Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Is true neither Hibbert or Tyler got the ball at the right place.


    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...cers-in-again/



    Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    THE `BURBS – Roy Hibbert is usually his worst critic when it comes to his play.

    But Hibbert changed things up – to the surprise of some media members – when he talked about his 3-of-12 performance against the Bulls in Game 3.

    “I’m not getting (the ball) where I want it,” he said. “I don’t want to shoot jump shots. I want to get it in the paint, get it on the block. We’re running other stuff.”

    Hibbert’s comments made me go back and look at the play sheet.

    The big fella took nine shots from within 10 feet of the basket.

    Hibbert was asked about some of the shots he missed closed to the basket.

    That’s when his tone changed.

    “I need to get in a rhythm,” Hibbert said. “It’s on me.”

    Hibbert has a right to be upset because he hasn’t had a memorable series. There were a couple times Thursday where you could tell he was frustrated because he wasn’t getting touches.

    It didn’t help that he spent most of the game in foul trouble.

    Hibbert’s shooting 38 percent (10-of-26) from the field.

    The Pacers have to get something out of Hibbert in the post if they expect to extend the series to a Game 5.

    The same can be said about Tyler Hansbrough.

    He went from dominating Carlos Boozer in Game 1 to now being a non-factor.

    Hansbrough is 5-of-24 from the field in the past two games.

    I’m surprised Frank Vogel stuck with him instead of giving Josh McRoberts more minutes on Thursday.

  2. #2
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,113

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    The amount of bunnies Hibbert misses saddens me.

    Its also not like Hibbert is able to get good positioning for his teammates to give him the ball - the reason he is getting the ball where he is getting is cause he isn't able to establish a down low presence...just feels like he doesnt have the body strength to do it.

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,988

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    He has absolutely nothing to complain about in game #3. The Pacers repeatedly got him the ball again ad again in good position, and he did not deliver. Pacers did a lot of nice things in order to get the ball to him down low. These are the playoffs, it is really hard to get a post player the ball against playoff defense, so I don't know what Roy expects, but he's not getting a layup everytime

  5. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  6. #4
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,358

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is true neither Hibbert or Tyler got the ball at the right place.
    Neither of those assessments is true.

    Both players got the ball repeatedly in the correct place. Neither player could convert those opportunities.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 04-22-2011 at 07:53 AM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,988

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    If you watch the playoffs it is often times imposible to get a post player the ball in good position, the defense does everything they can to deny that good position, because that is the most important thing when guarding a post player

  9. #6

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He has absolutely nothing to complain about in game #3. The Pacers repeatedly got him the ball again ad again in good position, and he did not deliver. Pacers did a lot of nice things in order to get the ball to him down low. These are the playoffs, it is really hard to get a post player the ball against playoff defense, so I don't know what Roy expects, but he's not getting a layup everytime
    This. Hibbert was tough defensively, I thought, but he has no right to complain about what happened on offense.

    He really needs to toughen up his offensive game this summer, to say the least. There are times where he looks skillful, but they're too far apart. Most of the time, he looks like the softest 7-footer in the league when he gets within a foot of the rim.

  10. #7
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,149

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Roy has played roughly one good quarter in this series. The first one. Since then, he's been a huge disappointment.

    The big guy has come up small.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    The negative impression that Hibbert has made during this series is, sadly, equaling or surpassing the positive impressions made by George and Vogel.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  13. #9
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,522

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    I agree with most of the comments here, but one thing for sure is that Pacer are not trying to establish an inside out game. Pacers usually get several easy points off of posting up Hibbert and having the PG or Dunleavy cut to the basket and Hibbert gives them nice feed for the layup. They dont' do that right now. Maybe Chicago's defense is just too good. But i'm just saying they aren't running plays through Roy.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  14. #10

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    The Pacers really need an All-Star level post player (yeah, who doesn't?) in order for Roy Hibbert or Tyler Hansbrough to succeed in the starting lineup.

    I'm not sure how they acquire one, realistically.

    In my dream, Dwight Howard demands a trade to the Pacers.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

  15. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The amount of bunnies Hibbert misses saddens me.

    Its also not like Hibbert is able to get good positioning for his teammates to give him the ball - the reason he is getting the ball where he is getting is cause he isn't able to establish a down low presence...just feels like he doesnt have the body strength to do it.
    There is one thing Hibbert has not learned that Hansbrough has learned. When near the rim, do NOT lay the ball off of the glass, go strong to the rim and attempt to dunk it. Leave nothing to chance. Go up strong, brace yourself for contact and be physical. You won't get fouls called on you for pushing off with the left hand/arm if you have the ball in two hands with the intent of throwing it down.

    I disagree slightly about Hibbert's positioning. I think he is able to get to where he needs to be in order to receive the ball. Unfortunately, when one talks about a "window of opportunity", this fits Hibbert to a "T". He has a short window of opportunity for receiving the ball where he wants it/needs it... if the PG is not in position to take advantage of that window, it is soon lost because Hibbert cannot hold that position for very long. He gets position, but despite his length, he does not have the strength to hold it.

    So, personally I think Hibbert needs additional strength to be able to better fight for position. And, I think he needs "a pair" to be willing to escalate his game physically once he does get the ball in good position.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

    RWB

  17. #12
    Member jcouts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Age
    35
    Posts
    434

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Now I want to sign Nene even more this offseason...

    Roy got the ball several times right where he wanted it and either didn't convert or rushed the opportunity.

    Shut up Roy and get your lanky behind on the hipsled in the weight room. You'd be amazed at what a little leg strength can do to help this situation.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

  18. #13

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    When Hibbert gets the ball in a "better position" he promptly picks up an offensive foul. I think he had two last night. Just as with Tyler, the Bulls adjusted quickly to Roy, not that much adjusting was necessary.

  19. #14
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,190

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    I really want Roy to learn how to go up quick for a decisive move to the basket when he gets the ball. His lack of offense comes from taking to long to get to the rim, and defenses find that VERY easy to counter - especially when the 7'2" big man tosses up a little bunny jumper instead of crashing up to the rim for a jam.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers really need an All-Star level post player (yeah, who doesn't?) in order for Roy Hibbert or Tyler Hansbrough to succeed in the starting lineup.

    I'm not sure how they acquire one, realistically.

    In my dream, Dwight Howard demands a trade to the Pacers.
    DH wouldn't get the ball with the point guards we have, they suck at feeding the post.

  22. #16
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,391

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy has played roughly one good quarter in this series. The first one. Since then, he's been a huge disappointment.

    The big guy has come up small.
    Indeed.

    When you are missing gimmies and playing like the softest 7 footer in the NBA you do not have room to talk about where you are getting the ball.

    The guy has been a huge disappointment this season. He has a long way to go this offseason.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:


  24. #17

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    DH wouldn't get the ball with the point guards we have, they suck at feeding the post.
    I don't know what you're watching. George and Rush are both very good at feeding the post. DC would be better with Howard, but I guess everyone would.

  25. #18
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,003

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    He has to get stronger. Part of it may be the play calling, but part of it is the responsibility of the big to establish himself in the low block. Right now, Roy isn't strong enough to get good position down low consistently.

  26. #19
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,149

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    DH wouldn't get the ball with the point guards we have, they suck at feeding the post.
    They aren't great, but Hibbert is just really bad about keeping position. His legs are way too weak, and he doesn't get low enough.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  28. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know what you're watching. George and Rush are both very good at feeding the post. DC would be better with Howard, but I guess everyone would.
    There is a reason why they use Josh,PG,Rush and Mike to feed the post, Because our points guards can't do that

  29. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They aren't great, but Hibbert is just really bad about keeping position. His legs are way too weak, and he doesn't get low enough.
    I gree with this, the problem is that a lot of times when Roy is inside the paint he can only be there for few seconds(3sec rule) and our point guards fail to see this.

  30. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They aren't great, but Hibbert is just really bad about keeping position. His legs are way too weak, and he doesn't get low enough.
    I agree, and I also agree sometimes the guards miss him getting position and so he [obviously] loses said advantage.

    That said, no excuse for him to miss all the bunnies he has this series

  31. #23
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,584
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    Roy was right when he got frustrated about two or three weeks into the season after teams made the adjustment to get physical with him and body up to throw him out of position and affect the balance on his shots. He said at that time that he needed to put 20 lbs back on, and I could not agree more. More strength and weight, coupled with a full summer with an actual big man coach (not just a week with Walton) working on footwork and positioning coupled with teaching him the technique of posting and re-posting to get deeper position could make Roy into a monster in the low post.

    Would the extra weight be harmful to his long term health by increasing the stress on his feet and knees? Yes, I think that would probably happen. However, in the interim, he would be fearsome offensively, and more effective as a rebounder who can hold his position in traffic on both ends of the floor.

  32. #24
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,453

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    I've never seen a guy so tall who plays like he's so short. Is he afraid of getting blocked. A few of those shots in the game were at the basket. He just needs to dunk the ***** out of the ball instead of trying to bank it or lay it up. Get that weak crap out of here.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  33. #25

    Default Re: Hibbert wants the ball in a better position

    The one area where I feel bad for Roy, or that isn't so much his fault...

    Jim O'Brien: Hey, you need to lose weight and get lighter to run the court this offseason. Fatty McFatFat.

    Roy: Okay.

    [loses weight]

    Jim O'Brien: You soft piece of ****. Why don't you weigh more? Now you're getting tossed around like my granddaughter in a moon bounce. Except she has a better shot at Most Improved Player than you do. Now, please, go die in a fire.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 07:15 PM
  2. Chad Ford's Mock 6.0 6/22/10 ROUND ONE
    By Chuck Chillout in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 12:33 AM
  4. The PD NBA Draft
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 04:55 PM
  5. Draft Express - NBA Player Scouting Reports
    By OakMoses in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 06:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •