Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Paul George hit the gym at four or five in the morning..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So Paul George hit the gym at four or five in the morning..

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/blog_brunner.html#110420

George relishes challenge of guarding Rose

April 20, 2011

Given Derrick Rose's 36 points in Game 2, following 39 in Game 1, you might develop the impression the Pacers are concerned about the player assigned to defend the Chicago point guard.
    You would, of course, be wrong.

"I give him an A-plus," Frank Vogel said of Paul George's work.

Assigning a rookie wing player to defend any point guard is a bold move. Assigning a rookie wing player to defend this point guard, the hottest player in the game, the likely league MVP, is something else entirely.

Then again, so is George.

When the Pacers returned home from Chicago after a 96-90 loss in Game 2 Monday night, George did not head home for some much-needed rest. Instead, at 4 a.m., he and a friend drove straight to Conseco Fieldhouse for a couple of hours of extra work.

George said he put up around 1,000 shots and ran through some plays that had given him problems.

"I was more motivated than anything so me and my (friend) came in, got some shots up, he rebounded for me, got a lot of free throws," George said. "I just went through the scenarios that I turned the ball over late in the game. The play that coach Frank kept calling for me where I was isolated at the top, I kept going through that series just so that doesn't happen again."

George had four blocked shots and three steals in Game 2. Vogel said he set a team record with 18 deflections.

"I thought he was spectacular on (Rose)," said Vogel. "A couple of breakdowns but a couple of breakdowns over the course of a long game, I thought he did a great job. He was great with his hands, great with his angles. I was just very proud of him."

George has done extensive film study on Rose to try to pick up some tendencies. With each game, he learns a little more, develops a more detailed plan of attack. Shutting down Rose is out of the question. Making his life difficult is the first step.

"He had me tired, legs cramping, back sore," George said. "I tried to give him my all, really tried to force him to take some tough shots and make him try to make some tough passes, and really tried to get the ball out of his hands. But he's a great scorer, a great player and he ultimately made the best plays."

Since moving into the starting lineup on March 9, George's emphasis has shifted from offense to defense. With the second unit he was more of a go-to guy. With the first unit, he's trying be the stopper.

His commitment to that role has made a big impression on Vogel.

"You see talented guys come into this league every single year and some of them blossom and some of them don't," he said. "It's about what you're made up of inside. And that kid is made up of hunger and the ability to learn, the ability to listen, the desire to be great.

"Aside from his physical talents, all those things give us a great deal of hope and belief that kid's going to be special."

George is not expected to stop Rose. He is not expected to contain him one-on-one. All five Indiana defenders have a role to play. George is the man on point, so to speak.

However this series turns out, the Pacers have learned quite a bit about their prized rookie, the No. 10 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft. George is one of those rare players who not only has the talent but the desire, the will, the work ethic, to become special.

It's a long journey from here to there but that early-morning trip to the gym shows George knows the way.
    This guy is unbelievable. Hard to believe he is a rookie.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

That article probably deserves a thread of it's own. There are a great deal of juicy quotes in there.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul George is going to be a very special player for us. He has the talent of Tracy McGrady and the work ethic of Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I've been telling all my friends (all magic and bulls fans) that he's going to be incredible ina few years. I'm 100% confident he'll be the best Pacer in three years and maybe a top player in the league in due time. He just has it all.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Another Article on George:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...ate-night-work

Indiana Pacers rookie Paul George didn't go straight home after the team returned from Chicago at 3 a.m. Tuesday. He made a detour to Conseco Fieldhouse.
    "I was more motivated than anything," George said. "Me and (a friend) came in and got some shots up. He rebounded for me, and I got up a lot of free throws."
    George took about 1,000 shots over a 90-minute span before finally deciding it was time to go to bed.
    George is shooting only 33 percent from the field, including 20 percent on 3-pointers, in the series.
    "That kid is made up of hunger and the ability to learn and listen, the desire to be great," interim coach Frank Vogel said. "And aside from his physical talents, all those things just give us a great deal of hope and belief that kid is going to be special."
    As impressed as Vogel was with George's late-night shooting, the coach wants the rookie's focus to be on trying to find a way to slow Chicago's Derrick Rose.
    Rose scored 36 points Monday, but George's length, athleticism and instincts made it challenging at times on the league's probable Most Valuable Player.
    "He's a tough matchup," George said. "He had me tired, legs cramping, back sore. I just tried to give him all I had and force him to take some tough shots and force him to make some tough passes. He's a great scorer."
    George was only 2-of-7 from the field, but he had four blocks, three steals and 18 deflections, according to Vogel.
    "I thought he (George) was spectacular on (Rose)," Vogel said. "A couple of breakdowns over the course of a long game, but I thought he did a great job. He was great with his hands, he was great with his angles. I was just very proud of him."
    -----

Trapping Rose worked well, at times
    The Pacers threw a different wrinkle into their quest to find a way to slow Rose on Monday. They started sending two-man traps at him in an attempt to get the ball out of his hands.
    The Pacers began practicing their trapping defense last week because they knew they would have to use it at some point in the series.
    The Pacers paid the price for trying to trap Rose in the fourth quarter, however.
    Rose got the ball to Joakim Noah, who took a couple of dribbles toward the basket before finding an open Kyle Korver in the corner for a 3-pointer that put the Bulls up five with about a minute left.
    "We know he's hurt us very, very badly in the fourth quarter two games in a row and we were doing a very good job on him in the fourth," Vogel said about Rose. "We just wanted to see what it looked like. It seemed pretty effective. We forced a couple of turnovers, so we stayed with it. We didn't execute the last one down the stretch, which burned us."
    -----

Rebounding woes still an issue
    Vogel said Rose isn't the Pacers' biggest problem. It's their inability to rebound. The Bulls outrebounded the Pacers by 24 in Game 2. Chicago has grabbed 41 offensive rebounds in the series.
    "We have to play more physical and keep penetration out of the lane. It starts by keeping the ball out of the paint," Vogel said.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

George has done extensive film study on Rose to try to pick up some tendencies. With each game, he learns a little more, develops a more detailed plan of attack. Shutting down Rose is out of the question. Making his life difficult is the first step.
    I just figured it out....PG isn't human...not even superhuman...he's a robot....programmed to analyze, learn and destroy any opponent that he is matched up against. He's the Terminator.....
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-20-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I just figured it out....PG isn't human...not even superhuman...he's a robot....programmed to analyze, learn and destroy any opponent that he is matched up against. He's the Terminator.....
    He's Peyton Manning!

aeast317

love it. such commitment! he is going to be very very special.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ndcoltsnpacers View Post
    He's Peyton Manning!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I hope someone at least rebounded for him.
    I believe his roommate went with him and rebounded for him.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So you're telling me that at 4am in Indianapolis there was a Pacer not at a strip club, a night club, or a bar fighting people or getting shot at, but instead was in the gym practicing his game? Working on his defense and practicing his shot?

Unbelievable. Kidding aside, this Paul George fella is gonna be incredible.

I hope he can keep this up! If he becomes a defensive beast, that's already a home run for the Pacers. If his offense starts to click, then the Pacers are already championship contenders. Just imagine that the Bulls are winning by just an average of 6 points and George is not even scoring that well...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Paul George is quickly becoming one of the best defenders in the Eastern Conference, and maybe the NBA, and his 3 ball for a 20 year old looks stellar. He can get his shot off because he is so long and athletic. Keep it up Paul. Don't stop, keep goin. Whenever your offensive game finally clicks, you will be the most dangerous SG this league has seen since Jordan if you live up to your full potential. Believe that.

Never a doubt in my mind Paul George was the number 1 pick every cried for us to tank to get. Sure John Wall is going to be great, but so is Paul George. I feel like we were rewarded for not tanking. If we tanked last year we would have never got Paul George, and there isn't a player in that draft I'd take over him at this point.

This is hands down the best rookie playoff performance I have ever seen as a fan and maybe the old timers can correct me. Paul George is like a bigger, longer, and stronger Reggie Miller clone with great athleticism and defense.

This thread is obviously observing the best case scenario but there is no reason to believe he won't do it with an attitude like that. Anything is possible if you believe it and make it happen.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post

Great article... thanks for posting. It touched on a great point. With guys like Rose, you will never be able to shut them down. What you can do to contribute defensively is make him work as hard as possible so everything he gets is tough. I was very happy to see that PG24 was able to make Rose work for everything he got.

Now DC2 (if healthy) just needs to work Rose on the other end of the floor... keeping him on Bogans should allow him to do that.

To all those who said we need to tank for higher picks to become a better team...what are your thoughts now?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    To all those who said we need to tank for higher picks to become a better team...what are your thoughts now?
    The same thing