Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miller/ Indiana in a front office job one day?

Default Miller/ Indiana in a front office job one day?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...-collins_N.htm

Pertinant quotes..

Does Miller get such a twitch? "Definitely not (for) coaching," he says. "I don't have the patience. I'll leave the door open to working in a front office."

Like with his old team, the Indiana Pacers? "It would be an unbelievable opportunity to be able to go home. But Larry Bird has those guys on the right track." Miller isn't surprised that Collins managed to get the Sixers into the playoffs. "Effort and execution will take you a long way. If you have the right mastermind behind you in those areas, any basketball team can get it done."

USA Today

It is nice to know he wouldn't be opposed to the idea if ever offered ..

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Miller/ Indiana in a front office job one day?

I like how he referred to Indiana as home.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I was about to say the exact same thing.

I love Reggie Miller.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Reggie is always welcome back home.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Before I say this. Reggie is my favorite of ALL time. But, even if he was a candidate for the front office, wouldn't we be just as excited as we were when Bird stepped in?

Not saying Reggie would fail, but at this point, anything can happen in the PO.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

More or less why Reggie will always be my all-time favorite athlete. The dedication he put into our city and our franchise is unheard of these days. I don't live in Indy anymore, but I still consider myself a citizen of Indianapolis. I love that Reggie seems to feel the same way and he's not even a native.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    More or less why Reggie will always be my all-time favorite athlete. The dedication he put into our city and our franchise is unheard of these days. I don't live in Indy anymore, but I still consider myself a citizen of Indianapolis. I love that Reggie seems to feel the same way and he's not even a native.
    I agree, I hope, and get the feeling he will be, Manning will be similar.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    I don't live in Indy anymore, but I still consider myself a citizen of Indianapolis. I love that Reggie seems to feel the same way and he's not even a native.
    I've only been to Indianapolis twice in my entire life (both for Pacer games), and *I* consider myself a 'citizen' in my own way.

That's just the type of franchise and team we are... It's a level of dedication and passion that many other sports towns miss.

I am fortunate enough to be a part of two such fanbases! The Pacers and the Packers. (Name similarities a sheer coincidence, lol!)
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

One day, he will be a part of this franchise in some capacity. He clearly wants to be.

I wouldn't be opposed to him tutoring under Bird.

He still owns a $5 million dollar home near Indy.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    He still owns a $5 million dollar home near Indy.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:

i tend to disagree with a lot of the afore mentioned thoughts.

i've been a reggie fan since 1991 when i started watching. i still am. i still enjoy hearing him call games, regardless of how horrible he is.

my opinions:
    1) i think reggie was being generous when saying he would love to come home. i think that was a PR statement. it was the right thing to say. and he said it. i appreciate him for saying that, but i don't think his lifestyle fits with the indy way of living. therefore i don't think reggie would ever come back in real life.

michael jordan has outgrown southern north carolina. he owns the team, but how many nights a year do you really think he sleeps in charlotte? compound that thought with this: reggie never was originally from indiana.

2) reggie has all but abandoned indianapolis. does he still do any charity weekend stuff in town or not really? i don't think he does. does he even have a basketball camp in town in the summer?

3) if reggie comes back to the front office and fails, our aura of him is scarred. just like it has happened to Michael Jordan, and to some extent larry bird. even look at dumars now. yes, he won championships, but he's taking a beating right now.

I like reggie. he's one of my favorite players all time. i just want to remember him for his play on court. part of me admits it would be excited to see him as a part of the organization, but the risks would be prohibitive in my opinion.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post

i've been a reggie fan since 1991 when i started watching. i still am. i still enjoy hearing him call games, regardless of how horrible he is.

my opinions:
    1) i think reggie was being generous when saying he would love to come home. i think that was a PR statement. it was the right thing to say. and he said it. i appreciate him for saying that, but i don't think his lifestyle fits with the indy way of living. therefore i don't think reggie would ever come back in real life.

michael jordan has outgrown southern north carolina. he owns the team, but how many nights a year do you really think he sleeps in charlotte? compound that thought with this: reggie never was originally from indiana.

2) reggie has all but abandoned indianapolis. does he still do any charity weekend stuff in town or not really? i don't think he does. does he even have a basketball camp in town in the summer?

3) if reggie comes back to the front office and fails, our aura of him is scarred. just like it has happened to Michael Jordan, and to some extent larry bird. even look at dumars now. yes, he won championships, but he's taking a beating right now.

I like reggie. he's one of my favorite players all time. i just want to remember him for his play on court. part of me admits it would be excited to see him as a part of the organization, but the risks would be prohibitive in my opinion.
    MJ lives a block from the bobcats arena and is at every game. (im sure he doesnt live there in the offseason)

I dont want Reggie to be GM I want a guy who is trained to be a gm not Legends like Bird, Miller and Mullian.

do you think that during the season, he's actually sleeping in his home in charlotte more than 1/2 the week? my guess is, if he attends every game, he might fly in the day of, go to the game, then leave the next morning. if a home stand, he might stay for some consecutive days. but i still imagine he spends the majority of his time btwn chicago and florida.

as far as GM - hmm i don't know. its tough. players sometimes are the best judges of other players. but then other times, you have someone who was trained as a lawyer who becomes a GM. how do you really train to be a GM? i don't know the answer.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

i want to say one more thing - i think peyton manning is already 100x more invested in Indy than Reggie ever will be.

i think peyton will live in indy after he retires.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

i want to say one more thing - i think peyton manning is already 100x more invested in Indy than Reggie ever will be.

I remember Conrad Brunner talking about the numerous things Reggie did in the community that went unpublicized. Peyton, in many ways could be considered the face of the NFL. Certainly one of the few to be considered, at the very least. He's by far a bigger public figure than Reggie was. I don't say that to minimize Reggie. I say that to recognize how huge Peyton is. I think Reggie was able to do a bit more under wraps.

That isn't true. Manning will bolt Indy as soon as he retires.

He is a southern boy. He has been a good citizen of Indy while playing here but this is not his home.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

I definitely think Manning heads back to New Orleans once he retires. Why would he live in Indy the majority of the year when he is done playing? He'll keep a house here probably and fly in for charity stuff and such throughout the year, but I would bet every dime I had that he goes back to New Orleans when he's finished. He'll make sure the grandkids are close to Archie and Olivia. Cooper is still there, and I bet Eli will go back too when he's finished. When all is said and done, that entire family will be back in New Orleans like it's old times. The Mannings are very family-oriented and I have a hard time believing Peyton would raise his kids here instead of home surrounded by family. Of course, this is all just pure guessing on my part. But if I were a betting man I would definitely put money on him going back to the Big Easy.

Not many athletes stay in the place they played at when they are done playing.

And Reggie did a ton of stuff for Indy. Wasn't he always heavily involved with Riley hospital? I'm sure he did charitable stuff all over the area, most of it which probably went unnoticed. Mannings charitable deeds, OTOH, are very public. He has a hospital named after him, has the bowling thing, has the Peyback bowl etc etc.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 04-20-2011 at 10:27 PM.

I *THINK* Reggie still does the Reggie Bowl. I know he did do the Peyback Bowl last year too.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

my opinions:

I don't think Reggie has "all but abandoned" Indianapolis. I am rarely in Indianapolis myself and I saw him in Circuit City last year. Now, that could be a huge coincidence, but I think he is in town more than you are implying.

Also, my opinion of Reggie the player won't be tarnished if he fails in a front office role. I know plenty of Pistons fans who love Dumars the player and hate Dumars the executive. They say segregating these desires is really easier than one would think. I don't know this from personal experience, but I find it to be overwhelming the case among people I know.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    That isn't true. Manning will bolt Indy as soon as he retires.

He is a southern boy. He has been a good citizen of Indy while playing here but this is not his home.
    I don't doubt it, but I also doubt Indy will every be just the place he played football. Even if Reggie doesn't spend much if any time here you can tell he still has an attachment to Indy even if it isn't his true home. I don't get the feeling from Manning that he just does all the local stuff because that is what pro athletes are supposed to do, but because he actually likes Indy.

Dear all,

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Reggie didn't contribute to the community, publicly or behind the scenes. He did and I witnessed it. All in the past. However - I don't think he maintains any significant presence in Indianapolis any longer.

Peyton - my opinion is that he stays and really builds upon what he's started. But I can appreciate the sentiment that he moves back to warmer climates. Maybe he does, the verdict remains unknown.

Kauffie.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I am rarely in Indianapolis myself and I saw him in Circuit City last year
    Circuit City was liquidated more than two years ago.
    Last edited by Kaufman; 04-21-2011 at 06:28 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Circuit City was liquidated more two years ago.
    Maybe he meant Best Buy.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert55 View Post
    Maybe he meant Best Buy.
    or maybe even service merchandise.