Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Official Danny Granger Appreciation Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Official Danny Granger Appreciation Thread

I've noticed a recurring theme that, when a player fails to live up to a fan's expectations, that player tends to become a scapegoat. Everything good he does on the floor is virtually ignored, and all the bad things he does are put under a microscope. I noticed this especially with Jermaine O'Neal, and now, Danny Granger has become "that guy."

No, Danny is not a "superstar" in the same echelon as LeBron James, Dwight Howard, etc. In fact, he's even regressed a bit from a couple of seasons ago (I put a lot of blame for that on He Whose Name Shall Not Be Written, but that's a rant for another time), but for the 17th pick in the draft, he's still a hell of a player.

I'm just trying to keep things in perspective before we move on to the "Paul George isn't a superstar, please trade him" era.

2. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: The Official Danny Granger Appreciation Thread

Pretty lame that we have to have an "appreciation" thread to add to the drama of this team. No thanks.

shadely,

this is an interesting concept you bring up - singling out players that don't meet expectations. to some degree these players - JO and Granger deserved and deserve criticism.

my question - Why do you think Reggie never became a scapegoat?

while i personally think danny granger bears a lion's share of some of the shortcomings related to this team, i have no qualms admitting that he has some redeemable qualities as witnessed in the second half of yesterday's match. for this i have no problem in showing appreciation.

your buddy,
    kauffie.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've noticed a recurring theme that, when a player fails to live up to a fan's expectations, that player tends to become a scapegoat. Everything good he does on the floor is virtually ignored, and all the bad things he does are put under a microscope. I noticed this especially with Jermaine O'Neal, and now, Danny Granger has become "that guy."

No, Danny is not a "superstar" in the same echelon as LeBron James, Dwight Howard, etc. In fact, he's even regressed a bit from a couple of seasons ago (I put a lot of blame for that on He Whose Name Shall Not Be Written, but that's a rant for another time), but for the 17th pick in the draft, he's still a hell of a player.

I'm just trying to keep things in perspective before we move on to the "Paul George isn't a superstar, please trade him" era.
    Granger played a great, GREAT, game! I'm nothing but proud of him.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ensergio For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Thank you Shade.

I saw yesterday just how important Danny was to Chicago's defense. Every time he touched the ball he was pressured by Luol Deng and Joakim would take their side of the floor so that it would take away his drive. On top of that, a wing or point guard was ready to double Danny for when he put the ball on the floor.

When we get help for Danny, teams can't do that. When it's one on one, Danny will be a pain in the *** for NBA defenses.

Danny is going to make a name for himself over the next 6-10 years in the Playoffs.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 04-17-2011 at 10:27 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    shadely,

this is an interesting concept you bring up - singling out players that don't meet expectations. to some degree these players - JO and Granger deserved and deserve criticism.

while i personally think danny granger bears a lion's share of some of the shortcomings related to this team, i have no qualms admitting that he has some redeemable qualities as witnessed in the second half of yesterday's match. for this i have no problem in showing appreciation.

your buddy,
    kauffie.
    I wouldn't say Reggie was necessarily ever a scapegoat but some people did start calling for him to be traded in the years subsequent to our Finals run. I think really the only reason he wasn't traded before that is because guys back in the 90's weren't under as much fan scrutiny. Places like Pacers Digest where fans could meet up and dissect every aspect of every player's game simply didn't exist.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

He played his heart out, he never pointed fingers at anyone except himself, he kept working and getting better ............ he did everything that people who appreciate basketball expect.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

I'm by no means a knee-jerk, Granger defender. When it comes to
    DG, at best, I'm an agnostic.

But, when considering the calls to trade him, contrasting that
    to the lack of same with respect to Reggie Miller, I'll ask this:

Does anyone even remember the 'pre-Larry Brown' Reggie ? When
    remembering his career, don't most probably think of him from 1995-
    the early-2000's ?

Personally, I didn't care for him or his game at all until Brown showed
    up and taught and forced him to expand his offensive game and play
    hard on 'both ends'.

In Granger's defense, he is only in his 6th season which would
    fall into the tailend of Reggie's pre-Brown zone.

Again, I'm no big DG fan. But he has plenty of time to evolve and
    grow as a player. Hopefully, TPTB can find an HC who commands
    enough respect (or instills enough fear via allocating playing time
    based on playing 'the right way') to induce DG (and others on the
    Pacers) to follow Reggie's career path.
    Last edited by The Jackson shimmy; 04-17-2011 at 11:22 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Jackson shimmy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    He played his heart out, he never pointed fingers at anyone except himself, he kept working and getting better ............ he did everything that people who appreciate basketball expect.
    True enough, but I remember a lot of us over the years griping that he wasn't a vocal enough leader, and leading by example only got you so far.

Then he got grief for officially deferring to Jalen then the same with JO.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

I'm not a Granger fan at all but posting all of this after yesterday's game is just odd timing. He didn't play great down the stretch but his defense was better than expected and he made some important baskets.

Banned

I can't wait until we finally get a number 1 option so people can stop crying about Danny, again he is who he is and is the only thing he have, be happy that we at least have a Robin in place for the Batman to be added(trades or free agency) or Paul George development.

I hate the trade Danny crap. Who are you going to trade Danny for that is better then he is? Danny is good enough to be right below the best players in the league.

One thing that I have noticed, and I put this completely on the coaches, (especially job) is that Danny is actually pretty good in the post. He's more PF then he is SG and for some reason the coaches always do iso plays for him, but expect for him to beat his man off the dribble off speed and dribbling ability. This is just setting him up to lose imo. Why they don't post him up more, especially at the end of games, I'll never understand. . .

Mood

The only reason to trade Danny is if you think you can get an equally good player at a position of greater need than SF.

Otherwise, you add more pieces to play with him and then enjoy the quality of your roster as it wins more than it loses.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

or for prospects / low number draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The only reason to trade Danny is if you think you can get an equally good player at a position of greater need than SF.

Otherwise, you add more pieces to play with him and then enjoy the quality of your roster as it wins more than it loses.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

I want to add another star to play with Danny.

Paul has the potential to be a really good wing to play next to Danny and he hasn't been a bad option so far though he needs a lot of work.

If we want to bring in another star like Monta Ellis, Eric Gordon, etc. it might be difficult to not give up Danny to get a guy like that.

I'd still keep OJ Mayo in mind. He's a pretty realistic option and can get back to being the solid wing he was in his rookie years.

Mood

or for prospects / low number draft picks.
    You think someone wants to give those up for Granger? Who would that be?

But even if you do, why would we want yet more rookies now? We have plenty of youth. It's time to start looking to acquire and develop some veteran players.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackson shimmy View Post
    I'm by no means a knee-jerk, Granger defender. When it comes to
    DG, at best, I'm an agnostic.

But, when considering the calls to trade him, contrasting that
    to the lack of same with respect to Reggie Miller, I'll ask this:

Does anyone even remember the 'pre-Larry Brown' Reggie ? When
    remembering his career, don't most probably think of him from 1995-
    the early-2000's ?

Personally, I didn't care for him or his game at all until Brown showed
    up and taught and forced him to expand his offensive game and play
    hard on 'both ends'.

In Granger's defense, he is only in his 6th season which would
    fall into the tailend of Reggie's pre-Brown zone.

Again, I'm no big DG fan. But he has plenty of time to evolve and
    grow as a player. Hopefully, TPTB can find an HC who commands
    enough respect (or instills enough fear via allocating playing time
    based on playing 'the right way') to induce DG (and others on the
    Pacers) to follow Reggie's career path.
    Very good point, that to be honest never occurred to me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm one of Danny's biggest supporters on here. He gets a lot of undeserved hate on here and its ashame. Danny is not only a damn good basketball player, but he's been a good person too. It is very similar to the grief people gave JO, even though JO was a great player for us. I think its most likely due to not having the success we had with Reggie. And that doesn't really fall on Danny as this roster is finally turning into something that is decent. If we can get a good trade like Hicks said, then yes you do it. Its that way with any player. But right now Danny is our best player. That doesn't mean you need to crucify him for it. The fact is that right now, this roster is far from perfect. Its far from the potential it can reach. Right now Danny is our best player. In two years, he might not be our second best player. He's holding things together right now, keeping us from being a bottom dweller team. Some of you would rather that early lotto pick, but I like this playoff experience we are gaining much more.

There is a lot to like about Granger in both ability and how he goes about his business. If there weren't, he wouldn't have made the all-star team. He is, without a doubt, the franchise player on this particular team. With that said, I will leave it right there since this is an appreciation thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    You think someone wants to give those up for Granger? Who would that be?

But even if you do, why would we want yet more rookies now? We have plenty of youth. It's time to start looking to acquire and develop some veteran players.
    Hmm, interesting point. I agree that we need to develop players - yes. But I think the only way to get a #1 option, which we clearly may never actually be successful at, would be through the draft or a young young raw player.

Who? Someone who needs a Robin-esque type of player. Maybe a strong defensive team who needs a scorer. Maybe a team like Portland in the early part of last decade who needed experience for inexperience (DD-JO).

I think personally Danny MIGHT hinder the development of the youth movement.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    In two years, he might not be our second best player.
    Sell high, buy low?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sell high, buy low?
    I mean that someone like Paul George could very well end up being a better player than Danny. Honestly if Hibbert reaches his potential, he could be better than Danny too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

If there is anyone on this team that gets hated on for not reaching his potential it isn't Granger, but Rush. The reason people "hate" on Granger is because we know he is better than he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I mean that someone like Paul George could very well end up being a better player than Danny. Honestly if Hibbert reaches his potential, he could be better than Danny too.
    thats what i mean. if these guys end up being better than danny, its going to devalue danny. right now he is on a high.

I was having an off-the-record conversation with an esteemed sportswriter at an event we were both working, talking about the Pacers. He said that Granger should be a better player than he is, but has just about the worst shot selection in the league. This was back in March. I watched Granger over the rest of that month and couldn't get that idea out of my head: bad shot selection. Granger really is prone to stretches where he takes a lot of terrible shots. He's good enough to see them in a lot of times, but he'll also go cold and continue taking bad shots.

I'm not saying this sportswriter is God of Basketball or that my opinion is any more or less correct than yours. But I really do believe that Granger has regrettable shot selection, and gets really selfish with the ball even when he's cold. That said, I have been impressed with his willingness to step up his defense to close out the season and hopefully into the playoffs here. My main gripe about Granger during the season was his refusal to play defense, when everyone knew he was a completely capable defender.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post: