Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, for those of you that watched every playoff game over the weekend

Default Ok, for those of you that watched every playoff game over the weekend

what was the best game?

What suprised you the most?

Who had the best individual day?

Who was worse than you thought?

What star player didn't shine?

Any other thoughts?

I'm looking at you Uncle Buck, Kstat, etc.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ok, for those of you that watched every playoff game over the weekend

best game Boston vs NYK

best day would be runners up Westbrook Durant Rose winner CP3

Kobe didnt shine
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 04-18-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Default Re: Ok, for those of you that watched every playoff game over the weekend

I saw bits and pieces of all of them, except the last game (OKC v Denver)

Best game, I thought ours was, actually. Although, it would have been better if we'd won.

Also our game. I thought for sure the Pacers were going to get blown out.

Chris Paul

Pau Gasol

Pau Gasol

I'm not worried about the Lakers, Pau will show up 4 times, although he can officially shut up about wanting more touches. With Nelson and Dwight, Orlando should be much better than what they are. Quite frankly, I blame SVG.

The Celtics game..everyone knew (or should have known) Ray Allen was going to get that shot. And Ray managed to get an open shot. He didn't create for himself, he got a wide open three point shot. Can we figure out how to do this for Danny please?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

owl

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what was the best game?

Any other thoughts?

I didn't catch the Miami/Phi game, but....

Memphis surprised me the most. I know SA didn't have Ginobli, but Memphis doesn't have Rudy, either. Randolph is a beast down low.

I think Rose/CP3 both had great days.

The best play I saw came from Kevin Durant. Did anyone else see the layup he hit last night? I can't even explain it, I'll try to find the video. (video at 1:34 mark)

Orlando's supporting cast was terrible.

I have to add. I'm not an NBA fan. I'm a Pacers fan. I don't normally watch games that don't involve the Pacers, but these playoff games were fantastic.

Last edited by BPump33; 04-18-2011 at 12:16 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Mood

The bias in me can't call any other but ours teh best and most entertaining game.

Out of the others though there were so many, my personal choice is the OKC Denver matchup that was extremely fun.

The stars that shined brightest imo were durant howard and rose (even though howard lost he was so dominate, it's a shame his team has regressed)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This was definitely the best opening playoff games in a long time.

I liked the Grizzlies/Spurs and Thunder/Nuggets and of course our competive game 1.

I thought Rose and Durant played some great games.

After the opening games, I don't think anyone is going to be swept.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    I didn't catch the Miami/Phi game, but....

Memphis surprised me the most. I know SA didn't have Ginobli, but Memphis doesn't have Rudy, either. Randolph is a beast down low.

I think Rose/CP3 both had great days.

The best play I saw came from Kevin Durant. Did anyone else see the layup he hit last night? I can't even explain it, I'll try to find the video.

Orlando's supporting cast was terrible.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKKbCXrQvkM

ya unreal 1:37

Ya ORL not showing up was my biggest surprise

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKKbCXrQvkM

ya unreal 1:37

Ya ORL not showing up was my biggest surprise
    That's an MVP move right there.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    That's an MVP move right there.
    it certinly got me off my sofa saying "did he really just do that". The guy is 6"11 and made a Drose type move crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    it certinly got me off my sofa saying "did he really just do that". The guy is 6"11 and made a Drose type move crazy.
    Who do you think you are, John Starks?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

what was the best game?
    Grizzlies/Spurs

Hornets/Lakers

Chris Paul

Jason Richardson

Pau Gasol

Any other thoughts?
    This is the most unpredictable first weekend in the history of the NBA playoffs. And the higher seed still won 5 of 8.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-18-2011 at 01:10 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Banned

Same as Kstats, amazing weekend I was expecting one or two good games, every single game was exciting and maybe Miami/Philly was the most boring game of the weekend.

I have already lost two posts, hopefully this one goes through.

What was the best game? The Celtics–Knicks I think. Close second for the Spurs-Grizz

What surprised you the most? – Biased – Pacers game (us not getting blown out, which I was expecting)

Unbiased – How many close games there were, and seeing JO come back and have a good game.

Who had the best individual day? – A bunch of PG’s had great games, but Dwight Howard.

Who was worse than you thought? – The entire Orlando supporting cast. They did know that they had a game that day, right?

What star player didn't shine? – Kobe, which is scary because that just means he will come back and have a monster game two

Any other thoughts? – I still hate how inconsistent NBA refs are, but I think this has been an awesome weekend for the NBA in general. I do wish the NBA would go pro-active on some issues (like that crazy goal tend in the evening game last night) and implement a one challenge system or a replay, something to help alleviate those missed late game calls.

I also really enjoyed Inside the NBA with Ernie, Charles and Kenny. I think Kenny was talking about system players and how all players have to know their roles, and I really agreed with his point. He was saying guys can get away from the system in the first 3 quarters, but in the fourth you have to have a good system and all players have to be willing to buy into it.

Mood

what was the best game?
    Knicks, Celts

Thaddeus Young

CP3

I can't say Gasol becuz he ALWAYS plays this way in the playoffs, so I'll say George Hill

Kobe in the 4th
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

what was the best game?

Any other thoughts?

The best game I cannot pick the pacers game because obviously I care about that more so I am biased, so picking out of the other 7 I would rank them this way.

1) Grizzlies beating Spurs
    2) OKC beating Denver
    3) Hornets beating the Lakers - surprised me the most
    4) Celts beating the Knicks

wow yesterday should go down in history as the best day ever - every game was great and maybe the Celtics vs Knicks was the best, I don't know .

5) Mavs beating Blazers
    6) Hawks beating magic
    7) Heat beating Sixers - although I only watched the last 16 minutes as it was right after the pacers game.

OK if I try to take my Pacers bias out of it, I think our game would be 3rd or 4th on my list.

I also watch all the post game press conferences on NBATV, mainly for the coaches. I could rank the coaches if anyone cares. Monte Williams and larry Drew both impressed me in their press conferences, not that press conferences mean anything in regards to whether a guy is a good coach. Vogel needs some differemnt material as he needs to realize he isn't still talking with the players - although I loved his huddles - those were the best I heard over the weekend.

I think Chris Paul was the best player overall. Although Rose was right there.

I hate to pick stars who didn't play well - I guess Gasol who was outplayed by his younger brother.

I loved seeing some new teams and new coaches in the playoffs. Grizzlies, Hornets, Pacers, Knicks - even though they had players you saw before, loved seeing the Nuggets and there new players.

I like to rank the crowds. Most of the crowds over the weekend are playoff veternas and that makes them a little spoiled. can't wait to see memphis crowd now.

1) The best crowd by far was in OKC. The blue wave and they stood for most of the game.
    Really alll the crowds were good, but the Lakers crowd was by far the worst.

Hubie Brown is still my favorite analyst, although I like JVG a lot. TNT's best IMO is Mchale even though he is their 4th anayst - he should be their number #1 guy.

I like Chris Mullen as a player but he just isn't good in the studio, Jalen is pretty good.
    ON NBATV, I like Steve Smith, and Brent Barry the best, although Matt Harpring who is not a regular has a future in braodcasting if he wants. Dennis Scott is average at best, mahorn makes some good points, but doesn't seem like he cares
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-18-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post

I can't say Gasol becuz he ALWAYS plays this way in the playoffs, so I'll say George Hill

What are you talking about? Gasol averaged 19 and 11 last year in the postseason. The year before that, he averaged 18 and 10. Three years ago he averaged 16 and 9, but that was the first extended playoff run of his career. He has improved every postseason for the Lakers and the extended playoff runs have toughened him up.

Here are his lines against Boston's brutal front court in last year's Finals:

23/14
    25/8
    13/10
    21/6
    12/12
    17/13
    19/18

So no, Gasol doesn't "always" play like he did yesterday, when he put up just 8 and 6. He has been a monster the past two years in the postseason and is the biggest reason aside from Kobe that the Lakers have won the last two titles. The numbers prove it. Thus, it IS surprising that he played so poorly yesterday.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

what was the best game?
    Nuggets @ Thunder

Though there were so many good ones that it's hard to pick. There was truly not one bad game all weekend. Only the Miami/Philly & Atlanta/Orlando games weren't a nailbiters and the performance of Dwight Howard was as dominating as I've seen from a big man since Shaq.

The Hornets beating the Lakers.

Chris Paul. He was truly brilliant.

Though the performances of Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol, Zach Randolph, and Kevin Durant certainly deserve mention and almost any other playoff weekend would have won.

Hedo Turkoglu, Jason Richardson, Gilbert Arenas, Brandon Bass, Ryan Alexander, etc.

Carmelo Anthony. He looked like he was pressing the whole game. I expect him to bounce back though.

Any other thoughts?
    It's been awhile since I've been to a playoff game. I'd forgotten what it was like. Walking into United Center reminded me that NBA games can be events and not just time fillers. I haven't had that feeling at Conseco in quite awhile. I can't wait for Thursday to feel it again.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 04-18-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

It's been awhile since I've been to a playoff game. I'd forgotten what it was like. Walking into United Center reminded me that NBA games can be events and not just time fillers. I haven't had that feeling at Conseco in quite awhile. I can't wait for Thursday to feel it again.
    Not trying to derail the thread, but how were you treated in Chicago? Were you wearing Pacers gear?

thought kobe was weak in the laker game. it seemed like he gave up on the rest of the team and went into kobe/hero mode and never stopped shooting. it came accross as 'don't blame me'. blame someone else. lakers do much better when they play the triangle rather than iso-kobe over and over again.

don't know why, but kobe has been much more selfish this year than last year.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Not trying to derail the thread, but how were you treated in Chicago? Were you wearing Pacers gear?
    Yes I was wearing Pacers gear. The treatment was fine. The usual catcalls and whatnot but nothing crazy. Just some lighthearted ribbing which was of course returned in kind.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Best game? OKC-Denver. The lead just keeps swinging the entire 2nd half.

Most surprising? The Pacers almost upsetting the Bulls in game 1. Even the whole ESPN crew are shocked that they aren't seeing the Bulls dominating.

Best individual play? CP3 and Howard, but since Howard's team lost (and he should not feel good that day because they still lost), I'll give it to CP3.

Worse than I thought? The whole Magic team. I never thought that they'll lose so bad to the Hawks.

Star player that didn't shine? Gasol. He normally is consistent during the playoffs.

Other thoughts?
    - If the Pacers remain competitive in game 2 and win against the Bulls, I would be disappointed if they don't make an upset.
    - Manu is the X-factor in that Spurs team, and probably the most important player right now there. If he's not there, their championship chances are getting slimmer.
    - I'm not worried about the Lakers right now. I'll worry about them not making the next round if they are buried in the series by 3-1 against the Hornets.
    - There are no clear stronger teams in each matchup as every game 1 is very close. I would have said that the Heat are the most promising to easily get into the 2nd round, but Wade's health is uncertain still (he may miss practices and/or games due to illness).

I didn't see Portland/Dallas or Miami/Philly, but caught almost all of the rest.

what was the best game?
    I think our game was the most exciting, but Boston/NY was probably the best indicator of how close the rest of the series will be.

New Orleans controlling every aspect of the game against LA.

Chris Paul. He was incredibly in control. We may have to rethink how easily LA will get through them. If CP3 is this dominant the whole series it could go 7 games. I would still be shocked if they figure out a way to beat the Lakers though...

I also want to give a mention to Jermaine O'Neal. He was a force defensively taking charges, blocking and altering shots, and he played a smart efficient game on offense. Boston doesn't win without his contributions in the second half.

Zach Randolph too. You would never know which was the journey man who bounced from team to team and which was the former MVP with rings on the number 1 seed in that game. Zach looked better.

All the role players for LA. You have to assume that will change. Carmelo didn't look like the clutch player he has been for his whole career in the last NY possession. NY is going to need the closers to close for them to steal this series from Boston.

Kobe and Tim Duncan just weren't quite good enough.

Any other thoughts?
    If we take the Bulls to 6 games every series could easily be that long.

Vogel's huddles had me wanting to throw on a jersey and run through a brick wall.

Talk about a great way to inadvertently interview for the head coaching gig.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Vogel's huddles had me wanting to throw on a jersey and run through a brick wall.

Talk about a great way to inadvertently interview for the head coaching gig.
    This was the bad part of the volume not being up. Does anyone know a way to see/hear those huddles?

This was the bad part of the volume not being up. Does anyone know a way to see/hear those huddles?
    The best one was when we were in the middle of just getting ROLLED on the boards and Vogel goes, "WE'RE A BETTER REBOUNDING TEAM THAN THEM! *Points at Roy* Look at how big you are! *points at Tyler* You should be getting boards too! *Points at Danny and Paul* And you guys you're the tallest people on the wing! *Points at DC* And, uh, you'll get some rebounds too!"
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 04-18-2011 at 02:48 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: