jam the ball into the hoop instead of trying to finesse it in every time.

He gets the ball in plenty of time to take a step on the defender, he just holds until the double comes before moving...
    He is not athletic enough to do that. From the angles and positions he is in he would need about another 5 inches of vertical. Roy is a throwback player. His game resembles the game of the past. The desire and height are there, he is just going to take more time to get his footwork and go to moves perfected.

Mood

Love ya Roy, but if you want the ball in a better position you're going to need to actually hold your position for more than a fraction of a second and/or make your moves quicker.
    Last edited by gummy; 04-22-2011 at 07:41 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

I do like the tough mindset of Kendrick Perkins.

I just wish Roy had that mindset and the body and being 7-2, that would be huge.

I like Marc Gasol too. He has a big body and is aggressive.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

If you guys haven't been reading 8p9s during this series, I highly suggest you do before the series ends.

Quote Originally Posted by 8p9s View Post
    Here’s Hibbert’s shot chart from last night’s game.

Look, Hibbert did not get frozen out by his teammates, and the game plan didn’t go away from him. His usage rate was just under 30%, which is extremely high. He had opportunities, and he failed to convert them. Alex Yovanovich highlighted the concerns that Roy’s play has raised more completely than I can here, but at this point, Hibbert does not appear to be built for the playoffs.

In a series full of Pacer surprises – mostly pleasant – Roy’s play has probably been the only thing besides Derrick Rose’s ability to get to the line that has gone according to what I expected. Physically, he is just not strong enough to get and hold position. As a result, he does a very poor job of “presenting himself” for the entry pass.

Mentally…well, I have opinions that I’m grossly unqualified to state, but we’ll leave those out. One thing that I think most will agree from watching him is that he’s incredibly indecisive. Almost every time he gets the ball in the post, it’s as if he’s funneling requests for decisions through a bloated and overworked bureaucracy. On more than one occasion last night, he received the ball on the block -unguarded – after getting a baseline screen, then waited for the defense to come to him before he made any kind of move.

If you cannot make a decision, one will be made for you – and you will rarely like it.
    Like others have said, the biggest disappointment of the playoffs. Larry should have sold high.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Roy started the beginning of Game 1 off really well and it put us in control.

When he's doing well, we're a dangerous team and we'll win.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Larry should have sold high.
    Oh my God. Really? As if there was this clear 'peak' for Roy that the majority would agree upon that was the best Roy was ever going to be in his career. The kid is a 3rd year player. 'Sell high' doesn't even apply to him yet!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Oh my God. Really? As if there was this clear 'peak' for Roy that the majority would agree upon that was the best Roy was ever going to be in his career. The kid is a 3rd year player. 'Sell high' doesn't even apply to him yet!
    I really don't want to run afoul of the Hibbert fans. Hell, I'd consider myself one, mostly. But to say that his trade value at the end of 2010 was certainly not the highest it ever will be is off-base. We have Roy under contract for next season; you could argue that as an expiring rookie deal, he's more valuable then. Fine. That's nit picking. Is he worth resigning? For how much? How can trading him not be an option moving forward?

Roy is not untouchable. He's going to have the same problems (fatigue issues, body issues, mental issues?) unless drastic things take place. We'd love to see Roy get much stronger while staying mobile and keep an even keel emotionally. We'd love to see Brandon Rush show that he gives a ****. We'd love it if Lance Stephenson had a different brain. But this is the NBA and you look at the history and play the percentages. 'Sell high' must always be an option, even if it's a 4th or 5th option in deciding a player's status in a franchise.

But I don't want to talk about this. Let's send this series back to Chicago!