Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Official Danny Granger Appreciation Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Official Danny Granger Appreciation Thread

I don't know how anyone in their right mind can say Granger is a disappointment with the 17th pick.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Obviously what we need is to trade Danny for Pooh Richardson and Sam Mitchell. Then trade Tyler for Derek McKey and we're set for a title run!

Seriously though, love Granger, and he actually had a pretty darn good game yesterday if you'll recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know how anyone in their right mind can say Granger is a disappointment with the 17th pick.
    Who said that? It can't be argued that he was anything but a steal at 17.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    thats what i mean. if these guys end up being better than danny, its going to devalue danny. right now he is on a high.
    Danny will still have a valuable role on this team. He is a great shooter and can be a great defender. With less of an offensive load his defense should pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    True. But that's pretty irrelevant '6 years into' his career.

if his ego will be able to handle that, i'm all for it. but i'm not sure he will accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Danny will still have a valuable role on this team. He is a great shooter and can be a great defender. With less of an offensive load his defense should pick up.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

I don't know about you guys but I love how MG, the Pacers PA announcer says Danny's name after he scores.

There's by DG appeciation there and MG too.

Danny is a huge player for us. We couldn't be where we are now if it wasn't for Danny scoring at will.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Mood

Sports Logo

Danny Granger is our best player, and deserves to remain with this team as much as the next player whom we drafted and grew and developed into a star player (ahem). After seeing his behavior on the court a few months ago (and since then), I've been turned off on keeping him around simply because he's not leader material, and his attitude is not that of a star-caliber player. He is able to bounce out of a slump mid-game, going from horrible play in the first half, to worthy-of-our-star-quality performance in the second half.

But do you really want to keep someone around who, at Danny's age and experience, can't lead an entire team of first-through-third-year players, with some exceptions? The core of this team is already much younger and less experienced than him, and it's going going to stay that way. If he can't step up into the position of leader, then we need to find someone (not Foster, Dahntay, or Posey) who can be our veteran and lead us properly.

Also, for someone who's been in the league for as long as Granger has, he needs to stop *****ing at refs on bad plays, stop slugging around the court, stop carrying his stupid emotions on his shoulders/sleeves, and just play basketball. You can watch him get hateful on the court and start playing a different kind of Granger basketball, one associated with crybabies and wimps. He needs to step up and realize that he's not a superstar, he's not getting superstar calls, unless he starts playing like a superstar. Nothing he does on the court shows evidence of deserving to be treated like a great player, when he can't even stop acting like a *****, and play professional basketball.

Granger deserves all the accolades given to him by PD. But as our only star player, he needs to start acting like one before he starts playing like one. I don't want to trade him as much as some do, but if we got a much younger, much more professional Steph Curry or Eric Gordon out of a trade using Granger, I think it would be better. Yes, I'd rather see them on the same team, because he's an asset I don't think we can afford to lose, but don't get attached to him just because you "have to" as a fan.

This is me looking past being a homer for once. I do appreciate Granger in all that he does for our team. Trust me. But if he doesn't get his attitude together, and focus his energy on playing, not *****ing at refs, then how is he any better than any other player we can get?
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

I can remember Danny's first game in the NBA and his frist shot was a running jump shot that hit the backboard and went in. ( I might be wrong ). The announcers and the fans were so happy for him . We had so much expectations for him. I personally think he has answered . It is hard for me to believe that after this long and all what he has accomplished there is some Pacers fan dont think he is not good enough.

if his ego will be able to handle that, i'm all for it. but i'm not sure he will accept it.
    I'm sure he can accept that. I mean, when the offense started to focus on Roy, I have never heard Danny complained. Same when Tyler had his 20-pt consecutive scoring nights. He even said that if Mayo arrived in the team he wouldn't mind having another scorer to help him (no source, but I actually seen it in one article).

We have seen him defer to his teammates. We have seen games wherein he was not shooting as much as before and letting his teammates do the damage on offense. It is pretty obvious in game 1, with most of the points scattered on the other starters.

The best quote I can think of is,Dont throw the baby out with the bathwater. Granger is one of the best SF. in the NBA, why trade him?

MIP for 2013-2014 season docpaul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I've noticed a recurring theme that, when a player fails to live up to a fan's expectations, that player tends to become a scapegoat. Everything good he does on the floor is virtually ignored, and all the bad things he does are put under a microscope. I noticed this especially with Jermaine O'Neal, and now, Danny Granger has become "that guy."

No, Danny is not a "superstar" in the same echelon as LeBron James, Dwight Howard, etc. In fact, he's even regressed a bit from a couple of seasons ago (I put a lot of blame for that on He Whose Name Shall Not Be Written, but that's a rant for another time), but for the 17th pick in the draft, he's still a hell of a player.

I'm just trying to keep things in perspective before we move on to the "Paul George isn't a superstar, please trade him" era.
    I just don't get it. The guy is the *only* veteran on the team capable of playing real minutes, is by anyone's definition one of the better starters in the league, has a reasonable contract, and is not a bonehead...

But if he doesn't carry the team, he has failed? I kind of feel bad for him in a way, but then when I think about his attitude, I don't think he's feeling sorry for himself. Give him some time, he'll continue to age like a fine wine IMO. Wait till he refocuses on his post game in the offseason... look out.

MIP for 2013-2014 season docpaul's Avatar

I really appreciated Danny's demeanor in the post-game conference.

Totally dissatisfied with the loss, no moral victories, yet engaging... shall we say, leader-like?

You all should go watch it if you have a chance.

Like, REGGIE FOR 3!!! cgehlhausen4's Avatar

So we are talking Danny Granger. They guy people want to think is a superstar. Thats the problem. Everyone expects him to be something he isn't. Hes a Good shooter and descent off the dribble. His defense is above average and his rebounding is descent. If you want him to be lebron, forget it. Hes close to Mello, with less offense but better defense. Granger could average nearly 26 points every year, like he did a couple years ago. His problem is a lack of a low post threat. Hibbert is descent. I love the guy, but for a man who is 7'2 he cant push hardly anyone around. If he gained some weight who knows what could happen. If he could be a legit, consistant 18ppg from the post scorer then I think Danny averages 25+ and shoots a better percentage. Danny Doesn't get great looks inside the arc. He will get open 3's often because of the way the offense is set up, but those aren't high percentage shots. If hibbert could control the paint like a Dwight Howard(or even 75% of a Howard) than danny would get alot of open looks and when he drives in defenders wouldn't be able to leave Roy to help him. Also the lack of talent around him hurts. Rush, I think could be a great player. He just seems to be lost. People play off of him to crowed the middle for Granger. Ya Rush will hit but not often enough and he needs to work on his driving. Collison is looking good and I believe he is the answer at point. Hes young and will only get better. He outplayed Rose for a quarter in game one. Tyler is looking great, but again hes a shooter. He can get some inside off the dribble but hes not a post player. All these shooters just crowed the mid and outer part of the court. That makes it hard to drive because you have no room to get a head of steam. My Wildcard is Paul George. I seen this guy play in college and at times in the season he looked great. He has excellent defense. He almost always has 3 steals a game. Hes got great size, speed and ups. He is a good shooter but i think he is just adjusting to the NBA. Now that hes starting he will get more confidence. I think in 4 years he can be one of the top players in the NBA, just by looking at his body and skill set. Thats if he has the right coach and system to learn. Being optimistic, Pacers in 7 games. Realistic, Bulls in 6. I hope we can pull a miracle this post season, but I cant wait to see what we do on the offseason. We are a couple pieces away from a legit contender. GO PACERS!
    Craig "The Coon" Gehlhausen

Mood

thats what i mean. if these guys end up being better than danny, its going to devalue danny. right now he is on a high.
    But if that means Granger is our 3rd best player, GREAT! That probably means we're a very good team. Keep him in that scenario.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

if the chemistry is good, i agree.

tell you what - by location you have more access than do i. i'd like to know if you come into mike wells, or if you know yourself, "does danny disrupt the team's chemistry"?

i'm not suggesting he disrupts it intentionally. this is an honest question, not one borne of rhetoric.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I was having an off-the-record conversation with an esteemed sportswriter at an event we were both working, talking about the Pacers. He said that Granger should be a better player than he is, but has just about the worst shot selection in the league. This was back in March. I watched Granger over the rest of that month and couldn't get that idea out of my head: bad shot selection. Granger really is prone to stretches where he takes a lot of terrible shots. He's good enough to see them in a lot of times, but he'll also go cold and continue taking bad shots.

I'm not saying this sportswriter is God of Basketball or that my opinion is any more or less correct than yours. But I really do believe that Granger has regrettable shot selection, and gets really selfish with the ball even when he's cold. That said, I have been impressed with his willingness to step up his defense to close out the season and hopefully into the playoffs here. My main gripe about Granger during the season was his refusal to play defense, when everyone knew he was a completely capable defender.
    For three and a half seasons we had a coach that encouraged this sort of shot selection. I feel like this has already improved some under Vogel, and I hope it continues when the new coach (Vogel or whoever) has a chance to do a training camp and really hammer home some new offensive philosophies.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    For three and a half seasons we had a coach that encouraged this sort of shot selection. I feel like this has already improved some under Vogel, and I hope it continues when the new coach (Vogel or whoever) has a chance to do a training camp and really hammer home some new offensive philosophies.
    I absolutely agree.

Danny's shot selection has been bad this year and last, but I don't remember it being a problem before that. At one point, his excellent shot selection was one of his strengths.

I'm definitely with you that he's gotten better under Vogel, and I'd like to see what happens with more coaching.

EDIT: Wow, I said "this year and last" off the top of my head, but go look at the numbers:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/danny_...eer_stats.html
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Teams trade their best player for one of three reasons. Either they have cap problems, they fear losing them to free agency or the player is a knuckle head. We dont have any of those problems with Danny Granger.

The front office should be focused on building around what is already here. Bird will try to add as much as he can to this group while taking minimal losses. My only problem with Danny is that he isnt a "closer", besides that he is a complete player IMO.

I think we can move into ghe future with Danny as our best player but we must have someone on the team who is just as good but they must be a better closer.

Lebron=Best Heat Player
    D Wade=Better Closer than Lebron.

I think what a lot of you are missing is the reason people want to trade Granger. It isn't because he isn't living up to expectations, and no one wants to trade him just to trade him. What people see is a player who is not as good as he was 2 or 3 years ago who struggles with giving 100% effort. No one wants to trade him just to trade him, we want to get someone better for him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I think what a lot of you are missing is the reason people want to trade Granger. It isn't because he isn't living up to expectations, and no one wants to trade him just to trade him. What people see is a player who is not as good as he was 2 or 3 years ago who struggles with giving 100% effort. No one wants to trade him just to trade him, we want to get someone better for him.
    Why would a team trade a better player than Danny for Danny?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Why would a team trade a better player than Danny for Danny?
    Because it would obviously not be Danny for (player of choice) straight up. It would be Danny + draft pick/Rush/whatever for (player of choice).

I will never in my life complain about having a guy on my team that averages 20 points, plays good defense (thought he could be better there), and stays out of trouble. When we get or develop that other guy that teams have to really watch out for, then I will have that much more fun watching Granger play. Watch his shooting percentages go back up too.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Evan_The_Dude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers will be like a Government Bail Out program for teams because of all the capspace we'll have. Lets see what happens with that before we go shipping Danny out.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    The Pacers will be like a Government Bail Out program for teams because of all the capspace we'll have. Lets see what happens with that before we go shipping Danny out.
    I don't disagree, I don't want to trade Danny just to trade him, I only want to trade him to make the team better. Right now there are better ways to do that than trading Granger.