Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Official INDIANA FEVER 2011-2012 season thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Official INDIANA FEVER 2011-2012 season thread

Fever are rolling right now with a awesome win today over Connecticut. Were currently on a 7 game winning streak.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Erin has done an excellent job since January got hurt, hope she keeps it up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Erin has done an excellent job since January got hurt, hope she keeps it up.
    She was perfect from the field today.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Phillips has been impressive. Dare I say our offense actually looks better than before.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dreaded 3 letter word in women's basketball, poor thing, hope she has a healthy recovery

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/brian..._for_2011.html

She didn't have one until she was older, so she's likely to not be a player who has another ACL injury, so long as she recovers well.

I'm hoping they figure out what causes this soon. (Lots of theories for why it's different with women than men, and what types of things cause it.)

I saw here at the pro am and she didnt have a brace or anything she looked fine. I guess it doesn't hurt unless u cut? When is the surgery for

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I saw here at the pro am and she didnt have a brace or anything she looked fine. I guess it doesn't hurt unless u cut? When is the surgery for
    I think I've read that she's not going to have the surgery for a little while, which is why she doesn't have a brace.

And it really depends on the player in terms of pain. I mean, just thinking back from Uconn players, Jessica Moore tore her ACL in a game, continued playing..and actually played quite well, where as Kalana Greene tore hers, and pretty much needed to be carried off the court.

It's tough to say what it's like for players that wait a little while without surgery, but I'd guess you are correct, that it would be walking is fine, but running/cutting would be an issue. Most people get the surgery within a week or two.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

My roommates and I all won tickets to the Los Angeles @ Indiana game on the 31st. Woot!
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    My roommates and I all won tickets to the Los Angeles @ Indiana game on the 31st. Woot!
    Sweet! Congratulations! I just bought tickets for the IN @ LA game on August 18th. Hopefully we'll both get to see LA get run out of the arena.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Sweet! Congratulations! I just bought tickets for the IN @ LA game on August 18th. Hopefully we'll both get to see LA get run out of the arena.

FO SHO!
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Constellations For This Useful Post:

Mood

I don't know why Katie Douglas is sucking all of the sudden. But it has to stop and/or Zellous needs to pickup the slack.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know why Katie Douglas is sucking all of the sudden. But it has to stop and/or Zellous needs to pickup the slack.
    The Fever need more of an offense than "get the ball to Katie" so the slack CAN be picked up.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Bill, our offense is definitely lacking, but I'm not sure if that's a fair assessment of what's been happening.

Last game:

Catchings 22 pts on 8-19 shooting
    Phillips 21 points on 7-14 shooting.
    Douglas 4pts on 1-8 shooting.

Two things seem to be happening. One, Katie is missing shots she was making earlier in the season. Two, I'd say she is touching the ball less than she was then. Perhaps a little more "get the ball to Katie" mentality would force her out of her slump. She's 10-30 in the last three games, all loses. We have to get more from her. I know it's not all on her - the quality of the screens set for her has degraded recently, for example - but she looks tentative and dejected to me. She's fumbling the ball more. The change seemed to come on so suddenly, I'm somewhat mystified by it.

What I am seeing is some of the old "get the ball to Catch, she'll bail us out," approach. That can work in small doses but an offense it does not make. Zellous passes up shots all the time or fires from the 3pt line instead of taking it toward the basket where she is much more effective. I can't tell how much of that is Zellous being hesitant on offense and how much of it is coaching.

I'm frustrated. Seems like we've got the pieces we need to contend for the most part and we look like world beaters one week and clueless newbies the next.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anybody know any good links that I could watch some WNBA games? Live Access doesn't work on my work computer so that's out. HELP?
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Mood

Anybody know any good links that I could watch some WNBA games? Live Access doesn't work on my work computer so that's out. HELP?
    Hmmm, I wonder why Live Access doesn't work - I don't know any other way, sorry.

Hmmm, I wonder why Live Access doesn't work - I don't know any other way, sorry.
    Yea, no one really bothers to put the streams up, pretty much because Live Access is free.

Why doesn't it work on your computer?

Bill, our offense is definitely lacking, but I'm not sure if that's a fair assessment of what's been happening.

Last game:

Catchings 22 pts on 8-19 shooting
    Phillips 21 points on 7-14 shooting.
    Douglas 4pts on 1-8 shooting.

Two things seem to be happening. One, Katie is missing shots she was making earlier in the season. Two, I'd say she is touching the ball less than she was then. Perhaps a little more "get the ball to Katie" mentality would force her out of her slump. She's 10-30 in the last three games, all loses. We have to get more from her. I know it's not all on her - the quality of the screens set for her has degraded recently, for example - but she looks tentative and dejected to me. She's fumbling the ball more. The change seemed to come on so suddenly, I'm somewhat mystified by it.

What I am seeing is some of the old "get the ball to Catch, she'll bail us out," approach. That can work in small doses but an offense it does not make. Zellous passes up shots all the time or fires from the 3pt line instead of taking it toward the basket where she is much more effective. I can't tell how much of that is Zellous being hesitant on offense and how much of it is coaching.

I'm frustrated. Seems like we've got the pieces we need to contend for the most part and we look like world beaters one week and clueless newbies the next.
    Fair enough, I go to the home games but seldom get to watch or listen to the away games, so I don't know if it was approached differently or not.

The last few home games our defense bailed us out because our offense consists too much of getting the ball to one person and having them try to do something, then if they can't they try to pass out to someone else. That has often been Katie as the option, and if she fires a long ball that misses it leads to a change of possession.

The offense needs to focus on creating easier scoring situations so that the shot attempt is higher percentage, rather than just getting the ball to someone who is open (or whose turn it is) for a drive or jumper.

I'll keep an eye out tonight to see what is going on, but it looks like a problem when there isn't a scorer on the floor (meaning the bench has no scoring plays and has to hope they can play stellar defense until one of the hot starters gets back in the game).
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Fair enough, I go to the home games but seldom get to watch or listen to the away games, so I don't know if it was approached differently or not.

The last few home games our defense bailed us out because our offense consists too much of getting the ball to one person and having them try to do something, then if they can't they try to pass out to someone else. That has often been Katie as the option, and if she fires a long ball that misses it leads to a change of possession.

The offense needs to focus on creating easier scoring situations so that the shot attempt is higher percentage, rather than just getting the ball to someone who is open (or whose turn it is) for a drive or jumper.

I'll keep an eye out tonight to see what is going on, but it looks like a problem when there isn't a scorer on the floor (meaning the bench has no scoring plays and has to hope they can play stellar defense until one of the hot starters gets back in the game).
    Indiana's offense has never really been that good.
    Partially because the Fever's best player is more known for her defense than offense. And Partially because of the coach. And partially because of the point guard..who is also more known for her defense than offense. (Tully)

This season, I thought it would be better, because January has more offense in her arsenal. Although, it's more scoring her own offense than running an offense. And Erin is a combo guard. And I'd still say both of their strongest assets is defense.

I think when January is healthy, with a good offense, things could get better, because the team does have solid offensive pieces. But I doubt they will with the current offense.

I think Katie's just in a slump right now, and doesn't really want the ball.

Indiana's offense has never really been that good.
    Partially because the Fever's best player is more known for her defense than offense. And Partially because of the coach. And partially because of the point guard..who is also more known for her defense than offense. (Tully)

This season, I thought it would be better, because January has more offense in her arsenal. Although, it's more scoring her own offense than running an offense. And Erin is a combo guard. And I'd still say both of their strongest assets is defense.

I think when January is healthy, with a good offense, things could get better, because the team does have solid offensive pieces. But I doubt they will with the current offense.

I think Katie's just in a slump right now, and doesn't really want the ball.
    Yeah, they've lived and died by their defense for as long as I've been going to games. In my opinion, that's why they haven't been able to push through that final level - defense is necessary but you have to be able to score when it counts against the opponent's defense or it does you little good.

Katie seems to go through these periods every year, though last year I thought it was because she was worn out from the heavy load she had outside the Fever season. A little offensive punch off the bench would really help take some of that pressure off.
    BillS

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, no one really bothers to put the streams up, pretty much because Live Access is free.

Why doesn't it work on your computer?
    My work computer is just so limited to what can be downloaded or uploaded video wise.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fever games are called by 1070 right?

Fever games are called by 1070 right?
    Yes, usually.
    BillS

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yes, we're too reliant on our defense, though it should also be pointed out that our transition D has been really bad in these 3 losses. I think that must be part of the reason Sutton-Brown is starting again - she's better than Davenport at getting back up the floor. I hate to potentially disrupt Jessica's offense though. The other big problem area has been giving up offensive rebounds. I honestly think the transition D and offensive rebounds have been bigger problems as of late than our start-stop offense.

We've got to set better screens for Katie, teams are really crowding her on the perimeter and she doesn't have a quick enough first step to compensate. Katie also needs to want it - as Sookie pointed out, she doesn't seem to. Shooting slumps seem to really get in her head.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shannon is really making her presence known tonight! I love it!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nice win tonight. That losing streak was dragging.

Cure for a losing streak is a game against the Sky...

Seriously, the whole "think of the paint as an acid pit with lava underneath it" offense is driving me nuts. It doesn't help that Davenport plays like she weighs about 20 lbs in the post.

And I just noticed tonight that Katie runs under the front court through two screens, gets the ball with a full step on her cover, and stops dead. Of course, up comes the cover AND the screener's defender, for an instant double-team. Gotta either keep moving or take a shot there.
    BillS