Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People are talking Pacer Basketball again

Default People are talking Pacer Basketball again

I thought I'd share a brief story.

Early Tuesday I'm at Methodist Hospital here in Indianapolis. On my way from the parking garage to the lab I pass an information desk, three guys are talking about game 2.

After I finish up in the lab I head over to the cafe for some breakfast. While eating, two or three guys walk past my table talking about game 2.

Later that day I'm at work & the Fed Ex guy comes in for his pick up & we spend about 10 minutes talking about the game as well.

I usually don't hear a lot of people talking about Pacer games. Some about the players & a little about the NBA in general. It's nice to hear a little buzz about an actual game.

This town really wants the Pacers to do well again. Any sign of advancing & I really think this town is gonna jump on board.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: People are talking Pacer Basketball again

Was walking out of Frys's and the check out guy sees my Pacer hat and starts asking me if I was watching the games. I assured him I was and how disappointed I was that Collison was hurt. He was watching the games also.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

This happened to me the other day after we'd lost game 1. I had on a Pacers shirt and the guy working at the gas station wanted to talk about them.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I was down at the park playing basketball with a few of my friends and everyone else playing on the nearby courts was talking about the Pacers while they were shooting around. It was a really surreal experience after feeling like the only one who paid any attention to going to be surrounded by people talking about them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

The Pacers even got a mention on "The Middle" tonight......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After wearing my Pacers gear all year long, I have turned a lot of guys on my floor into Pacers fans.

We don't get any channels at IU, so I had to watch most of the games on my laptop. Since game 2 was on TNT, everyone was in my dorm room rooting for the Pacers.

I thought we were going to get a noise violation when T.J. hit that shot at the buzzer.

Its beginning again........
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

We'll know they're really back when the car flags start flying again.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

One of my roommates has been watching the games with me when he didn't have anything else going on this year. I'll be going to game 3 and possibly game 4 as well so I told him I won't be there to watch it with him.

I was surprised when he said he was going to watch the games alone anyway. Might not be much, but there is no way in hell he was watching a game by himself during the regular season. Not to mention the fact that he is not much of a sports fan to begin with.

I'm so ready for tomorrow night. GO PACERS!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonHunter1105 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I got my g/f into the Pacers the season after about the Lakers game I believe. I've taken her to 7 Home games this year because she had never been to a game. She started liking them more and more throughout the season which soon led to her buying a Pacer's purse, warm-up pants, a hoodie, and a Hansbrough jersey.

I got off early the night of Game 2 around 10:45 pm and headed home. Our cable is out right now because we ordered xfinity or what not and they haven't installed the thing yet, so the situation with the telly is rough. I came home early her car was in the driveway turned on, lol. I walked up the window and scared the **** out of her. She rolled the window down and I heard the game on the radio. I loved her even more after that. I guess I can take credit for crafting another pacers fan.
    Last edited by Constellations; 04-21-2011 at 12:18 AM.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Constellations For This Useful Post:

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Saw a guy with an old Pacers sweatshirt just tonight while getting dinner. Never see that. It's alive.

I like to look at this as not bandwagon fans coming back, but Pacers fans becoming Pacers fans again. (I know it's a positive spin, but it's the only way.)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Pacero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by El Pacero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saw a guy with an old Pacers sweatshirt just tonight while getting dinner. Never see that. It's alive.

I like to look at this as not bandwagon fans coming back, but Pacers fans becoming Pacers fans again. (I know it's a positive spin, but it's the only way.)
    I lost interest in the team after the brawl and didn't come back til this year. Now I don't think I missed one game this year that was televised I really like our roster.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pacero View Post
    I'd like to think of it as people that are to busy or don't have the time to support a consistent loser. They don't jump to another team, heck, they probably don't even watch NBA basketball unless their team is showing some positive signs.

While a bandwagon fan is the yearly convert bulls/lakers/heat/celtics fan that has a jersey for whoever wins.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

A handful of people in one of my morning classes were talking about the team. I've been here since spring of 2008 and it's the only time I can recall hearing a Pacers conversation.

I'm glad the casuals are coming back, and I know it's definitely great for the team if they stick around, but the selfish part of me hates the idea that I might never sit in the front row for $75 again...

The Indiana pride in basketball is back!

I've been hearing a lot of buzz myself.

From bars, to work and just seeing way more people wearing Pacers gear. Seems like the same as to those wearing the horseshoe crap.

I've seen a lot of jerseys and not ones JO, Artest, Reggie pinstripes but Granger, Hibbert, Collison, Hansbrough, and even some George. These young guys are not going unnoticed nor is anyone picturing the Indiana Pacers as "those thugs".

I've heard a lot more people referring to the Pacers not as "them", but as "we".

If we give our 18,165 home crowd tomorrow night (well tonight) and Saturday and hopefully another game back at the Fieldhouse, I think that will say so much about this team and the fans seeing them in person will really make everyone want to pack the house next season.

I'm no longer worried about having to feel like I'm the only one happy for the Pacers winning next season at the games and my girlfriend and I having to sit in a sea of green. 16,000+ per game!

No longer will I have to mention my disappointment in our attendance.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    The Indiana pride in basketball is back!

No longer will I have to mention my disappointment in our attendance.
    I wouldn't quite say its over yet. The Pacers have to play better ball next season for sure. Charlotte's popularity reached an all time high last year in the playoffs and the interest once again dwindled to almost nothing in recent times.

And we have to hope there isn't a lockout. That will kill any momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    The Pacers even got a mention on "The Middle" tonight......
    I love that show.

About freakin' time they mentioned the Pacers and not just the Colts.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    I wouldn't quite say its over yet. The Pacers have to play better ball next season for sure. Charlotte's popularity reached an all time high last year in the playoffs and the interest once again dwindled to almost nothing in recent times.

And we have to hope there isn't a lockout. That will kill any momentum.
    The Bobcats really rose in the attendance standings I've noticed to the mid 15,000s.

I think the Pacers might go a bit higher than that.

A lockout might have some impact on people wanting to buy ticket packs.

Between the NFL and the NBA, those in Indy will have nothing to do if they both reach the start of the season.

Agreed.

A few days ago leaving work I put on a more relaxing change of clothes that included a Pacer sweatshirt. On my way out of the building in the elevator I had a lady say "Go Pacers" after seeing my shirt, and while walking to my car in the parking garage I had a guy say "It's a shame they didn't win, I'm really starting to get behind this team".

Normally my Pacers gear draws little to no attention.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

My oldest son is not an NBA fan at all. However, today he told me he watched the Pacers playing Game 2 in Chicago and was really impressed with them. He said he hopes that Collison can go Thursday because he thought the Pacers could get one of these upcoming home games. He said he could see why I like the Pacers. I was surprised to say the least.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cherokee For This Useful Post:

All these stories are fantastic by the way. This should equate to a higher attendance number next year which is exactly what the Pacers organization needs.
    GO PACERS!!!

Twitter: @Circlecity3318

I am so encouraged by hearing all this.

Obviously, living out here in La La Land, no one gives a rats behind about our beloved Pacers because it's 'ALL BOUT DA BLACK MAMBA BABY!1!!1!!!'

I am so thrilled to hear that the local fans are starting to come out of their long hibernation
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Hoosiers cannot resist basketball when it is good basketball.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

I hear everyone talking about Pacers too.. So exciting! And no matter what has happened over the last 5 years, anytime someone talks about the Pacers it has always been the same regardless-"I stopped watching because Reggie retired, or I stopped watching because I was tired of watching thugs"

Now the only thing I hear is, "I love watching Paul George" or "Tyler Hansbrough is awesome" etc... People are falling in love with the team all over!

I want to know what the local TV ratings are for the first two games. Antecdotes are good, but the TV ratings will tell me a lot more about interest.

National interest in the pacers vs Bulls is really high, about as high as Celts vs Knicks.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2011...-up-27-on.html

NBA Playoffs: TNT's Ratings Up 27% on Through Tuesday

Boosted by the Pacers/Bulls and Knicks/Celtics series, the 2011 NBA Playoffs continue to attract strong numbers on TNT.

TNT is averaging a 2.8 U.S. rating and 4.376 million viewers for coverage of the 2011 NBA Playoffs through Tuesday, up 27% in ratings and 29% in viewership from the comparable point last year (2.2, 3.383M).

On Tuesday, Game 2 between the Knicks and Celtics drew a 3.0 U.S. rating and 4.730 million viewers, up 58% in ratings and 65% in viewership from last year (MIA/BOS G2: 1.9, 2.874M), and up 25% and 28%, respectively, from 2009 (DET/CLE G2: 2.4, 3.699M).

The first two games of the Knicks/Celtics series have each drawn at least 3% of U.S. TV homes. To put that in perspective, only two first round games on cable hit that mark last year -- Games 5 and 6 of the Thunder/Lakers series.

Later Tuesday night, Trail Blazers/Mavericks Game 2 drew a 2.5 and 3.846 million viewers, flat in ratings and up 3% in viewership from last year (OKC/LAL G2: 2.5, 3.741M), and up 4% and 7%, respectively, from 2009 (UTA/LAL G2: 2.4, 3.607M).

Monday night, the Bulls' Game 2 win over the Pacers drew a 3.1 and 4.908 million viewers, up 48% in ratings and 56% in viewership from last year (UTA/DEN G2: 2.1, 3.149M), and up 48% and 65%, respectively, from 2009 (DAL/SA G2: 2.1, 2.983M).

Pacers/Bulls Game 2 stands as the second-most viewed game of the playoffs on cable through Tuesday night.

In Monday's early game, Miami's Game 2 blowout of the 76ers drew a 2.1 and 3.402 million viewers, down 19% in ratings and 13% in viewership from last year (CHI/CLE G2: 2.6, 3.907M), and down 19% and 10%, respectively, from 2009 (CHI/BOS G2: 2.6, 3.760M).

Though the Heat have been the driving force behind the NBA's increased ratings this season, Monday's numbers indicate that the 76ers/Heat series may not be as enthralling to viewers as Pacers/Bulls. Of course, Monday's disparity can be at least partly attributed to the later timeslot for the Pacers/Bulls game.

Thursday night, Heat/76ers Game 3 will air on TNT, while Bulls/Pacers Game 3 airs on NBA TV.

(Numbers from Turner Sports; additional information from
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-21-2011 at 08:24 AM.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post: