Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

  1. #1

    Default AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    AfterThoughts about the Missed Trade at Deadline

    Personally, I am glad that no trades were made. I have enjoyed watching what this group of guys, who started together and are ending together, are doing right now. This group endured many rough times and still have found a way to show how special they are.*

    Bringing in a new player at the trade deadline could have changed the chemistry and we may have never known what got us to the playoffs (if we even would have made it).

    Knowing that there will be changes during the off-season, we should all enjoy this team for now and know that we are witnessing something special.

    Let's go Pacers....take these two games at home, even up the series and make some more noise!!

  2. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    I still wish it has gone through, I think it was a good trade for the pacers and having watched Mayo in the playoffs, yes I wish we had acquired him. In general though trades are about a lot more than just about 6 weeks of the regular season and 1 playoff appearance. A trade is about a longer term than that

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  4. #3

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    I understand what you are saying....I feel that way, too, kind of. However, this is just so special and I very sentimental! I am just glad that these guys on the team who have not had much to be excited about over the past few years (we can include all of us die hards too!) are experiencing this!

    I bet OJ Mayo is still on the radar and he may really want to come here now! There probably are several players who may want to come here after seeing that we are a good, young team and well coached!

  5. #4
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,431

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    I wished we had made the trade too. OJ Mayo might not have been a long term solution, but he'd certainly be a help in the playoffs.

    Also, he would have been a great trade chip next year if needed.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  6. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    Plus I think these playoffs have cemented in our minds that Tyler and George are keepers much more so than either Josh and Rush.

  7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,586

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    OJ has looked a little rough so far in the playoffs, but I really think his ability to create good shots could have put us over the top in one of the last two games.

    I am still hoping/expecting the deal to happen this offseason but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

  9. #7
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    Looking at how close we are to beating the #1 seed, and everyone saying that we need a clutch scorer who can get his own shot, I really wish the trade had gone through. And I hope Mayo is still on the radar for the front office.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  10. #8

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plus I think these playoffs have cemented in our minds that Tyler and George are keepers much more so than either Josh and Rush.
    I disagree. Have you seen Rush's defense on Rose? McRoberts has been nervous, but i think that his versality is invaluable.

    Having said that, we need a player that can create his own shot.

    PD. Sorry for my english, i am colombian. Pacerīs fan since Chris Mullin trade for Dampier.

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ensergio For This Useful Post:


  12. #9

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    The way McBob has not came to play in these playoffs (I guess he's came to play with his right hand) I wish the trade went through. I wouldn't be upset anymore if we didn't resign him after these performances in the playoffs.

    We better win tonight.
    Here we come lottery?

  13. #10

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    Mayo's numbers yesterday: http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=310420024

    I think PD would be crazy talking bad about Mayo if he were a Pacer.

  14. #11

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    Very happy it did not go through. Just because we need a guy who can create his own shot doesn't mean we should be clamoring over a guy who can get his own shot and miss it.

  15. #12

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    I have mixed feelings about the trade that didn't happen.

    On the one hand, I'm glad it feel through only because I like the active pieces we have. I like the Jmac plays above the rim. The Pacers hadn't had a high-flier in years. It's good to see someone on this team with the ability to throw down the "ally-oop!".

    I think Hans and PG are definite keepers! No way do you trade either of these guys.

    BRush, Solo, TJ Ford...I wouldn't lose sleep if the Pacers traded any of those three.

    Foster & Dunleavy...depends on who we get back. But I'm hopeful both will stay because they make worthwhile contributions to the team in ways most people forget about. Of course, it could be argued that if their performances are so forgetable perhaps it's worth trading them, but sometimes having decent role players who bring about the "intangibles" that don't necessarily show up on a stat sheet are the players you want to keep. Some things you just can't teach.

    But on the other hand, having a playmaker like Mayo would have been great!

    Overall, I'm okay with them not making a trade. I think if we can keep most of this team together - Granger, Hibbert, Collison, Hans, George, Dahntey (who needs to be more of a factor w/the 2nd Unit next year), Jmac, Price - bring in another Big and a shooter/playmaker AND retain Vogel because I think he was key to turning this thing around, then come next year the Pacers just might make it into the top 5 range of teams in the East.

  16. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    489

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    OJ Mayo is expandable because second round pick Sam Young is outplaying him and the signing of Tony Allen. Tony Allen signing may be the best free agent signing ever for Memphis.

    OJ Mayo is a prima donna athlete with a lot of skill and god given athletic ability but zero heart. He lost a lot of respect in that locker room when Tony Allen whipped him for not paying a debt.

  17. #14
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bega View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OJ Mayo is expandable because second round pick Sam Young is outplaying him and the signing of Tony Allen. Tony Allen signing may be the best free agent signing ever for Memphis.

    OJ Mayo is a prima donna athlete with a lot of skill and god given athletic ability but zero heart. He lost a lot of respect in that locker room when Tony Allen whipped him for not paying a debt.

    I have gotten different information following the series against the spurs.

    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ficult-season/

    Geoff Calkins: Mayo shows moxie in most difficult season




    • By Geoff Calkins
    • Memphis Commercial Appeal
    • Posted April 20, 2011 at midnight
    SAN ANTONIO -- O.J. Mayo is not going to apologize, OK? He's not going to apologize for that 3-pointer he hit at the end of the first quarter the other day.

    Yes, it's possible that the clock operator was a tad slow Sunday, that he didn't get the clock started soon enough, and that if he hadn't dithered for a full second Mayo's shot would have been too late.

    But if anyone in the game deserved a break, it's Mayo. He probably deserves a dozen more tonight.

    "It's unbelievable what he's been through," said Mike Conley.

    Maybe the "J" in O.J. stands for Job?

    So gather around your TV sets to watch the plucky Grizzlies try to win Game 2 against the San Antonio Spurs. The pluckiest may be Mayo, who would make a darn good country song.
    He's been benched, he's been punched, he's been suspended and he's been traded. His dad has been arrested and sent to jail.

    His dog died and his house flooded and, nah, I just made up those last two. But he got beat up by a teammate and had to read about it on Twitter. How much better is that?

    And he lost his starting job to a rookie. And that doesn't count any of the USC stuff.

    "If you had tried to imagine all the bad things that you could put in a season, I don't think you could have come up with the season that O.J. has had," said Marc Gasol.

    Even the press sessions can be excruciating. Like Wednesday, Mayo was asked to rank his recent humiliations. Or to at least identify which was the absolutely most painful and/or ignominious:

    Being told he had to try out for point guard during the summer league and then failing the tryout miserably?

    Getting cut from the U.S. National Team?

    Losing his job as a starter for the first time since he picked up a basketball?

    Getting beaten up by Tony Allen over a gambling debt?

    Being suspended by the league for 10 games for using a banned substance?

    Learning he'd been traded to Indiana?

    Then learning the trade had fallen through?

    That's just the basketball stuff, mind you. His father really was arrested and charged with attempted murder in December for allegedly driving into a police officer and dragging him several feet. Mayo is evidently not close with his father, but, c'mon, still.

    "I've been through some stuff in this organization as well, but I've never been through nearly what he's been through and I can only imagine what it's like," said Conley. "He would talk to me and say, 'Man, nothing can go right for me right now.' I'm really proud of how he's handled it."

    Mayo is often portrayed as a coddled star, mostly because he's been so well known for so long. But can you imagine how other athletes might have reacted to all of this?

    The guy shouldn't even be in San Antonio today. The Grizzlies tried their best to trade him to the Pacers for a draft pick and Josh McRoberts. If the same clock operator who had been working Sunday's game had been in charge of the clock at the NBA trade deadline, Mayo would be getting ready for a playoff game against the Bulls.

    "It's surprising because you think that your team has traded you -- and everything is good, no hard feelings -- but then you tell me that we missed the deadline by three minutes so we need you to come back to work tomorrow," Mayo said.

    At which point, Mayo would have been excused for throwing a tantrum. He took another approach.

    "You've got to look in the mirror, wash your face and go to work tomorrow," he said. "You never want to bring controversy in the locker room saying 'This stuff isn't right, they're doing me wrong,' So, you just want to go in and try to be the best man you can be."

    And, yes, it's true, Mayo's best wasn't as good as in years past. But do you really blame him? Wile E. Coyote had easier seasons than the one Mayo just endured. Murphy had more good luck.

    Indeed, even as Mayo joins his teammates in celebrating the team's first playoff victory, he has to know there's a good chance he'll be traded -- traded again? -- during the coming offseason. The other day, Randolph said he thought a core of Rudy Gay, Conley, Gasol and himself could compete for a championship. He may not have intended to leave Mayo off the list, but it was a telling omission, just the same.

    The Grizzlies can't afford to keep all their good young players. Mayo's the one they tried to deal before. It has to be hard, especially for a guy who was always supposed to be the star, to be the guy who's now considered expendable.

    Mayo has handled it with remarkable grace and good humor. The support of his teammates plainly helps. Conley and Gasol, in particular, have gone out of their way to bolster his spirits.
    "We need him, I need him, we need him as a team," said Gasol. "He's someone who hits big shots."

    Mayo certainly hit some in the Game 1 victory. After starting 1-7 from the field, he made 4 of his next 6, including two huge 3-pointers in the fourth.

    "Without those shots, it would have been tough for us," said Gasol. "It's going to be tougher and tougher because they're going to take away the paint."

    So Mayo will be out there again tonight, doing his best for the franchise. It's an impressive thing to watch, if sometimes bittersweet.

    "I'm really happy," he said. "We've worked hard for this. You get a feeling that we're a team on the rise."
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-21-2011 at 10:54 AM.

  18. #15
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "It's surprising because you think that your team has traded you -- and everything is good, no hard feelings -- but then you tell me that we missed the deadline by three minutes so we need you to come back to work tomorrow," Mayo said.

    At which point, Mayo would have been excused for throwing a tantrum. He took another approach.

    "You've got to look in the mirror, wash your face and go to work tomorrow," he said. "You never want to bring controversy in the locker room saying 'This stuff isn't right, they're doing me wrong,' So, you just want to go in and try to be the best man you can be."\
    This is what I want. I'm sold... if the price is right, let's get this guy.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  20. #16
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    Hopefully we can get it done with Memphis in the offseason.

    I feel like Mayo's talent can make us a .500+ team and compete in the playoffs and be able to close out games.

    With the minutes Tyler's getting now, I don't think it would be too much of an issue if Josh left. We'd have to bring in another backup.

    I feel like this deal is better for the offseason so we can bring in a backup.

  21. #17

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is what I want. I'm sold... if the price is right, let's get this guy.
    You should watch some interviews with Mayo. He's pretty well spoken and polite. Pretty surprising compared to how the media portrays him. I think the Pacers are going to get him in the off season since Memphis needs money to sign Gasol and I think he will take off with new scenery.

  22. #18
    pacer fan since 88-89 Mr_Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis/Noblesville
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,631

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    Still would have been nice to have OJ Mayo. We need a guy that can create his own shot which was absent in the last 2 games vs. Chicago
    Fire up that tank and drive it to the lottery then to the draft

  23. #19
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,322

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: AfterThoughts About The Missed Trade at Deadline

    Man, you're really really exaggerating.
    Things haven't changed that much, and the Mayo trade could have solved our "closer" problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Similar Threads

  1. Off-Season/'11 Trade Deadline Deal (IND/NO)
    By CooperManning in forum Trade Proposals
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 11:46 PM
  2. The official Trade Foster by deadline thread.
    By theboyjwo in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 02:07 PM
  3. Foxsports.com Pacers Draft Report Card: D
    By duke dynamite in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 02:05 PM
  4. Pete Prisco's All-Pro team
    By McClintic Sphere in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-16-2007, 12:19 PM
  5. ESPN Insider 8/3/04
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 11:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •