Thread: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the First Game

Undefeated

Default Peck's Odd Thoughts on the First Game

Just read Peck's odd thoughts, and wanted to comment that I really enjoyed it and it made me feel guilty for feeling so depressed after the first game.

Still having trouble shaking the feeling of doom about the game tonight, but what the hell, I'm going to enjoy it and can't wait for it to start!

This maybe didn't deserve a new thread, but wanted to say Peck keep up the good work, and Go Pacers!
    Danger Zone

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Peck's Odd Thoughts on the First Game

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just read Peck's odd thoughts, and wanted to comment that I really enjoyed it and it made me feel guilty for feeling so depressed after the first game.

Still having trouble shaking the feeling of doom about the game tonight, but what the hell, I'm going to enjoy it and can't wait for it to start!

This maybe didn't deserve a new thread, but wanted to say Peck keep up the good work, and Go Pacers!
    No need to feel guilty about being depressed after that game, that's why it took me hours to even begin to write it.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

If it makes any difference, I found these tidbits from the Pacers' "Caught in the Web" segment today very interesting concerning the Pacers/Bulls regular season stats:

From Issue #2:

The Pacers have outscored the Bulls 168-144 in the first three quarters of their last two meetings.

The Bulls have outscored the Pacers 62-33 in the fourth.
    This illustrates that the Pacers can play against the Bulls and have been on the verge of pulling off victories against them if not for late 4th qrt let downs. Experienced teams know how to grind out the win. The Pacers are close...very close.

From Issue #1:

The Pacers had the Bulls down by 10 with 3:38 remaining and didnít make another basket, missing their final eight shots as Rose carried Chicago to the tape with a 16-1 run. It was eerily similar to the previous meeting on March 18 in Conseco Fieldhouse, when Rose scored 19 of the team's final 20 to bring the Bulls back from a 15-point fourth-quarter deficit to force overtime.

In those two games, Rose tallied 81 points -- with 37 coming from the free-throw line. He shot 42 percent (21 of 50), made just 2-of-17 from the 3-point line and totaled eight assists and nine turnovers.
    Defending without fouling has been a problem all year, but this is way out of whack. Rose averaged 6.9 free-throw attempts during the regular season.
    Force Rose to be a jump shooter and you render him ineffective. Difficult to do, but if the Pacers' Bigs can box out better and our Guard can defend him at the point of attack, they can limit his affectiveness. Again, hard to do, but not impossible. You're not going to render Rose scoreless; but you can slow him down some. Keeping him under 25 pts is key.

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    If it makes any difference, I found these tidbits from the Pacers' "Caught in the Web" segment today very interesting concerning the Pacers/Bulls regular season stats:

From Issue #2:

This illustrates that the Pacers can play against the Bulls and have been on the verge of pulling off victories against them if not for late 4th qrt let downs. Experienced teams know how to grind out the win. The Pacers are close...very close.

From Issue #1:

Force Rose to be a jump shooter and you render him ineffective. Difficult to do, but if the Pacers' Bigs can box out better and our Guard can defend him at the point of attack, they can limit his affectiveness. Again, hard to do, but not impossible. You're not going to render Rose scoreless; but you can slow him down some. Keeping him under 25 pts is key.
    His jumpshot is better than that, but beating him up (the good way) and tiring him out seem to help.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From Issue #2:

From Issue #1:

ya Drose going 2-17 from 3pt land isnt gonna happen again. He is a good 3pt shooter now. Everyone has off nights shooting and that was his. To bad we didnt take advantage.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Interestingly, I recall that this was the case in the later years against the Jordan Bulls - we would be able to take a lead in the first half and even hold it but then we'd get ground down in the 4th quarter.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Force Rose to be a jump shooter and you render him ineffective. Difficult to do, but if the Pacers' Bigs can box out better and our Guard can defend him at the point of attack, they can limit his affectiveness.
    I know others have pointed out Rose has become a decent jump shooter, but as Nuff has ponited out I would rather Rose take those 20ft or longer shots over going to the rim + 1.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post: