Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hansbrough!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thumbs up Hansbrough!

If anyone pays attention to me, which is probly not the case you probly know that I was one of the rather small group supporters who loved the Hansbrough pick, when most were screaming that his game wouldn't translate to the pro level.

To me, it was ridiculous at the time for people to think that, but that was the consensus of many many basketball heads. Looking back, I'm guessing, or at least hoping, that a lot of people are now realizing that yes... that was a ridiculous notion (to think that he couldn't play at this level).

I understand why a lot of people did think it though... When it comes to body parts, the guy doesn't have an 8-foot wing-span, a 40-inch vertical, a 4.25 40 yard dash, but he has something 99% of players don't have and I feel like everyone was completely disregarding --- the heart of a champion. In fact, if you could measure that alone, I could argue that there are maybe 1-2 players in the entire NBA who have equal or more of that particular measurement (Kobe, Rose). Kobe and Rose have ridiculous physical gifts --- Hansbrough does not. He achieved everything he did through sheer determination and will. It's tremendous to think about.

If you were to follow Hansbrough on a purely virtual level through college, and not have access to actually visualize him, you'd think he was far and away a #1 pick, a sure-fire franchise player. Looking at his college stats and achievements, he was arguably the best college player in a decade.

The problem occurred when people looked at him. He's non-descript. He's not huge. He's not stupidly fast. He wasn't jumping out of the gym. He wasn't raining threes from halfcourt. He's just this... dude. This white dude who can't jump. And bam --- expectations lowered.

So it was no irony, to me, when another non-descript white dude who couldn't jump with generally-regarded non-athleticism but equally impressive college achievements (maybe even less) --- drafted him. Larry Bird said "I like this guy."

That should be enough for anyone to say "hey, you know what, I make the correlation, and if Bird likes this guy, he's legit." Instead --- everyone said horrible pick. Reach.

He started off his rookie year like any rookie, with little playing time, some bumps, a lot of adjustments to make, but we never really got to see the kid. Then the vertigo thing happened. Freak development... (and I happen to sympathize with Hansbrough on this because I too suffer from bouts of vertigo, and I know how much it can suck). I had a feeling that they would get it straightened out though, because my vertigo straightens out. It was just a matter of time.

When he finally recovered, I made the realization that the new hurdle for Hansbrough to cross was Jim O'Brien. About this time I was starting to really want to move on with a new coach for a ton of reasons (mainly for a better team system and new culture), but increased involvement for Hansbrough was one of those reasons, too.

Vogel was just what the doctor ordered. He did a lot of things right, imo, but one of them was putting more of the team on Hansbrough.

--------------
    Remember the 6-game losing streak that made the Pacers look like they could've been beaten by my little brother's AAU team? Think back to that stretch of hapless basketball. To that stretch of ball that put us back out of the playoffs, and had many people thinking "tank." Think back to the turning point when all looked lost... the mood changed.

It was Hansbrough. You could see it. When all the rest of the players were sleep-walking through a long series of unfortunate possessions and not seeming to care, it was Hansbrough who came in and without saying a word but using pure energy and determination told all of Pacers nation --- I'm not giving up. The rest of this Pacers nation probably has, but not me.

It was during the worst stretch of Pacers basketball that I can remember that Hansbrough showed his heart, by throwing out 17, 26, 21, 20, 29, and 30. When everyone else got worse, he got better, when no one thought he could. He can. Few players have this ability.

That's the heart of a champion. His level of play stirred everyone, from players to fans. And we played ourselves back into the playoffs the rest of the way. What if Tyler Hansbrough hadn't have happened? Would we be talking playoffs today?

When the experts were predicting that we'd be swept, I thought "you may be right". But there's one player that I can't count out. I was thinking, "It's the playoffs. Post season. That's Tyler Hansbrough time." You KNEW this guy was going to show up. This is where he made a living in college.

The Pacers came out and delivered a statement in Game 1, even if they did dominate the Bulls for all but 2.5 mins of the game only to lose it at the end. And while we had great contributions from many players, it was the play of Hansbrough that set the tone. His energy, scrappiness, will to win rippled throughout the entire team. His killer jumpshots were clutch. This 37-45 team wasn't supposed to be answering Chicago's runs, but here he was knocking down huge shot after huge shot. We weren't supposed to be leading by 10 with 3 to go, but there's Hansbrough coming back from being almost knocked unconscious to steal the ball at the top of the key (how often do you see a PF do that?) and thunder down the court for a huge dunk and-1 that sent the Chicago fans reeling. That happened with 3 minutes to go in a playoff game against the best team in the league on their home court. Don't think this guy has a killer instinct or the heart of a champion?

The rest of the game showed that this young team still needs to learn to close a game out, but you know everyone in that stadium, as Frank Vogel said, "doesn't want to play Tyler Hansbrough" anymore. Boozer doesn't wanna play Tyler Hansbrough. As ridiculous as that sounded to many a few months ago when Vogel declared it... it's not sounding so ridiculous now.

He's my new favorite Pacer, even if he doesn't have Michael Jordan's physical gifts. On top of his intrinsic gifts, he plays the game right, he is respectful, he never gives up, and he is going to represent the Pacers well. He's a championship level player, a guy who can contribute to a championship team and maybe even be a focal point. He's exactly what everyone thought he couldn't be.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 04-18-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hansbrough!

Great post Kid

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like how people talk about Rose having the heart of a champion and he gets compared with Kobe.

He hasn't even won a ****ing playoff series yet.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I don't watch much college basketball except for March Madness. So, I knew very little about Tyler Hansborough on draft night. But when I started hearing the announcers talk about his college stats and accomplishments, I figured I'd look the guy up online and see what all the fuss was about. I must admit, I was very impressed...

Four-time All-American. You don't accomplish such a feat unless you can really play basketball. People criticized him for being one of those players who doesn't score very many points from the field, but instead gets to the foul line and gets his points that way. Well, if you look at how many times Derrick Rose got to the line (atleast 21 times), is it any different? No, Tyler Hansborough won't score the ball using fancy, flashy moves, but he's as tough as they come and will fight for every possession. Next to Jeff Foster, he's the scrappiest player on the team.

Now, Tyler still needs to work on his game, specifically playing more under control and driving hard to the rim AND finishing, but I think he certainly has what it takes to be a force in this league.

I'm glad the Pacers got him. It's what this team has been missing since the Davis Boys left....someone who plays "smash-mouth basketball" and isn't afraid to get in their band throw his body around. But more important, he can score the ball.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 04-18-2011 at 11:04 AM.

In the short term I am anxious to see how he responds to the Bulls defense when they adjust.

But longterm, I've been a big fan of Tyler's since I first saw him play last season, and he's come a long way since then for sure. Anyone who plays as hard and tough as he does and has the skills he does is a keeper.

He's the type of player who I never worry about having trouble dealing with pressure of a big game. Although I was scared to death when he was laying on the floor last game and then almost fell in the tunnel all the while saying he was OK.

The big thing that impressed me was that he hit his first shot right after he went off. I almost didn't want to put him back in the game, not only because I was afraid he would hurt himself again, but because I didn't say anyway he'd continue to play at the level he was and assumed that his rhythm had been thrown off, but nope first shot after he comes back...buckets.

I was one of the people who wanted Hans to be on the Pacers on draft day. He even led the poll on Indystar as the most probable pick by the Pacers, but I was just surprised how so critical the people here on PD about Hans.

He didn't let me down. It's just a matter of time until he flourished as a big-time scorer. He may not be that consistent yet, but he's clearly evolving into a reliable scorer from down low to mid-range. All of his flaws can be worked on the next offseason, so imagine that he's contributing despite having very little training and having to lose games due to vertigo. He may not become a superstar-level player, but he can be a major piece for a championship team. He's like Manu Ginobli in terms of impact; plays somewhat unorthodox and intense, but when he clicks he's hard to stop and gives a big impact to games.

I might be imagining this or maybe hoping it to be true. But I think Tyler finally felt 100% comfortable because it was an intense playoff game. Almost like he realized while playing in the game yes now this is fun and this is what I live for. We'll see what happens from this point, but no reason why he shouldn't feel like the playoffs are made for his style of play because I think they are

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I agree Buck, the game slows down a bit, being able to hit a mid range jumper and trade blows with anyone really becomes a valuable trait in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I might be imagining this or maybe hoping it to be true. But I think Tyler finally felt 100% comfortable because it was an intense playoff game. Almost like he realized while playing in the game yes now this is fun and this is what I live for. We'll see what happens from this point, but no reason why he shouldn't feel like the playoffs are made for his style of play because I think they are
    Yip, I agree.

Some people are just made for the big stage & Tyler proved in game one that he was meant to be there.

I'll say what I've been saying since he has had his chance now, when he hits that 15-18' jumper he is a different beast altogether because teams absolutely have to adjust to him & if they don't he makes them pay.

I'm still not thrilled with his four rebounds, he HAS to improve there, but overall going into a playoff series I would rather have him on our team than not.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Banned

Kidd Minneapolis, I would not be suprised at all in Tyler Hansbrough won a league MVP in his career. I believe in him that much. I like his game more than Blake Griffen's.

As a lifetime Reggie Miller fanatic I don't mean to denegrate the man's amazing career, but Reggie Miller wouldn't be Reggie Miller if not for the playoffs and big games to prove himself. On Saturday watching Tyler reminded me of the way Reggie made me feel watching a playoff game. Nobody else on the team gave me that same feeling.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post:

Plus we didn't even get a consistent two halves of basketball from everyone. I thought DC and Roy carried us in the first half, and Danny and Tyler carried us in the second. It'd be nice if all four could put it together for the full 48 tonight.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bega View Post
    Kidd Minneapolis, I would not be suprised at all in Tyler Hansbrough won a league MVP in his career. I believe in him that much. I like his game more than Blake Griffen's.
    We are having a nice conversation here and then you come with the MVP talk

Good interview with Tyler here. Mentions that they need to focus on rebounding tonight.

http://www.1070thefan.com/gradyandjoe/podcast.aspx

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    We are having a nice conversation here and then you come with the MVP talk
    I stated my well documented opinion about Tyler. If you want to attack my opinion please send me a personal message and quit wasting other's time trying to belittle my opinion.

Thanks

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So I walk into work today and the first thing said to me is "the Pacers came that effing close. I want to get me a Tyler Hansbrough jersey."

This from a guy who only watches a few games a year and does not follow the NBA much at all. However, he has seen Tyler play a few times this year. Never saw him in college. But he immediately fell in love with the way Tyler plays. An intensity level that is unmatched.

Tyler is just one of those human beings that you should never bet against. Some people are just winners. Tyler and Charlie Sheen are those type of people.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    As a lifetime Reggie Miller fanatic I don't mean to denegrate the man's amazing career, but Reggie Miller wouldn't be Reggie Miller if not for the playoffs and big games to prove himself. On Saturday watching Tyler reminded me of the way Reggie made me feel watching a playoff game. Nobody else on the team gave me that same feeling.
    I dont think you denegrated Miller at all. Actually your post is very good and simple to understand. There would be no "Miller-Time" w/out those playoff games against the Knicks and Bulls. As a matter of fact, Reggie would not even be in the discussion for the HOF w/out those playoff moments.
    The post season, right or wrong, seem to define the player. If Tyler continues to answer the bell, he will put and end to once and for all the stupid notion that this team needs a PF. The only way we need a PF is if we lose Josh to FA. Then we need a backup for Tyler.

MVP? No way. Seriously come on

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    So I walk into work today and the first thing said to me is "the Pacers came that effing close. I want to get me a Tyler Hansbrough jersey."

This from a guy who only watches a few games a year and does not follow the NBA much at all. However, he has seen Tyler play a few times this year. Never saw him in college. But he immediately fell in love with the way Tyler plays. An intensity level that is unmatched.

Tyler is just one of those human beings that you should never bet against. Some people are just winners. Tyler and Charlie Sheen are those type of people.
    I actually won a Hansbrough autographed jersey at the viewing party on Saturday, but they announced it right after Korver hit that three so I was less than happy. Now, I'm pretty happy about it. Too bad it costs an arm and a leg for a decent frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    Tyler and Charlie Sheen are those type of people.
    OK we were having a great thread and someone brings up MVP and you bring Charlie Sheen into the conversation

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    OK we were having a great thread and someone brings up MVP and you bring Charlie Sheen into the conversation

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Was I the only one hoping that the last couple of possessions would go through Tyler's hands?

Regarding how I felt on draft night, I wanted Dejuan Blair or Ty Lawson but thought that Tyler would be a good player based on his high school and college success. I figured he would be a guy good enough to average 13 points and 8 rebounds a game in about 25-30 minutes a night.

The moment I started to change my view of him a little was in the game during his rookie season against the Bulls when he went right at and dunked on Noah with authority! He also had a great showing against the Spurs. I then started thinking he might be the solution at PF and figured he at least had enough ability to be a full-time starter.

The head injury and vertigo took all of that hope away. I was sure he wouldn't be able to play at his full level again. Any injury that keeps you off the floor for 6 months is one that could potentially be career changing if not career ending. I'm so glad that wasn't the case because like Blake Griffin it seems that sitting on the bench his rookie season and even through the first half of his second season (after a very impressive preseason) just made him hungrier and more driven to prove he could play and hang with the big boys in the league.

I'm glad things worked out the way they have with Tyler and I can't wait to see how good he'll be after a full summer of workouts and a full training camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Plus we didn't even get a consistent two halves of basketball from everyone. I thought DC and Roy carried us in the first half, and Danny and Tyler carried us in the second. It'd be nice if all four could put it together for the full 48 tonight.
    You really hit on a key point here.

DC played out of his mind in the first half. Roy started off very strong. Danny stepped it up in the 2nd half but was hurting us in the 1st.

If we can get 4 quarters of consistency from our starters, I think we can win against the Bulls every time we step out onto the floor. I think Game 1 showed that our "matchup problems" we supposedly have with the Bulls aren't as big as once thought if we are playing smart, tough basketball.

Our guys don't even necessarily need to play out of their minds good, they just need to be consistently solid, we can't give the Bulls lapses of time where the matchups suddenly wildly shift in their favor, I think that's the key to this series.

We shall see what tonight brings.

But getting back on topic of this specific thread, I fully expect the Bulls to adjust to Tyler tonight, and even if he isn't getting a dozen open 18 footers again, I am pretty damn sure he is going to find a way to affect the game positively.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bega View Post
    I stated my well documented opinion about Tyler. If you want to attack my opinion please send me a personal message and quit wasting other's time trying to belittle my opinion.

Thanks
    good luck with that

too many guys here that enjoy being a dick. which is too bad, things would be better with more positive commentary.