Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syracuse and Pittsburgh to the ACC, done deal apparently

Default Syracuse and Pittsburgh to the ACC, done deal apparently

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...14-team-league

Pittsburgh and Syracuse, once flagship programs of the Big East, have been accepted as members of the Atlantic Coast Conference, extending the league's current membership to 14 schools, the ACC announced on Sunday morning.

The exact date for the move remains uncertain, as Big East bylaws require schools to pay a $5 million exit fee and give 27 months notice before leaving. ACC commissioner John Swofford said the league "fully respects" the bylaws of the Big East, but Pitt chancellor Mark Nordenberg said the Big East provides options for withdrawl.

"I would think that in the weeks ahead everyone will be looking at the transition period and trying to determine whether the 27-month notice period really serves everyone's best interest or whether there should be some modification to it," Nordenberg said. "It was important to us that commissioner Swofford made clear right from the start the ACC would be comfortable with waiting for that period of time if that is the way that things unfold."

The ACC's preemptive move comes in the wake of uncertainty across the collegiate landscape, as Texas and Oklahoma are expected to meet on Monday to discuss their futures in the Big 12, and Texas A&M is still trying to work its way into the SEC.
    That happened fast, the news about them applying to join just came out two days ago. The ACC could definitely use the hoops depth, it's been Duke and UNC and then everyone else by a large margin.

Looking more and more like 4 "superconferences" is going to happen. Welcome to the Big Ten Notre Dame. And count me in the camp that wants Butler as a B1G basketball only member.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Syracuse and Pittsburgh to the ACC, done deal apparently

This will be great for basketball the ACC will be the premier conference now instead of the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This will be great for basketball the ACC will be the premier conference now instead of the Big East.
    ugh.

I'm gonna miss playing Syracuse. Love that coach.

Pitt just always seems to beat Uconn, so they can go.

I actually think both teams will struggle, unless the reffing changes to reflect the Big East style. (Which is completely different.) Otherwise, all their good players will just foul out.

edit: Apparently Uconn might be next to the ACC. That'll be fantastic. Big East is screwed, but I won't care any more :P
    Last edited by Sookie; 09-18-2011 at 04:13 PM.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wonder whats gonna happen with Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Stay in the Horizon?? Join the MO Val? They aren't joining the big ten don't get your hopes up....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hate this. I really do. I love the traditional conferences and the idea of these huge mega-conferences sucks.

Let's play a little what if game: When the Big Ten was looking for it's 12th member so it could have a conference title game, say Notre Dame agreed to join. Does any of this happen? Eventually, I think it was probably inevitable, and the Pac-10 certainly would have still wanted to add two schools (Utah wouldn't have made a difference since they came from a non-power conference). Colorado still could have hopped to the Pac-10 and the Big 12 could have just subbed in TCU. That would have been the ideal scenario. But now we have all this **** happening, and I can't stand it.

Dgreenwell is right--this doesn't affect Butler at all. It's all about football, sadly. I guess it's possible that somewhere down the line Butler might shift conferences to the Missouri Valley or something, but that's about it.

Football will always hold them back from joining a bigger conference. Although I guess there would be a chance for them to get into the Big east.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Also TCU must feel like asshats for committing to the Big East so quickly. Thats like banging the first girl that hits on you at college then the hot girl that liked you won't talk to you anymore because she thinks you're a perv.

Mood

ACC tourney will be in Madison Square Garden soon. The Big East is gonna be no more in a few years JMO.

Now you're just jumpin' to all sorts of conclusion. Big East still has St. john's who is the main MSG school.

Mood

UCONN will be the next to jump to the ACC

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    UCONN will be the next to jump to the ACC
    What a prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Also TCU must feel like asshats for committing to the Big East so quickly. Thats like banging the first girl that hits on you at college then the hot girl that liked you won't talk to you anymore because she thinks you're a perv.
    Well not like you can blame em. Jump to an automatic qualifier BCS conference that they'd likely win every year for the foreseeable future. In hindsight now it looks awful yeah, but made plenty of sense and I'd have done the same if I were them. As long as they stay strong in football they'll find a home, but it's going to be tough. The school's like Iowa State and Kansas State are REALLY going to lose in all this, they bring absolutely nothing to the table for anyone.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At this point, they may as well just change the "NCAA" to the "ACC."

Maybe espn will stop slobbering all over the Big East when they make the move. The BE has had some great regular season teams and epic conference tournament battles, but it has been very unimpressive in March, Kemba nothwithstanding.

The B1G may never win the challenge again. I just hope the ACC makes Pitt play Wisky every year.

How is winning 3 national titles as a conference since 2003 not impressive? Heck, the Big Ten and the Pac 10 don't even have 1 in that same time period.

Mood

If I was the Big Ten Commish, and I'm watching from afar as the Big 12 apparently survives yet again, I would immediately invite Kansas, Kansas State, and one other Big 12 school, maybe Missouri or Iowa State, and hope that those three, plus Nebraska already in the fold, plus the Big East going to be at least three teams down soon, is enough to Entice Notre Dame to finally align with a conference for all sports. That would get the Big 10 to 16 teams, getting two solid basketball programs and the Holy Grail of football programs in the process, with the added bonus of finally putting the Big 12 out of its misery. Something like that is the Big 10 style too, fitting right in to their style of unexpected moves. It would come completely out of left field. I think Kansas would accept the invite pretty easily and K State is going to go wherever they go. Convincing Missouri or Iowa State would be the hard one, especially if Missouri is talking to the SEC. Iowa State isn't a bad consolation prize though, especially if it gets you Notre Dame.
    Last edited by travmil; 09-25-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    How is winning 3 national titles as a conference since 2003 not impressive? Heck, the Big Ten and the Pac 10 don't even have 1 in that same time period.
    The Big East has obviously produced some great teams. The moniker is always "best conference from top to bottom." I think that given (1) the number of teams in the BE, (2) the number of teams that get invitations, and (3) the general perception of the league as having numerous contenders every year, they have underperformed in the tournament. When your conference puts in 11 teams and only 2 make the SS and 1 the EE, the hype machine was out of control.

If you're looking only at best outcomes, they do fine, though they are well behind the ACC and barely ahead of the SEC.

travmil: I'm hoping the ACC can pry Penn State from the B1G and add Notre Dame. With the addition of Pitt and Syracuse, the ACC's inevitable northern division seems to be a better home for those teams than the B1G. Its a long shot, since ND will only forgo its independence if four super conferences emerge and they are potentially going to miss out on a football playoff. That won't happen unless the Big 12 implodes, which looks unlikely now.

Mood

But the Big 12 would implode if the Big 10 did what I said and invited Kansas and K-State. Those two in the Big 10 plus one other destroys the Big 12 and forces ND to conference up.

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    travmil: I'm hoping the ACC can pry Penn State from the B1G and add Notre Dame. With the addition of Pitt and Syracuse, the ACC's inevitable northern division seems to be a better home for those teams than the B1G. Its a long shot, since ND will only forgo its independence if four super conferences emerge and they are potentially going to miss out on a football playoff. That won't happen unless the Big 12 implodes, which looks unlikely now.
    I cannot see PSU leaving the Big Ten for the ACC. All the money is in the Big Ten. Our culture fits the Big Ten. Also, the Big Ten is an excellent academic conference and that actually plays a huge role for Penn State. I really can't see PSU leaving the B1G.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    If I was the Big Ten Commish, and I'm watching from afar as the Big 12 apparently survives yet again, I would immediately invite Kansas, Kansas State, and one other Big 12 school, maybe Missouri or Iowa State, and hope that those three, plus Nebraska already in the fold, plus the Big East going to be at least three teams down soon, is enough to Entice Notre Dame to finally align with a conference for all sports. That would get the Big 10 to 16 teams, getting two solid basketball programs and the Holy Grail of football programs in the process, with the added bonus of finally putting the Big 12 out of its misery. Something like that is the Big 10 style too, fitting right in to their style of unexpected moves. It would come completely out of left field. I think Kansas would accept the invite pretty easily and K State is going to go wherever they go. Convincing Missouri or Iowa State would be the hard one, especially if Missouri is talking to the SEC. Iowa State isn't a bad consolation prize though, especially if it gets you Notre Dame.
    Missouri to the B1G has been rumored for the past few years. I didn't see the Mizzou to SEC rumor though. I think the Big 12 can collapse in an instant with all the rumors about Texas swirling around. If Texas leaves, Oklahoma will too. And that will kill the Big 12. I hope the B1G would go after Kansas and K-State at that point.

I think sooner than later, the big 6 conferences will be down to 4, SEC, B1G, Pac 72, and the ACC. I just don't see the Big East surviving the loss of Pitt and Cuse. When will TCU announce they aren't joining the Big East?

I don't see PSU leaving for the ACC either, it is certainly a long shot.

I don't see the B1G taking the Kansas schools. They do not fit the academic profile, and unlike Nebraska, bring nothing to the football table.

In fact, taking the Kansas schools will probably force ND to the ACC and is probably the only way the ACC gets Penn State. It has been widely reported that ND prefers the ACC to the B1G and will look there for conference affiliation first. If the B1G dilutes its academic profile with the Kansas schools AND the ACC gets ND, Penn State might tag along.

But, as you have noted, it is a long shot. B1G money and football is better historically and better now.

The Big Ten will do no more expanding, and it certainly won't be raided by the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    The Big East has obviously produced some great teams. The moniker is always "best conference from top to bottom." I think that given (1) the number of teams in the BE, (2) the number of teams that get invitations, and (3) the general perception of the league as having numerous contenders every year, they have underperformed in the tournament. When your conference puts in 11 teams and only 2 make the SS and 1 the EE, the hype machine was out of control.

If you're looking only at best outcomes, they do fine, though they are well behind the ACC and barely ahead of the SEC.

The reason, IMO, the Big East struggles in the Big tournament is style of play.

In the words of Geno Auriemma, the Big East plays "mug and thug" basketball. Because of this, it is simply the hardest basketball (or was) league to play in. And I'm actually interested in seeing Syracuse, and especially Pitt play and adjust in the ACC.

Against each other, they get away with it. However, that's not the style of play in the NCAA tournament that tends to win.

Still, the ninth best Big East team won the NCAA championship last season, and two years ago was half of the Final four. It hasn't exactly done poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    The reason, IMO, the Big East struggles in the Big tournament is style of play.

In the words of Geno Auriemma, the Big East plays "mug and thug" basketball. Because of this, it is simply the hardest basketball (or was) league to play in. And I'm actually interested in seeing Syracuse, and especially Pitt play and adjust in the ACC.

Against each other, they get away with it. However, that's not the style of play in the NCAA tournament that tends to win.

Still, the ninth best Big East team won the NCAA championship last season, and two years ago was half of the Final four. It hasn't exactly done poorly.
    Cuse will be fine, although I'm sure that team in Durham is just salivating at the thought of getting open looks from behind the arc all game long.

Pitt was the Big East's poster child for ugly, physical basketball. They will hate playing the fainting goats at Duke more than anyone else. I'm also curious to see if they have the athletes and depth in the post to get up and down with Carolina. Otherwise, the traditional ACC powers of Wake, Maryland, NC State, and Georgia Tech have been bad. FSU is up, but they play like they're in the Big East anyway.

I also would not call Kemba's Huskies the 9th best team in the conference by any stretch. They did win the conference tournament, after all.

I'm also not going to agree that the Big East's MMA style of hoops is holding it back in the tournament. The Big East style of play is a symptom of the athletes they get and the systems they run, not a diagnosis in itself.