Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really Roy Hibbert?

Default Re: Really Roy Hibbert?

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    name me one time reggie, kobe, jordan, shaq, magic, bird, duncan, etc etc EVER went into a series content with winning a game or two. i rest my case...
    I think you'd make a wonderful Talmudic (or ESPN) scholar.

Roy: "I'm going to have a good lunch and then play my heart out"

ESPN: "Roy doesn't care about the game. He's just going to eat lunch."

ESPN: "'Playing your heart out' isn't enough. A real NBA "star" plays his heart out; gets defibrillated; then plays his heart out again in the Playoffs. The Pacers have no leadership!"

ESPN: "Would Reggie Miller eat lunch before a playoff game? No!"

ESPN: "Is this good trash talk? No! This is not the right kind of trash talk!"

ESPN: "There's just no leadership on this team!"

ESPN: "Wait till the Bulls hear this! Talk about locker room motivation! Is Roy crazy?"

ESPN: "No one eats lunch in the playoffs! Roy's certainly not focused!"

ESPN: "Stay tuned! A panel of former NBA players critiques Roy's lunch choices!"
    Last edited by IndyHoya; 04-18-2011 at 05:48 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyHoya For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    That's not what Roy said...
    by saying we are going to shock the world by not getting swept is implying the pacers are content with less than winning the series. how you can think otherwise given his statement, idk.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

by saying we are going to shock the world by not getting swept is implying the pacers are content with less than winning the series. how you can think otherwise given his statement, idk.
    Except they are two separate statements.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

It was two separate statements..as was pointed out earlier.

He said we are going to shock some people.

And he said we aren't going to get swept. They weren't a combined statement. No need to take it that way just because ESPN did.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I would be happy if the Pacers dont get swept! If they won a couple games I would be cheering for Vogel to return and for them not to make wholesale changes.
    But then again, I am a fan. When I played, I never went into a game just hoping not to get embarrased. These guys are playing at the top level. They should be thinking about winning! I will give Hibbert the benefit of the doubt = He is talking about winning!

and nearly every post i see of yours is nothing but homerism at its finest. being a homer gets you nowhere. as a fan we expect contending teams and championships. the players should have the same mentality. but far too often on this board and from the pacers organization there is a lack of expectations and being content with mediocrity. it's about finding where and how we can improve and improving upon it. why should any of us be satisfied with anything less than titles? that's why the players play is it not. to win? as many flaws as hansbrough has, he seems to be one of the few players who shows the intensity and determination it takes on a nightly basis to win a title. every pacer can learn a thing or two from hans.

Lol, these are pro athletes. These are humans that have STOMPED their competition for their entire lives and finally have to deal with being called a loser, a choker, and playing every night against people that are equally as gifted as them. It blows my mind that people think pro athletes aren't competitive and are "okay with mediocrity." I guarantee that loser label burns them a lot more then you can even comprehend.

I see two actual quotes from Hibbert and none of them say "we're going to at least win one,". I'm pretty sure the title was pretty much an assumption that was made off of just "There's no way they're going to sweep us,"

BUT, Hibbert on one of the pre series interview videos didn't say "we're going to look to win the series," like Danny Granger did and said "We're looking to come into this series and win a couple of games," So you can go off of that as far as having a low goal. but that little article is a joke imo.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

blah, blah, blah...

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    It was two separate statements..as was pointed out earlier.

He said we are going to shock some people.

And he said we aren't going to get swept. They weren't a combined statement. No need to take it that way just because ESPN did.
    if it was two separate statements then i apologize and take back some of my comments. i still sense a feeling of contentment with certain players however.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    Lol, these are pro athletes. These are humans that have STOMPED their competition for their entire lives and finally have to deal with being called a loser, a choker, and playing every night against people that are equally as gifted as them. It blows my mind that people think pro athletes aren't competitive and are "okay with mediocrity." I guarantee that loser label burns them a lot more then you can even comprehend.
    jamarcus russell, erick dampier, randy moss, eddy curry, and the list goes on... many of these guys care about money first, second, third, and then the game of basketball/football/baseball. also the reason if you play fantasy, you always draft the guys in contract years. without that financial incentive, i don't expect maximum effort from pro athletes anymore.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

jamarcus russell, erick dampier, randy moss, eddy curry, and the list goes on... many of these guys care about money first, second, third, and then the game of basketball/football/baseball. also the reason if you play fantasy, you always draft the guys in contract years. without that financial incentive, i don't expect maximum effort from pro athletes anymore.
    I don't think that is a fair statement toward pro athletes.

Yes, I agree that there are certain players that only care about money like the ones you listed, but I believe there are many more players working their hardest.

Most pro athletes, ranging from NBA, NFL, MLB, etc. are working hard to reach their goals, whatever they may be.

Think about the guys who are on the practice squad or farm system working to make a name for themselves. You also have the backup guys showing effort to make the first squad, and a lot of the first squad guys are focusing on winning a championship.

Also, of course players play better in contract years because of the financial incentive. Wouldn't you work harder if you were going to get a raise at your job? I think many people forget this is their career as well.

Aren't we analyzing his comments just a tad bit too much? It was just two sentences.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Aren't we analyzing his comments just a tad bit too much? It was just two sentences.
    Maybe.

I always thought the purpose of a forum was to share your thoughts with other posters.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

Hopefully he rips out Noah's disgusting rats nest hair.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Looks like a bunch of spiders are having a meeting on his head or something. Drives me nuts.