Thread: Official INDIANA FEVER 2011-2012 season thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Official INDIANA FEVER 2011-2012 season thread

Jessica Moore cut as well

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Glad for the win tonight but lucky the Sky stink on offense. Fever's jumpers falling for the most part and a pretty strong defense, but the offense still consists far too much of dish-and-drive or a poorly executed pick attempt leading to a muddled jumper.

Jessica Davenport seems to be stepping up in the middle quite nicely when she is on the floor, and I'm always loving me some "Spud" Bobbitt...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Yeah you could definitely tell that was that first game of the season... it was so sloppy it was crazy, turnovers by both teams, miss handled balls...hopefully we put up a better showing in our next game.

But yes happy for the win anyways.

WNBA related, there was an outside the lines interview with Taurasi and Monique Cooker (Sp). Both had tested positive for a drug test, and both hadn't taken it. Scary circumstance really. I wonder if Taurasi's the biggest Athlete to have been accused of drug testing, and actually told the truth about not taking it.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6632692

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WNBA related, there was an outside the lines interview with Taurasi and Monique Cooker (Sp). Both had tested positive for a drug test, and both hadn't taken it. Scary circumstance really. I wonder if Taurasi's the biggest Athlete to have been accused of drug testing, and actually told the truth about not taking it.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6632692
    she only makes 1m a year in Europe? I find that hard to believe i would think she would make at least 5m.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    she only makes 1m a year in Europe? I find that hard to believe i would think she would make at least 5m.
    I would think so to, seeing as that same team was offering her 200,000 per game if she came back and played the rest of the season (which had ten games)

I'm not completely sure though. I think with the added benefits (housing, jewelry, vacation trips) that her old Russian Owner (who was...assassinated..) gave her, Bird, and Jackson it was probably around 5 million a year. I don't think she's that spoiled in Turkey though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gotta love our girls!

Follow me at @Bluejbgold

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Constellations For This Useful Post:

Well, that was an offensive nightmare tonight.

If we don't start seeing more out of this team than missed picks, bad drives, passed up short range shots in favor of passing out to a low percentage long-range jumper, I don't know what will happen.

Thank goodness for the defense showing up in the second half, it was the only thing that kept us in the game.

When we first started going to Fever games I could not understand the antipathy toward Lyn Dunn. Now, I begin to feel it rooting in my soul.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Katie is currently leading the league in scoring right now at 21.0 ppg.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

we're at the fieldhouse now.

holy **** katie douglas has got to be the best player in the wnba. if only more players could be as good as her this would be a lot more exciting.

we're here because we missed coming to the fieldhouse and it is true hoosiers just cant resist good basketball. cant wait for next pacers season.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Mood

lol Katie in her profile pic looked like a female Vogel... no offense...

I was at tonight's game and was wondering what happened to the DETROIT Shock?

Why'd they move to Tulsa? They were like one of the more successful of the WNBA franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    we're at the fieldhouse now.

holy **** katie douglas has got to be the best player in the wnba. if only more players could be as good as her this would be a lot more exciting.

we're here because we missed coming to the fieldhouse and it is true hoosiers just cant resist good basketball. cant wait for next pacers season.

See, that's the problem with the assumptions about the WNBA, there are SO many good players in this league, but people still think it's like the WNBA of old. (Katie, although have a fantastic start..is not even top 10 with Candace Parker, Lauren Jackson, Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Maya Moore, Tamika Catchings, Cappie Pondexter, Penny Taylor, Tina Charles, Sylvia Folwes..I could probably go further.)

It's a shame you saw the Shock though...they aren't exactly very good..in fact..their best player is a rookie, who didn't even play. Cambage and Pederson are really the only players worth keeping on that team. (Maybe Latta) And both are rookies.

If You're interested, the Seattle Storm are a fantastic team. Honestly, the talent on that team is probably more ridiculous than the Heat, and are much more balanced. They have the best point guard in the world (Sue Bird), the best Center (Lauren Jackson) (many would argue best player, although I'd go with Taurasi ) A top 5 SF in Swin Cash. The record holder in three pointers shooter in the league, and one of the best perimeter defenders in Katie Smith. And a few good role players to match. The pretty much creamed the rest of the league last season. (Never lost a game in the playoffs)

The Minnesota Lynx are a really young, fun, and up and coming team. Extremely talented. They've got Maya Moore (probably will win ROY) Seimone Agustus (top player in the league) Lindsay Whalen (probably second best point guard in the league) Rebecca Brunson (has been the best player in the League so far)..then off the bench they have Candice Wiggins who was a WCBB POY, Monica Wright, who is a fantastic shooter, and Charde Houston..who is as inconsistent as can be, but when she's on, can score from anywhere.

Chicago Sky have been a surprise. Their rookie point guard has shown a lot of promise, and is actually quite the treat to watch. (Courtney Vandersloot - recently broke the NCAA all time assist record for Men's or Women's CBB I believe) and Sylvia Fowles is like, the women's version of Dwight.

The Connecticut Sun and the Fever always have good games. Although the Sun probably won't finish too well this season.

And the Phoenix Mercury, although struggling early, have two of the best players in the world in Taurasi and Penny Taylor. Taurasi seems to never have a good game against the Fever though. But if you catch her on a good day...she's unbelievable.

So if you are unfamiliar, but want to check out some games, those are my suggestions.

edit: Detroit simply sold the team and a buyer in Tulsa took them. Honestly, they've been some what of a train wreck. The best players from the Shock (Deanna Nolan, Cheryl Ford, Katie Smith) refused to go there, as I said..they've essentially got only two players worth keeping (although Cambage is a fantastic building block.) But their coach is worse than O'brien..and seemingly more Stubborn. (He's the 40 minutes of hell guy)
    Last edited by Sookie; 06-14-2011 at 10:43 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

See, that's the problem with the assumptions about the WNBA, there are SO many good players in this league, but people still think it's like the WNBA of old. (Katie, although have a fantastic start..is not even top 10 with Candace Parker, Lauren Jackson, Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Maya Moore, Tamika Catchings, Cappie Pondexter, Penny Taylor, Tina Charles, Sylvia Folwes..I could probably go further.)

It's a shame you saw the Shock though...they aren't exactly very good..in fact..their best player is a rookie, who didn't even play. Cambage and Pederson are really the only players worth keeping on that team. (Maybe Latta) And both are rookies.

If You're interested, the Seattle Storm are a fantastic team. Honestly, the talent on that team is probably more ridiculous than the Heat, and are much more balanced. They have the best point guard in the world (Sue Bird), the best Center (Lauren Jackson) (many would argue best player, although I'd go with Taurasi ) A top 5 SF in Swin Cash. The record holder in three pointers shooter in the league, and one of the best perimeter defenders in Katie Smith. And a few good role players to match. The pretty much creamed the rest of the league last season. (Never lost a game in the playoffs)

The Minnesota Lynx are a really young, fun, and up and coming team. Extremely talented.

Chicago Sky have been a surprise. Their rookie point guard has shown a lot of promise, and is actually quite the treat to watch. (Courtney Vandersloot - recently broke the NCAA all time assist record for Men's or Women's CBB I believe) and Sylvia Fowles is like, the women's version of Dwight.

The Connecticut Sun and the Fever always have good games. Although the Sun probably won't finish too well this season.

And the Phoenix Mercury, although struggling early, have two of the best players in the world in Taurasi and Penny Taylor. Taurasi seems to never have a good game against the Fever though. But if you catch her on a good day...

So if you are unfamiliar, but want to check out some games, those are my suggestions.

I agree with that 100% i watched Minnesota vs LA the other day and i though i was watching the WNBA all star game they have massive names in the WNBA and really good talent top to bottom on each team. It is almost like every WNBA team is a super team all i know is that Minnesota team might have the most talent in the WNBA. With Walden, Maya Moore and Simone Augusta that team is stacked. (i dont watch WNBA ball except when i am channel flipping but both those teams were stacked. I still though Walden played for Connecticut then i googled the trade she got traded in a massive deal. )

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Please don't take it the wrong way. I do really enjoy watching WNBA basketball ever since the Fever were in the Finals.

These girls play their asses off and have a fun time out there no matter how much they're getting paid or how many people are in attendance. They love the game.

Hell, I wish the Pacers were as successful as the Fever are in the WNBA. The Fever are pretty much contending every season.

I've watched some other games this year on TV. Maya Moore is going to be something special. Candice Parker is pretty much like the female Kobe Bryant in LA. She's a great player.

I was really impressed with how well Katie Douglas has done this season. She was making shot after shot after shot tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    Please don't take it the wrong way. I do really enjoy watching WNBA basketball ever since the Fever were in the Finals.

These girls play their asses off and have a fun time out there no matter how much they're getting paid or how many people are in attendance. They love the game.

Hell, I wish the Pacers were as successful as the Fever are in the WNBA. The Fever are pretty much contending every season.

I've watched some other games this year on TV. Maya Moore is going to be something special. Candice Parker is pretty much like the female Kobe Bryant in LA. She's a great player.

I was really impressed with how well Katie Douglas has done this season. She was making shot after shot after shot tonight.
    Your post just seemed like you hadn't watched many games, so I was filling you in a bit. I was just thinking it would be a shame if someone's first experience with the WNBA had been the Shock.

Mood

I thought it was a great game tonight. The girls clamped down on defense when they needed it and Catch was on in the end. My two little girls were jumping around the house they were so excited to see the girls play.

Your post just seemed like you hadn't watched many games, so I was filling you in a bit. I was just thinking it would be a shame if someone's first experience with the WNBA had been the Shock.
    I'm in no way as big a fan as you are and I appreciate you filling me in a bit.

I just wondered what really happened with the Shock because I used to enjoy the Fever/Shock rivalry games much like the Pacers/Pistons.

The Fever are a hell of a team and I wish the Pacers would be at the top like them.

Also as far as WNBA attendance goes, the Fever are towards the top so like I said before Hoosiers can't resist winning basketball.

They definitely can't resist it when it's coming from the Pacers so I'm excited for next season while I was sitting at the Fieldhouse tonight.

We had a good time tonight so we'll definitely attend some more games this season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jeanette Pohlen is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

I watched Vandersloot play a couple times in the women's tournament. She's pretty amazing. I couldn't believe she got so little respect nationally.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I watched Vandersloot play a couple times in the women's tournament. She's pretty amazing. I couldn't believe she got so little respect nationally.
    I never saw her play in college, just saw her recently. She's fearless with her passing. Which is atypical with female players.

She didn't get the credit she deserved because WCBB is very "elitist" and Gonzaga is not an "elite" school. Between Maya and Griner..and then Diggins..it was going to be hard for her to get recognition anyway.

Interesting.

Even with the win, I think this is the worst overall offensive scheme I've seen from the Fever since I started attending games (bear in mind I've only watched them under Lin Dunn). Ball movement and player movement off the ball seems almost non-existent, and it is only if the jumpers are falling against a low-offense team we seem to do well.

The typical focus of the Fever has been on defense, and they have been doing better at that lately, but at some point they need to have more consistent scoring than they can count on from outside shots and dish-and-drive situations.

That said, I saw some actual executed pick and rolls Tuesday night, so there is hope.

Losing Ebony in the paint has hurt more than I expected, and so far none of the point guards seem to be able to distribute the ball quickly. This could be a problem.
    BillS

Fever are always contenders because they have had a Superstar in Catchings. She's amazing, offense and especially defense. They have done a nice job of getting girls around her as well. The Fever aren't the best team but they are always in it, which makes it exciting. I hope they can win a Championship for Tamika.

Tamika and Douglas are like our Jordan and Pippen
    I hope to see more Fever games this year, i don't think i was able to watch one last year..

Pacers are just that star away.
    Last edited by Ownagedood; 06-16-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Pulled out the win last night, almost got in trouble with ball sloppiness near the end.

I still don't like the offense in any way shape or form, but the defense has so far managed to keep us in the running.
    BillS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Fever are always contenders because they have had a Superstar in Catchings. She's amazing, offense and especially defense. They have done a nice job of getting girls around her as well. The Fever aren't the best team but they are always in it, which makes it exciting. I hope they can win a Championship for Tamika.

Tamika and Douglas are like our Jordan and Pippen
    I hope to see more Fever games this year, i don't think i was able to watch one last year..

Pacers are just that star away.
    You mean diana taurasi and cappie pondexter?