Thread: Reggie vows to be more aggressive

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Reggie vows to be more aggressive

Interesting Article I found, Reggie says he is going to try to play like 3 or 4 years ago, and leaves the door open for playing in 2005-2006

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...9835076.htm?1c

Posted on Mon, Oct. 04, 2004

Pacers open training camp with Reggie vowing to be more aggressive

STEVE HERMAN

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS - Reggie Miller begins what might be his final NBA training camp determined to be more aggressive, maybe even a little selfish. Who could blame him?

Last season, Miller scored the fewest points of his 17-year career, preferring to let his younger Indiana Pacers teammates take the shots and the spotlight. Despite an NBA-best 61 victories in the regular season, however, Indiana failed to give Miller his first championship.

The bitter aftertaste is what motivated him all summer.

"I put a lot of time in, especially into conditioning my legs as well as my shot," the 39-year-old Miller said Monday, a day before the start of camp. "I'm looking to play how I played three or four years ago, especially in the postseason."

Miller, with 24,305 points in 1,323 games, is second among active NBA players in career scoring and third in games played. He was bothered last summer by an ankle injury he suffered during the World Basketball Championships and averaged just 10 points a game for the season, then turned down a chance to play on the U.S. Olympic team this year to let his body heal.

"I've got to get a little bit more of my aggression back," he said. "I want to be a little more aggressive, especially on the offensive end, because I believe I can help this team out with perimeter shooting."

That's fine with coach Rick Carlisle.

"I have to defer to his judgment. He's the guy that's played 18 years," Carlisle said. "He's been a guy that's been unusually willing to defer to the younger guys on this team. ... I think all of us would welcome him being a little more aggressive at times."

Miller will remain a starter, at least going into the season, Carlisle said.

But Reggie won't say whether this will be his final season. He's under contract only for this year but has an option to return next year if he wants. And that likely will be determined by his health and by how well the Pacers fare.

"I'm going to let my body do its talking," he said. "I know I have (possibly) two years left, but I'm going to play it by ear. As for now, I'm focusing on this year, and we'll see about the option year."

The 61 victories last year marked a franchise record and gave Indiana the homecourt advantage in the playoffs. Still, the Pacers lost twice at home, falling to eventual champion Detroit in the Eastern Conference finals.

"Did they have the best talent? Obviously, I don't think so. But they were the best team," Miller said.

The Pacers hope to bolster their depth this season with Stephen Jackson, who was on San Antonio's 2003 championship team and played last year with Atlanta, where he averaged career-highs with 18.1 points and 4.6 rebounds. Jackson came to Indiana this summer in a trade with the Hawks for Al Harrington.

"It only makes us a better team. That's the ultimate goal, to field a team that can win a championship," Miller said.

Jackson, a starter with Atlanta, said he's so excited being with the Pacers, he won't mind coming off the bench.

"From going to San Antonio to Atlanta was a setback, but it was also a blessing in disguise," he said. "I've got a great opportunity to learn from Reggie. This is a chance of a lifetime for me that I must take advantage of."

The Pacers also acquired free agent guard Eddie Gill, who was a CBA All-Star and played 22 games with Portland late last season, and drafted 7-footer David Harrison and guard Rashad Wright. O'Neal and Ron Artest, the NBA defensive player of the year, return up front, along with Miller and Jamaal Tinsley in the backcourt and Jeff Foster at center.

Other reserves back this year include Jonathan Bender, Austin Croshere, Anthony Johnson, Fred Jones, James Jones and Scot Pollard.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Default Re: Reggie vows to be more aggressive

Thank you Reg!!I have always believed if you were more aggressive you could still put up the points and you will.And I think he will come back after this year.He is in really good shape for a 39 year old.I say he will average 15+ pts.Don't call me crazy yet he did average 18 in the 2001-2002 season the first with J.O. he was 36 or 35 I think.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I like this. I have no problem with Reg starting all season if he would just stop passing up open shots, and is in a little better condition to get his shots off easier.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

He averaged a little over 18 in 2000-2001(JO's first year), four years ago at the age of 35. He averaged just over 16, 3 years ago at the age of 36. Then he messed his ankles up.

I would be stunned if Reggie played like he did in 01 or 02. The age and the ankle injury took their toll on him. There is a big difference between age 35/36 and age 39. I just dont think Reggie can perform at a level like he did a few years ago.
    [edit=117=1096942142][/edit]

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll believe it when he proves he's the first person in history to turn back the natural effects of aging.

He can vow to be more aggressive until he's blue in the face. I expect to see the same old Reggie (unfortunately, with the emphasis on old) when the season starts.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Two years ago I know he was hurting. I thought his wheels were healthy last season?

That said, he needs to be more aggressive. Having a shooting guard who doesn't shoot is usually not a good thing.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Banned

Saying it and doing it are very different things. His brain can write the check, but can his body cash it? I don't know. It will be interesting to see, but I'm afraid that he is risking a little bit of superstar reputation by hanging around too long (like Willie Mays did).

If he can go out like John Elway, after a championship, that would be great. But if the Pacers are going to win a championship it might best if Reggie is in more of a supportive role.

It's good that he's saying the right things, but I don't think he's being realistic.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saying it and doing it are very different things. His brain can write the check, but can his body cash it? I don't know. It will be interesting to see, but I'm afraid that he is risking a little bit of superstar reputation by hanging around too long (like Willie Mays did).

If he can go out like John Elway, after a championship, that would be great. But if the Pacers are going to win a championship it might best if Reggie is in more of a supportive role.

It's good that he's saying the right things, but I don't think he's being realistic.
    So true

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Two years ago I know he was hurting. I thought his wheels were healthy last season?

That said, he needs to be more aggressive. Having a shooting guard who doesn't shoot is usually not a good thing.
    Supposedly the problem last year was that he didn't have time to get his body in shape, so he started off behind everyone else, which is definitely not where you want to be at age 38.

I'm of the mind that I'll believe it when I see it. Proponents of Reggie will say that his percentages were right at career norms, so he can easily crank it up. The fact is that those "career norms" came with a guy in his face, being the focal point of the offense, and the opposing defense. Last years percentages were mostly wide open shots. At times last year, teams dared him to shoot, which I never thought I'd see. He did make them pay occasionally, but not like in the past, when he would have dropped 40+ on them.

I really do hope Reggie returns to form, because that means there will be no SG controversy, and most importantly, Ron Artest won't feel that he needs to take a ton of 3s all year long

GEL

I don't know about you guys, but I think that every player should give it all every game. I know that is not realistic, but that is where their brains should be.

I always admired the fact that Reggie so unselfishly deferred to the younger guys to build their confidence and see what they could do. But now it's time to see what the team can do while cranking on all cylinders.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It also mentions possible retirement at year's end.

I don't carry anybody's jock but for a guy I started out hating, he's become a fav and he can do whatever he wants.
    If Ernie Banks is Mr. Cub then Reggie is Mr. Pacer.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Well, this is good news either way. If Reggie is being aggressive and the points aren't coming, we'll know that we should bring Jackson in the starting lineup. If Reggie does average 15 or more a game again, then he keeps his job without everyone crying about it all year.
    Can we get a new color commentator please?

Well, this is good news either way. If Reggie is being aggressive and the points aren't coming, we'll know that we should bring Jackson in the starting lineup. If Reggie does average 15 or more a game again, then he keeps his job without everyone crying about it all year.
    Can we get a new color commentator please?

If Reggie averaged 15 or more, I'd be stunned.............It just isn't happening.

MZahm

I'm more concerned with his efficiency than his output. If he always takes the open shot and makes most of them, forcing the other team to cover him tight it should help the spacing. I do hope he steps it up in the playoffs if JO and/or Ron struggle in a games. That would give us an element of unpredictability that would be a big advantage. If he averages 8-12 ppg and shoots like 45% and 40% in the RS, and drops 20 on a team when JO or Ron struggles I'll consider that pretty good.

I'm gonna disagree with everyone in that I DO expect the Reggie of old (I.e. 2001-02 level), I just expect it for much shorter periods of time. He's always worked hard on his game and his fitness. He may be 39, but considering his work ethic and his game, he won't be affected by it as badly others might be. The one thing people don't seem to have factored in, is that being 38/39, it would take that much longer for his body to heal completely, especially if he's doing things that 39 year olds generally shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MZahm
    I'm more concerned with his efficiency than his output. If he always takes the open shot and makes most of them, forcing the other team to cover him tight it should help the spacing. I do hope he steps it up in the playoffs if JO and/or Ron struggle in a games. That would give us an element of unpredictability that would be a big advantage. If he averages 8-12 ppg and shoots like 45% and 40% in the RS, and drops 20 on a team when JO or Ron struggles I'll consider that pretty good.

I'm gonna disagree with everyone in that I DO expect the Reggie of old (I.e. 2001-02 level), I just expect it for much shorter periods of time. He's always worked hard on his game and his fitness. He may be 39, but considering his work ethic and his game, he won't be affected by it as badly others might be. The one thing people don't seem to have factored in, is that being 38/39, it would take that much longer for his body to heal completely, especially if he's doing things that 39 year olds generally shouldn't.

I expect the Reggie of old too. I'm thus also expecting Jackson to be 6th man of the year. Of course . . . (drumroll) . . . Bender could beat him out of it.