Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really Roy Hibbert?

Default Really Roy Hibbert?

I know no one is giving us a chance...but does hibbert really need to say that the pacers "Shock" the world and win ONE game? Shock the world by not being swept? WTF?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...Win_For_Pacers

maybe it's just me but i want to win the damn series to shock the world
    Keep believing...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Really Roy Hibbert?

Hibbert never said we are going to shock the world.

On the link you posted, it just says, "We're going to shock some people".

I don't think he meant that in a negative way, but he was saying that because people are not giving this team a chance.

I really don't think guarantees mean anything in sports, but hopefully this encourages Hibbert to come crash the boards with Noah the rest of the series, and take over the low post offensively.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The vast majority of people (particularly in the mainstream sports journalism world) are predicting a sweep. So in that sense winning one or more games would shock alot of people, just listen to how the announcers prostrate for chicago during the broadcast. Us not getting blown out was shocking to them.

Plus this doesn't mean hibbert doesn't want to win the series...

Gotta win one game to even consider winning the series. You cannot get to 4 wins without at least winning the first of those 4 needed games....

Signed,
    Mr. Obvious
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Overreact much?
    Grown Man Ball

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Hibbert had 2 separate comments...

1.) "We are definitely not going to be swept"
    2.) "We're going to shock a lot of people"

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

I didn't read that the way the OP did at all, but then again I heard the whole interview first. Two separate comments, as Trader Joe said. This little tidbit compresses what he said to try and spin it into something confrontational.

The takeaway points are that we are going to go hard and compete every game and we are not going to get swept. Lots of people expected us to get stomped for four games and sent on our way, so it would be a shock to a lot of people if the games were competitive. I am sure Hibbert's goal is to win the series too.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Oh, for the sake of Peter and all the Saints.

If some people had their way, players would say nothing about an upcoming game that would indicate confidence at all. If this goes on, people will be calling "I think we'll only lose by 50" bulletin board material.

There's "We'll win the series" and there's "We won't be swept". No one can possibly tell me they are the same.

What amazes me is that in a different context people would be climbing all over Roy for having no confidence in the team whatsoever.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Signed,
    Mr. Obvious
    Ahem.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

I guess Roy should have curled up with his blankie, held on to his stuffed puppy, said "We're going to lose 4 straight and look bad doing it" and then taken his afternoon nap.

WTF does anyone expect him to say ??

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    I guess Roy should have curled up with his blankie, held on to his stuffed puppy, said "We're going to lose 4 straight and look bad doing it" and then taken his afternoon nap.

WTF does anyone expect him to say ??
    Obviously, the only thing any player is ever allowed to say is "<Opponents X> are a great ball team and it is going to be difficult. We'll do the best we can, but we don't have any confidence in the outcome."
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    There's "We'll win the series" and there's "We won't be swept". No one can possibly tell me they are the same.
    I'll tell you they are the same, but I'll also tell you neither one is trash talking. Trash talking is saying we will win this in a blow out, the Bulls have absolutely zero chance of even coming close to winning a game. Saying "We'll win the series" or "We won't be swept" is just having confidence within yourself and the team. Bulls players would have to be either idiots or desperate for trash talk to think either of those sayings is trash talk. personally I don't give a **** if you give them tons of "bulletin board" material. These players aren't in the pros because they needed "bulletin board material" in order to get up and play better. They are in the pros because they just got up and played better no matter what.

Didn't we shock people already this past Saturday?

what would you guys think if REGGIE said that? "were going to shock people" and then say "We won't get swept" LOL...that's your goal? not to get swept. Come on man...I don't care who the other team is. That isn't jordan over there. I think the team believes they can win this series but for the most part they don't buy into it 100%. I want hibbert to say "We are going to do everything we can to win this series" Maybe i'm not seeing it but i haven't seen one quote maybe outside of danny say "we are going to win the series" wtf who wants to be competitive? if you still lose you still lose. Moral victories suck
    Keep believing...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by WhatCouldHaveBeen View Post
    what would you guys think if REGGIE said that? "were going to shock people" and then say "We won't get swept" LOL...that's your goal? not to get swept. Come on man...I don't care who the other team is. That isn't jordan over there. I think the team believes they can win this series but for the most part they don't buy into it 100%. I want hibbert to say "We are going to do everything we can to win this series" Maybe i'm not seeing it but i haven't seen one quote maybe outside of danny say "we are going to win the series" wtf who wants to be competitive? if you still lose you still lose. Moral victories suck
    You are interpreting it as that he is saying they will win only one game, when thats not what he said. We wont get swept is anything from winning one game to winning the series. Shocking people is really winning at least 2 games, but Roy could have very well meant it as we are gonna win the series. We don't know for sure. Settle down and don't worry about words said. Worry about what they do on the court

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Didn't we shock people already this past Saturday?
    That will happen once we win a game on their court.

There are no consolation prizes in the playoffs.

Pass That

They just talked about this on Sports Nation on ESPN2.

Michelle Beadle (somewhat jokingly) liked Roy's realistic outlook.
    Michael Smith said it was the worst trash talk of all time showing no confidence in Roy's own team
    Last edited by MrPreGame; 04-18-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

further proof there's no leader on this team. you think reggie was satisfied with only winning a game or two in a series and thus not getting swept? c'mon. as chris paul stated after his team beat the lakers: come playoff time you have a clean slate and it's anybody's series to win. here we are setting our aspirations to not getting swept. ridiculous. especially disappointing since i love hibbert. first the fans, now the players...

Quote Originally Posted by MrPreGame View Post
    They just talked about this on Sports Nation on ESPN2.

Michelle Beadle liked Roy's realistic outlook.
    Michael Smith said it was the worst trash talk of all time showing no confidence in Roy's own team
    Screw 'em. Roy's OK and I'm OK with Roy. Go Pacers! Shock the world!

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    further proof there's no leader on this team. you think reggie was satisfied with only winning a game or two in a series and thus not getting swept? c'mon. as chris paul stated after his team beat the lakers: come playoff time you have a clean slate and it's anybody's series to win. here we are setting our aspirations to not getting swept. ridiculous. especially disappointing since i love hibbert. first the fans, now the players...
    I rest my case...
    BillS

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How do you know Roy's comment about shocking some people isn't about the Pacers winning the series? Every post you make is such a Debbie Downer man. It's ok to be a fan sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I rest my case...
    name me one time reggie, kobe, jordan, shaq, magic, bird, duncan, etc etc EVER went into a series content with winning a game or two. i rest my case...

name me one time reggie, kobe, jordan, shaq, magic, bird, duncan, etc etc EVER went into a series content with winning a game or two. i rest my case...
    That's not what Roy said...

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I'm just saying Roy can't win. Between some people saying he's too arrogant and giving the Bulls bulletin board material and others saying he's too much of a downer. There were plenty of folks on the first side, you were the person on the second side proving my point.
    BillS

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    How do you know Roy's comment about shocking some people isn't about the Pacers winning the series? Every post you make is such a Debbie Downer man. It's ok to be a fan sometimes.
    and nearly every post i see of yours is nothing but homerism at its finest. being a homer gets you nowhere. as a fan we expect contending teams and championships. the players should have the same mentality. but far too often on this board and from the pacers organization there is a lack of expectations and being content with mediocrity. it's about finding where and how we can improve and improving upon it. why should any of us be satisfied with anything less than titles? that's why the players play is it not. to win? as many flaws as hansbrough has, he seems to be one of the few players who shows the intensity and determination it takes on a nightly basis to win a title. every pacer can learn a thing or two from hans.
    Last edited by croz24; 04-18-2011 at 05:13 PM.