Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: According to TerezOwens, Steve Nash is demanding a trade behind closed doors

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: According to TerezOwens, Steve Nash is demanding a trade behind closed doors

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? Who's qualified to determine when a player is allowed to leave a team or when his career has run it's course?

Nash has been on the Suns for 7 years, just as long as Melo and LeBron were on their respective teams.
    Wow, your second statement is really not fair at all. Steve Nash is 36 years old, 10 years older than both Lebron or Carmelo. That's the only number that really matters. It has little to to do with how long any player has been with their respective team.

The Suns also won something like 15 less games last year than they did a few years ago. Their decline in wins has fluctuated a bit, but looking at the statistics, you can't argue that they haven't declined. They also have $81 million tied up into three mediocre players for the next several years.

I don't claim to be an authority on these things but that's my perspective. I don't really care either way about Lebron leaving (I just hate the way he did it) and Carmelo is barely a superstar that merits this sort of consideration, but again this is all my opinion and I think Nash is fine to seek greener pastures. I just think your suggestion that there are no evident metrics is not correct.

Default Re: According to TerezOwens, Steve Nash is demanding a trade behind closed doors

Why? Who's qualified to determine when a player is allowed to leave a team or when his career has run it's course?

Nash has been on the Suns for 7 years, just as long as Melo and LeBron were on their respective teams.
    While I don't share the same sentiments as those who argue about LeBron leaving the Cavs (he's a FA back then that never demanded to be traded and has free will), Nash and LeBron/Melo situations are practically very different. Maybe you can compare Nash situation with the KG situation. Here are things you need to consider:

- Nash is what, 37 years old? He's nearing retirement. LeBron and Melo are 10 years younger I believe, so they have too much left in their tank.

- The Cavs before LeBron left are title contenders. Same is true with the Nuggets before the Melo trade. The Suns are not even in the playoffs this year. If Nash would leave, will the Suns lose a playoff seeding next year? Or will they lose contention to the title next year? Nope, because they are currently out of contention with their current lineup, even with Nash. While the Melo trade didn't affect the Nuggets much this year, the departure of LeBron quickly turned the #1 team of last season to #30 this season.

- Nash is now a complementary piece and not a main man (although a very good complementary piece). He cannot carry the Suns anymore. If they want to retain Nash, the Suns should first start to get a main man through trades to support Nash (although this is almost impossible because their only good asset is Nash, so at any rate they'll have to lose him to get a better return).

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    - The Cavs before LeBron left are title contenders. Same is true with the Nuggets before the Melo trade. The Suns are not even in the playoffs this year.
    They're not in the playoffs because Nash isn't as good as Melo or LeBron. The Nuggets weren't contenders even with Melo and the only reason the Cavs were contenders was because LeBron singlehandedly made them one.

More than anything I'm curious about this attitude a lot of sports fans have where they think they're qualified to determine what is right or wrong in an athlete's contract negotiations and career. How can you honestly tell another man he's not allowed to further his career however he wants?

We are not trading Collison especially for some old hag.

Bird worked hard to get Collison and now he definitely hasn't disappointed the past month and in the playoffs.

We need him to be part of this team so no he's pretty much off limits. As are Hansbrough, George, Hibbert, and possibly Granger.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's actually been with the Suns for a combine 9 years.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

They're not in the playoffs because Nash isn't as good as Melo or LeBron. The Nuggets weren't contenders even with Melo and the only reason the Cavs were contenders was because LeBron singlehandedly made them one.

More than anything I'm curious about this attitude a lot of sports fans have where they think they're qualified to determine what is right or wrong in an athlete's contract negotiations and career. How can you honestly tell another man he's not allowed to further his career however he wants?
    I remember at one point Nash carried the team deep into the playoffs without too much help from Amare due to injury. At some point he was carrying a LeBron type of load that really made the Suns a team to beat in the West.

For the Melo part, I think he's still a major reason for them to be contenders as he was carrying their offense for the most part, although one of the major reasons was the addition of Billups.

We really can't blame some fans because they invest some emotions to players and teams. LeBron was the main reason the Cleveland sports resurrected and the Cleveland fans came back to watch that team. But ultimately, he was a FA and the situation just worsened because of how he handled it with the media. What I don't like is the Melo situation because he was still under contract, plus he's causing distraction to his own team with how he handled the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Could he win a championship there? I think that if he wants to win one he is gonna have to go to the Lakers, maybe Bynum for Nash?
    That would be stupid for the Lakers. Trading big for small is a no-no in general, ESPECIALLY when the big is a skilled and dominant 23 year old and the small is 37. The Lakers have to look to the future themselves when Kobe, Pau, Odom, and Artest are on the decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    I think if there's any justice in this world Nash will end up in Dallas so he & Dirk can make one final run together.

The Mavs have the pieces & the owner to get a deal done.
    If he ends up in Dallas, he'll also have a reunion with fellow PG Jason Kidd.

Two of the best PGs in their generation, joining forces to get that elusive championship in their final years of their careers would be sweet.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The biggest difference to me is that it is pretty clear that the Suns are in rebuilding mode, or are about to enter it shortly. They have completely broken up the team that went deep in the playoffs and now are out of the playoffs. Cleveland and Denver were teams still trying to win it all. Phoenix is not. They have been shedding salary for years.

With that said I really didn't care about Melo or LeBron leaving their teams. Especially LeBron who left via free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    I remember at one point Nash carried the team deep into the playoffs without too much help from Amare due to injury. At some point he was carrying a LeBron type of load that really made the Suns a team to beat in the West.
    Nash has been a very good player but no team he's been on has been a serious title contender. I'd put more blame on D'Antoni for that but Nash was never and true elite player (my opinion of course).

What I don't like is the Melo situation because he was still under contract, plus he's causing distraction to his own team with how he handled the situation.
    I've said from the beginning that the way Melo handled it would help the Nuggets. In the end they made out way better than the Cavs and Raptors did when they lost their marquee players.

Nash has been a very good player but no team he's been on has been a serious title contender. I'd put more blame on D'Antoni for that but Nash was never and true elite player (my opinion of course).

I've said from the beginning that the way Melo handled it would help the Nuggets. In the end they made out way better than the Cavs and Raptors did when they lost their marquee players.
    The man won two MVP awards and was the best PG in the game. If thats not elite then I don't know what is. And they went to the WCF two years straight, if thats not a title contender than the Pacers never were in the Jordan era either...

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    The man won two MVP awards and was the best PG in the game. If thats not elite then I don't know what is. And they went to the WCF two years straight, if thats not a title contender than the Pacers never were in the Jordan era either...
    Not to rehash old arguments but those two MVP awards might be the least deserved of all time. Nash was a very talented passer and shooter. He doesn't deserve two MVPs while playing in the same era as dominant all-time greats like Shaq, Kobe Bryant and Time Duncan. He won those MVPs for reasons that I don't think had anything to do with basketball.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Look at the suns record immediately proceeding getting nash and immediately after getting nash...

M(ost) V(aluable) P(layer)

He drastically drastically turned that team around and took them from first round fodder to elite in one offseason.

He didn't win those awards because he's white...

Even if he didn't deserve to win, he deserved to be in discussion and get votes and was the best PG for a couple of seasons. He most definitely was an elite players

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not to rehash old arguments but those two MVP awards might be the least deserved of all time. Nash was a very talented passer and shooter. He doesn't deserve two MVPs while playing in the same era as dominant all-time greats like Shaq, Kobe Bryant and Time Duncan. He won those MVPs for reasons that I don't think had anything to do with basketball.
    So you're saying Nash wasn't a dominate player himself? You sounding very cartoonish. I personally believe he deserved those MVP's, as he does a ring as well. And for you to say he wasn't on a title contending team is just, no comment. I honestly believe that last season, had they gotten past the Lakers, they could have very well won a championship..
    Last edited by Constellations; 04-21-2011 at 03:23 AM.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Look at the suns record immediately proceeding getting nash and immediately after getting nash...

M(ost) V(aluable) P(layer)
    I never said Nash isn't really good, he's just never been a top five elite player in the league. Nash was a great fit for that team and they played a style of basketball very conducive to winning a lot of regular season games. I put a lot less stock into regular season wins than most writers and fans do though.

He drastically drastically turned that team around and took them from first round fodder to elite in one offseason.

He didn't win those awards because he's white...
    I don't think he won it solely because he's white, but I don't doubt that's part of it. He also won because he's fun to watch and because he's short and he's a cool guy and because sports writers care more about interesting stories than good basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert55 View Post
    So you're saying Nash wasn't a dominate player himself? You sounding very cartoonish. I personally believe he deserved, as he does a ring. And for you to say he wasn't on a title contending team is just, no comment. I honestly believe that last season, had they gotten past the Lakers, they could have very well won a championship..
    He deserves a ring? For what?

And had they gotten past the Lakers they would have won the title. Sure. Had I chosen the right numbers last week I'd have won the lottery. Well, I didn't and they didn't. You could play coulda-shoulda all day but what happened, happened.

Edit: And no I don't think he's dominant. He's a very gifted offensive player who's defensive inadequacies were a large part of why they lost in the playoffs so many years in a row without reaching the finals.
    Last edited by King Tuts Tomb; 04-21-2011 at 03:28 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He deserves a ring? For what?

And had they gotten past the Lakers they would have won the title. Sure. Had I chosen the right numbers last week I'd have won the lottery. Well, I didn't and they didn't. You could play coulda-shoulda all day but what happened, happened.

Edit: And no I don't think he's dominant. He's a very gifted offensive player who's defensive inadequacies were a large part of why they lost in the playoffs so many years in a row without reaching the finals.
    You don't believe he deserves a ring? What is wrong with you? Lol
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

You don't believe he deserves a ring? What is wrong with you? Lol
    I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Why does he deserve a ring? He hasn't played on a championship team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Why does he deserve a ring? He hasn't played on a championship team.
    /facepalm

I'm done.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

/facepalm

I'm done.
    You never started. If Nash plays on a championship team he'll win a ring. I'm not sure why he deserves a ring more than any other player in the league though.

Suns are a 40 win team, we are 37. We had two close losses in the playoffs, but we aren't exactly the contender that Nash wants and deserves.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Nash plays on a championship team he'll win a ring.
    So the Lakers in 2008 weren't a championship caliber team? They didn't get a ring that season. He played on a championship caliber team in 08-09 and 09-10. He didn't get a ring. Your statement holds not water.
    Last edited by Constellations; 04-21-2011 at 05:19 AM.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    The biggest difference to me is that it is pretty clear that the Suns are in rebuilding mode, or are about to enter it shortly. They have completely broken up the team that went deep in the playoffs and now are out of the playoffs. Cleveland and Denver were teams still trying to win it all. Phoenix is not. They have been shedding salary for years.

With that said I really didn't care about Melo or LeBron leaving their teams. Especially LeBron who left via free agency.
    Indeed. Replace Sarver and Dan Gilbert (or Kroenke family), and it's a different story. Nash stays and contends under a good owner, and Lebron/Melo can run away from Sarver, and noone would blame them.

So the Lakers in 2008 weren't a championship caliber team? They didn't get a ring that season. He played on a championship caliber team in 08-09 and 09-10. He didn't get a ring. Your statement holds not water.
    What does this have to do with the discussion? They don't give rings to championship caliber teams, they give them to championship winning teams.

I'm just confused more than anything why you think Steve Nash deserves a ring. Because he's fun to watch and you like him?