Thread: Positive takeways from Game one loss

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Positive takeways from Game one loss

Things to be positive about:

1. Tyler Hansbrough is making a name for himself. There's regular basketball and there's big time basketball. Tyler is showing up for the big time, and we really shouldn't be surprised. He is a proven commodity on this account, and this is precisely why Bird drafted him. (On this same note, AJ Price has also shown up in big games in college. I'd like to see him play down the stretch.)

2. Tyler's media star power gives us a little something to compete with regarding the Rose love fest. (I watched the game at a sports bar in Maryland. Some guy said, "Indiana who?" He wasn't familiar with the Pacers. Then he saw Tyler's face on the screen. "Oh, there's that Hansbrough kid.")

3. The Bulls may get lulled to sleep. The next time we get a lead in the 4th quarter, they may assume they will simply pull it out down the stretch. But maybe not.

4. Frank Vogel seems like a pretty darn good coach.

5. We just gave the best team in the league their money's worth. We belong in the playoffs.

6. Paul George and several other young players are getting bona fide playoff experience.

7. We are not backing down. Tyler resurrected from the head wound. Vogel got a tech for a good reason. Tyler smashmouthed a Rose drive and did not back down from Luol Deng's pitiful push and technical foul. They will not win simply from intimidation and reputation.

8. This near win was ON THE ROAD. We have another chance Monday, then two chances at home. Go Pacers.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 04-16-2011 at 09:21 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Positive takeways from Game one loss

Great post.

It's nice to see some positive things instead of people constantly bashing the team.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I needed a post like this

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ApNeDtRiEeW For This Useful Post:

Now they know what the playoffs are like. Great education today.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i still haven't given up on the series yet. we will be ready come game two. even though today's game was heartbreaking, playoff teams typically put losses like that in the rearview mirror, and come out strong the next game. if i were a bulls fan, i would be worried. Roy didn't back down from Noah's intensity. Boozer can't handle Tyler. their offense minus rose isn't much to rely on. Danny shouldn't have been given any grief for his comment. it was totally true.

stay positive people. we are still in this thing.

We walked up to the biggest, most popular kid on the playground and punched him square in the nose. We didnt break the nose, we didnt even make his nose bleed but it hurts like hell and his eyes are filled with water.

We may not have shocked the world today but we damn sure put the Bulls on notice. We lost, we'll adjust. They won and they MUST regroup.

PS Frank Vogel is good for this team.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Mood

The loss hurt like a kick in the gut, but the 46 minutes before it all went to heck was insanely awesome! I loved seeing my team back in the playoffs and competing!

To win a game in this series, it's going to take great play from DC like we saw today, a little bit better performance from Hibbert, IMO, and someone needs to grab a few more rebounds. The defense looked good, except no one can stop Rose. But, that's why he's MVP. We'll steal a game (maybe two) in this series. In the long run, the star power is still > than the learning, growing, improving Pacers -- but it's so awesome to see them landing just as many punches as they take.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

What I*'m happy right now is they're not backing down on the challenge. Game 1 expectations were the Bulls will bury down the Pacers from start to finish. But it took them 40+ points from Rose and a lucky break from an open 3 by Korver to win by just 5.

All of the guys we expected to show up definitely showed up. Hibbert, DC, Danny and Tyler have definitely showed up. Price and Rush really have helped in a big way. Hopefully more from our bench will produce on the next games.

One of my favorite parts from the game was after the Hansbrough steal and slam, when ESPN cut to Larry Bird in the crowd, and he had this little smile on his face like "I knew it"

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

As someone who has been somewhat critical towards Vogel, I thought he was great today. Although I want a different game plan devised to guard Rose.

I loved the poise and composure I saw in Hansbrough, Hibbert, and Collison, that was extremely impressive to me
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-17-2011 at 12:34 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Tyler was incredible.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Danny's second half was fantastic too. He didn't just disappear. He stormed back.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

I thought Vogel coached a great game today, although I am still on the fence about the technical. I can see how you want to show you are going to bat for your team, but let's face it, we can't afford to give away free points. Still, hard to call it a mistake.

At first, I was also wondering why we weren't going in to Hibbert at the end of the game like we had at the beginning, but hard to find fault in going with the other hot hands.

Very proud of the overall team effort today. If we play every game as hard, we are going to win back some fans.

Great thread.

Semi-OT, watching Rose go in and get a foul over and over like clockwork reminded me of the Colts/Chargers playoff game a couple years ago where Sproles kept going for 10-20 yard carries every time and the punter kept pinning Indy back inside the 10. Anyone else get that feeling?

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smj887 For This Useful Post:

Great effort, played every possession like it was life or death. Just gotta bring the same intensity each game now!

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I think if we come out and match the intensity and gameplan with a change to the ending then I think it will be quite the statement and at least get inside the Bulls' heads. It would also be a little disappointing for us but we could essentially say we were about 2 minutes away from being 2 - 0 and headed back to Indiana. I would settle for stealing homecourt advantage though by winning this next one.

Mood

My positive thought was, "Hey we can really hang with these guys". Now if we can steal one from them at their home and take homecourt advantage that would be fine. If we can steal the next one from them it would be big coming home tied and the bulls having to deal with area 55. We are a young team and did what really young teams do at the end of close games. Hopefully we can win a few and possibly wear down the bulls a bit and with our young legs somehow steal this series.

Quote Originally Posted by smj887 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great thread.

Semi-OT, watching Rose go in and get a foul over and over like clockwork reminded me of the Colts/Chargers playoff game a couple years ago where Sproles kept going for 10-20 yard carries every time and the punter kept pinning Indy back inside the 10. Anyone else get that feeling?
    Unless the officiating had to do with punt placement or blocking I'm not really sure i get where your going with that comparison.

I'm encouraged and discouraged at the same time this game.

It's great to see the pacers not back down and take it to the number one seed for 46 minutes.

It's sad to see them play 46 of the best minutes of the season and still not get the W.

Biggest positive for me was Hans...That man is playoff basketball personified. He was tough every time he got the ball. He made good decisions. I even like the hard foul on Rose, he looked at Deng like he was welcoming him to playoff basketball.

All the love post for bringing Josh Smith here could stop for me. I'll take him on the cheap, but i wouldn't give up much. I think we have our power forward.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thefeistyone View Post
    Unless the officiating had to do with punt placement or blocking I'm not really sure i get where your going with that comparison.
    I think he means it felt similar in a "my team is going to lose because there's one specific, annoying thing that we just can't stop" kind of way. I get the comparison.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by smj887 View Post
    Great thread.

Actually reminded me of the '06 Finals against Dallas when the refs decided Dwayne Wade should be treated like a glass vase.

I think we all knew that these playoffs were going to be a learning experience for the young players. We start a rookie and 2 second year players. It's a ridiculously young team. Even if it ends up being a sweep George, Collison, Hibbert, Hansbrough, and all of the young guys just got 4 playoff games under their belts.

This team is going to be better than an 8 seed next year.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I have not enjoyed watching a baskeball game like that in as long as I can remember. As one poster above mentioned, I loved Larry Birds look when Hansbrough was balling. To me, Larry Bird is reliving his glory days vicariously through Hansbrough...you can tell Larry see's a bit of himself in the kid.

Also, as much crap as Brandon Rush gets from all of us (deservedly so sometimes) he played excellent defense tonight. How many teams have a SG who can guard power forwards in the post. I'd like to keep Brandon Rush on this team moving forward, obviously as a bench player. A SG rotation of George/Rush has some SERIOUS potential in 2 years. Rush is who he is...he's not a guy whose going to be consistent during the regular season, but MAYBE what we are seeing is a guy who will step up for big games.

Also, AJ Price is a badass. I don't care about his shooting percentage, that guy is a winner. If Collison/Price could consistently play like they did last night, you have no worries at the PG position. AJ Price is probably over confident, but I love that compared to the alternative.

My only complaint would be Josh McRoberts/Dunleavy who just looked like they didn't belong. I'm a fan of both those guys, but they really just looked lost. (more Josh, than Mike.)

Last night showed why the bulls are a 62 win team. Pacers played the best game of baketball they have played all year...almost as perfect as you could play...and still lost.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

i know that we lost but when u think about the bulls are trying to their job and win there 2 home games, we have to win our 2 home games and steal game 5

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, at least for right now, it seems that almost out of nowhere, we have the better PF in this series. I saw how well Tyler played in the season, but they had an All-Star on him and now only did Tyler shut him down, but proved that unless you are oversized, YOU CANNOT GAURD HIM. (Which is funny, because isn't Tyler himself supposed to be undersized?) This is going to be a good series, because I think the PG battle is the only one we are clear-cut losers at, though seeing how well Collison played, maybe not as clear-cut as we thought. This game makes me think we can get a third home game this series.

Carmel HS Class of 2011