Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter King's NFL Mock Draft

Default Peter King's NFL Mock Draft

Okay, so in my Sports Illustrated that I received today, Peter King has his predictions for the 2011 NFL Draft. This may be on Sports Illustrated's website, but I'll go ahead and type it out for you

Picks 1-16:

1. Carolina Panthers

Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

2. Denver Broncos

Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

3. Buffalo Bills

Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M

4. Cincinnati Bengals

Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

5. Arizona Cardinals

A.J Green, WR, Georgia

6. Cleveland Browns

Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

7. Houston Texans (Trade via San Francisco)

Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

8. Tennessee Titans

Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

9. Dallas Cowboys

Tyron Smith, OT, USC

10. Washington Redskins

Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina

11. San Francisco 49ers (Trade via Houston)

Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

12. Minnesota Vikings

Jake Locker, QB, Washington

13. Detroit Lions

Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

14. St. Louis Rams

Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

15. Miami Dolphins

Andy Dalton, QB, TCU

16. Jacksonville Jaguars

Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

Picks 17-32 next
    Last edited by Psyren; 04-20-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Default Re: Peter King's NFL Mock Draft

Picks 17-32:

17. New England Patriots

Mike Pouncey, G-C, Florida

18. San Diego Chargers

Cameron Jordan, DE, California

19. New York Giants

Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri

21. Kansas City Chiefs

Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

22. Indianapolis Colts

Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

23. Philadelphia Eagles

Danny Watkins, G, Baylor

24. New Orleans Saints

Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

25. Seattle Seahawks

Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina

26. Baltimore Ravens

Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

27. Atlanta Falcons

J.J Watt, DE, Wisconsin

28. Tennessee Titans (Trade via New England)

Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State

29. Chicago Bears

Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

30. New York Jets

Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, Temple

31. Pittsburgh Steelers

Brandon Harris, CB, Miami

32. Green Bay Packers

Cam Heyward, DE, Ohio State

Peter King made some trades that haven't happened yet/may not happen, but based on that draft what are your guys' thoughts? What picks do you like/not like? I'm just curious now that we're basically a week from draft day what you guys are thinking.

I'm pretty sure I saw McShay had us picking Solder on SportsCenter yesterday. I didn't pay any attention to college football this year, and hence have paid no attention to the draft either. A good OT would be nice, but has Polian ever picked somebody that was mocked for us, besides Peyton of course?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Solder at 6'9 and Charles Johnson at 6'7 would be one big left side.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty sure I saw McShay had us picking Solder on SportsCenter yesterday. I didn't pay any attention to college football this year, and hence have paid no attention to the draft either. A good OT would be nice, but has Polian ever picked somebody that was mocked for us, besides Peyton of course?
    Walterfootball had us taking Bob Sanders in 2004 in the first round. Of course we traded down to get him. I have seen sites guess right before but its rare. Whats not rare is the position that is mock drafted for us is the actual position that we draft. (RB Maroney mocked we took Addai, Alex Brown mocked drafted we took Freeney, the year we took Edgerrin James many people had us taking Ricky Willams.)

Those are just a few examples but I wouldn't be shocked if we took a OT because Charlie Johnson is a FA this year.

I would much rather have Carimi than Solder though.

Personally, I would hate it if we draft Solder.

The guy is absolutely not ready to play in the NFL this season. We need a line upgrade this year, not in 2 years when he might actually be ready to play.

In the NFL, he'll get bull rushed and shoved backwards every play, which is what most teams did to him in college. He really on excelled against people who tried to run around him, which he was only good at because of his size.

Granted, he can be a good player someday. But he needs a lot of work and needs to be coached up. We need to try and trade up for Castonzo or Carimi if we want to LT. Otherwise I think the Colts should try for Corey Liuget.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Personally, I would hate it if we draft Solder.

The guy is absolutely not ready to play in the NFL this season. We need a line upgrade this year, not in 2 years when he might actually be ready to play.

In the NFL, he'll get bull rushed and shoved backwards every play, which is what most teams did to him in college. He really on excelled against people who tried to run around him, which he was only good at because of his size.

Granted, he can be a good player someday. But he needs a lot of work and needs to be coached up. We need to try and trade up for Castonzo or Carimi if we want to LT. Otherwise I think the Colts should try for Corey Liuget.
    I definitely feel the same concerning the OT. Castonzo or Carimi or address other concerns. I'm not really high on Luiget as some people, but I haven't seen a whole lot of him. I thought we needed a 1-tech, and isn't he a 3-tech DT?

I don't think trading down is an option is it since the lockout is still going on? That would be the best option if an OT is not available.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I definitely feel the same concerning the OT. Castonzo or Carimi or address other concerns. I'm not really high on Luiget as some people, but I haven't seen a whole lot of him. I thought we needed a 1-tech, and isn't he a 3-tech DT?

I don't think trading down is an option is it since the lockout is still going on? That would be the best option if an OT is not available.
    We can trade down, but only if it involves picks. Players can't be involved.

And I'd love to have Carimi or Castonzo.

As far as Liuget goes, he is a 3 tech DT but he's really good at eating blocks as well for a 3 tech. Granted, if we were to want a 1 tech I'd probably have to look at Phil Taylor from Baylor who's 6'3 340. Problem with him is that he has foot injuries, so that's a concern there. I'd personally take a shot on Liuget if Carimi and Castonzo are both gone because Liuget actually eats blocks better than some think, and he's a really good run stopper.

If we still prefer OT if Carimi and Castonzo are gone, I'd rather go with Sherrod who is still the most solid of all the LT's. Probably the lowest upside in terms of being a superstar, but he's been by far the most consistent of any of the 5 OT's considered in the first round.
    Last edited by Psyren; 04-25-2011 at 05:40 PM.

The Colts could use some help in a lot of places. I just hope whoever they draft is ready to play right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    The Colts could use some help in a lot of places. I just hope whoever they draft is ready to play right away.
    Agreed.

I'd hate if we draft Solder because it'd basically be a first round pick that won't show up for 2 or 3 years.

We'd be better of with Sherrod at LT because he's as sold a LT as they get, and he could come in right away this season and do a great job, as well as let Charlie Johnson move back to G which he is actually good at.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I will cry if this is how the draft goes.

Fairley to Tennessee and Kerrigan to New England, and Solder to us.

I will weep uncontrollably for hours.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I will cry if this is how the draft goes.

Fairley to Tennessee and Kerrigan to New England, and Solder to us.

I will weep uncontrollably for hours.
    I agree.

2 good players to division rivals while we'd be stuck with a kid who's not even NFL ready, and isn't a natural left tackle (See Charlie Johnson...)

UGH, Polian better get us Castonzo, Carimi, or Sherrod, or at least get us a DT like Phil Taylor, Jurrell Casey, or Corey Liuget.

Basically, anybody but Solder.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Rob Morris...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Banned

I would love to trade back, to a team needing and acquire two more picks. Jerry Hughes was a terrible pick last year. If we draft with our first round pick I would love to get Mark Ingram. I just hope the Colts are smart enough to resign Melvin "Silver" Bullett immediately.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1st I would say look at the internet for the most up-to-date mocks.

2nd I thing LT and DT are the positions that everyone feels the Colts will take, with that being said they never take what everyone feels they should take.

I actually could see them taking Mark Ingram and letting Addai go, and using Rhodes or Brown for 3rd down plays.

Finally figure out what the key to being a good running back in the league is, some analysis said it and out of all the other things I have heard this one made the most sense.

BEING ABLE TO MAKE A GUY MISS IN A SMALL SPACE.

If you look at all the great backs they have it, Payton, Saunders, Emmitt... that is something I think our backs lack, Rhodes has a little of it.

Of course there are those bruising backs that did good as well but for most of the smaller backs that was the key to their success and Ingram def has that...

But from what I am hearing all of those smoke screens were false and he will probably go fairly high, top 15.

I don't think Jerry Hughes is a bust just yet from last year. But I could also see us grabbing a DE, or moving back and drafting a Safety, Aaron Williams or Guy from UCLA. I wonder if Jimmy Smith could play S as well.

So excited for Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I actually could see them taking Mark Ingram and letting Addai go, and using Rhodes or Brown for 3rd down plays.

Finally figure out what the key to being a good running back in the league is, some analysis said it and out of all the other things I have heard this one made the most sense.

BEING ABLE TO MAKE A GUY MISS IN A SMALL SPACE.

If you look at all the great backs they have it, Payton, Saunders, Emmitt... that is something I think our backs lack, Rhodes has a little of it.

Of course there are those bruising backs that did good as well but for most of the smaller backs that was the key to their success and Ingram def has that...

But from what I am hearing all of those smoke screens were false and he will probably go fairly high, top 15.

I don't think Jerry Hughes is a bust just yet from last year. But I could also see us grabbing a DE, or moving back and drafting a Safety, Aaron Williams or Guy from UCLA. I wonder if Jimmy Smith could play S as well.

So excited for Thursday.
    What makes a good running back in this league is having a good line that opens up a hole for you. This has always been the problem with the colts since Edge left.

The Colts won't draft Ingram because of his pass protection plan and simple. He might be a good back but I highly doubt he is a Colt on Thursday.

Trading back to get Derrick Sherrod seems like a good idea if the Colts are dead set on a OT in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    What makes a good running back in this league is having a good line that opens up a hole for you. This has always been the problem with the colts since Edge left.

The Colts won't draft Ingram because of his pass protection plan and simple. He might be a good back but I highly doubt he is a Colt on Thursday.

Trading back to get Derrick Sherrod seems like a good idea if the Colts are dead set on a OT in the first round.
    Agreed.

Addai really is not a bad running back. He just has one of the worst O-Lines in football. Ingram is a really good player, but we need an O-Line more than a running back.

Agreed.

Addai really is not a bad running back. He just has one of the worst O-Lines in football. Ingram is a really good player, but we need an O-Line more than a running back.
    I don't think this year is the best for OT's in general which is why I think Polain takes a OT in the first round. Solder is a tempting pick but my biggest concern is his ability to put on the weight and keep it on. He lost like 10-12 pounds from the combine to his proday. I won't be mad if we take either Solder or Derek Sherrod. Both should be there and I really hope we take Carimi if KC doesn't.

I also hope that McClendon makes that second year jump and starts at one of the guard spots for the Colts. That should help us in our running game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I don't think this year is the best for OT's in general which is why I think Polain takes a OT in the first round. Solder is a tempting pick but my biggest concern is his ability to put on the weight and keep it on. He lost like 10-12 pounds from the combine to his proday. I won't be mad if we take either Solder or Derek Sherrod. Both should be there and I really hope we take Carimi if KC doesn't.

I also hope that McClendon makes that second year jump and starts at one of the guard spots for the Colts. That should help us in our running game as well.
    I agree with most of that, except it not being deep for OT's

There's 5 first round OT talents in this draft, plus Ben Ijalana is a really good player from 'Nova. That sounds pretty deep to me

In terms of the later rounds, most of those OT's don't turn out to be anything anyways.

I don't know that I'd be mad if we take Solder, but certainly disappointed. No way that kid is able to step in this year.

Mood

I don't think Addai is a good back as far as running in traffic which is what the Colts offensive line gives us, he can't make many people miss, and he goes down on the first hit.

He sometimes can run through open holes which is why he is best used in draws and some stretch plays. He also excels in pass blocking and catching the ball which is his best assets.

I too doubt that we will take a RB in the first round, but I doubted that 2 yrs ago as well. But I do think that Ingram has what it takes to get tough yards especially at the goal-line but yes what we need is a good O-line, but we have needed that for years and the pick has never been made. Not sure that this year will be any different.

Also from what I have heard Gabe is a RT, or guard at best not LT, although we can use a bunch or help all over the O-line I would rather take my chance on Solder, much greater upside than any lineman available to be drafted at that position.

P.S. every good running back in this league doesn't have a good line by the way, but having one does help.

I don't think Addai is a good back as far as running in traffic which is what the Colts offensive line gives us, he can't make many people miss, and he goes down on the first hit.

He sometimes can run through open holes which is why he is best used in draws and some stretch plays. He also excels in pass blocking and catching the ball which is his best assets.

I too doubt that we will take a RB in the first round, but I doubted that 2 yrs ago as well. But I do think that Ingram has what it takes to get tough yards especially at the goal-line but yes what we need is a good O-line, but we have needed that for years and the pick has never been made. Not sure that this year will be any different.

Also from what I have heard Gabe is a RT, or guard at best not LT, although we can use a bunch or help all over the O-line I would rather take my chance on Solder, much greater upside than any lineman available to be drafted at that position.

P.S. every good running back in this league doesn't have a good line by the way, but having one does help.
    I agree Carimi seems more of a RT to me. But I do think he could play LT just fine, the kid is as tough as nails.

But would you rather have Solder or Sherrod? Just curious

Mood

Dalton at 15: wtf

Mood

Gabe Carimi is gonna be a beast

26. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

I agree Carimi seems more of a RT to me. But I do think he could play LT just fine, the kid is as tough as nails.

But would you rather have Solder or Sherrod? Just curious
    Tough question, I don't think Peyton has a bunch of years left and I think that Derek would be the better instant impact guy, but I think Nate has a brighter future.

I don't think we could go wrong with either, but not sure who I would take given the situation we have, with a younger QB I would def take Solder... I am so excited for Thursday though.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Addai is certainly not a powerback which is what I think you are describing. He does however gets guys to miss and breaks arm tackles a lot. He just can't lower the boom on someone and drive them back. Injuries IMo are creeping up on Addai but I would much rather have him than a power back who is slow. Essentially we that with Javarris James anyway and power backs are a lot easier to get in the latter rounds. I wouldn't be mad if we traded up in the second round to get Leshoure though. He would be a big upgrade from Brown.