Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Bulls Vs. Pacers Game 1

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Bulls Vs. Pacers Game 1

We need to do a better job not overreacting to movement on the inside. That is what often lead to their offensive rebounds.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In order to get Roy some more touches, we should shoot more airballs.

I watched all the games this past weekend and one of the announcers said that the home team rebounds airballs like 97% of the time. Have no recollection which game that was on

That was our game Buck. Barry said the offensive team gets the rebound off airballs 99.3% of the time. I didn't see anyway that is actually accurate.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm surprised we didn't see some Inferno on DRose, even if for a little bit of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    That was our game Buck. Barry said the offensive team gets the rebound off airballs 99.3% of the time. I didn't see anyway that is actually accurate.

Maybe he was joking?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Maybe he was joking?
    I couldn't really tell

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Maybe he was joking?
    That was the impression I got, however as Trader Joe said it was kind of hard to tell because he said it so matter of factly.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agreed with almost everything your wrote, Peck. However, I didn't think that Paul George was very effective guarding Derrick Rose. He bothered his jumper because of his length and ability to get a hand in his face but when Rose put the ball on the floor, he blew by PG like he was standing still.

The Pacers are going to have to dare Rose to shoot the 3 point shot/long jumper and make him beat them from the perimeter. I'm also wondering if the Pacers should just abandon the idea of trapping him because his way too quick and just focus on everyone else and force Rose to beat them from the perimeter. He's so good he still might score 39 on them from out there but they can't allow him to get that first step on them time and time again like they did in Game 1.

Overall, I was proud of the Pacers in game 1 and I expected them to lose. I never dreamed that they would be up 10 points in the fourth quarter or hold the lead for 47 minutes of the game. It sure would've been sweet if they could've pull off the upset but I'm still overjoyed at how well the starters played on the big stage in their first postseason game (Danny's first postseason game as a starter). The future is bright for this Pacers squad. They're just one dynamic slasher/scorer away from being a contender.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 04-18-2011 at 12:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I couldn't really tell
    He was talking about air balls that don't land out of bounds and he wasn't joking at all. He said it's a proven fact.

He seemed to be right base on the Pacers vs. Bulls game. There were about 3-4 air balls that fit that criteria in that game and each one was grabbed by the offensive team.
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

When Rose ripped the ball out of Tyler's hands one time, I finally realized that Jones would fair no better.

Rose is STRONG. And so quickness is our only tool against his penetrating strength. We have to get a charge on him.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    He was talking about air balls that don't land out of bounds and he wasn't joking at all. He said it's a proven fact.

He seemed to be right base on the Pacers vs. Bulls game. There were about 3-4 air balls that fit that criteria in that game and each one was grabbed by the offensive team.

But most ORebs were grabbed by them. I think he was hyperbolic with the statement. But more often times than not the offensive team grabs the airball if it does not go out of bounds.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I swear he said it shouldn't have been called a foul because it wasn't intentional, too.
    I remember that clearly, it was something to the effect of "That wasn't intentional, I don't think it should even have been called"

I remember looking at the replay and seeing that arm sweep to clear Tyler away and thinking "there is no way that's incidental contact."
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I remember that clearly, it was something to the effect of "That wasn't intentional, I don't think it should even have been called"
    Yeah, I thought it was pretty appalling in terms of an announcer clearly showing some bias.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty appalling in terms of an announcer clearly showing some bias.
    Man, I'm glad BDub's didn't have the volume turned up. Anyone know who is doing our game tonight?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

In Kurt Thomas' defense, he was looking the opposite direction when he inadvertently hit Tyler with the elbow. It wasn't a measured move to where he swung the elbow to make Tyler back up. I don't think he saw him or even knew he was in the vicinity.

That's definitely a foul though and for Barry to say otherwise was just stupid. I also thought Kurt's complaining to the referee while Tyler was knocked cold to the floor was equally stupid.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    In Kurt Thomas' defense, he was looking the opposite direction when he inadvertently hit Tyler with the elbow. It wasn't a measured move to where he swung the elbow to make Tyler back up. I don't think he saw him or even knew he was in the vicinity.
    Look at the replay again. It wasn't a matter of Tyler coming into the range of motion for the elbow while Thomas went up for the ball. Thomas was sweeping his arm back to clear Tyler (or whatever defender might be coming) away from the rebound.

Yes, I agree the elbow was inadvertent. But no, the hit was not, nor was it incidental.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

I need to synch up the radio, if Barry does another game. They couldn't even follow the game action, since they were too busy with pre thought-out speeches on the Bulls/Rose greatness.

Really, it would be nice to at least know how many fouls a guy has who just picked one up. At least pay a little attention to the action.

Best comment I saw was on the Hansbrough/Kurt Thomas deal, when Barry said I think you can either call that a foul or just let it go. Someone tweeted, in what MMA?

Mood

You are right. He said that it, "could have easily not have been called...Bennet Salvatore saw him go down and made the call".

Kurt pushed him baseline and as Tyler tried to move into the rebound got caught. It was a good call.

And most of the calls were good. I think officiating this was not as bad as it could have been. We legitimately did not draw a charge. Rose grazed us as he side stepped or he shot through the lane before the player can stop his movement towards Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    And most of the calls were good. I think officiating this was not as bad as it could have been. We legitimately did not draw a charge. Rose grazed us as he side stepped or he shot through the lane before the player can stop his movement towards Rose.
    As I've said, I have no problems with a no offensive foul call on the Rose grazes. I have huge problems with the defensive foul call.
    BillS

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

How about a one-two strategy where the first defender sets up to draw the charge. Rose, who always likes to go right, tries to "graze" him, only to have another defender step up to THAT spot and draw the charge.

That probably leaves three guys wide open, but, hey, I'm searchin' for answers.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    As I've said, I have no problems with a no offensive foul call on the Rose grazes. I have huge problems with the defensive foul call.

The Dunleavy foul, was a foul. But if that was called, then the Darren play was a foul.

Wade got similar calls when the Heat won it all.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    How about a one-two strategy where the first defender sets up to draw the charge. Rose, who always likes to go right, tries to "graze" him, only to have another defender step up to THAT spot and draw the charge.

That probably leaves three guys wide open, but, hey, I'm searchin' for answers.
    the pacers may have tried that already. on the 3 pointer by korver that broke the game open. darren was guarding korver and left him early to go inside. i couldn't tell from the TV, but it looked like he left early and on purpose to go inside to give additional bodies in the paint. unfortunatly korver was open and rose got him the ball for the 3pt shot. couldn't tell if danny was supposed to rotate to cover or just got caught having to guard 2 guys.

but my point is vogel may have tried that by putting more bodies in the paint.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just to chime in, Barry did say "90 something %" thing about offensive rebounds, I couldn't tell if he was joking or not.

Barry did say that the Thomas elbow to the head, paraphrased "should not have been called a foul because it was not on purpose" I watched it twice. A really moronic thing to say, especially when Tyler was on the ground face down looking like he maybe be knocked out and could possibly be hurt really bad.

With Barry and that other guy we really got the bottom of the barrel amongst commentators.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    But most ORebs were grabbed by them. I think he was hyperbolic with the statement. But more often times than not the offensive team grabs the airball if it does not go out of bounds.
    I took the made up stat as his attempt at some Bill Walton-style hyperbole. Say something so ridiculous as seriously as possible to throw your colleague off his routine.
    Spoiler Spoiler: