Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford on Paceres and coaching news

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Chad Ford on Paceres and coaching news

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/38021

Josh (Indianapolis)

Can we agree that the Pacers have made the Bulls look really bad?

Chad Ford (1:13 PM)

I don't see it that way. I think the Pacers are much better than people have given them credit for. They're deep, balanced and play really, really hard. They're just young, lost a lot of focus under Jim O'Brien and they lack a true superstar to take over in the 4th Quarter. They should be up 2-0 on the Bulls -- but that's not because the Bulls have played poorly. If Pacers could find a way to get a true star who could get his own shot ... they'd be title contenders in the East. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of talent in the FA market or in the trade market to see exactly where that guy is coming from.

Kyle (almond, ny)

How close to contending do you think the Pacers are? I really like their young pieces. Everyone they have is still young.

Chad Ford (1:35 PM)

They need more help on the boards. A long athletic rebounder would help them a lot. And they need a guy who can create off the dribble and get his own shot. Down the road, Paul George may be that guy. But that's probably another year or two away. What's crazy is all the talk that the Pacers need a front office change with Larry Bird and David Morway's contracts up. It's nuts. They've done a terrific job of building a team with middling draft picks, smart contracts and an eye toward depth and chemistry. Few GMs resumes will stack up to what they've done.

miser (ct)

chad,I think Rick Adelman would be the perfect hire for Joe D in Detroit...thoughts??

Chad Ford (1:37 PM)

He's going to get a lot of looks. Lakers (if Phil's gone), Detroit, Indiana. He's so respected. I'm a bit surprised Houston pulled the plug. I look at the Rockets weak roster and I see they won 43 games in the West and I think they must have a helluva coach.

John (Austin)

Chad, is the Rockets job a good job? Morey seems to really be a high-maintainence GM to deal with.

Chad Ford (1:38 PM)

The word is that they've been in hot pursuit of Mike Brown. Makes sense if the Rockets feel like they need to start emphasizing defense. But Houston won't be the only guy after Brown. Detroit and Indiana will also be in play.
    My dream scenerio would be we hire Rick Addleman or Mike Brown and make Vogel the lead aqssistant coach
    Last edited by 90'sNBARocked; 04-21-2011 at 11:48 AM.
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: **** MAN

very well put

Default Re: **** MAN

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Asdf, jkl; qwerty uiop[]\{}|

Zxcvb nm,./<>?

!@#$%^&*()_+
    1234567890-=
    Am I the only that gets that fukin error message everytime I post?

Default Re: Chad Ford on Paceres and coaching news

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    My dream scenerio would be we hire Rick Addleman or Mike Brown and make Vogel the lead aqssistant coach
    Sign me up... Adelman is one of the greatest offensive gurus in the history of the game and Vogel knows how to get our guys to play some amazing D (although we still can't box out for ****, which could be a personnel problem).

Sports Logo

It's good that the Pacers are getting this level of exposure....but Ford isn't saying anything that hasn't been said by other sources.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/38021

I don't think you'll have a situation with both Adelman and Vogel on the same coaching staff.

Vogel has high stock right now. If the Pacers keep playing like this for however long they still have games to play, there's a very good chance Vogel will get an offer from another team if the Pacers would rather have someone else as the coach.

And if you were Vogel's agent, you'd tell him to look for a head coaching job one way or another. If the Pacers would rather have Adelman, then start looking for another team that will give you the headcoaching spot. You strike when the iron is hot, and right now Vogel is hot. You don't play nice boy and go back to obscurity as an assistant when you have a huge career opportunity like this.

Right now, if Vogel decides to slide down the bench to make room for Adelman without even looking for another head coaching job, my hats off to him. A sign of true loyalty to an organization. It would also be a sign of someone who doesn't know how to make career choices and has little respect for himself.
    Last edited by d_c; 04-21-2011 at 12:15 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

I say keep Vogel. The players obviously love him. Plus, he's done an excellent job coaching this series.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

I like Vogel too. A few concerns would be:

1. He had an easy schedule
    2. Larry had say so over rotational minutes
    3. Honeymoon factor (See Lawrence Frank)
    4. To be fair he hasn't won a playoff game against a team whos never gotten out of the 1st round.

I know that sounds harsh, but I am in favor of keeping him. I just have my reservations. I DO NOT want Mike Brown. Sloan, Vogel, or Adleman in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    It's good that the Pacers are getting this level of exposure....but Ford isn't saying anything that hasn't been said by other sources.
    Really bro?

Thats the first time I heard Addleman linked to the Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    I don't think you'll have a situation with both Adelman and Vogel on the same coaching staff.

Vogel has high stock right now. If the Pacers keep playing like this for however long they still have games to play, there's a very good chance Vogel will get an offer from another team if the Pacers would rather have someone else as the coach.

And if you were Vogel's agent, you'd tell him to look for a head coaching job one way or another. If the Pacers would rather have Adelman, then start looking for another team that will give you the headcoaching spot. You strike when the iron is hot, and right now Vogel is hot. You don't play nice boy and go back to obscurity as an assistant when you have a huge career opportunity like this.

Right now, if Vogel decides to slide down the bench to make room for Adelman without even looking for another head coaching job, my hats off to him. A sign of true loyalty to an organization. It would also be a sign of someone who doesn't know how to make career choices and has little respect for himself.
    I feel ya bro, I do and u make good points

I just dont know if Vogel is completely ready yet and were basing a lot of 20 plus games. I dont want Vogel gone but a coach with a track record like Addleman doesnt become available often

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    I say keep Vogel. The players obviously love him. Plus, he's done an excellent job coaching this series.
    Didnt they "love" Obie in the begining ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau87 View Post
    Sign me up... Adelman is one of the greatest offensive gurus in the history of the game and Vogel knows how to get our guys to play some amazing D (although we still can't box out for ****, which could be a personnel problem).
    Yeah I do not see Vogel take a step back in his career. The guy had a wining record as head coach and has the Pacers playing strong against the number one overall seed in the playoffs. Some other team will take a chance on him as their head coach.

I would love for Vogel to stay, but I only see that happening if we give him the HC position.

Do not get me wrong he could be that loyal, but I highly doubt it. I would not mind Adelman or Vogel, but I have my reservations about Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post
    I DO NOT want Mike Brown. Sloan, Vogel, or Adleman in that order.
    Why Bro?

Banned
    Mood

Why Bro?
    I just dont like Brown. I really dont have a legit reason why. I know sloan is not an option but he would be my top choice. Vogel and Adleman are a tie for second and I would be happy with either. Adleman is a proven HC though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want Frank the Tank here long-term. If he doesn't earn it with this playoff series, what would he have to do? Win the championship? He's been outcoaching the guy that is probably going to win Coach of the Year...

Mood

I like Vogel too. A few concerns would be:

1. He had an easy schedule
    2. Larry had say so over rotational minutes
    3. Honeymoon factor (See Lawrence Frank)
    4. To be fair he hasn't won a playoff game against a team whos never gotten out of the 1st round.

I know that sounds harsh, but I am in favor of keeping him. I just have my reservations. I DO NOT want Mike Brown. Sloan, Vogel, or Adleman in that order.
    I dont think Bird had control of the rotation. Bird wanted Lance playing over the older guys.

I've said it before... I love Rick Adelman, but I want Vogel to be the coach of this team. He's the right guy for the Pacers.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Only reason I don't like Mike Brown, and maybe this is a poor reason, is because he had LeBron James. Granted he is a good defensive mind, but come on. Is it really that hard (maybe it is?) to coach LeBron James. He'll cover up his teammates mistakes, and make you look good all by himself.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I dont think Bird had control of the rotation. Bird wanted Lance playing over the older guys.
    they said when vogel took over that bird would have a big say in minutes played. i like the rotation we have. my only concern is what will it be if vogel has total say so.

Mood

they said when vogel took over that bird would have a big say in minutes played. i like the rotation we have. my only concern is what will it be if vogel has total say so.
    Bird said in his presser Frank was picking who played and who wasn't

Yet.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didnt they "love" Obie in the begining ?
    Based on his parting words, Granger liked Jim throughout, not just the beginning. He may not have enjoyed him as a coach anymore, but he seemed to still be very friendly on a personal level after the firing. Like he felt bad for Jim when he was fired.

Sports Logo

Really bro?

Thats the first time I heard Addleman linked to the Pacers
    I took Ford's response as speculation on his part:

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Ford
    He's going to get a lot of looks. Lakers (if Phil's gone), Detroit, Indiana
    "going to" doesn't mean that he already has been considered by the Pacers FO...nor does it mean that he will be.

But point taken...I just didn't take too much away from the chat. It could be interpretted in different ways.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

wasn't Adelman available when we hired JOB? Did Bird give him a look back then? if not, he won't know either .

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    wasn't Adelman available when we hired JOB? Did Bird give him a look back then? if not, he won't know either .
    From looking at the news reports from both hirings, the Rockets hired Adelman in May and the Pacers hired JOB a month later. However, it does look like Adelman had not yet been hired when Carlisle and the Pacers decided to part ways.
    Last edited by d_c; 04-21-2011 at 07:15 PM.