Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Reason We are Down 0-3

Default The Reason We are Down 0-3

We are asking our point gaurd to match up with their shooting gaurd. It has cost us three games I think. If I can pinpoint it to anything it has to be this. To bad Lance had to mess everything up, because he was the only point gaurd we had big enough to guard Rose, and that would have allowed us to leave Paul George on Korver or Brewer and not Collison or Price sprinting late after the shooter about 6 inches to short to affect the shot.

Simple and plain, we need a bigger point gaurd if putting Paul George on Rose will ever work. They are exploiting us at the SG spot when we are on defense and the Bulls have leaned on it to win. Finally last night Frank did a situational substitution. So either Lance has a miraculous turnaround in 24 hours (he won't), or we get exploited by their SG again.

Actually I think just leaving Collison to gaurd Rose may have been the better option. I'd rather have Paul George playing help defense on Rose and if he has to sprint back to his shooter he has like 11 more inches in wing span to affect the shot.

Will we let Collison and Price gaurd Rose next game or are we going to live and die by this strategy?
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 04-22-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Reason We are Down 0-3

dude DC on Drose we would have been blown out in the first 3gms. We are down 3-0 because we dont have a closer it is that simple. Our gameplan has been solid.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Rose would score 97 points a game on DC. This is a fact.

We need Eric Gordon in a Pacers uniform.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We are down 0-3 because we can't keep them off the offensive glass, get little production from anyone not named Danny Granger, can't execute down the stretch, and are a young and inexperienced team. Playing DC on Rose is a terrible idea. I much rather him chasing whatever SG is in the game.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

Teams always have deficiencies. We have one (or two) deficiencies too many. Here's hoping we make up for those in the coming year. I'm hoping at least one good move (trade or FA) plus the improvement of our core will be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We need Eric Gordon in a Pacers uniform.
    I will stick with Paul George. Bigger, stronger, more athletic, and plays better "D". Not to mention he will be millions cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    We are asking our point gaurd to match up with their shooting gaurd. It has cost us three games I think. If I can pinpoint it to anything it has to be this. To bad Lance had to mess everything up, because he was the only point gaurd we had big enough to guard Rose, and that would have allowed us to leave Paul George on Korver or Brewer and not Collison or Price sprinting late after the shooter about 6 inches to short to affect the shot.

Simple and plain, we need a bigger point gaurd if putting Paul George on Rose will ever work. They are exploiting us at the SG spot when we are on defense and the Bulls have leaned on it to win. Finally last night Frank did a situational substitution. So either Lance has a miraculous turnaround in 24 hours (he won't), or we get exploited by their SG again.

Actually I think just leaving Collison to gaurd Rose may have been the better option. I'd rather have Paul George playing help defense on Rose and if he has to sprint back to his shooter he has like 11 more inches in wing span to affect the shot.

Will we let Collison and Price gaurd Rose next game or are we going to live and die by this strategy?
    You are right on one thing. We really do need a bigger point guard if we are ever going to make a serious run. Guys in the NBA are just bigger and stronger today then they were 10-20 years ago.

hmm did u even watch the games? George on rose obviously best option and he's been doin really good on him, id rather contain rose and let korver have better shots then let rose destroy collison with ease...

You can't be serious. Collison would have been blown into the weeds trying to guard D. Rose. He can't do it. And Born Ready? Stephenson would still be looking around for Rose long after the play was over while everyone else was heading back to the other end of the court. No way could he keep up with Rose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They held DRose to 23 points on 4-18 shooting and forced him to turn the ball over 5 times. They also held him to 2 assists. The defense on Rose was the best it's been all series last night.

If Hansbrough and Hibbert had shot better than a combined 6-24 the Pacers would have won. That is the real reason the Pacers are down 0-3.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

I was hoping Vogel would have let Dahntey play extended minutes, but he pulled him at a time when he was doing quite well. The way I see it, the Pacers' problem is that they haven't used the one player they have who can probe the defense, get inside, create shots for himself and finish at the rim AND is not afraid of the contact.

Collison can do it, but I think he fears the contact. TJ Ford can do it, but Vogel seems reluctant to use him except when either our primary or secondary PG gets hurt. BRush can do it, but he's been on the floor more for his perimeter shooting or 1-on-1 defense and even that's been suspect against bigger Shooting Guards. Granger and Dunleavy can do it, but only when either has a clear-out by the Bigs (Granger) or is able to come off baseline screens or PnR plays (Dunleavy).

The only player who can do this on his own and is NOT affraid of the contact is Dahntey Jones. If you look at game footage of each game in this series, what you'll find is in that final 3 minutes - CRUNCH TIME - the Bulls put the ball in DRose's hands and lets him facilitate. More often than not, he's going to run clock and drive to the basket. The Pacers know it's coming. It's a clearout! Rose sits out there...dribble...dribble...dribble...waiting...bi dding his time...picking his moment. And like all PG/SGs, he knows the defense will either try to take him 1-on-1 or the interior defense will converge on him. Defenders then have to decide, "Do I stay with my man out on the wing or do I collapse on DRose and hope to either draw the foul and he misses or I get the steal." The 3rd worse thing that could happen is Rose kicks the ball out to the wing-man (Kover or Deng) and they knock down the open 3PA. The best case, he misses the shot and doesn't get fouled. But what ultimately happens is he either gets the And1 or he draws the foul and still gets to the free throw line. That, ladies and gentlemen, is playing "smarter, not harder" and few NBA players understand this or are gifted enough to do it well.

Dahntey Jones is the only player on this team who isn't affraid to drive the lanes, get inside the defense, and finish at the rim. Don't get me wrong. Collison and TJ Ford both can do it, but Dahntey is fearless about it and has shown he can do it consistently. It's unfortunately that coach Vogel, who lamented Dahntey's skills once he became interim head coach, hasn't taken advantage of what this player has to offer more often. My hope is that he recognizes this come Saturday (or someone out their in PacerLand who is connected with management reads this and goes, "Hmmmm...there might be something to this." )

Personal Note: I wasn't too high on Dahntey coming into the season, but I've warmed to him since Vogel took over. He's a better two-sided player than I thought.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 04-22-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To add what Pacer4ever said we also need experience, but yes I thin closer would have helped out a lot, experience would have helped us from making some of the silly mistakes that we made.

Still glad that we got to the playoffs this year instead of being in the Lottery though.

Go Pacers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We are down 0-3 because Rose is the best player on either team.

They have Rose getting to the rim at the end of games and we have Granger chucking contested jump shots. Pretty simple.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

I think the only positions you can reasonably complain about this series is C and PF. Roy has been bad, and when he makes a bucket they call a phantom O-foul call. Tyler was good game 1 but he REALLY needs to develop some kind of low post move besides awkwardness. Danny has been good in my opinion. DC has been tough as nails. PG may be shooting like crap but his defense is amazing and he is super young.

While we don't have a closer, I think we proved we don't need one that bad once this team reaches its peak. If we had any production game 2/3 from Roy and Tyler, even Rose wouldn't have been able to save them.

I find it hilarious that Bulls' fans are celebrating like they won the championship already when they can barely beat the only team in the playoffs with a losing record and no superstar whatsoever. The fact they have the MVP makes it even better.

Here is to hoping they get blown off the map my Miami/Boston/Orlando down the road.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonHunter1105 For This Useful Post:

Bulls didn't get past 90 points yesterday. There is nothing wrong with our defensive strategy, we need to find ways to score more points down the stretch. That's it.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

The reason we are down 0-3 is rebounding. Plain and simple. They are absolutely killing us with second chance points.

I have wavered on this issue from time to time, but this team needs a front court upgrade like nobodies business. If we had a guy like Josh Smith out there it would change the complexion of this series immensely.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    We are down 0-3 because Rose is the best player on either team.

They have Rose getting to the rim at the end of games and we have Granger chucking contested jump shots. Pretty simple.
    Without Granger we would have been blown out every single game.

Granger is our leading scorer shooting 50% from the field. He does this fighting constant double teams and taking all the defensive attention of the other team.

Granger is not the problem, his teammates need to step up. We don't have another consistent scoring option (outside of maybe Collison) on the Team. It is not his fault that he is forced to try to create offense when its not his strong suit, the fact of the matter is he is still our best scoring option even when he forces it.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post

Granger is our leading scorer shooting 50% from the field. He does this fighting constant double teams and taking all the defensive attention of the other team.

Granger is not the problem, his teammates need to step up. We don't have another consistent scoring option (outside of maybe Collison) on the Team. It is not his fault that he is forced to try to create offense when its not his strong suit, the fact of the matter is he is still our best scoring option even when he forces it.
    True. If we get a 14 point night out of Roy or Tyler, we win.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter1105 View Post
    I think the only positions you can reasonably complain about this series is C and PF. Roy has been bad, and when he makes a bucket they call a phantom O-foul call. Tyler was good game 1 but he REALLY needs to develop some kind of low post move besides awkwardness. Danny has been good in my opinion. DC has been tough as nails. PG may be shooting like crap but his defense is amazing and he is super young.
    Roy has disappointed most, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he'll work on some of this given he's never faced playoffs competition.

No need for any benefit of the doubt needed for Hansbrough. I KNOW he'll work this summer to get better. I think the expectations have been a bit unfair around here to be honest. He's practically a rookie starting in the playoffs playing Boozer. I expected him to struggle. Look where most PF rookies are right now. Was he expected to be a superstar in this series? Last season many here speculated he'd never play another NBA game. Look where he's at now. I'm sure he'll address many of his weakness over time.

I agree that the perimeter guys have been really good. George really can be a legitimate star if he maintains his defensive intensity and catches up on offense. Collison will get better. The Bulls are a particularly tough matchup for him (guard D. Rose or the SG; bad news for him), but he's more than hung in there.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    Roy has disappointed most, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he'll work on some of this given he's never faced playoffs competition.

No need for any benefit of the doubt needed for Hansbrough. I KNOW he'll work this summer to get better. I think the expectations have been a bit unfair around here to be honest. He's practically a rookie starting in the playoffs playing Boozer. I expected him to struggle. Look where most PF rookies are right now. Was he expected to be a superstar in this series? Last season many here speculated he'd never play another NBA game. Look where he's at now. I'm sure he'll address many of his weakness over time.

I agree that the perimeter guys have been really good. George really can be a legitimate star if he maintains his defensive intensity and catches up on offense. Collison will get better. The Bulls are a particularly tough matchup for him (guard D. Rose or the SG; bad news for him), but he's more than hung in there.
    Roy and Tyler have played pretty good defense too. Rebounding's been lopsided due to all Rose's penetration, but we've been competitive despite the Bulls edge there. We've also taken good care of the ball, for the most part, against what's supposed to be the best defense in the league.

We get a few breaks, we could beat a deflated Bulls team on Saturday. We'll see.

Lance ? On Rose ?

There is no universe, solar system or planet within which or on which
    Stephenson has any prayer whatsover of successfully guarding Derrick
    Rose.

Period !

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post

Granger isn't fighting double teams or all of the attention until the end of the game, which is when he can't score. Granger isn't our best scoring option when he forces it, at all. Case in point is the play last game when they were absolutely determined to get Granger a look in the last 20 seconds. He got the ball, gave it up, got it back and then chucked it. He was never comfortable or even had a chance to make that shot. It was pathetic looking.

In fact, when Granger is forced to score, just about any other option is a better option.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Granger isn't fighting double teams or all of the attention until the end of the game, which is when he can't score. Granger isn't our best scoring option when he forces it, at all. Case in point is the play last game when they were absolutely determined to get Granger a look in the last 20 seconds. He got the ball, gave it up, got it back and then chucked it. He was never comfortable or even had a chance to make that shot. It was pathetic looking.

In fact, when Granger is forced to score, just about any other option is a better option.
    Are we agreeing in something now? yeah I agree Danny was forcing some crazy shots yesterday, there was one fadeway 3 that he had no business shooting.

Sports Logo

Yes, having DC/AJ defending Bogans or Korver is one of the reasons why we are down by 3.....but it's not the main reason.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.