Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Postgame: Ugh.

Default Re: Postgame: Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy got 12 shots tonight... He only played 23 minutes too. I don't think its time to bail on the guy, but he didn't play well tonight or in the series.
    The issue of his only taking 12 shots does not negate the fact that he missed several ridiculously easy shots. And it goes hand in hand with the fact that he played only 23 minutes, which was a direct result of his foul trouble but in the past reduced minutes has been due to his ineffectiveness as well. I know that Roy is taking a lot of blame for this loss, but in my mind, if we don't see an overall improvement from his game next season, manifested by a reduction in games he is in foul trouble and fewer "disappearing acts," I would like to see him moved to backup C, where I think he will be more comfortable.

If a healthy Jeff Foster returns, I am comfortable giving the experiment one more year. I hope it works out for Roy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by itscaleb View Post
    Another depressing loss. I'm glad what I saw from granger in crunch time, but we just had some terrible plays drawn up in the last minute. The collison shot and the last possession, couldn't get an open look at the basket what so ever. It will be interesting to see how we respond in game 4.
    I don't think Collison ran the right play when they had the ball tied at 84. Danny was irate in the huddle after that play and I think it was a major mistake on DC's part.

It looked like the play was designed to go to Danny off a staggered screen. Danny ran the play and popped open about 17 feet from the basket but Darren put his head down and shot a forced jumper instead of hitting the open man.

Lack of execution was the problem. I think Frank was drawing up the right plays but the players just couldn't execute them on the offensive end in the last minute and a half.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I agree that OKC is young and with far more talent and potential. It's not close even if Paul turns into Durant-lite. But I'm not really saying the Pacers are the babies of the league. What I am saying is that I thought the Bulls were not that much older...but they really are if you just count the future of the teams.

As for peaks, I think we need to wait until George matures, we use the cap space and potentially move Granger for more youth. I agree with the current crop our peak is going to be lower...but what I am hoping is that the Paul George era is just starting. IOW, I expect the team to continue to have turnover and add more talent...so in a sense you are right. This particular group is not taking us anywhere. George plus something else beyond Danny is going to be necessary.
    Agreed, agreed. Paul George and the willingness to trade Granger are the key factors.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    The issue of his only taking 12 shots does not negate the fact that he missed several ridiculously easy shots. And it goes hand in hand with the fact that he played only 23 minutes, which was a direct result of his foul trouble but in the past reduced minutes has been due to his ineffectiveness as well. I know that Roy is taking a lot of blame for this loss, but in my mind, if we don't see an overall improvement from his game next season, manifested by a reduction in games he is in foul trouble and fewer "disappearing acts," I would like to see him moved to backup C, where I think he will be more comfortable.

If a healthy Jeff Foster returns, I am comfortable giving the experiment one more year. I hope it works out for Roy.
    Don't worry, the center position will be solidified for the next 10 years starting with next season.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011
    NBA teams interested in Stanko Barac

You can never have enough 7-footers.

Stanko Barac(2.17-C) spoke to acb.com and said that although he has a contract with Baskonia in 2015 there is interest from teams from the NBA franchise as well. This means that the Croatian center might be leaving Baskonia in the summer for an NBA team. This is not news as Barac was selected by the Miami Heat as the 39th overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft and was traded to the Indiana Pacers.

Last season he signed his 3-season extension with Baskonia but as always in these cases there is an NBA-out clause in his contract. If this happens Baskonia will be losing a 3rd big man to an NBA team after Scola and Splitter but obviously Barac is not of the same caliber. So far he has averaged 11.4 points and 5.3 rebounds in 20 games in the Euroleague and also 11.2 points and 6.9 rebounds in the ACB in 25 games.
    http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2011/04/...nko-barac.html
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 04-22-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Peck, maybe we are discussing different aspects of the crowd. Sure maybe at the loudest last night the crowd was as loud as ever, that is certainly possible, I just don't know. What I really meant when I said it was a average playoff crowd, I was talking about the number of times they got really loud. The number of times the crowd and cheered during a whole defensive possession, or the number of times the whole crowd chered throughout a whole timeout or the feeling the crowd was willing the team to a voctory. That is what I was talking about and I thought in those aspects the crowd was average.
    I think the problem is our memory returns to that 05/06 series where it just didn't seem anyone cared. That includes the players and the fans. It is burnt into my brain seeing someone actually reading the star while the game was going on.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I don't think Collison ran the right play when they had the ball tied at 84. Danny was irate in the huddle after that play and I think it was a major mistake on DC's part.

It looked like the play was designed to go to Danny off a staggered screen. Danny ran the play and popped open about 17 feet from the basket but Darren put his head down and shot a forced jumper instead of hitting the open man.

Lack of execution was the problem. I think Frank was drawing up the right plays but the players just couldn't execute them on the offensive end in the last minute and a half.
    I saw this play play out the same way. Collison should have passed the ball to Granger. He was wide open and had the hot hand and could have easily made that shot in rhythem.

Anyway...

Did anyone see Vogel's post-game interview? The man looked like he was struggling to hold back tears. Poor guy.

I really can't say I blame him. My eyes welled up for the team, too. They fought so hard. To come up short again after challenging the Bulls for three straight games. It has to be mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting.

My heart goes out to him and the entire team. They really should have won atleast one game by now in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post

I think Roy Hibbert's problem is simple: He hasn't decided which type of Center he wants to be. Let me explain...

There are fundamentally skilled Centers like "The Admiral" David Robinson and The "Big Fundamental" Tim Duncan.

Then you have the more athletic Centers like Dekimbe Motumbo or Hakeem "The Dream" Alijuwan.

And then there are you power Centers like Shaq and Dwight Howard or even Blake Griffen.

Roy right now is trying to be that fundamental Center with a mixture of athleticism. He has to figure out which one suits his skills best and stay with it; perfect it. He has improved, but too often he finds himself either in early foul trouble or he's out of possition and rushes his shots or takes them off-balance. When he gets the ball where and when he wants it and he's patient, he's as good as any Center out there fundamentally. But when there's a breakdown - maybe the ball doesn't get to him fast enough in the post or maybe he gets in further out than he'd like and gets doubled, in these such situations he has to make that quick decision on what to do with the ball and commit to it. Problem is as I've said, if he gets the ball out of position he tends to take that quick, off-balance shot instead of passing it back out for the reset.

If he's going to be a fundamentally skilled Center, he has to improve in his execution.

If he's going to be an athletic Center, he needs to learn some finesse moves to the basket and start playing more above the rim.

If he's going to be a power Center, he must learn to get the ball where he can take one or two strong moves to the basket and as they say, "Throw it down, big fella!"

Either way, he must decide which type of Center he wants to be. That, to me, is his problem going forward but it's a problem that's very correctable.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 04-22-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Frustated that we have small point guards
    Really does make a big difference in so many ways doesn't it. What you can do at 6'5" on up versus what you can do at 6' or 6'1" - things like defend, pass over the top, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loCYR...e_gdata_player
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Eleven assits. Eleven. 11. Elf. That needs to improve.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

DC was hurt, and it showed, the play he made was incredibly boneheaded at the end of the game yes, there is no excuse not to pass to granger who was open and on FIRE, bu toverall given the circumstances he wasn't that bad. What did hurt us was his size though, korver was able to simply shoot over him multiple times, that happens when were playing someone like rose, who is simply in another league offensively. However there aren't that many pg's that Darren absolutely cannot defend like westbrook and rose, and one isn't in our conference. Darren is fine as our starter, he's been important and was among the largest factors why we played chicago so close on the road. PErhaps a larger defensive minded backup pg is in order? Darren is fine against most pg's.

All in all, the losses sting, but if anyone told you before the series that we had a chance to be up 3-0 instead of down 3-0 I think everyone would have taken it. Our team has shown heart, now let's find a closer to add to the core.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have the screenshot of Foster after the hard foul on Rose? That was vintage Foster.

Mood

honestly tyler is also best off the bench imo. he's GREAT when hitting his jumper, and in games where he's on we can ride him, but he's a defensive liability just as much as collison, and is less consistant on offense.

He can be a great 6th man, but i'm not sure he's best served as starter. He's a weak rebounder and too reliant on the jumper. The other problem is that he's not shy about shooting alot even when his jumper isn't falling.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Hard to fault Granger for being irate on that one. Jesus.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    All in all, the losses sting, but if anyone told you before the series that we had a chance to be up 3-0 instead of down 3-0 I think everyone would have taken it. Our team has shown heart, now let's find a closer to add to the core.
    And I hate to say it but that's why Bird is insistent we hang onto Lance Stephenson.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    And I hate to say it but that's why Bird is insistent we hang onto Lance Stephenson.
    If that's the big plan, we're ****ing screwed.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Mood

There were several crowds in 2004 - I know you hated that team, but come on they got to the ECF. Plus Peck, where were you siting at the time. The crowd sounds a lot louder the lower you sit. I have always sat in the lower level and I thought it was an average for a playoff game crowd.

I guess we disagree.
    UB, I'm completely in sympatico with both you and Peck. My first playoff games to attend were ABA (barely remembered). However, then it was the amazing sight of Bird getting boo'ed in MSA in 1991.

Then I was at the Rik up and under Tree Rollins win in 1995.

So on... each of those was a unique crowd experience...

I don't think we can look at now and compare it to 7 years ago any more than we should've compared those early playoff runs to the ABA crowds... different eras, different circumstances, largely different fanbases.

You're likely correct in how it fits in taken as a whole, but outside the context of the level of apathy we've endured since the finals (which 'good times' of the 2004 team helped create).

At least from my seat up here in Canukland, aided by the fact that our feed from NBATV lost Chris and Quinn, leaving only the arena feed, I'd last last night was a big, big step forward.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It seemed to me that the Pacer fans in the lower bowl just below our Club seats were standing almost the entire 4th quarter.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Is it just me or did anyone else find it EXTREMELY annoying when the stadium kept playing organ-like music EVERY time the Pacers had the ball?

I was watching on TV and couldn't hear the crowd because they kept piping in that stupid music.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    Is it just me or did anyone else find it EXTREMELY annoying when the stadium kept playing organ-like music EVERY time the Pacers had the ball?

I was watching on TV and couldn't hear the crowd because they kept piping in that stupid music.
    Funny, I was thinking that AT the game I didn't hear any of the ambient music at all.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

What would you guys think of.going small? For a few moments a game.go with grange at the 4. Jones at the 2 and pg at the 3.

Deng is getting to danny. If they don't put boozer on him then they have to put him on George.

Just a thought.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    I saw this play play out the same way. Collison should have passed the ball to Granger. He was wide open and had the hot hand and could have easily made that shot in rhythem.

Anyway...

Did anyone see Vogel's post-game interview? The man looked like he was struggling to hold back tears. Poor guy.

I really can't say I blame him. My eyes welled up for the team, too. They fought so hard. To come up short again after challenging the Bulls for three straight games. It has to be mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting.

My heart goes out to him and the entire team. They really should have won atleast one game by now in this series.
    Vogel really seems like a whiner. You like this guy??

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    Its incredible to me that DRose feels he can drive into the lane untouched...I'll give him credit because he's not afraid to drive in there, but he has to stop complaining. I was happy to see this:

Wow. I was in the balcony last night and figured there was a decent amount of contact for Rose to get ticked, but that video you posted shows there was barely any. Rose drives like a wildman to the basket and gets irritated when a player has the audacity to challenge him. That twice this series where he's got his panties in a bunch over a "hard" Pacer foul. He still has a lot to learn if he's throwing fits about stuff like that. I wish Perkins was still on Boston so him and KG would be there waiting every time he took it to the basket. Then he'd be wishing it was Jeff Foster making contact with them.

The way Rose plays, his body will be fried by the time he's in his early 30's. Will have the skill to be a great player once his body begins to betray him?

All I can say is, I will be rooting hard for whatever team the Bulls play next. I just pray either the Celtics or the Heat take care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    honestly tyler is also best off the bench imo. he's GREAT when hitting his jumper, and in games where he's on we can ride him, but he's a defensive liability just as much as collison, and is less consistant on offense.

He can be a great 6th man, but i'm not sure he's best served as starter. He's a weak rebounder and too reliant on the jumper. The other problem is that he's not shy about shooting alot even when his jumper isn't falling.
    Give him time. He's still has a lot of learning ahead of him. I don't think he's that much of a defensive liability, and if his defense against Boozer in this series is any indication, he could wind up being a good defender. He's offense is trouble when his jumper isn't falling, but that can be remedied if he learns to get by players off the dribble and some post moves.

Hibbert is the player that comes out looking the worst from this series. I don't know if this has been referenced yet, but take a look at this post on 8points9seconds
    http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.co...cers-starters/

The part on Hibbert:
    I certainly would not pay big money to a center who canít score in the low post when the going gets tough. For most of this season, Hibbertís play was a microcosm of this team. When things were easy Hibbert and the Pacers would perform well. When there were no expectations on the team, you could count on a good game. If the going got tough they would fold like a cheap tent. Thatís how you end up with the staggering number of double-digit losses that this team had this year. Under both OíBrien and Vogel that was a problem.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    What would you guys think of.going small? For a few moments a game.go with grange at the 4. Jones at the 2 and pg at the 3.

Deng is getting to danny. If they don't put boozer on him then they have to put him on George.

Just a thought.
    I haven't really noticed deng getting to danny, he's comfortably outplayed him all series. If anything deng is the one that's got a bit chippy this series and is only shooting 40 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheColdHardTruth View Post
    Vogel really seems like a whiner. You like this guy??
    Well, yes we do. Seems like Rose is a whiner, do you really like him?

You know the digest has no problem with fans of other teams, but remember it needs to be more than trollish.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post: